Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Few other napoleonic games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Few other napoleonic games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Few other napoleonic games - 2/4/2006 5:26:44 PM   
Zakhal

Before starting with crown of glory I decided to make the experience more worthwhile by reading the whole napoleonic history (i have big gaps in that) and playing other two napoleonic games first.

Emperor

This game is kind of similar to crown of glory (1989 version of CoG) so I decided to play this first. From the short testing I did the game is pretty good and the AI is challenging even though its 17 years old. I got my ass kicked in the first battle and it was fun.

I have to finish all four campaigns atleast to a draw (or what was achieved in history) before going on to the next game.

Available at:
http://www.abandonia.com/games/506/L'Empereur

Fields of Glory

This game does not have the strategic campaign but the AI is decent and the graphics are okay even though the game is from 1993. The game is composed of napoleons battles in waterloo so its perfect to play after conquering the europe in Emperor. I actually remember the games review 13 years back in the "Pelit"-games magazine. It got pretty decent grades.

I have to finish all battles atleast to a draw (or what was achieved in history) before going on to the next game (Crown of Glory).

Available at:
http://www.abandonia.com/games/106/FieldsofGlory

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 2/4/2006 5:33:51 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Post #: 1
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/4/2006 6:03:01 PM   
garoco

Yes both were very good games. My prefer was L´Empereur of KOEI. Fantastic game to DOS format.
In the year 1996 more or less, I had like a year playing it. This was fever, truly.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 2
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/5/2006 6:17:34 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL
thanks, I been playing Col for the last two days, that really was a good game back then, in fact, I think it was better then, then now, I don't ever remember it crashing on me

(Hammer of the Gods won't play, dang, I liked that one too)

(in reply to garoco)
Post #: 3
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/5/2006 8:28:56 PM   
malthaussen

There are a lot of good old DOS games that just won't run on Windows XP, more's the pity. I've been wanting to get an old laptop with, say, Win95 for awhile, just to play some of them.

Fortunately, Jagged Alliance 2 works just fine under XP:)

-- Mal

"Of two choices, I always take the third."

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 4
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/5/2006 8:37:32 PM   
Zakhal

You can use Dosbox+VDM sound to run DOS games on winxp. There is not a single old game that I havent yet managed to run with it.

Dosbox+VDMsound
http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=programs

The real problem is win95 games which wont run on anything. For them you need a real w95 to install on a whole another PC or virtual one on the XP (i.e Microsoft Virtual PC).

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to malthaussen)
Post #: 5
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/6/2006 3:42:44 PM   
Hard Sarge

yea,I went back and went in to read what they had to say about compatalbty (ahh like typeing and my spelling)

and I got the dosbox 63, Hammer worked great

little fussy to set up, but works

(any way to expand the dosbox ? )

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 6
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/6/2006 4:11:06 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL
and I am the kind who always asks if you read the read me files :)

found it, didn't see it under commands when I looked last time, Alt+Enter does the trick

a shame the game plays so slowly though

(Dang Saxonys ruined my plans !!!!)

(beside, what they doing in Northeast Russia to start with :)

Kewl that dosbox looks like it should work with the UFO games too !!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/6/2006 7:38:58 PM   
Zakhal

You can try speed up the game with by pressing ctrl+f12. ctrl+f11 slows it. It might not work though, dosbox is extremely demanding on the machinery.

Old games that need more cpu (mechwarrior 2) I run on Virtual PC + DOS5/W98 under winxp.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/6/2006 8:14:38 PM   
Hard Sarge

ahh okay kewl

I did see some of that but wasn't understanding all of it

well my beasty may not be cutting edge, but it got a lot of horsepower and ramm (AI side of the game is taking between 5 to 10 minutes, but I have been able to do some good reading)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 9
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/17/2006 7:57:29 PM   
msaario

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

Just as a side note, I used to beta test that. I should still have a beta CD somewhere... Ah those early to mid 90's...

Never fancied the game that much though - found it ok.

Like Zakhal, I am making a transfer to the Napoleonic era (and WitP is being discarded). Got excited about it by getting the awesome book "1812 - Fatal March to Moscow" by Zamoyski (a MUST read) while waiting for my flight. A few days after that ordered a bunch of DVD's and now I am looking for the original Russian "War and Peace" movie (available on the net at least)...

--Mikko

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 10
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/17/2006 11:30:20 PM   
kev_uk

quote:

ORIGINAL: msaario

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

Just as a side note, I used to beta test that. I should still have a beta CD somewhere... Ah those early to mid 90's...

Never fancied the game that much though - found it ok.

Like Zakhal, I am making a transfer to the Napoleonic era (and WitP is being discarded). Got excited about it by getting the awesome book "1812 - Fatal March to Moscow" by Zamoyski (a MUST read) while waiting for my flight. A few days after that ordered a bunch of DVD's and now I am looking for the original Russian "War and Peace" movie (available on the net at least)...

--Mikko

I am currently reading 1812...good book so far, lots of good facts and the comparison with the nazi invasion is really quite spooky. What DVDs did you order?
I managed to get hold of a copy of David Chandlers 'Campaigns of Napoleon', which runs in at over 1000 pages and is the definitve military account of Naps campaigns. Hard to get hold of now though, as it has not been re-published for some time (my copy dates from 1993). I also have War and Peace to read after 1812...not for the faint hearted though, its a massive book...
Kev

(in reply to msaario)
Post #: 11
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/18/2006 10:51:30 AM   
msaario

Kev,

I found these at Amazon (and take a look at the "new or used" section - I got mine brand new for half the price from Bargaindiscs or something - good service):

"Napoleon 1812 - The Road To Moscow"
"Austerlitz 1805 - Napoleon's Greatest Triumph"
"Battle of Borodino"
etc.

I suppose these might run in Discovery but currently I haven't got any pay tv. They cost me around 5 pounds a piece plus s&h.

There is an extensive use of the Russian "War and Peace" footage (a bit repetitive though as they use those in several discs) to enhance the documentary.

I also got interested (by Zamoyski's book) to take a look at Charles XII's attack of Russia a hundred years earlier and leading up to the battle of Poltava. Indeed, only now I can start putting these events in the "map" - always known about poltava and borodino, but never had an idea when they happened and why. I've been too immersed with the WW2 stuff all along.

And started to take the bus to work so I can read the book...

It is good to know history

--Mikko

< Message edited by msaario -- 2/18/2006 10:52:43 AM >

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 12
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/18/2006 2:22:59 PM   
malthaussen

Sounds like you guys are following a typical grognard's progression: first interested in the Big One (WWII) and then moving back in time to Napoleon and earlier eras. Soon, you'll be learning about the 30 Years War and musket/pike tactics, while discovering the virtues of Gustavus Adolphus, one of the greatest captains of history...

Then the Romans, probably.:)

I'm kind of surprised that Chandler's book is currently o/p, since it has never been surpassed AFAIK. It's good only for the campaigns in which Napoleon was personally involved, however. There's a book called Napoleon's Marshals which gives bios and analysis of all of them, written by various experts in the field. Of course, the bibliography on the Napoleonic era is massive, but you don't want to ignore the Revolutionary era just before it, which started the whole ball rolling. As Boney said, "Without the Revolution, I am nothing."

-- Mal

(in reply to msaario)
Post #: 13
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/18/2006 9:42:06 PM   
msaario

Well, actually I have a collection of Roman era books... My only problem is time.

Sooo many Roman emperors to remember!

By expanding out of WW2, I have to admit that it really becomes interesting to see how our civilization ("4" - if you get it) has evolved. All those interconnections between leaders, countries and events.

So much to read, so little time (with two kids)!!

--Mikko

Post #: 14
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/18/2006 10:49:33 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL in the old days of computer games, that was the best time to read was while you played a game, plot your turn, then sit back and wait on the AI to plot it's turn, I could get in a good chapter most times

(in reply to msaario)
Post #: 15
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/19/2006 12:42:16 AM   
pixelpusher

A good short overview /intro is The Napoleonic Wars, by Gunther Rothenberg. Part of the Cassell History of Warfare series, which is edited by John Keegan. I'm sure Eric and Gil have better in-depth reccomendations, though.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 16
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/19/2006 4:48:25 PM   
malthaussen

LOL, I remember when I was 18 making out a huge bibliography of history books I wanted to read in the next couple of years.

A generation later, I still haven't gotten to all of them.:)

Incidentally, if you're rich and can afford them, or near a decent research library who has them, Oman's History of the Peninsular War is a lovely read. Old-fashioned non-pc history, from an opinionated master. Gotta love it, all ten (or is it twelve?) volumes.

-- Mal

(in reply to pixelpusher)
Post #: 17
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/19/2006 6:28:15 PM   
kev_uk

quote:

As Boney said, "Without the Revolution, I am nothing."

This is true. Its also worth noting that the whole early military successes of France post-1789, when she was at war with nearly everyone (1792 onwards), was down to revolutionary elan, i.e the belief in what they had achieved in France from the revolution could be spread across Europe..the belief in themselves. This combined with things like promotion through merit instead of by birthright, and the levee en masse, esprite de corps etc revolutionised the army, allowing for spectacular victories against overwhelming odds (the whole of Europe was arrayed against them after all). The ideas of the ordinary French soldiers, very probably of peasant stock, fighting against the ancien regimes of Prussia, Austria etc, was to spread enlightenment ideas across Europe; after all they had been emancipated from their landlords and nobles, why not liberate Austrian/Prussian serfs as well?
As far as I can see reading 1812, one of Naps biggest mistakes was to not utilise this message, these revolutionary ideals, and aim for peasant uprisings and liberate Poland at the same time. Tut tut...

Kev

Post #: 18
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/20/2006 5:04:29 PM   
ericbabe

Chandler's "The Campaigns of Napoleon" is probably the single most valuable resource asset I used when making design notes for COG. The various books by Haythornthwaite were excellent too -- best resources for obscure OOB. I'm surprised that Chandler's out of print (I found my copy in a used-book store.)

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 19
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/20/2006 9:33:51 PM   
malthaussen

I see there is a reissue of Chandler available through Amazon USA; the retail price of 50+ USD is high, but not unreasonable considering what books cost today. And there are used copies available through the Marketplace for 15-25 USD.

Another terrific (and old) resource is Esposito and Elting's atlas and analysis of the campaigns. I never could afford it (lol), and it still ain't cheap used.

-- Mal

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 20
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/21/2006 11:49:07 PM   
Husard

50 USD indeed is a reasonable price. I went to my local Bookstore and they were able to get one of the last available copies from one of the most expensive countries, book-wise, in Europe (Switzerland). I bought it for +-100 USD and until now i didn't regret buying it.

Post #: 21
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 2/28/2006 1:37:47 AM   
Black Mamba 1942

I'm glad that I still have my 30 year old copy that cost me $30, brand new.

The West Point Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars is a must have.

< Message edited by Black Mamba 1942 -- 2/28/2006 1:39:26 AM >

(in reply to Husard)
Post #: 22
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 3/12/2006 8:04:20 AM   
ptan54

I bought mine off eBay for $25. 1967 version, pretty good.

(in reply to Black Mamba 1942)
Post #: 23
RE: Few other napoleonic games - 3/12/2006 5:19:12 PM   
malthaussen

Actually, the West Point Atlas is a very inferior product (unless, of course, they've updated it in the last 40 years, lol). Esposito and Elting have it beaten all hollow.

-- Mal

(in reply to ptan54)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Few other napoleonic games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI