Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Best weapon systems of WWII

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Best weapon systems of WWII Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Best weapon systems of WWII - 3/2/2006 9:09:13 AM   
Jullutin

Best personal weapon: Suomi smg.

"Best soldier in war is one who has accepted that he has already died. Time,place or way is unrelevant"

(in reply to Einar Fridgeirs)
Post #: 31
RE: Best weapon systems of WWII - 3/2/2006 3:21:33 PM   
PimpYourAFV

The M-1 Garand and the 1891/30 Mosin Nagant won WW2 for the allies and therefore are the best weapon systems of the war.

The Mosin Nagant killed more Germans than any other weapon used in the war. Over 17 million of these rifles were made and used to defend Russia in WW2. The Mosin was also used by the North Koreans and Chinese to defeat the UN forces and force them to agree to recognize the communist state. The finnish M/28 is their version of the Mosin Nagant and was used by Simo Hayha to score over 500 kills.

The Garand was used in both US theatres in WW2 as well as in Korea and still mass produced until 1957 when the M-14 took over as the main army rifle.

(in reply to Jullutin)
Post #: 32
RE: Best weapon systems of WWII - 3/3/2006 7:07:30 AM   
forgorin

German U boats. They struck the fear of God into all sailors in the Atlantic.

Gives me the willies just thinking of this thing stalking me in the middle of know where!

Attachment (1)

Stress is the confusion created when ones own mind over rides the bodies desire to choke the living **** out of some asshole who really deserves it!

(in reply to Einar Fridgeirs)
Post #: 33
RE: Best weapon systems of WWII - 3/3/2006 12:34:10 PM   
Zardoz

hm........

I think that I diagree in many points..

best artillery:

88 is not an artillery device, it was sometimes used as artillery, i. e. for indirect fire, but this was obvioulsy not the best use; also, as AT weapon it is much overrated, I think; the myth results especially from the desert war where in the beginning the UK tanks could not fire HE rounds, this gave the 88 crews a chance to survive; I thin the 7,5 Pak was much better, especially because it was much smaller; even in the game I prefer a 7,5 PaK than an 88...

maybe the UK 17 pounder was best..?

I assume that US artillery was best...

best tank

hm....T34 was rather reliable an cheap; however..on long rang, it was even no matchfor the PzKpfW IV H; still, I think the Panther was the best tank evene considering that they had technical problems...but front armor and gunnery were much, much better...kill ratios were tremendeous..

best rifle

I do not know..I heard that the British Lee Enfield was very good

best MG

definitely MG 42...no discussion..I myself shot with the MG3 the moden version still in use in the German army..I remember an exercise where a company "attacked" in a wave acroos a field...two MGs from our postion fired and immmediately the "umpire" decides to break off the attack...

best fighter

Mustang, i think

best pistol

I do not know but I heard that the Colt was best if thrown *s*

"No other troops in the world but German paratroops could have stood up to such an ordeal and then gone on fighting with such ferocity" — Field Marshal Alexander.

(in reply to forgorin)
Post #: 34
RE: Best weapon systems of WWII - 3/3/2006 2:51:13 PM   
264rifle

When rating weapons like this years of use sometimes come into play. Later weapons should be better than early weapons. So I will agree with Zardoz on the 88 issue. It may have been the most famous but that does not mean it was the best. British 17pdr was the best AT-gun. Think of Panther gun and with with APDS later in the war the 17pdr could kill ANYTHING. British 6pdr wasn't bad for it's size and late in the war with the APDS it was still useful.

Game play vrs real life leads to some strange results. German taper bore AT guns were VERY effective but suffered from extreme barrel wear. In some cases 150-300 shots made the gun just about useless. In the game all of our guns are brand new, factory fresh for every battle. Using 88's for general artillery support was done but because it had to be done, not because the 88 was the best tool for the job. It used more propellant per pound of projectile delivered. It needed it's barrel replaced more often than a field gun. It was available however.

T-34 probably upset the Germans more in 1941 than the T-34/85 did when it came out because the Germans had tanks that could deal with the T-34/85 (not enough of them) unlike 1941.

British Lee-Enfield was the BEST BOLT action rifle. M-1 was best rifle. It was a "force multiplier". It allowed a given amount of men to have more influence in a battle than if they had been equipt with bolt action rifles. It also made up for the Americans trying to use BARs against MG-42s.

MG-42 might get the nod because it replaces 2 guns. It does the job of both the Vickers gun and the Bren. Maybe not quite as good at either job but maybe better in combining them

Best fighter almost goes year by year. Think of the effect of the Japanese Zero in the first few months of the Pacific war. Just a few hundred fighters spread panic among the allies from California to India.

Best pistol is still the .45 Colt 1911. Most reliable and if you couldn't hit with it it still made a better club.

(in reply to Zardoz)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Best weapon systems of WWII Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI