Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Panzer Command FAQ

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm >> RE: Panzer Command FAQ Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 6:31:10 AM   
Custer1961

Any idea on System Requirements for the game?

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 31
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 7:04:18 AM   
Arckon

quote:

Erik said:
At the 40 second mark, you hit the reaction phase. If you're happy with how things are going, you can just click to have it calculate another 40 seconds until the next orders phase, or you can adjust things a bit. The most you can do in the Reaction phase is tell a moving unit to halt and change targeting orders, you can't make more changes than that - it's basically a chance to react to new sightings or situations in a limited way. Once the next 40 seconds are done, you get to another Orders phase and so on until one side or another has won the scenario.

Thanks Erik, appreciated.

A couple more question if I may.

1/ For PBEM does it therefore mean 1 turn will take 2 email exchanges, 1 for your initial orders and then 1 for your reaction phase?

2/ Aprox how long does the giving orders phase take? I realise it may differ as to the size of the scenario you are playing but anyway to give a rough idea?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 32
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 1:07:49 PM   
Iron Duke

Hi,

any screenshots of built up areas - villages , towns or cities ?

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

Post #: 33
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 2:14:18 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

Hi,

Are there any? The nearest significant city would presumably have been Stalingrad. I found some campaign maps with a few place-names, but I've no idea if they wereany larger than villages or not.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 34
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 3:26:30 PM   
Iron Duke

Hi

Must be villages and Towns at least , southern Russia wasn't a waste land ?

Also when [ 19?? - 19?? ] is the game set ?

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 35
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 3:49:01 PM   
Arckon

quote:

Hi,

C'mon Ironduke can't you play after combined is out.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 36
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 3:56:23 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Also when [ 19?? - 19?? ] is the game set ?

"Winter Storm" was the attempt to relieve 6th Army at Stalingrad. I'd assume that the campaign at least would be limited to December 1942?

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 37
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 3:59:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, at present the German campaign starts on December 12th and the Soviet campaign ends on December 29th, IIRC.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 38
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 4:00:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

Brad,

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
If you can, could you also show a screenshot of hilly terrain? Thanks...

Not a lot of that in this campaign, I'll see what I can find.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 39
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 4:05:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Custer
Any idea on System Requirements for the game?

The only thing I can say for sure at this point would be that while it plays on as little as a 32Mb video card, we're going to recommend a 64Mb as the minimum acceptable performance level and I think a good 128Mb+ card will really be ideal. A good CPU won't hurt as some of the graphics work is handled in software for compatibilty, but it's not required. Since this is a modern 3D engine with a variety of effects, it can pretty much take as much hardware as you throw at it. We allow you to set resolution, texture quality, anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering when you launch the game. Shadows can also be set and the game auto-chooses the defaults based on a quick evaluation of your system. If you've played previous Koios Works games, if your system can run Julius Caesar well, it should work fine with this though it's a bit more demanding.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Custer1961)
Post #: 40
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 4:09:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arckon
1/ For PBEM does it therefore mean 1 turn will take 2 email exchanges, 1 for your initial orders and then 1 for your reaction phase?

Yes, BUT the system allows both players to do their turns simultaneously, so you don't have to wait for your opponent to finish his reaction before you can do yours, for example. A bit tough to explain, but it does speed things up over the usual purely sequential process.

quote:

2/ Aprox how long does the giving orders phase take? I realise it may differ as to the size of the scenario you are playing but anyway to give a rough idea?

Really does depend. It doesn't take long for me at all honestly. The first turn is the longest as you look over the battlefield and set initial orders. Also, when in the midst of a heavy engagement, some players prefer to set their own targets and ammo, others let the auto-targeting handle it and that makes a difference in time as well. For me personally the first turn orders usually take 5 minutes or so, the others take about 1-2 minutes. I often spend more time looking through the replays than giving orders.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Arckon)
Post #: 41
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 4:10:03 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Sure, there will be some forthcoming - villages and towns.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 42
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 4:11:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
Are there any? The nearest significant city would presumably have been Stalingrad. I found some campaign maps with a few place-names, but I've no idea if they wereany larger than villages or not.

For the most part, you're dealing with villages, some factories/storage yards, collectives and rail facilities as well as vast tracts of land with plains, woods, roads and rivers.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 43
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 5:47:52 PM   
Brady

WOW, this looks like fun, cant wait to see it come to thruation

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

Post #: 44
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 6:35:42 PM   
Arckon

quote:

Erik said:
Really does depend. It doesn't take long for me at all honestly. The first turn is the longest as you look over the battlefield and set initial orders. Also, when in the midst of a heavy engagement, some players prefer to set their own targets and ammo, others let the auto-targeting handle it and that makes a difference in time as well. For me personally the first turn orders usually take 5 minutes or so, the others take about 1-2 minutes. I often spend more time looking through the replays than giving orders.

Thanks Erik,
Thats great, stated was going to be compared to combat mission, and when I played that years ago I found the turns just took too long. As long as they are under 15 min a turn I'll be happy.

Post #: 45
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/18/2006 7:25:02 PM   
benpark

Erik-

Is a German breakthrough to southern Stalingrad possible in the game?

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Arckon)
Post #: 46
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 6:48:37 AM   
ravinhood

Erik any chance of a turn save log feature sorta like MTW had? Where one could save all the turns and then watch it like a movie afterwards?

Oh and April sounds really nice. Those guys at Koios have really been burning the midnight oil I guess. I might actually buy two "retail" games this year. lol

And I guess the all time inevitable question: How's the AI??

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 2/19/2006 6:50:39 AM >

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 47
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 5:13:58 PM   
hank

Very interesting looking.

? ... When navigating the battle field, are the view controls similar to "Ground Control" or "Steelbeasts" where you can fly around the terrain above your vehicle to look at the disposition of your forces and those of the enemies that are visible from the ground?

I'll be watching this one.

hank

Post #: 48
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 7:55:24 PM   
Acacius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Hi,

Here are some village and town shots as well as a small refinery area we added.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 49
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 7:56:51 PM   
Acacius

(in reply to Acacius)
Post #: 50
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 7:58:59 PM   
Acacius

(in reply to Acacius)
Post #: 51
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 8:03:00 PM   
junk2drive

The graphics are good enough if the gameplay is there. Thanks for the shots.

(in reply to Acacius)
Post #: 52
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 8:03:44 PM   
Acacius

(in reply to Acacius)
Post #: 53
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 9:20:25 PM   
benpark

Looking good.

How are infantry in buildings handled?

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Acacius)
Post #: 54
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 9:32:43 PM   
junk2drive

Add to that, are multistories modeled?

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 55
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 10:08:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark
Is a German breakthrough to southern Stalingrad possible in the game?

No, it really wasn't possible historically given the Soviet deployments so it's not possible here. The German intelligence on what they were facing was not great and once the 2nd Guards Army started deploying in front of them near the Myshkova River, they had no chance. On top of that, Little Saturn was launched against Italian 8th Army, which necessitated the withdrawal of the 6th Panzer (the strongest of the three Panzer divisions assigned to WinterStorm) along with 48th Panzer Korps (which was unable to help earlier due to problems of its own along the Chir). In short, the Germans were in a very bad situation and I'm not sure even Thunderclap could have helped them, had Hitler authorized it. If somehow the 48th and 57th worked together and Thunderclap happened before the 2nd Guards Army was redeployed, then perhaps something could have come of it in terms of at least some of 6th Armee reaching friendly lines, but that's still debatable.

With all that said, the Germans have a very interesting campaign to fight and succeeding in all battles will put you a bit ahead of their historical progress, but the real goal is to preserve and improve your forces - winning at the lowest possible cost.

It's also possible for someone (including us) to design an alternate campaign in the future that explores some more hypotheticals or unlikely situations as well as extending the existing campaign to allow a drive further on as long as the player's forces hold out. Historically though, there were very severe limits on what the Germans could hope to accomplish because of both the operational and strategic situations.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 56
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 10:10:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
Erik any chance of a turn save log feature sorta like MTW had? Where one could save all the turns and then watch it like a movie afterwards?

Not currently planned, but I'll inquire on what that would take. I'm guessing it would be a major additional feature.

quote:

Oh and April sounds really nice. Those guys at Koios have really been burning the midnight oil I guess. I might actually buy two "retail" games this year. lol

Yes, the midnight oil quota at both Matrix and Koios has been extremely high for a while now.

quote:

And I guess the all time inevitable question: How's the AI??

Seems good to me already, but Koios are also still tweaking it as we go.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 57
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 10:12:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hank,

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank
? ... When navigating the battle field, are the view controls similar to "Ground Control" or "Steelbeasts" where you can fly around the terrain above your vehicle to look at the disposition of your forces and those of the enemies that are visible from the ground?

I'm not sure of the view controls you reference. However, you can definitely zoom out and zoom in. You never see enemies that your troops/tanks haven't spotted though you can look over the whole battlefield in terms of seeing the terrain. The spotting of your units determines what can be seen and each unit individually tracks what it can and can't see.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 58
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 10:13:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark
How are infantry in buildings handled?

Infantry can enter buildings and in the case of some larger buildings can be higher up as well, for example a second floor or church steeple. Buildings make infantry much harder to spot and give them some protection against enemy fire.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 59
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 2/19/2006 10:51:07 PM   
ravinhood

Ok on this "reaction" phase. I noticed you called it a "turn based" game. Am I to assume we do all the targeting and firing for each unit ala SPWAW type during this reaction phase? And/or Does the AI automatically do some of the reaction fire if we should miss something more important or that it feels is more important ala Combat Mission? Also can the AI play itself. In other words will it play both sides if I do nothing but load a scenario, assuming is will have individual pickable scenarios as well as a campaign? You did sort of compare it to Panzer General and I seem to recall I could let the AI play itself and just watch. Same here or no?

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm >> RE: Panzer Command FAQ Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI