Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Panzer Command FAQ

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm >> RE: Panzer Command FAQ Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/21/2006 6:55:45 PM   
madorosh

Good answers, Erik, thanks, but you didn't respond to the questions on deformable terrain.....?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 91
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/21/2006 7:09:45 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael Dorosh

Good answers, Erik, thanks, but you didn't respond to the questions on deformable terrain.....?

He did :

quote:

Nope, no destructible terrain in this release, however it's definitely on the list. We want to start blowing up those buildings too!

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 92
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/21/2006 7:23:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

Michael,

quote:

I sort of buried it into the middle of another reply, sorry about that. To follow up, destructible buildings are very high on our future "to do list", they'll definitely get done and will be much more necessary for campaigns that are less about open terrain and tanks.

More terrain deformability beyond that we'd like to do as well, but haven't planned out yet.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 6/21/2006 7:24:13 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 93
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/21/2006 7:32:36 PM   
madorosh

Not caffeinated yet - sorry bout that!

I guess it is up to us to support the first release in order to get to the good stuff, eh....fair enough. You mention not having a 3D model editor in the game and I took that as a hint it might be possible you're considering including one in the same way that a map editor will be (hopefully) released? I've never seen a model editor included in any game release before - if so, that would be quite a coup. I would have loved to created models for OFP, for example, and many talented guys did just that, but downloading de-pbo, Oxygen, and a host of software with manuals written in Czech was too much for me to bear!

< Message edited by Michael Dorosh -- 6/21/2006 7:34:33 PM >

Post #: 94
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/21/2006 7:36:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

You mention not having a 3D model editor in the game - is it possible you'll ever have one included in the same way that a map editor will be (hopefully) released? I've never seen a model editor included in any game release - if so, that would be quite a coup.

Honestly, we hadn't even discussed that idea, so there are no plans for it at present. As for how difficult it would be, I'd imagine fairly darn so, since these are usually full applications in their own right, but it's worth bringing up in our next discussion to see what ideas it might generate. I think that having a model _viewer_ and texture swapper in-game is do-able and something I'd like to see in the future, but actual model editing is probably a tall order. We'll probably have a better idea of how tall once we've finished the map editor.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 95
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/21/2006 7:41:17 PM   
madorosh

Incidentally, what do you see as future titles in the series? I loved that Winter Storm is not another Arnhem or Battle of the Bulge game. I hope you'll continue to support lesser known but still interesting campaigns. 

If you want a suggestion, I've always thought the South Beveland campaign of October 1944 would lend itself well to coverage in a campaign type tactical game such as PC: OWS appears to be. The terrain is expansive but the forces are relatively small a Canadian Division with support by British commandos against a German whitebread division backed with StuGs and a parachute division. The battle advances from east to west, and culminates with amphibious landings on Walcheren Island to take out huge German bunkers there. Little bit of everything, and with the virtue of never having been the subject of a game before that I am aware of. Only drawback might be the terrain - it was low lying, open, and flooded.  Research materials are readily available, notably Whitaker's book TUG OF WAR - and I have access to wartime 1:25000 and 1:50000 scale maps of the entire area through our regimental museum. I had hoped to take the info and create an operational type game using CM to resolve the battles but never got beyond the planning stage - perhaps if CM:C takes off and they design one for CM:AK or even CM:X2.  Sounds like one of many battles to consider for Panzer Command though.

But I would still pay money for another Arnhem or KG Peiper game played out in Panzer Command, too, naturally. :)

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 96
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/21/2006 7:49:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Incidentally, what do you see as future titles in the series? I loved that Winter Storm is not another Arnhem or Battle of the Bulge game. I hope you'll continue to support lesser known but still interesting campaigns. 

Thanks, we've been thinking along similar lines, though we don't want to be completely obscure in our choices so there will likely be a mix of well known and less well known battles. We would like to allow for both sides to have a chance to attack and defend if possible as well. For the first expansion, while this is not set in stone, we were thinking about the Second Battle of Kharkov (May 1942).

quote:

If you want a suggestion, I've always thought the South Beveland campaign of October 1944 would lend itself well to coverage in a campaign type tactical game such as PC: OWS appears to be. The terrain is expansive but the forces are relatively small a Canadian Division with support by British commandos against a German whitebread division backed with StuGs and a parachute division. The battle advances from east to west, and culminates with amphibious landings on Walcheren Island to take out huge German bunkers there. Little bit of everything, and with the virtue of never having been the subject of a game before that I am aware of. Only drawback might be the terrain - it was low lying, open, and flooded.  Research materials are readily available, notably Whitaker's book TUG OF WAR - and I have access to wartime 1:25000 and 1:50000 scale maps of the entire area through our regimental museum. I had hoped to take the info and create an operational type game using CM to resolve the battles but never got beyond the planning stage - perhaps if CM:C takes off and they design one for CM:AK or even CM:X2.  Sounds like one of many battles to consider for Panzer Command though.

I will definitely take a look at that. Feel free to e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com with any suggestions on subject and reading material as the West Front campaign choice is still up in the air.

quote:

But I would still pay money for another Arnhem or KG Peiper game played out in Panzer Command, too, naturally. :)

I think we're bound to hit the famous battles eventually. Of course, once the map editor is released, I'm sure a lot of folks will be eager to fill in with their own works as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 97
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/21/2006 8:06:13 PM   
Marc von Martial

If you want to create 3D content for games there is simply no other choice then learning one of the various 3D modelling applications out there. There is no way a complete modelling and texturing application will ever be shipped with a game , Oxygen is rather limited.

I think people really underestimate how much of learning you have to do to actually model, animate and completly texture a tank (for example). It will take you quite a while to get that right. Most of the good modders out there have a graphic, CAD, or 3D background anyway.

However, we have been putting together a decent guide on how to ad 3D models, new units, mod textures, etc. for Panzer Command.
Doing and adding a complete new unit will need you to have a background in 3D, animating and 2D graphics.

We will go over this guide(s) in the next days and make it available after release.

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 98
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/21/2006 11:08:05 PM   
FNG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I will definitely take a look at that. Feel free to e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com with any suggestions on subject and reading material as the West Front campaign choice is still up in the air.

The Guns of War, George Blackburn, ISBN 1841192104
Blackburn was a FOO with the Canadian 2nd Div in NW Europe. Lots of excellent material

With The Jocks, Peter White, ISBN 0750930578
White was an infantry subaltern with the KOSB (King's Own Scottish Borderers). A superb book with significant detail of amphibious assault on Walcheren.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

Post #: 99
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/22/2006 12:28:57 AM   
Trigger Happy

quote:

ORIGINAL: FNG

The Guns of War, George Blackburn, ISBN 1841192104
Blackburn was a FOO with the Canadian 2nd Div in NW Europe. Lots of excellent material

And a damn good read at that!

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 100
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/22/2006 1:04:08 AM   
madorosh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

If you want to create 3D content for games there is simply no other choice then learning one of the various 3D modelling applications out there. There is no way a complete modelling and texturing application will ever be shipped with a game , Oxygen is rather limited.

I think people really underestimate how much of learning you have to do to actually model, animate and completly texture a tank (for example). It will take you quite a while to get that right. Most of the good modders out there have a graphic, CAD, or 3D background anyway.

heh, on the contrary, having downloaded some of the free software out there, I think I have a basic idea how much work it is...especially once you get into skinning things so they look like something real. Ah well, a boy can dream. I don't dream about modelling the Maus like some do; more like chrome stuff like those weird Belgian roadsigns, or applique track armour for tanks, stuff like that. By editing the tank armour data (though good luck with accurate ballistic info I guess), it might be possible to have the first game with such expedient armour included in anything but a cosmetic way.

Anyway, not to harp on the future; looking forward to June 30th. Just so happens to fall on the long weekend here in Canada...sweet. I expect to be a refresh monkey.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 101
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/22/2006 6:12:39 AM   
Panzer Leader R.I.P.

Hi, another COmbat Missionary here, excitedly awaiting this release.

I cant wait to play another 3D we-go tactical WW2 wargame!  It has been awhile.  I am most excited to hear that this game has a campaign game, and also the abilty to play scenarios.  I hope a 'quick-battle' feature is put into the game.

One of the things that made CM so excellent was its re-playabilty, and the reason it was replayable, was the ability for the customer to build scenarios, operations and MAPS.  I understand a map editor is not available, but we have the scenario/campaign option right?  As long as we use pre-made maps?

Also, if we can only use pre-made maps, can we expect some level of support, i.e. the developers releasing new maps/scenarios as time progresses.

Also, how much customizeabilty is their with modding?  Will the BMPs be moddable, and also will the unit data be moddable?

I am eager for this game to succeed, and look forward to it, my only concern is the level of continuting support it will get thru the developers AND thru a community given the proper tools.

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 102
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/22/2006 6:54:29 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Panzer Leader,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panzer Leader R.I.P.
Hi, another COmbat Missionary here, excitedly awaiting this release.
I cant wait to play another 3D we-go tactical WW2 wargame! It has been awhile. I am most excited to hear that this game has a campaign game, and also the abilty to play scenarios. I hope a 'quick-battle' feature is put into the game.

Thanks for your interest. In addition to the campaign scenarios which can be played as set battles, we've included two "skirmish" scenarios. One is an almost entirely infantry battle and the other is a "variety" battle with a little of everything in the first release, including some units that don't show up in the campaign (such as the Tiger). With the point buy system and the placement options, you can use the variety skirmish to get a pretty high degree of "quick battle" replayability on a unique map that's designed for a balanced fight.

With that said, I just played one of the campaign scenarios head to head via PBEM and it was a very different experience from playing it in the campaign due to the tactics my opponent chose (and the fact that I was playing the side that's normally played by the AI in the campaign). Very close run, very fun and I think replayability overall will be good.

quote:

One of the things that made CM so excellent was its re-playabilty, and the reason it was replayable, was the ability for the customer to build scenarios, operations and MAPS. I understand a map editor is not available, but we have the scenario/campaign option right? As long as we use pre-made maps?

That's right. Until the map editor is finished, you'll have to use the maps that came with the game. However, the data, scenarios and campaign structure are all editable and modifiable. Creating new scenarios does not take long and you can string them together in your own campaigns. Note that we also tried to make the maps representative without being too specific, so they should be pretty well reusable for battles in this general area and timeframe.

quote:

Also, if we can only use pre-made maps, can we expect some level of support, i.e. the developers releasing new maps/scenarios as time progresses.

Yes, we're planning on several expansions and a map editor. I'm also working on a couple of bonus scenarios using existing maps, for release after the game is available.

quote:

Also, how much customizeabilty is their with modding? Will the BMPs be moddable, and also will the unit data be moddable?

Yes and yes, pretty much everything is moddable. You can add your own units to the game, modify the existing ones, tweak armor, weaponry, etc.

quote:

I am eager for this game to succeed, and look forward to it, my only concern is the level of continuting support it will get thru the developers AND thru a community given the proper tools.

Thanks, our plans are for ongoing support, expansion and growth. Obviously, the community plays a strong role in those plans so it's great to see the expressions of interest.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Panzer Leader R.I.P.)
Post #: 103
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/22/2006 7:19:45 AM   
madorosh

Hey Panzer Leader - if you're still a GD fan, I think we should be able to use the force mix and maps in OWS to come up with some decent GD scens from the winter of 42-43 - maybe even the first winter in Russia...

Post #: 104
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/23/2006 5:29:39 AM   
Panzer Leader R.I.P.

Always, MD, always.  I had actually started planning a campaign for 41-42 in CMBB but my PC started to go on the fritz (over-heating issues)  The Tula battles would be a great place to start!  Winter 41-42 in the Moscow suburbs.  Actually, to stick with the spirit of the games release, Winter Battles with the 9th Army Nov/Dec 42 wouold be perfect.  I wonder though if the supplied maps would be suitable.  I have ALWAYS wanted to do a campaign based on  The Luchessa Valley Battles of Winter 42.  Of course, at the time I thought I was limited to operations but now...!

Luchessa valley has it all.  infantry, armour, artillery, both sides attacking and defending.  Small unit action.  Sturm-pioneers, reconaissance, hell even CAVALRY.

Yep, need to break out the Spaeter again.  Sadly I had to sell my copy of "God, Honor, Fatherland."

By the way, good to talk to you again, Ive pretty much been out of the scene since CMAK, lol.  No new wargames to whet my appetite until now.  I am starting to get that ol' feeling again.

Thanx Matrix!

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 105
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/29/2006 11:10:38 PM   
Richrd

Pay no attention to these misguided CM types. Stalingrad. Everybody wants Stalingrad. I must have three hundred photos of the architecture, which I will happily contribute. I'll even volunteer to help draw the maps.

Richrd

(in reply to Panzer Leader R.I.P.)
Post #: 106
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/29/2006 11:28:01 PM   
madorosh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richrd

Pay no attention to these misguided CM types. Stalingrad. Everybody wants Stalingrad. I must have three hundred photos of the architecture, which I will happily contribute. I'll even volunteer to help draw the maps.

Architectural photos of factory rubble? Sounds fascinating. ;)

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 107
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 6/30/2006 12:32:47 AM   
Richrd

No, no. I have photos from before the war. And lots and lots of photos of rubbled buildings. Distressingly few of the factories, however. Before the war people were discouraged from photgraphing the factories.

Richrd

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 108
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 7/1/2006 11:11:01 AM   
Mobius

quote:

However, we have been putting together a decent guide on how to ad 3D models, new units, mod textures, etc. for Panzer Command.
Doing and adding a complete new unit will need you to have a background in 3D, animating and 2D graphics.

We will go over this guide(s) in the next days and make it available after release.

Mark, I suppose you would need a separate and complete graphic for a tank where the tracks or the gun came off? And you would have to somehow signal the program to use this graphic whenever that damage happens?

Post #: 109
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 7/1/2006 4:10:13 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius

quote:

Mark, I suppose you would need a separate and complete graphic for a tank where the tracks or the gun came off? And you would have to somehow signal the program to use this graphic whenever that damage happens?

Not really, that is all part of the animation set. We will provide documentations on that early next week.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 110
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 1/18/2007 12:14:04 AM   
freeboy

I swear I saw a Tiger tank in the movie I downloaded earlier, no tigers arre listed ? that will be high on the list of add ons for me! ok, saqw a tiger listed at the designers sight, so I guess I will see when the download finally finishes!

< Message edited by freeboy -- 1/18/2007 12:28:20 AM >

Post #: 111
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 1/18/2007 5:23:42 AM   
Erik Rutins

Oh, it's in there. It just wasn't in the historical campaign so it's only included in separate scenarios. Check the "Variety Skirmish" set battle from the German side. Also, check the "Hell's Gate" campaign by Laryngoscope for a real Tiger fest.

Also, Laryngoscope created a full 3D Panther, model, texture and animations. That's available for download and shows what can be done by a dedicated third party modder.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 112
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 1/26/2007 4:51:05 PM   
freeboy

Erik, Tiger has some screamingdeals on barebones systems, anybody test these games on intel 6000 series Duo core chipsets? I no they are new but I do not want to plunk down good mony, even at great pricing and find out I am buggered? thanks

Post #: 113
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 1/26/2007 5:32:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

Panzer Command LOVES dual core processors.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 114
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 1/26/2007 9:39:37 PM   
freeboy

I really fudge alot of games, play this on a faster laptop but even pigs like Total war2 on an old p4 1.5, although it has alot of memory and a good vid ccard, I am really amazed at the prices, and no I don't work for Tiger.. anyway.. I am seriously getting over, and will let you know how much better this and some other games, IL2 etc run/feel once transition is made. I do not think my SSG products will see much change , as they are not graphically intense thanks Erik

Post #: 115
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 4/12/2007 9:31:19 PM   
freeboy

fyi, game does run great on my new rig... any news on updates?

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 116
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 7/1/2007 10:01:10 PM   
wdboyd

quote:

Now, we WANT to do a full set of editing tools that would allow players to make their own maps and so on, but we won't be doing that for the initial release. This is intended to be a series and we will be looking at the sales of the first title with great interest. If the sales meet our expectations, we will be happy to build full editing tools and a lot of other stuff as the series continues on other WWII campaigns.

- Erik

I adamantly disagree with this line of thinking. Game editing/modding tools should be included with any game from inception. Such inclusion brings buyers/player into the game world in a creative way. Player addition/mods add life and variety to any game when such tool are intergrated.

Prime example: Neverwinter Nights. It is over five years old and has had extensive modding tools intergal to it from the beginning. It is still going strong. Including its website which still has VERY active gaming and modding forums. Neverwinter Nights 2 has followed. Guess what? It has intergal modding tools too.

Result? MILLIONS of copies sold. Worldwide and still selling and growing.

Sucess can or should be learned by emulating sucessful people, companies or methods.

Get a player base involved in creation or enhancement through modding from the genisis of a game. This is wisdom from what I have observed.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils!"

Post #: 117
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 7/2/2007 1:45:32 AM   
Laryngoscope

quote:

Prime example: Neverwinter Nights. It is over five years old and has had extensive modding tools intergal to it from the beginning.

NWN development budget would easily be 50 times that of PCOWS.

The new PCK has pretty much all the development tools you could ever want at any rate (scenario, campaign, equipment and partial map editors, even some of the rules are editable). If you have the correct tools you can even build your own vehicles / guns, terrain meshes etc (I did the panther in about one month and had *ZERO* 3D modelling / texturing knowledge beforehand - you will need max, photoshop and a translator plugin but virtually *every* 3D game pretty much needs these anyway).

So PCK is now almost totally modable c/w PCOWS which was almost totally non-modable (or at least difficult to mod).

"It is not a Commonwealth division, it is an Australian Division. Why, give me two Australian Divisions and I will conquer the world for you!"

-- Erwin Rommel

(in reply to wdboyd)
Post #: 118
RE: Panzer Command FAQ - 7/2/2007 4:25:01 AM   
Erik Rutins

wdboyd,

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdboyd
I adamantly disagree with this line of thinking. Game editing/modding tools should be included with any game from inception. Such inclusion brings buyers/player into the game world in a creative way. Player addition/mods add life and variety to any game when such tool are intergrated.

Prime example: Neverwinter Nights. It is over five years old and has had extensive modding tools intergal to it from the beginning. It is still going strong. Including its website which still has VERY active gaming and modding forums. Neverwinter Nights 2 has followed. Guess what? It has intergal modding tools too.

Result? MILLIONS of copies sold. Worldwide and still selling and growing.

Sucess can or should be learned by emulating sucessful people, companies or methods.

Get a player base involved in creation or enhancement through modding from the genisis of a game. This is wisdom from what I have observed.

There's nothing wrong with what you've said, except that you've clearly never had to actually fund a game and keep the project within budget and schedule. There are massive differences between development for a AAA title like NWN and a niche wargame in terms of what is possible while still allowing the people working on it to someday earn a living.

In a perfect world, every game would come with a NWN-style editor built in. The fact that they don't should tell you something - it's not purely a matter of philosophy. Keep in mind how long the original NWN was in development...

With that said, as Laryngoscope noted, Panzer Command is quite moddable and the next release even more so. Among wargames of its kind, it's one of the most if not the most moddable.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wdboyd)
Post #: 119
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm >> RE: Panzer Command FAQ Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI