Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1959 NFL league project

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> 1959 NFL league project Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1959 NFL league project - 3/6/2006 7:04:06 PM   
nmleague

Ever have a knee jerk reaction? When the game first came out we all have these expectations and as we jump into the game not reading the manual and not really knowing what we are doing, we find somethings that dont seem to work, things we expected to find not there, and things we cant figure out. Im not a fan boy, but I have high hopes for this game. After spending more time with the game, finally figuring out alot of things with the PDS, and after playing some quick games, Im realizing that alot of my first reactions were knee jerk. After months of toiling to help make FPS 99 work, I can say that this game is so much better at this point and as David patches some of the little problems it will be fine within in its limitations. There are things that need to be upgraded, but I think David realizes that, if he stays with it this game will evolve into something great.

With that out of the way, I realized that at the moment this game should work very well with early era or college games. Its great to see a game that actually allows you to have a running game. I think the game data needs to be tweaked for player ratings, have done some of it already and seen good results. I dont think the game is ready for offenses with alot of motion and 3-4 WR formations. But after working with the PDS I think that an offensive style similar to NFL late 50's early 60's could work very well with the game. Im still struggling with the defense.

My plan is to develope a playbook for this period.
1. Limited to 3-4 formations, none 3-4 WR sets, no motion.
2. created about 12 plays for each formation, I havent read the manual yet on fliping formations, if it is possible, double the possible plays for each formation.
3. Set 3-4 audibles for each formation.
4. Basicly focus on 43 defense, and possibly a few other defenses of that period, as well as goalline.

Im not going to try to reproduce history so will not worry about accurate player rosters for that time period.

I have already created the uniforms for the 12 NFL teams of this era. So far I have about 8 plays done for the Pro split T type formation, and havent really tackled the defense yet.

If anyone is interested in helping with the playbooks your welcome. Just contact me so we could discuss which formations and defenses you would like to work on. Also I can send out the uniforms, although they should be up on a host site today. You can message me here or my email is "nmlcom@comcast.net"

< Message edited by nmleague -- 3/8/2006 9:04:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 1:06:15 AM   
nmleague

Update.

For the ProT formation I have 12 plays designed and tested, they consist of two different series of plays plus some drop back passes. I need to check the manual to see if we can choose a play and then flip the play/formation while the game is being played, or if I have to flip each in the PDS and save them that way. Look kind of cool to watch a Packers type sweep with the team wearing the Packers uniforms, just need to change the names to Starr, Taylor and Horning.

Tonight I will probably do a few 43 defenses and maybe start another formation.

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 2
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 4:24:21 AM   
nmleague

Update.

Well I designed and tested one defense, but it might need more work. I have to say the design of offensive plays using the PDS is much better than defenive plays. I wish there was a way to move the positon of DL in the formation. Also its hard to figure out what defenders are reactiing to, I have tried having the read and key but they dont seem to react well to plays. And its to get a CB set with zone coverage to give some type of run support on the outside.

If anyone is interested I can send out the playbook as is for testing.

< Message edited by nmleague -- 3/7/2006 4:25:19 AM >

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 3
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 4:03:06 PM   
Tullius

@ nmleague

A year ago i bought via e-bay a scouting report about the 59 Green Bay Packers (only a copy). It was written by Ewbank to prepare the Colts for their game. The report contains offensive and defensive formations and plays. If you are interested in send me a pm.

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 4
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 5:08:24 PM   
nmleague

Started to work on the mid field art work for the 1959 league, end zone art is already done. Im not sure if I will bother with the snow covered art. Im having some trouble keeping the transparent green from bleeding onto the logo. Here is the Packers art.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 5
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 5:55:56 PM   
ejs6263

nmleague:

Tremendous work.

I've spent the past few days since the game's release messing with it and reading the posts on these forums. A few people have voiced their disappointment but I think they're missing the bigger picture.

Sure, there are a few bugs but it's not as flagrant as some companies with signficantly more resources than David Winter has that market software to the end-user in beta form with the expectation that it will be improved by numerous patches.

I also agree 100% with your sentiment regarding Maximum Football's potential. Complemented by dedicated modders like yourself, MF has the potential to be the type of game true, thinking football fans have dreamed of.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a few CFL replications. I also like the idea of mods for the XFL and WFL.

< Message edited by ejs6263 -- 3/7/2006 5:56:30 PM >

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 6
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 10:15:43 PM   
nmleague

A few more NFL field art shots, by the way these arent realistic, just my take on something that might look good.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ejs6263)
Post #: 7
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 10:16:36 PM   
nmleague

another

Attachment (1)

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 8
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 10:18:56 PM   
nmleague

Thats enough, I think I have them all corrected and ready to use now. I found that the endzone template I was using doesnt have the same dimensions as the one used by the game, thus the wide end zone, I will probably fix it on these and the Big 10 teams end zones that are done.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 9
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 10:21:11 PM   
Deft

NMLeague, one quick suggestion for making lots of consistent plays is use the Create Template button in the PDS. I created several outs, skinny posts, crossing route, hitches and hitch and goes at different lengths that allows me to put together plays quickly that have some cohesion.

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 10
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 10:41:35 PM   
JonnieR

Any place we can download any of your fine artwork?

(in reply to Deft)
Post #: 11
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 11:31:42 PM   
nmleague

Uniforms are now up at FBmax.com

(in reply to JonnieR)
Post #: 12
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/7/2006 11:52:17 PM   
nmleague

Here is a nice SS, the Bears QB has just released the ball on a pass to the HB flaring out of the backfield. As you can see he has an open field and scored easily.

I now have about 13 Pro T plays done, they can also be flipped. So far only one defense, Im having a much harder time with defenses in the PDS. If anyone wants the playbook to evaluate the plays or to help work on some defenses, I will email it out. As of right now the offense pretty much moving up and down the field. A HB pass has been very successfull.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 13
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/9/2006 4:30:33 AM   
nmleague

Update. I thought I would have a playbook ready to go by today. Last night I did alot of playing around with PDS and finally figured out how to make a defensive formation. Tomorrow I should upload a 1959 NFL playbook to the FBmax.com site. By then it should have 2 basic offensive formations, one with about 18 plays the other with about 12. The defense will have about 4 base defensive alingments, all base on 43 defense, with about 3-4 defenive plays per base alingment. It will also have the base goaline defense that came with the game. I would appreciate feedback from anyone that wants to try it, or anyone is welcome to work on plays for a few more formations.

The midfield art is done for the 12 teams.

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 14
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/9/2006 6:39:11 AM   
NIUDawg

nmleague, you say hb pass, do you mean where the hb throws it or a swing pass?

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 15
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/9/2006 6:55:17 AM   
nmleague

One of the plays is HB sweep, to go along with this the same play has him passing the ball.

(in reply to NIUDawg)
Post #: 16
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/10/2006 2:37:34 AM   
nmleague

Update.

I have uploaded a 1959NFL playbook to the FBMAX site and it is now up there for download. This playbook contains:

1. Two offenive formations with a total of 30 plays.
2. 3 base defensive alingments, each with 2-3 plays.
3. A new punt formation and play.
4. A new kickoff return play.

There is no motion used.

Please try them and evaluate them, looking for comments to make them better.

Still to add are a short yardage offense and at least one more offensive formation with plays. Also 1-2 more defensive alingments as well as 2-3 more defensive plays for the current defenses (concentrating on pass defense).

A goal is to also have 1-4 audible set for each play.

Lets hear what you think.

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 17
RE: 1959 NFL league - 3/16/2006 1:07:23 AM   
nmleague

Update:

The NFL 1959 field art has been updated and uploaded to FBmax.com

Also I have uploaded a folder with helmets with logos added for the 6 teams without helmet logos, that added them between 59-63.

Just did some more work on the 1959 playbook.
1. Added two of the stock goaline defenses
2. Created a prevent nickle 43 defense with 4 plays
3. Added one more defensive play to two of the defensive formations.

The playbook needs some work but I like it so far. The 43PIN defense kills many offensive plays. But like rock, sissors, paper I have found that it cant stop some plays, and 2 of the audibles I have set up take advantage of that. But I still need to find a way to reduce the effectiveness of the two down DT.

Im not sure that anyone else has tried the playbook. Next Im going to add some offensive plays to the current formations, plus add a new formation and some plays.

I wont upload a new version until this is done.

< Message edited by nmleague -- 3/16/2006 1:09:31 AM >

(in reply to nmleague)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> 1959 NFL league project Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI