Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1.8?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: 1.8? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1.8? - 3/31/2006 5:42:09 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curty

VF16 here cant launch until 1.8 comes out..if you have to start the game over again...

They are actually discussing whether or not their morale is up to flying today.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Curty)
Post #: 31
RE: 1.8? - 3/31/2006 6:15:29 AM   
rroberson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curty

VF16 here cant launch until 1.8 comes out..if you have to start the game over again...

They are actually discussing whether or not their morale is up to flying today.

If they are 4E pilots...the answer is no.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 32
RE: 1.8? - 3/31/2006 3:20:21 PM   
RevRick

Sha na na na, Sha na na na na, Bump, Bump.
Yip yip yip yip yip yip, mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm - Up grade now.

I got Bowser on my browser...

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 33
RE: 1.8? - 3/31/2006 3:52:05 PM   
Curty

The Seafires aboard Victorious are getting pretty niffed at having to stand down as well.........."Either we lauch or the engines overheat whats it going to be!"

< Message edited by Curty -- 3/31/2006 3:56:23 PM >

(in reply to rroberson)
Post #: 34
RE: 1.8? - 3/31/2006 10:05:35 PM   
vonmoltke

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Will we be able to upgrade to the 1.8 from either 1.6 or the various Beta's without having to re-start our PBEM games? Too much time invested for players to not have this be possible.

My current PBEM opponent would probably prefer this, considering he just lost two carriers and half the Pacific Fleet's battleships in the course of three days.

This space reserved for future expansion

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 35
RE: 1.8? - 3/31/2006 11:24:27 PM   
pad152

Maybe the rummors are true

The new developers have given up trying to fix the WITP code, and started on WITP II!

(in reply to vonmoltke)
Post #: 36
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 2:15:47 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonmoltke

quote:

Will we be able to upgrade to the 1.8 from either 1.6 or the various Beta's without having to re-start our PBEM games? Too much time invested for players to not have this be possible.

My current PBEM opponent would probably prefer this, considering he just lost two carriers and half the Pacific Fleet's battleships in the course of three days.

As things stand now, games started under the two previous production releases ( 1.5 and 1.6 ) will be able to run under 1.8 ( "auto-upgrade" ).

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to vonmoltke)
Post #: 37
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 3:16:26 AM   
Black Mamba 1942

When?

< Message edited by Black Mamba 1942 -- 4/1/2006 3:17:10 AM >

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 38
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 3:19:20 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black Mamba 1942

When?

From what I've read they already sorted the disappearing unit bug. been a problem for two years and they join and solve it in what, two weeks!

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 4/1/2006 3:20:36 AM >

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Black Mamba 1942)
Post #: 39
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 3:26:57 AM   
Black Mamba 1942

Been waiting since December 05, since 1.795.
Already lost one opponent because he got tired of waiting.
20 months so far to sort this mess out, somewhat.

Players who say the vanishing leaders and units don't mess their games up are full of BS.

Others who say they've never had these problems are flat out liars.
Sorry if the truth hurts.

Post #: 40
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 3:29:11 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black Mamba 1942

Players who say the vanishing leaders and units don't mess their games up are full of BS.

I hear ya. I'm talking about in the last two weeks Joe and Don apparently sort something which was unsolveable for two years.

Post #: 41
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 3:30:55 AM   
Black Mamba 1942

Programing gurus!

Praise the all mighty!!!

Post #: 42
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 4:07:25 AM   
Nomad

Actually, I wonder how much of a tip of the hat goes to michelm? He is the one trying to collect and sort saves that can be used to find where the problem lies. Once you can figure out where the problem is being generated it is not that much work to fix it. Unfortunatly, from what I can read into things, there are multiple points where bugs have crept in.

Post #: 43
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 4:12:41 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Actually, I wonder how much of a tip of the hat goes to michelm? He is the one trying to collect and sort saves that can be used to find where the problem lies. Once you can figure out where the problem is being generated it is not that much work to fix it. Unfortunatly, from what I can read into things, there are multiple points where bugs have crept in.

Can't forget about MichaelM! Jeez, where are my manners! He has taken countless saves from me lately.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 44
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 5:58:28 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

Leaders? Leaders?! We don't need no stinkin' LEADERS! This man's army was built from the ground up around the steel-like core of the NCO Brotherhood!

Don't U worry 'bout no Leaders, Troop! You just stay concerned about my steel-toed combat boot meeting the crack of your...

Sorry - I think I had a flashback...

TTFN,

Mike

Post #: 45
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 6:03:14 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

From what I've read they already sorted the disappearing unit bug. been a problem for two years and they join and solve it in what, two weeks!

Ron - i never figured you for an optimist!!

Remember - i think they solved this problem (or announced that they solved it) in versions 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 and 1.7xx...

So, i think i'll wait a bit to see if it has been solved (no offense to Matrix, but i'll withold judgement for now...)

Post #: 46
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 6:07:05 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

quote:

Leaders? Leaders?! We don't need no stinkin' LEADERS! This man's army was built from the ground up around the steel-like core of the NCO Brotherhood!

Don't U worry 'bout no Leaders, Troop! You just stay concerned about my steel-toed combat boot meeting the crack of your...

Hey, it Fluffy the Psycho Dog (your avatar)!!

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 47
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 6:11:23 AM   
dtravel

Well, whether they have finally "solved" any of the major bugs or not they need to release it soon. The inmates are getting restless and need something to distract them. *tosses another log on the fire*

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 48
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 7:29:27 AM   
pad152

Being new guys, I sure they are not going to release anything until they think it's 100%. These problems have been with the game from day-one, you gotta wonder are they really bugs or logic/design issues.

quote:

If the game designers wanted historical results, they would have designed a game that rewards historical play.

No, they would have scripted the AI from a history book, then everyone would be complaining they used the wrong book

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 49
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 9:41:10 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Being new guys, I sure they are not going to release anything until they think it's 100%. These problems have been with the game from day-one, you gotta wonder are they really bugs or logic/design issues.

quote:

If the game designers wanted historical results, they would have designed a game that rewards historical play.

No, they would have scripted the AI from a history book, then everyone would be complaining they used the wrong book

We already know that many of the bugs are the result of design decisions. Disappearing leaders and units are the result of the way they did the "database".

They have gotten somewhat better recently, but much of the bad will is a direct result of the company's refusal to even acknowledge the existance of bugs during the first year or so after release. Sending a bug report with a save game got one of two results. A response saying there is no problem or dead silence.

As for my sig, well, this one is nicer to the designers than some I've had here.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 50
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 12:42:45 PM   
Black Mamba 1942

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

I would agree if I didn't have LTJG Ito in charge of the 24TH Divison with a land experience of 9.

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 51
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 5:59:05 PM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonmoltke

quote:

As things stand now, games started under the two previous production releases ( 1.5 and 1.6 ) will be able to run under 1.8 ( "auto-upgrade" ).

Hi Joe,

So if I'm running a game in patch 1.795 there is no upgrade feature?

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 52
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 7:15:16 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

Hi Joe,

Well, I omitted that discussion because the answer is not as simple as the previous answers. We intend to publish some more detailed notes that will more fully answer this question but a short version is that you can upgrade, this is just a 'exe' change .. no "data formats" are changing .. so you can continue existing games. However, some games that have been played under the beta versions of the code have introduced errors into the save game data that are not automatically correctable by the v1.8 patch. The games will play but specifically the leader zapping that occured in some of the 1.7.x beta versions will still reside in those games. Games played under v1.6 or earlier ( the last production patch ) or games started newly under v1.8 will not have these problems, but some games played under some of the 1.7.x beta versions will have these problems carry forward.

So re-stating in summary, you can upgrade 1.7.9.5 beta games and will be no worse off than you are now regarding zapped leaders, but the zapped leaders will not auto-magically come back.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 53
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 8:40:32 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Hi Joe,

Well, I omitted that discussion because the answer is not as simple as the previous answers. We intend to publish some more detailed notes that will more fully answer this question but a short version is that you can upgrade, this is just a 'exe' change .. no "data formats" are changing .. so you can continue existing games. However, some games that have been played under the beta versions of the code have introduced errors into the save game data that are not automatically correctable by the v1.8 patch. The games will play but specifically the leader zapping that occured in some of the 1.7.x beta versions will still reside in those games. Games played under v1.6 or earlier ( the last production patch ) or games started newly under v1.8 will not have these problems, but some games played under some of the 1.7.x beta versions will have these problems carry forward.

So re-stating in summary, you can upgrade 1.7.9.5 beta games and will be no worse off than you are now regarding zapped leaders, but the zapped leaders will not auto-magically come back.

So a upgrade from 1.795 -> 1.8... leaders will not continued to be zapped...but those that were zapped will not come back?

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 54
RE: 1.8? - 4/1/2006 9:20:57 PM   
Black Mamba 1942

If this is the answer, then I can live with it.
If I can replace them, and they stayed replaced, ok.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 55
RE: 1.8?One hell of a question - 4/1/2006 9:44:07 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Hell freezes !!

OT but this reminded me of something:

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid term. The answer was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, which is why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving.

I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Teresa Banyan during my Freshman year, "...that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you", and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having such relations with her, then, #2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.

The student received the only "A" given.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 56
RE: 1.8?One hell of a question - 4/1/2006 10:42:10 PM   
JWE

Dear Large and Slow,

You are a man dear to my heart. Way OT but I was MIT MS Physics 1976 thanks to the GI Bill. This is sweet! Good on you for the "A"! That kind of twist is just what the professorial pukes need to keep their heads screwed on straight.

Have you considered Bachause/Reiss' model of the expanding universe? Boyle might be valid in micro, but Hell might freeze or break loose at the whim of a Macro Cosmic All in the Subramanian macro model; this would accommodate someone's Catholic boinking of Uma Thurman in their dreams, as well as Uma's sweet sweet slice of Lucy Liu's neck.

If I go to Hell, whatever its physical manifestations, I wanna be there for Uma (or Lucy).

Luck and Ciao.

JWE

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 57
RE: 1.8? - 4/2/2006 12:50:05 AM   
Emilio

Hi Joe,

Nice picture of "El Cid" monument in Burgos. Actually he died in my city, Valencia. He's the most "international" of spanish hero's.

How many time do you think that it will take the internal testing? We are all anxious for 1.8 and to see the dissapearing units and leader bugs fixed.

Thanks,

Emilio.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 58
RE: 1.8? - 4/2/2006 1:30:21 AM   
jwilkerson

As has been stated in a previous post, we have completed the approved changes for v1.8 and have entered the "integration testing" phase of the development cycle. Thus "soon" would be a good guess, but it will be when the team believes all items have been tested and work correctly. We will post notes on the items that have been addressed when the patch is released.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Emilio)
Post #: 59
RE: 1.8? - 4/2/2006 1:35:02 AM   
Curty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emilio

Hi Joe,

Nice picture of "El Cid" monument in Burgos. Actually he died in my city, Valencia. He's the most "international" of spanish hero's.

How many time do you think that it will take the internal testing? We are all anxious for 1.8 and to see the dissapearing units and leader bugs fixed.

Thanks,

Emilio.

Welcome aboard Emilio

Great film EL CID..

As for 1.8 not too long now...hopefully

(in reply to Emilio)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: 1.8? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI