Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ABDA and Malaya Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> ABDA and Malaya Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ABDA and Malaya Units - 4/3/2006 8:05:21 AM   
Dirk Dahmann

Sorry, must be a stupid question and have been asked many times.
I am now in June 1942 in a campaign (Allies me, compy Japanese).
ABDA and Malaya HQ have died valiantly. What happens to their units. I can reassign them as should be (to Southwest Pac or similar), but they keep reassigning to ABDA eg.
Will their HQ be replaced eventually? Will they stop being obstinate? Do I have to shoot every tenth man (how do I do that?). At least the Dutch units will probably accept new planes in July...

Second question: I have problems with ship transporting Australian Command units. They won't board AKs or APs. I can reassign small ones, but the divisions are 'too expensive' politically.
As I said: sorry, must be in the rules somewhere...
T
Post #: 1
RE: ABDA and Malaya Units - 4/3/2006 8:15:51 AM   
dtravel

What do you mean exactly by "they keep reassigning to ABDA"? Is the computer changing them back to ABDA after you have spent the PP to assign them to another command? Is something else happening?

The ABDA HQ will not return.

As for your last question, all you can do is wait until you have enough political points to spend. They accumulate at a fixed rate and you can't speed it up.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to Dirk Dahmann)
Post #: 2
RE: ABDA and Malaya Units - 4/3/2006 8:26:00 AM   
Dirk Dahmann

quote:

Is the computer changing them back to ABDA after you have spent the PP to assign them to another command?

Right! Exactly this is happening. It does definitely with the ABDA units. I did not try lately with a Malaya unit. Maybe they have come to their senses in April (when the Brits start accepting new planes...)
T

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 3
RE: ABDA and Malaya Units - 4/3/2006 12:05:23 PM   
MarcA

Do you have computer control turned on for any of the areas of the map?

Post #: 4
RE: ABDA and Malaya Units - 4/3/2006 6:55:43 PM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tubilderborst

quote:

Is the computer changing them back to ABDA after you have spent the PP to assign them to another command?

Right! Exactly this is happening. It does definitely with the ABDA units. I did not try lately with a Malaya unit. Maybe they have come to their senses in April (when the Brits start accepting new planes...)
T

The Malaya units start assigned to Southeast Asia, so there isn't really any reason to change them. SEAC is not a restricted command.

As for ABDA, I don't know. As Mantill asks, do you have anything at all under computer control? North Pacific, China, Russia, anything at all? If the answer is "yes", . Don't ever put anything under computer control, doing so means you have put everything under computer control. Since there is no way to specify which units the computer is allowed to use it assumes it is allowed to use any and all of them.

Assuming "no", do they change back immediately, before you end the turn? During the immediately following turn resolution? Some number of turns later? You really need to give details and exact time lines. Walk us thru the problem, step by step, leaving nothing out.

Oh, and which patch version are you on? It should give you the version number in the top right corner of the Main Menu Screen. (Right under where it says "Main Menu Screen".)

< Message edited by dtravel -- 4/3/2006 6:58:41 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: ABDA and Malaya Units - 4/3/2006 9:12:32 PM   
Dirk Dahmann

Hi friends, back at the computer in aforeign country...

So here is what happens:
1st I just play West Coast, Morth Pacific, Central pacific, South Pacific, Southwest Pacific and Australia Command. So, yes, ABDA, Malaya, India, and China ARE under computer control. It just seemed too much work at the time I started the campaign game. Now and then I "cheat" a littel bit and send some additional supplies from Karatchi to Broome or repair a sub in Ceylon.
But now I am prepared to do the whole thing. It IS not so much work, as I expected, and the game simply feels greeeaaaat! Especially since I am "winning", the computer is really no match for historical hindsight.
OK, the problem: For ABDA units, of which I saved some planes and precious engineers (and now, whatever manpower can get rescued by sub), I have to change command to fly them to non-ABDA airfields. Some of them stay as assigned (but only very few). Most of them re-assign to ABDA after one turn. Currently they do not accept aircraft upgrade (sorry, only the Durch do not), but keep telling me to wait for 07-42, when they promise to do.
I am confident that they will, because the British Malaya units started to get active in 04-42 (active means, you could give them new planes). I do not know, whether the Malaya units also still reconvert (no access to the game from where I currently am).
I have downloaded the latest patch from your website.
The game runs REMARKABLY stable for such a large endeavour. However, I did lose one unit: A marine para batallion which I air-transported to the island east of Guadalcanal from Luganville. This went on for 3 turns or so without problems, but after a while.
Most of the small problems I have are due to my stupidity (sending a division to a hostile beach with a "do not unload" order is a fairly typical example).
Do you think, the re-conversion problem is due to the fact that parts of the map are under compy controll.
I mean, I'd really hate to do the Chinese...
T

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 6
RE: ABDA and Malaya Units - 4/3/2006 11:34:55 PM   
waynesworld

I had this same experience for the first few months into the first game I played until I discovered that it was the computer control setting for the entire zone that was causing the switch back. Once I switched that entire zone to AND the zone the unit was going to human control, that has not happened to me since. Units now assigned from ABDA or Malaysia HQ's to SEAC remain SEAC. I salaved almost the entire Dutch air force away from my last Dutch bases just before they fell to the Japs and got them setup in India by building an airbase on Amadan Island so they can make the jumps a few air units at a turn just before Palembang (sp?) fell. They sure are turning the tide against the Japs in the Rangoon area now they are up there. No Jap airbase in that region is operational thanks to the floods of bombers that I have leveling those airfields now.

Post #: 7
RE: ABDA and Malaya Units - 4/4/2006 4:22:43 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tubilderborst

Do you think, the re-conversion problem is due to the fact that parts of the map are under compy controll.
I mean, I'd really hate to do the Chinese...

Having some part of the map under "friendly" computer control is the source of so many other player problems that, yes, I do think it could be the cause.

Now, the good news is that since you are playing the Allies against computer controlled Japan that you don't really have to do anything in China. Those annoying Japanese recon planes will buzz everything and they may launch air raids, but that's it. No major land offensives or anything so you can almost certainly just let the Chinese forces sit in place untouched if you really want to.

Try putting everything under manual control and see if the ABDA units still switch back. If they don't, problem solved. If they do, then you probably need to send your saved game to someone at Matrix/2by3 for them to figure out what the bleep is going on.

Post #: 8
RE: ABDA and Malaya Units - 4/4/2006 10:17:00 AM   
Dirk Dahmann

Thanks everybody.
I am going to try the human controll solution in the Dutch East Indies. I have flown the Dutch and Philippine planes to Australia and am now pounding Timor. Kupang (Koepang?) is going to fall in a few days.
The reconverting ABDA units are not a "problem", just a little annoying. From what waynesworld wrote, I guess they'll stay loyal to their new colours now.
Thanks once again.
Help appreciated.
T

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 9
RE: ABDA and Malaya Units - 4/8/2006 10:32:23 AM   
Dirk Dahmann

This is just to inform everybody that the strategy worked. Converted ABDAs and Malaya-unit stay converted after assigning human control to the (formerly) Dutch East Indies and India.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> ABDA and Malaya Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI