Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ALWAYS avoid fighting these guys...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> After Action Report >> ALWAYS avoid fighting these guys... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ALWAYS avoid fighting these guys... - 4/4/2006 12:54:24 PM   
Wellesley

It was the Year of our Lord 1797, in the month of January, when the French Army of the Alps, Army of the Meuse, Army of Batavia and the Army of Reserve crashed into Brandenburg under the leadership of Napoléon Bonaparte. Supported by the Spanish Army, consisting of one big division, Napoléon had decided to bring the Prussians to their knees, after first dealing with the Austrian empire.

In the early hours of the morning, the battle was well underway north of Berlin - 137.000 French against 129.000 Prussian and Russian forces. Napoléon, in yet another feat of tactical mastery, decided to outflank the enemy's left. The Russian and Prussian left flank rested on a lake to the left, and a forest to the right, and consisted of only one infantry division, the Russian 5th Cossack Infantry Division, without a general.

Two days later, the French armies were in full retreat to Saxony, pursued by what remained of the Russian and Prussian cavalry. Losses were chilling; the French had lost no fewer than 18.000 men dead.

What had happened!?

Welp, that Russian 5th Cossack Infantry division held off attack after attack after attack after attack.

In two days time, Napoléon hurled 5 infantry divisions, 2 cavalry divisions and one artillery division at the Russian unit, which wasn't on higher ground, wasn't hiding in a forest, wasn't behind a stone wall, no - it was on flat grasslands. Yet everytime a cavalry division wanted to charge, the Russians sprang into emergency square, and everytime Napoléon wanted to make use of that square by attacking with 3 infantry divisions from 3 directions after a fusillade by a fourth and a bombardment by cannons, the Russians suffered merely 150 losses but inflicted far greater losses on the Frech units, time after time after time.

On the second day those units became shaken, then disordered, then also fatigued, and in the end, a Guard division was even routed. Napoléon's right flank collapsed, his own division was completely disordered and could not be rallied

A day later he sat in his tent, sulking, and said to his trusted general Lannes: "I swear, it's a bug. It must've been! We're on a beta patch - it MUST have been a bug! A bug!! HAHHAARRHHAHAAARRR a BUUUUUG MERDE A BUUUUUUUUG...!"
Post #: 1
RE: ALWAYS avoid fighting these guys... - 4/5/2006 7:07:19 PM   
mogami

Hi, what difficulty level are you using?

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Wellesley)
Post #: 2
RE: ALWAYS avoid fighting these guys... - 4/5/2006 8:06:25 PM   
Wellesley

I'm trying to get a grip of the game, so France is +1 stronger and difficulty setting is 'Easier'.

Ho-hum...

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 3
RE: ALWAYS avoid fighting these guys... - 5/3/2006 4:51:59 AM   
Southern Hunter

It seems to me that there is a bug / problem that Infantry columns attacking a square get repulsed quite easily. There should be a special bonus applicable to them.

(in reply to Wellesley)
Post #: 4
RE: ALWAYS avoid fighting these guys... - 5/3/2006 9:36:23 AM   
Grand_Armee

It has also seemed to me that divisions completely encircled will do something nasty like never rout because there is no place to go. So, I gave up the complete encirclement tactic, and give them room to flee. It works much better.

(in reply to Southern Hunter)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> After Action Report >> ALWAYS avoid fighting these guys... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI