Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 661 4E`s shot down

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: 661 4E`s shot down Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 661 4E`s shot down - 4/19/2006 4:39:01 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oznoyng
Events in WW2 dictated the options available and choices made by the Japanese in WW2. If I change those events, then the options available to me need to change too. The OOB is unduly restrictive in that successes by the Japanese player are not accounted for in the OOB. Reinforcements come at the same rate regardless of losses or gains compared to history.

This is where you depart from understanding and move into the Land of I Wanna. Both sides had production tracks that were difficult, if not impossible, to change in view of short-term results in the field. Why else would the various aircraft, ships, and weapons that were shown from combat experience to be obsolete or otherwise unserviceable continue to have been produced as was done historically?

This, however, begs the real question. Your supposed role in WitP is as a military commander, not as the overseer of the nation's economic and other global policies. As such, you should not have control over these decisions. When that was built into the game, it departed sadly from its original design intent (at least to the extent one can discern intent in this haphazard slough).

quote:

Sorry, but if you want to talk about who is acting the child, I'm of the opinion that you are acting like one.

I see no reason for you to attack Ron personally in this way.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Oznoyng)
Post #: 91
RE: 661 4E`s shot down - 4/19/2006 4:57:20 AM   
mogami

Hi, I think it would make more sense for LCU not already in "production" at start to be a result of player inputs. Same for ships and airgroups. (Not just Japanese) But it was a lot easier to just script in the historic units at the historic arrival times.
Since you can see the schedule from turn 2 on it allows the player to plan well in advance. what he can't do is create a new unit of a particular type just for use in a planned operation. Instead he has to find an existing unit and redeploy it or wait for a new unit to arrive. (He has to plan his use to match the availabilty rather then just build a new unit)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 92
RE: 661 4E`s shot down - 4/19/2006 5:21:23 AM   
pasternakski

I think that the big problem is that you should not be able to change things immediately or on whim based on what has happened on a particular day or during a particular week. If production is to change or technological research is to be altered, it has to be on the basis of a conscious, steeped-in-reason-and-discussion, bureaucratically hindered process, not an ad hoc desire by a theater commander to see such-and-such a change.

I have argued for a long time that the role of the player in this game needs to be defined with some specificity, and that the player's role needs to be preserved in the game's mechanics. This, in my opinion, merely reinforces the correctness of my position. Of course, my position tends to change three or four times a night (ask my girlfriend or my mattress, whichever one I happen to be "sleeping" on at the moment...).

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 93
RE: 661 4E`s shot down - 4/19/2006 5:23:11 AM   
treespider

quote:

Of course, my position tends to change three or four times a night (ask my girlfriend or my mattress, whichever one I happen to be "sleeping" on at the moment...).

So you are a Democrat like me?

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

Post #: 94
RE: 661 4E`s shot down - 4/19/2006 5:34:11 AM   
rroberson

I like the thought of being a kid at 43.

(in reply to Oznoyng)
Post #: 95
RE: 661 4E`s shot down - 4/19/2006 5:39:04 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oznoyng
Events in WW2 dictated the options available and choices made by the Japanese in WW2. If I change those events, then the options available to me need to change too. The OOB is unduly restrictive in that successes by the Japanese player are not accounted for in the OOB. Reinforcements come at the same rate regardless of losses or gains compared to history.

This is where you depart from understanding and move into the Land of I Wanna. Both sides had production tracks that were difficult, if not impossible, to change in view of short-term results in the field. Why else would the various aircraft, ships, and weapons that were shown from combat experience to be obsolete or otherwise unserviceable continue to have been produced as was done historically?

This, however, begs the real question. Your supposed role in WitP is as a military commander, not as the overseer of the nation's economic and other global policies. As such, you should not have control over these decisions. When that was built into the game, it departed sadly from its original design intent (at least to the extent one can discern intent in this haphazard slough).

quote:

Sorry, but if you want to talk about who is acting the child, I'm of the opinion that you are acting like one.

I see no reason for you to attack Ron personally in this way.

I thought he was being a big meanie too. My Lucky Charms vs Muslix analogy for releatively low priority features vs major design problems did not go over too well I see. Why do I think if I tried comedy I'd end up as one of those bummed out hopeless drunk clowns and not a happy stand up?

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

Post #: 96
RE: 661 4E`s shot down - 4/19/2006 6:18:35 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
Why do I think if I tried comedy I'd end up as one of those bummed out hopeless drunk clowns and not a happy stand up?

Hey - some of us bummed out hopeless drunk clowns who have tried stand-up comedy object to that kind of talk...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 97
RE: 661 4E`s shot down - 4/19/2006 6:21:05 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

That's like the taste of 80-year-old pu$$y - depends...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 98
RE: 661 4E`s shot down - 4/19/2006 8:48:16 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

That's like the taste of 80-year-old pu$$y - depends...

Bit over the line with this one, Pasternakski.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Post #: 99
RE: 661 4E`s shot down - 4/19/2006 9:34:31 AM   
rroberson

Past...over the line...no way...he's the adult here. Ask him.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: 661 4E`s shot down Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI