Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

God I hate this company

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> God I hate this company Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
God I hate this company - 4/17/2006 10:46:31 PM   
Burthold

Let me qualify this. I bought FPG a year ago and was very excited to see a company produce, by title and description, valid war games only to be let down by insanely idiotic victory conditions.

I remember the first time I played FPG and COMPLETELY destroyed NATO and lost because I did not occupy obscure victory hexes 5Kms away BEFORE I destroyed the enemy. They were not even there, the enemy, the entire game!!!

I never deleted the game because destroying the enemy and working the units proved to be fun for a few weeks but out working the enemy, either side, while loosing has an effect on my enthusiasm.

So, today hear there is a 1.10 update and download it. Works great till I try to install it. It asks me for a code that came with a download over a year ago! FOR AN UPDATE ON A GAME I HAD ALREADY PURCHASED AND PASSED THE INITIAL SECURITY CHECK!!!

I read the forums and tried the methods they suggested for code recovery but the credit card I used has been paid off and destroyed.

You guys are ½ rated at best.

Oh, I also purchased World at War. Call me an idiot for that one. That game is the worst pile of **** I have ever seen in my life, and I paid for it too.

Talon Soft is selling their rights to games they have developed to you?

End of an age my friends and I am terrified with what they have done to Steel Panthers.

Someone resurrect SSI please.
Post #: 1
RE: God I hate this company - 4/18/2006 1:07:45 AM   
CapnDarwin

Burthold,

I'll try to address a couple of issues here.

1. Victory conditions. Yes, we know they are not the best way of doing things but FPG was built from the ground up to match the original SimCan game. Many of the games strengths and weakness stem from that. We are looking at a whole new method for the next game which will follow more traditional VP methods (and a twist or two). The scenarios in 1.10 were revamped to try to help the victory conditions as best as possible under the constraints of the current code. Hopefully we can get past the second problem of the install and you can see if the game plays any better.

2. Serial Number validation vs Starforce/CD/DVD security. Matrix and a few other companies have gone the route of allow you to load the game and play without the CD or those semi-invasive disk checkers (Starforce, etc). It does require you to provide the code when updating. Best thing to do is to have a text file in the folder with your games with the serial number so you can do a fast cut and paste when required. I personally like this method better. Opinions vary I'm sure.

3. World at War. I looked at it but it was not my cup of tea. You may be able to post in the General Forum and try to sell your copy.

4. Your lost serial number. If you PM me I can describe a method to recover it off your computer so you can copy it a safe place (a text file) for use when needed.

I'm sorry you feel let down by Matrix games in general. There are a number of fine developers, games, and players here. I hope you find something to your liking.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Burthold)
Post #: 2
RE: God I hate this company - 4/18/2006 1:11:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

Burthold,

I'm sorry to hear that you are so disappointed. Needless to say, if this were everyone's opinion we wouldn't be in business. A lot of folks enjoy both FPG and WAW, but we realize tastes and experiences vary.

We always advise that you keep your serial number for all games you purchase. Retail games have the same kind of thing and losing it often means you simply can't install the game again. In our case, we at least have the www.findmyorder.com page where you can try to retrieve it yourself and our customer support can have Digital River look up your order personally if that doesn't work. Contact us at support@matrixgames.com and please (leaving out the extra commentary) tell our support people that you can't retrieve your serial number from www.findmyorder.com and ask if they can have Digital River look it up for you. They'll likely need your name, phone number, e-mail address and address to give them the best chance.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/18/2006 1:13:03 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: God I hate this company - 4/19/2006 1:01:28 AM   
Burthold

I dug in our bill file and found the info that I needed for the security # to activate the update (1.10).

The game still has some major issues for USSR that have to be addressed.

1. Even with a small area of the front being represented per scenario the USSR’s artillery is non-consequential. While this is one of their tactics, lots of arty, it has been capped in two ways. First, there is not enough, 122mm LMAO on an opening assault, and the “spotting” and instamatic reply with Nato.
2. What ever you guys did to unit spotting range for sensors is COMPLETELY out of wack. I have driven over scout units only to have them attack 1 turn and 1 hex later. That’s crap when an entire Guard Division is driving over them in “assault” mode.
3. USSR vehicles have been hacked to the point where mass numbers make little or no difference with a battle. I have had 20 T80’s stopped by 6 Challenger 1’s, granted they had instamatic arty, but where in no better position than I.
4. The game has been hacked to the point where mass numbers, USSR, have no consequence due to game tweeking and fan base.
5. Have any of you even trained for or dealt with the prospect of a Guards unit attacking?
6. The AI has gotten better in light and with the above.

The game was better, save insane victory conditions, before the patch. Hell, I'll just play Nato.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: God I hate this company - 4/22/2006 5:22:54 PM   
Rob322

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burthold
3. USSR vehicles have been hacked to the point where mass numbers make little or no difference with a battle. I have had 20 T80’s stopped by 6 Challenger 1’s, granted they had instamatic arty, but where in no better position than I.

Don't blame the game because maybe you didn't send enough on the attack. Remember the odds in your attack were slightly more than 3-1 which is the bare minimum for most attacks when the opponents are otherwise equal (tech, unit quality, etc). Still, your statement doesn't say too much about your defeat. Weather? Terrain? Were the Challenger's dug in? How fast were the T-80s being driven? Your T-80s were on the move which always degrades their ability to fire. I assume the Challenger's were dug in with good fields of fire and just watching you roll a few tanks in front of them. Of course they slaughtered you. Send more next time, send the whole damned battalion of 30 (or two) and you should have a better chance to prevail. Or use better tactics and don't roll everything you have directly in front of their snouts and dare them to massacre you. Maneuever, take the flanks and force the NATO side from his positions, senseless head on attacks against modern forces deserves to be slapped down.

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 4/22/2006 5:44:37 PM >

(in reply to Burthold)
Post #: 5
RE: God I hate this company - 4/22/2006 5:27:05 PM   
Rob322

quote:

2. What ever you guys did to unit spotting range for sensors is COMPLETELY out of wack. I have driven over scout units only to have them attack 1 turn and 1 hex later. That’s crap when an entire Guard Division is driving over them in “assault” mode.

What's unrealistic about this? Think about it. Each square is 500 meters across. Your LOS with just an eyeball can often be well less than that, particularly in urban settings. A scout unit is often 2-4 vehicles which are crewed by people trained to screen and hide. You certainly didn't have an entire Guards division in one square anyhow, you simply drove past them which happens regularly anyhow. Buttoned up tanks on assault mode and not the best spotters anyhow, particularly when facing opponents skilled at hiding from you. In the history of the first Gulf War there was a case of an M1 that was disabled by enemy fire because in the confusion of overrunning a position at night they drove past a T-72 that was screened by a burning tank. They got shot in the treads and another tank got disabled as well before the T-72 was dispatched. War, even with modern sensors is confusing and messy and you just have to deal with it.

< Message edited by Rob322 -- 4/22/2006 5:40:45 PM >

(in reply to Burthold)
Post #: 6
RE: God I hate this company - 4/22/2006 5:28:23 PM   
Rob322

Anyhow, such hostility is unnecessary. Quibbles with a game is not really a rational basis for "hating" an entire company is it? Still, if that's how you feel there are other games out there ...

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 7
RE: God I hate this company - 4/22/2006 8:37:52 PM   
AlvinS

quote:

What ever you guys did to unit spotting range for sensors is COMPLETELY out of wack. I have driven over scout units only to have them attack 1 turn and 1 hex later. That’s crap when an entire Guard Division is driving over them in “assault” mode.

This is one of the features I like about the new update. As was mentioned above, the size of the hex makes it easy to hide and harder to spot.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 8
RE: God I hate this company - 4/22/2006 11:46:16 PM   
wodin

Some people hey?

Matrix isnt a bad company in my opinion. Yes they may have produced some games that haven't gone down well. Which producer hasnt? However the operative word here is "PRODUCER". They arent the developers of the two games you've mentioned.

Panther games is in my opinion Matrix flagship company. Hopefully 2by3 games bring out a hit maybe with the new Steel Panthers.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/23/2006 5:29:13 AM >

(in reply to AlvinS)
Post #: 9
RE: God I hate this company - 4/23/2006 12:54:17 AM   
toonces

matrixgames is rapidly becoming my favorite company.

sorry you didn't like the game.

(in reply to Burthold)
Post #: 10
RE: God I hate this company - 4/24/2006 6:38:55 PM   
Forwarn45

quote:

matrixgames is rapidly becoming my favorite company.

sorry you didn't like the game.

Ditto. WAW is one of my favorite games for a long, long time. To each, his own.

(in reply to toonces)
Post #: 11
RE: God I hate this company - 4/26/2006 7:25:35 PM   
Viper6

quote:

5. Have any of you even trained for or dealt with the prospect of a Guards unit attacking?

Have you?

I've certainly won playing as WP pact many times, you just can't expect to be able to charge headlong at NATO forces "charge of the light brigade" style and win; it would be like target practice for the NATO tanks and WP MBTs do not have very good systems for firing on the move. Flank them, envelope them, if you surround NATO forces at close range they won't stand a chance.

Alex Clark - Viper
Flashpoint Germany Beta Test Team
Flashpoint Middle East Beta Test Team

Supervising Lighting and Sound Technician,
University of Minnesota, Morris

(in reply to Burthold)
Post #: 12
RE: God I hate this company - 4/26/2006 8:55:32 PM   
Soft Heap

quote:

Oh, I also purchased World at War. Call me an idiot for that one. That game is the worst pile of **** I have ever seen in my life, and I paid for it too.

I know what you mean.

(in reply to Burthold)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> God I hate this company Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI