Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Limit to digital download?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Limit to digital download? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Limit to digital download? - 5/5/2006 6:29:55 AM   
Llyranor

Hi,

I'm looking forward to Conquest of the Aegean, and am planning to get the digital version.

1) I was browsing through the store faq, and they mention a 2-yr timeframe. Is the license only limited for that period of time? If I want to, say, replay the game 3 yrs down the line, I would be unable to redownload it?

2) If the 2-yr license above is indeed true (as opposed to just a timeframe in which the file is kept uploaded, but you'd still be allowed to request it to be reuploaded past that), would I still be able to install the game in 3 yrs by keeping a copy of the installation file?

3) Also, does this 'Extended Download Service' come at an extra price?

4) There seems to be the ability to download the file multiple times as well. Is there a hard set limit to this?

Thank you in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Limit to digital download? - 5/5/2006 4:55:22 PM   
Arkady

I believe that you can re-download installation file within 2-yr timeframe

If you download it you can burn it to CD or store it somewhere and as long as your registration key is valid you can reinstall it

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 2
RE: Limit to digital download? - 5/6/2006 3:47:19 AM   
Llyranor

In the member area, it says:

"in order to access the Private Downloads, you will need to register your game & serial number. This also stores your serial number for you, allowing you to retrieve it via email at any time."

If I get this right, then if I purchase a game and register it, I would still be able to retrieve the serial number at any time in order to reinstall it later on, correct?

Would this only apply for 2 yrs, though? I'm wondering what the 2 yrs timeframe stands for exactly: would the license itself expire, thus disabling me from playing the game further; or would I not be able to reinstall the game from then on; or does it simply mean that the download file will not be stored for me anymore, but that I could request it again anytime via my serial number?

Thanks.

< Message edited by Llyranor -- 5/6/2006 4:21:20 AM >

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 3
RE: Limit to digital download? - 5/8/2006 12:37:07 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: Llyranor

In the member area, it says:

"in order to access the Private Downloads, you will need to register your game & serial number. This also stores your serial number for you, allowing you to retrieve it via email at any time."

If I get this right, then if I purchase a game and register it, I would still be able to retrieve the serial number at any time in order to reinstall it later on, correct?

Would this only apply for 2 yrs, though? I'm wondering what the 2 yrs timeframe stands for exactly: would the license itself expire, thus disabling me from playing the game further; or would I not be able to reinstall the game from then on; or does it simply mean that the download file will not be stored for me anymore, but that I could request it again anytime via my serial number?

Thanks.

Yes, you can retrieve it at any time, although we recommend you print out the invoice with the serial number.

Your purchase and license are not limited timwise, it is of course a lifetime license. The "2 years" only is the extended download option, this is something Digital River (the guys that run the servers) offers. You don`t need this.

By our license agreement you're granted the right to burn one personal backup copy to either CD or DVD or the backup medium of your choice. you can allways buy the physical product too or the download+physical combo.

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 4
RE: Limit to digital download? - 5/9/2006 7:49:15 AM   
Llyranor

Ah, ok. So if I keep a copy of the installation file with me at all times, I'll be able to keep playing. Thanks for the clarification.

Just one final question: what kind of contingency measures would there be if, say, I lose my copy somewhere down the line (broken CD, reformat HD, etc)? (unless you meant that the lifetime license itself allows me permanent access to Private Downloads, which is where I'd be able to redownload the game indefinitely)

Much appreciated! I just want to make sure I don't end up screwing myself over somewhere down the line.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 5
RE: Limit to digital download? - 5/10/2006 3:11:09 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Llyranor
Ah, ok. So if I keep a copy of the installation file with me at all times, I'll be able to keep playing. Thanks for the clarification.

What you download is a standard Windows installation file (an exe-file). Just copy & paste the serial number you get on purchase to a small text file and burn both the exe and the txt file on a cd. Install the game from the cd to make sure the cd is ok. Store the cd somewhere safe, you don't need it for playing the game.

If you get a HD disaster, a new computer, a new OS or anything else you can think of : just re-install the game from the cd. Now if you're *really* unlucky and that cd gets lost or unreadable you just post in here and I'm sure the Matrix Games folk will find a solution. I've seen posts like that before and they're always resolved to everyones satisfaction.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 6
RE: Limit to digital download? - 5/25/2006 9:54:07 AM   
Llyranor

Alright, thanks.

I'll keep a backup DVD. I just hope losing it or something never becomes an issue. Knock on wood, I guess.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 7
RE: Limit to digital download? - 6/15/2006 9:03:34 PM   
jvgfanatic

I moved overseas and had to get rid of all application CDs that were not originals. I've emailed matrix and had no response (support@...). I didn't think I'd be so hard up for the games over here but alas, I really want to play them again and definitely don't want to repurchase them to do so.

*Paitiently waits for matrix's emailed reply*

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 8
RE: Limit to digital download? - 6/16/2006 7:31:08 PM   
jvgfanatic

*starts to get slightly impatient*

even a form letter letting me know that my support email was received would be nice. Oh well.

(in reply to jvgfanatic)
Post #: 9
RE: Limit to digital download? - 6/16/2006 7:53:03 PM   
Erik Rutins

jvgfanatic,

Did you try going to www.findmyorder.com? Do you still have your order info? You should get a reply within 24 hours of any support request, but we've found that not all sent e-mails actually arrive these days due to the nature of the spam and spam filters on the internet. I'll check and see whether we received one on this topic.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jvgfanatic)
Post #: 10
RE: Limit to digital download? - 6/16/2006 8:16:26 PM   
jvgfanatic

Thanks Eric. I have to search through me emails to find the order info, I will try to do that. It's been a while since I purchased all those games. I destroyed my backup CDS thanks to our trip overseas meant going to several countries with heavy customs searches and didn't want "backups" to come into question. Nor do I have a laptop onto which I could have loaded those games.

I will try to get all my order info to you however and if I can't I'll send another email with whatever details I can find.

Thank you VERY much for the reply here :)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Limit to digital download? - 6/16/2006 8:36:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

jvgfanatic,

If you go to www.findmyorder.com and still have the credit card you used, you can also retrieve the games there. If you threw out the installers and also lost all the order info, there's really only one thing to do at that point. We would have to go through a manual look-up process with DR based on your personal info. That can take a few days to get results back. It's always a good idea to at least keep your order info - the store records are not necessarily a perfect security net and are only guaranteed for 30 days after purchase (though there is normally no real limit).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jvgfanatic)
Post #: 12
RE: Limit to digital download? - 6/16/2006 9:03:34 PM   
jvgfanatic

I'm in the process of downloading some of the games. It appears at least a few have outlived the 30 day period. Only started one of them and won't finish the couple others that I want until tomorrow but wish me luck that all goes well.

Again, thank you. My matrix experience goes above and beyond the bad experiences I have had elsewhere (Paradox, anyone?)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Limit to digital download? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI