Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Treat For You Pirate Fans

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> A Treat For You Pirate Fans Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Treat For You Pirate Fans - 5/12/2006 1:24:36 AM   
dwwindsor

Started an Association using real players in 1901. In 1903 a fairly strong Pirates team (strong enough to set the current Major League record for wins in a season - 107) won their first pennant but lost to their cross state rivals, the Athletics, four games to one.

After that they went into a tailspin with the low point coming during the 1907-1909 seasons when the had a record of 193-293. Even after that low point they remained at best a second division club.

But with the coming of 1916 they climbed back to the NL pennant (98-64) and prepared to face the St. Louis Browns (!!! so much for history) in the Fall Classic.

Shades of 1903:

GM1 @ St. L. Bucs- 3 Browns-4
GM2 @ St L Bucs-3 Browns-6
GM3 @ Pitt Browns-6 Bucs-0

Not looking to good for the Pirates faithful.

GM4 @ Pitt Browns-1 Bucs-11
GM5 @ Pitt Browns-3 Bucs-11

At least the home town fans got to see a couple of victories before losing the series at Sportsmans Park. I mean, no one ever, ever comes back from 3 games down.

GM6 @ St L Bucs-3 Browns-1

Headline in the St Louis Post-Dispatch "Have No Fear, Browns Won't Drop 2 At Home"
Safe bet, right?

GM7 @ St L Bucs 2 Browns 1

Stunned silence along the banks of the Mississippi while mad rejoicing breaks out where the Allegheny joins the Monongehela to form the Ohio.

Is this a great game or what. Oh, and the Pirates have this young kid from Baltimore stewing in their bullpen, guy by the name of George Herman Ruth!
Post #: 1
RE: A Treat For You Pirate Fans - 5/12/2006 1:41:53 AM   
KG Erwin

Fantastic, man. Didn't know there were so many closet Pirate fans here LOL. Now, with new ownership in Pittsburgh, I may have to dust off my old copy of "We Are Family".

(in reply to dwwindsor)
Post #: 2
RE: A Treat For You Pirate Fans - 5/12/2006 1:56:17 AM   
dwwindsor

In truth I am a near life long Mets fan. But my best friend in middle school was a transplant to New Jersey from Mckeesport so I became a minor expert on the Pirates. However, Pittsburgh has contibuted so many great players and exciting moments (Harvey Haddix perfect for 12) to MLB that I would love to see them back in contention.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: A Treat For You Pirate Fans - 5/12/2006 2:44:27 AM   
Amaroq

They're a great franchise for a career sim like this, because the limited finances make them a challenge, but their real life history and tradition make them compelling!

Way to go on the brilliant comeback, btw!

(in reply to dwwindsor)
Post #: 4
RE: A Treat For You Pirate Fans - 5/12/2006 3:15:25 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

They're a great franchise for a career sim like this, because the limited finances make them a challenge, but their real life history and tradition make them compelling!

Way to go on the brilliant comeback, btw!

Exactly. Plus, the Bucs are my regional team. Never liked the Reds. One more thing -- an attempt towards establishing a players' union and breaking the reserve clause in 1946 was first targeted towards the Pirates. The one good thing that came out of this failed experiment was the beginning of the players' pension fund. The first brick in the wall was removed.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 5
RE: A Treat For You Pirate Fans - 5/12/2006 5:46:47 AM   
redeck

As a kid growing up in the shadow of Detroit i naturally became.....

an Oakland A's fan. my entire childhood until i lost interest during the 95 strike, it was all Oakland A's in my eyes.

A friend at work started a roto league and got me back interested in baseball around 2000. this is when I realized i had also been a life long Tigers fan.

the moral of my story is, even if your an A's fan or a Tigers fan, you still gotta love Pittsburgh in the National league. Give me the small market team everytime I guess.

Heres to not caring if the Cubs win, or being bored with the Braves, or just feeling plain sorry for the Mets most years. I used to like the Cardinals until they dropped the Brewers in 82, and i was just sure Harveys wall bangers were gonna win it all, even if I was only 11 years old. Pittsburgh is my fav National League team, them and ....hey do they even ball in Montreal anymore?

thanks,
Dave

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: A Treat For You Pirate Fans - 5/12/2006 9:43:06 AM   
JudgeDredd

Why do Americans always put the home team second when showing scores?? That always throws me when I'm looking at Baseball or American Football. Sometimes I think you do it just to be different!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 7
RE: A Treat For You Pirate Fans - 5/12/2006 3:05:30 PM   
redeck

In baseball the home team is listed beneath the visiting team because the home team gets last at bats in the game (if needed)
so your game line would look like this
123 456 789 R H E
Visitors 001 020 000 3 6 1
Home 202 100 02x 7 12 0

in this way you can tell what inning runs were scored, how many total Hits (safe hits) each team made, and how many if any errors (field errors, dropped balls judged to be catchable or poor throws)

i suppose that you could flip the line and have the home team on top, but after a century of box scores it would confuse people

as for football, well it knows that baseball is the beter game, so it tries to copy it.

thanks,
Dave

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: A Treat For You Pirate Fans - 5/12/2006 7:15:05 PM   
Amaroq

The colloquial phrasing is "New York at Minnesota", for example, so even linguistically we express the home team second.

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> A Treat For You Pirate Fans Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI