Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Serenity, The Movie...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Serenity, The Movie... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Serenity, The Movie... - 5/12/2006 9:07:06 AM   
Brady

I just love this move, and series, anyone know if they plan on making another Movie?

< Message edited by Brady -- 5/12/2006 9:24:05 AM >

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
Post #: 1
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 5/12/2006 12:33:41 PM   
Raverdave

Yeah me too....I first found the series through a friend, and bought it the DVD set, then I bought the movie.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 2
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 5/12/2006 3:33:17 PM   
rhondabrwn

I would dearly LOVE to see another movie or a rebirth of the Firefly series. I just fell in love with the characters and ahve the entire series plus the Serenity Movie.

Here's hoping... I know that people are trying to market the idea. I've signed several petitions (not that they will do any good, but I did my 2 cents worth).

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 3
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 5/12/2006 4:14:53 PM   
JamesM

Firefly and Crusade (Babylon 5 spin off) are the two series that should have never been cancelled. They should of have had at least a 5 year span.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 4
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 5/13/2006 6:57:27 AM   
Brady

I have watched the series(rented it) and have watched Serenity the move at least 10 times, and Intend to buy both, I realy dont understand why they did not last on TV, such a great show. Perhaps Sci Fi will revive it...???

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 5
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 5/13/2006 7:05:18 AM   
trojan58

Probably the best Sci Fi movie of the last 10 years totally screwed by bad (or worse) advertising

There are two types of ships in the world

Submarines and Targets

D.B.F

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 6
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 5/14/2006 8:35:50 PM   
Kuokkanen

Dunno why some very good series are shot down on first season. CI5 - The New Professionals is at least as good as The (old) Professionals but it had less than 20 episodes and now Firefly...

(in reply to trojan58)
Post #: 7
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 5/15/2006 5:27:11 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: trojan

Probably the best Sci Fi movie of the last 10 years totally screwed by bad (or worse) advertising

I have to agree with you. If it hadn't been for a lucky find while browsing NetFlix, I would never have heard of the series or the movie! I got the movie and found out about the series, then got the 4 DVD's to fill in the back story from Serenity.

Firefly/Serenity is one of those rare productions that leaves an ache in your heart when they finally end... and a longing to have just "one more" adventure with this wonderful cast and writer.

I sincerely hope for Sci-Fi (or anyone!) to pick up this franchise.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to trojan58)
Post #: 8
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 5/15/2006 4:21:09 PM   
Rainbow7

I caught one episode part way through its initial run, and I only watched 10 minutes of it ... thought it was a cheap sci-fi series, like so many of them are. But it was rave reviews of the series when it came out on DVD (and a low price tag) that got me into it. And man, do I ever love it now. I understand what you mean about that 'ache in the heart.' I loved this show, and the movie.

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 9
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 6/24/2006 5:36:49 PM   
Kuokkanen

Saw movie yesterday and it rocks! It ties up some of the storylines, has good visuals but also some silly stuff. Like when River beats Jayne and several others in bar fight. It was obvious from serie that River is some superhuman, but when scared little girl suddenly turns out to be better killer than Riddick (pun intended), manuscript writers have lost sense of credibility! Otherwise I recommend movie for all fans of serie.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 6/24/2006 5:40:24 PM >

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 10
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 6/24/2006 6:01:10 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm

Firefly and Crusade (Babylon 5 spin off) are the two series that should have never been cancelled. They should of have had at least a 5 year span.

I can't agree with the second. I was a total B5 addict (and have the whole lot on DVD), but I thought Crusade was absolute rubbish in comparison. Weak characters, awful plots and even the special effects were worse. Sort of a feeble Star Trek imitation stuck in the B5 universe. Yuk.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 11
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 6/25/2006 9:35:57 PM   
Skyros

Fox executives really blew the introduction by showing the Train Robbery episode because it had a lot of shoot em up to it.  The pilot was not shown until almost midway through its run and many viewers could not understand why therse charecters were together on the ship and what their stories were.  I think it aso was bumbed during the World Series which never helps a new show.

Keep Flying

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 12
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 6/26/2006 7:12:42 AM   
Marauders

Fox messed up Firefly by airing it out of sequence, but there are hopes that the Sci Fi Channel will revive it.

The movie was pretty good.

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 13
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 6/26/2006 7:25:15 AM   
Ron Belcher

I'm a dedicated Browncoat too!  I bought 2 sets of both the series on DVD box set and the movie, Serenity.  I gave one set of each
to a good friend of mine! 

"...can't stop the Signal !"

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 14
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 6/26/2006 9:48:20 AM   
Marauders

Ah, but do you have Serenity on DVD-HD?  It looks very nice!

(in reply to Ron Belcher)
Post #: 15
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 6/26/2006 9:53:51 AM   
Brady

But if Fox owns the rights I wounder if, they can do Sci Fi, what with Fox having it's own Chanel and all....?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 16
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 6/27/2006 7:56:25 AM   
Viper6

Fox aired The Train Job first becouse they wanted more of a shoot-em-up action type of series anyway, in the end what Joss Whedon wanted to do with Firefly was not really what Fox had in mind for the series; so they pulled the plug.

SciFi has already bought the re-run rights for the origonal series (they ran them almost constantly before the movie cam out), and acording the the rumers were waiting to see how well the movie did at the box office to determin if they wanted to pick it up as a series. SciFi does has a reputation of taking supposedly dead series from other channels and reviving them. Thier current biggest money maker, Stargate, is one of the better examples. Serenity the movie (why did they give the movie the same name as the pilot?) however did not do very well at the box office at all, and so far nothing has happend at SciFi ...

There is also a rumer that the origonal contract for the movie was for 2 sequals, but in light of Serenity's box office failier I'm not sure if that will happen or not.

Just things I've picked up ... also a dedicated Firefly fan, honestly it's better than any other sci-fi show out there, including Star Trek. The movie was alright, though they tried to sell it as a big action movie which was a mistake, Whedon really is better at wrighting and directing for television though.

Alex Clark - Viper
Flashpoint Germany Beta Test Team
Flashpoint Middle East Beta Test Team

Supervising Lighting and Sound Technician,
University of Minnesota, Morris

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 17
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/13/2006 5:59:01 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viper6

Fox aired The Train Job first becouse they wanted more of a shoot-em-up action type of series anyway

What the Hell those guys were smoking? In Firefly was action in every episode unlike in Star Trek The Next Generation. TNG is still great despite lack of action (episode Offspring is GREAT!)

(in reply to Viper6)
Post #: 18
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/13/2006 7:03:34 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

The series was good, just had the great misfortune to be aired in the worst time slot possible. Anything would have died in the timeslot it was given.

The movie was the best thing to grace the scifi scene since the first Star Wars film. Unequalled film. But one stellar film might not be enough to salvage the interest in the series. Too bad.

It's not like the scifi loving public has nothing to watch, and that's the hurdle.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 19
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/13/2006 8:07:17 PM   
carnifex

It's good the series ended when it did.  As a matter of fact I would have cut out one or two episodes out of the original run, because they slowed down the main plot.   Firefly/Serenity works better as a miniseries than a regular multi-season episodic show imho.   Less is more.   If the show ran three seasons or something the plot would have gotten tired and the characters stale and the series would have fizzled out like so many others, but this way it's nice and compact and you don't need to sit through a lot of nearly-worthless content to get to the gems.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 20
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/13/2006 8:34:30 PM   
Zakhal

I watched 9 seasons of stargate in one sitting (sleep in between of course) year ago during the summer holiday. That was just awesome. There are lots of other good series too but nowadays many good scifi series get shut down for almost no reason. Its rare to have a series last that long.

The best thing about long series is the continuity. Its the kind of goodness that no movie or short series can have.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 7/13/2006 8:35:47 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 21
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/15/2006 8:17:41 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

The best thing about long series is the continuity. Its the kind of goodness that no movie or short series can have.

I've gotta point out that some series have cross-references to each others. It's nice too and make universe feel bit bigger. Star Trek series and movies are good example.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 22
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/15/2006 9:43:42 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

It's good the series ended when it did. As a matter of fact I would have cut out one or two episodes out of the original run, because they slowed down the main plot. Firefly/Serenity works better as a miniseries than a regular multi-season episodic show imho. Less is more. If the show ran three seasons or something the plot would have gotten tired and the characters stale and the series would have fizzled out like so many others, but this way it's nice and compact and you don't need to sit through a lot of nearly-worthless content to get to the gems.

I would have to disagree. I love the characters and this series could definitely move beyond the original plotline (pretty much resolved in the movie) and into an extended series of adventures just as the various Star Trek incarnations did. Even the original storyline could still be fodder for an extended and continuing pursuit and evasion scenario along with a continuing development of the characters. I don't think that it's all a neatly wrapped package, finished, and ready to be put on the shelf. Lots more could be done, many more stories could be told, many new worlds to be visited.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 23
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/16/2006 6:49:21 AM   
JosephL

For the record I talked to Ron White (the guy who plays the priest) and his exact words on any addition things after the move was "incredibly unlikely."  Sorry guys, but according to Ron the Firefly series is dead.

Still my second favorite sci-fi series (next to SG-1)... and I got his autograph ;-)

-Joe

Joseph Lieberman

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 24
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/16/2006 7:29:21 PM   
Rainbow7

Yeah, but that might have been a reply to the likelihood of his character returning, which we know can't really happen.

(in reply to JosephL)
Post #: 25
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/16/2006 10:14:17 PM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainbow

Yeah, but that might have been a reply to the likelihood of his character returning, which we know can't really happen.

In a Whedon universe anything can happen.

But I think the problem here is that he should have been talking to Ron Glass...

PS - I agree it's highly unlikely that we'll see any more feature films anytime soon. Although I'm still (irrationally) holding onto the slightest glimmer of hope for a Sci-Fi Channel series.

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 26
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/16/2006 10:45:21 PM   
Rainbow7

White ... Glass ... didn't catch that.

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 27
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/16/2006 10:54:37 PM   
rhondabrwn

Well, remember that getting the Serenity movie project done was also an incredible "long shot" so never give up hope. And, as pointed out, Ron's character bit the dust in the movie so he's out of it anyway (which is sad, because they never explained his past, and how his ID got him immediate medical treatment in that one episode of the series). Has anyone ever read any explanations or reasonable speculations regarding his past?

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 28
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/16/2006 10:57:24 PM   
Tomus

I heard the film did not do that well at cinemas despite absolute top notch reviews.....

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 29
RE: Serenity, The Movie... - 7/16/2006 11:04:34 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomus

I heard the film did not do that well at cinemas despite absolute top notch reviews.....

It didn't get a whole lot of promotion. I didn't even know about the series until I stumbled across the movie in the NetFlix "New Releases" section. Once I watched it, I was hooked and the Firefly series soon followed. Out here on the Rez, it is a very popular title in my free lending library and is usually out on loan continually. Sci-Fi is very popular with the Navajo, at least here in Tsaile.

One thing though, the fact that many of the colonial worlds that they land on are very primitive, very "wild west" and so the production costs aren't nearly as much as for your typical Sci-Fi futuristic world type environment. So much more of the action takes place on Serenity (a reusable set) so the movie didn't need to be a huge blockbuster to make a profit. I'm still betting on a Sci-Fi channel project at some point.

Fingers, toes, and legs crossed

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Serenity, The Movie... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI