Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

first impressions...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> first impressions... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
first impressions... - 5/16/2006 8:30:22 AM   
bittershrew

1. selection of league/rosters/etc....fine.
2. selection of cities/finances/etc....fine.
3. draft...you gotta be kidding me. i set it up for two human owners in a MP league. yu start the draft and BOOM.
you are in the draft. and there is NO stopping it. there is NO ability to stop it?! there is no ability to print out the draft pool?!?! this is like a terrible joke. since i was given ZERO input on this, i am currently running all 70 rounds of the draft on 'auto' to get to a point where i can start over and verifiy that it wasn't *me* who dropped the ball. this is really pissing me off, i can tell you.
okay. i set up a new league. at the bottom, there was something called 'players'. i open that...and there are the players. okay, fine. this is good. now on to an export in either a spreadsheet or an easily converted text file...you gotta be kidding me. no effing way. this is CRAP. i get to SEE the players, but i can't do any formulatic sorting on exported data in MY method of scouting?! i ALWAYS run my own simple analysis of players in this type of game. you know - contact + power + speed, then sorted by age and stuff like that. and why are all of the columns left-justified???? that looks plain sloppy, and should've been set up to do things LIKE THE REST OF THE ENTIRE PLANET DOES. jeesh. what is that - strike four already? and i haven't even played a game!
the only other button that can be accessed at the bottom is for something called 'add-in modules'. whatever that is, it holds zero interest for me at this point. i am already slowly pointing my thumb downwards at this point. i don't want much. i want a multi-player league made up of fictional players that perform at 'normal/believable' levels. is that so hard to do? probably not. they did that in the 80s.
okay, so i see that 'home' sends me back to my team page, or on the way to it at least. i click my front office. okay - that's it. once again, there is NO support for printing out of ANYTHING AT ALL. ZERO. i am 99% sure at this point that the sports interactive guys, makers of the best sports simulation that has ever been done, are going to get my long-term business. i am so goddam mad right now. despite the fury, i will play along and check out this CRAPPY game...i just thought of something. when you start the draft, there is no stopping at any time. so, even though you might have a 20-man league of humans playing, you have to have the game sit open while each team drafts players over perhaps a week. i LAUGH at this crappy game again! who in their right mind makes a draft that can't be stopped no matter what?! 70 rounds, here we come! i don't care if you want to go to work - we have a DRAFT TO DO.
terrible decision to not include this basic feature. cripes. i'm glad this dude didn't invent the sink. it wouldn't have had a hole.
back to the draft. at this point, i only will do it to hopefully get more laughs. my $30 is long gone. i would pay $130 to make sure that this guy never makes another game. i couldn't care less about who/what gets drafted at this point, so i put it on auto-draft. RIVETING. boy, those left-justified columns sure do look SWELL!
after the draft, i see the front office stuff which looks very nice on the surface. i won't see what it looks like in-depth, because i couldn't care less after the crap i have seen so far. i'm sure that it will be just as pointless. with some difficulty, i find my way back to the ability to run spring training. all games feature the ability to adjust training on some level. even cycling manager 2. before i click, i'm already sure that this most basic of things is most likely unaddressed by the lame maker. so far, i was givne the ability to NOT look at the draft list as i saw fit, and was treated to a complete auto-generation of the teams. yawn. click. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! it is still running the LAME auto-spring CRAP. i KNEW it! a very nice PSPN report comes up. so? why? who cares about this junky game at this point? why put icing on a cake made of CRAP.
now i see mthat most buttons are now available down at the bottom. i click on 'games' and see that i am given three options. i consider the three...then don't do a thing. why waste another minute. this thing is like a butt ugly date. i just want to slow the car down enough by its trailer to shove it out of the car. i am done.
listen, fan gals. whine and attack all you want. i am blocking any further e-mail from the maker. i am never coming back to the forum. i only hope that this helps someone who won't make the same mistake i made in buying this junk. i'm sure that OOTP will be as terrific as i expect. prior versions were fine, but no champman. to have it be taken under the champman wing is IDEAL. you go your way, and i'll go mine. i've never understood why people would intentionally eat liver & onions when they just could've had a steak...
Post #: 1
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 8:42:18 AM   
OrionX

Currently I have soome ill feelings towards Matrix and Shaun just becasue I can't get one question answered - and I'll even admit that I'm going overboard with it but what you just posted and since you've just joined the forums and have only one post I must say that your first overall impression holds no water. There is a huge crack, no - make that a massively sized nuclear warhead hole in your post and ways of thinking. While you are intitiled to your opinion, your approach is completly hopeless, unfounded, lost, and the keyboard your fingers so gracefully molest begs for a new owner.

(in reply to bittershrew)
Post #: 2
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 8:46:53 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

i'm glad this dude didn't invent the sink. it wouldn't have had a hole

I have to admit that was a good one :)

Believe me I am continually looking into improving the game, so your feedback is appreciated, and considered. Being able to save during the draft is certainly something I'd like to add.

BTW, there is comprehensive export support on the statistics page and the HTML almanac allows for full print support. Probably not exactly what you are looking for but maybe worth a look.

I hope the game grows on you a bit :)

Developer, PureSim Baseball

Post #: 3
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 8:50:15 AM   
sovereignstar

Tactful. I did find the left justification stuff kind of funny though.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 4
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 9:09:54 AM   
PadresFan104

For any new folks reading the board wondering what to make of this post, here's the skinny on the points the poster made. Some points are valid, but he didn't choose to be part of the process of making the game even better. His loss...

- You can view the draft pool before the draft, but at this time there is no feature to print or export the draft list. I agree that this would be a nice feature.

- The left justification point is valid, but until the poster noted it, I never noticed it. Might be a good tweak in the future.

- Yes, once the draft has begun, there is no way to pause and resume later. It's never bothered me as a solo player, but maybe it's something to consider for the future.

- The game does not have options to print from within the game. Again, maybe a future consideration.

- Once your league is running, you will be given the ability to export all player data in excel, html, access or comma delimted format. Since this functionality already exists, it might be possible for Shaun to include this functionality before the draft.

- Spring training does run automatically. It's not the games that are important in this sim though, it's the results. After spring training you are able to get a good feel for the true abilities (and ability changes) in your players before finalizing your rosters for the season. This is done through a series of reports.

Again, for the new folks, Shaun is a very responsive developer, and I'm sure he'll consider adding some or all of these features in the future. (Now that they have been presented in a normal manner) The poster had some decent thoughts, but being a jerk about it is just plain stupid.

Al

(in reply to OrionX)
Post #: 5
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 9:53:05 AM   
AngryTree

Shaun used to have it set up so you could adjust the amount of playing time players got during the spring. I wouldn't mind seeing that return -- I was probably the only one that bothered to change any of the defaults.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 6
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 11:19:04 AM   
JudgeDredd

I don't know how any of you could be bothered reading that incoherent crap. I was bored after the first few lines.

M8, how dare you come on a message board and, first post, rip someones work apart. This guy made this game for people to enjoy. It's not all one sided, he'll get paid, but for him, it's a labour of love. And for someone to come on the website and tear it apart just because it doesn't meets his "way of playing" is atrocious.

That is the most incoherent post I have ever read in my entire life. My 9 year old daughter could hang a post better than this. Can you program? I hope not, looking at the state of your puntuation, grammar and use of case.

As a programmer myself, it winds me up when people rip the crap out of a program just because it doesn't work the way they want it. More than likely, the "way to do it" has not been passed onto the programmer properly. The most likely scenario, though, is they're just against change...full stop. And they have no idea how to program...

You could have been so much more constructive with your criticism and actually made people think.

The game is not going to be to everyones taste. Even the people that really like the game would probably like something changed.

I bought this game even though I know very little about baseball and even less about the stats and rules...but here's why:
1. My first post on here showed me how friendly the regular posters are
2. I have spotted how commited this guy (puresimmer) is to trying to make the game for everyone to enjoy

His only error, probably, is not realising that he will never be able to do that because there are a few a$$holes about (thinking first post here).

If you can program this better, go ahead...I will take my hat of to you and even apologise. Otherwise, p!ss off.

I expect the forum will be alot happier without you. Don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out, k?

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 7
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 12:28:07 PM   
DandricSturm

quote:

ORIGINAL: AngryTree

Shaun used to have it set up so you could adjust the amount of playing time players got during the spring. I wouldn't mind seeing that return -- I was probably the only one that bothered to change any of the defaults.

I think you could also allot various amounts of time or points or something to pitching, hitting, or defense. It would be nice, but not if it interferes with other things.

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/

(in reply to AngryTree)
Post #: 8
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 2:32:07 PM   
tbear2b

I won't rip the original inane post to shreds, because that has already happened, but what REALLY bothered me is the fact that a little, albeit useful, thing like saving your draft halfway through, is what tipped off bittershrew enough to rip apart the ENTIRE game.

PureSim isn't about the draft options, it's about the simulation, the statistics, the simple complexity. For anyone else out there wondering if they should buy the game, unless being able to save your draft is the most important thing in the world (second being the left justification apparently?) I would full-heartedly suggest it.

Post #: 9
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 2:56:41 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well I just played my first game (learning template) as Omaha and really enjoyed it. Thx puresimmer. Looking forward to lots of "Just one more turn" statements with this one to the wife!!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to tbear2b)
Post #: 10
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 3:08:31 PM   
captskillet

First impressions.......great game, ball flight is awesome.................have played 4 games as Sawx skipper seeing if I can re-create the magic of the 2004 seasdon and have run into no problems so far...........my only suggestion is to tone down a couple of the pop-ups/fly balls (or can your adjust than in config PSPN cast?)..........they really go into the stratosphere before finally coming down.

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Post #: 11
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 3:23:31 PM   
Marc von Martial

Don't feed the trolls

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 12
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 3:40:37 PM   
JudgeDredd

I know Marc - I should know better, but it really winds me up when people sit on their armchairs with nothing to do but gripe. Someone has put a lot of time and effort into producing something for someone and all they can do is sit there and bitch.

He'll be better off over at the OOTP forums...not sure about the other OOTP posters, though.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 13
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 7:27:12 PM   
Amaroq

I love how he bails *before playing a game*... that's just brilliant!

But it might give Shaun a point to consider - barrier to entry. I love the game because I think the game play and season-after-season experience is fantastic. But if you are losing a customer, whatever we might think of his posting style, *before* they reach that point, then maybe there are some things to consider.

Post #: 14
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 8:24:41 PM   
tbear2b

The game plays like last year's version, so it isn't a struggle to get used to at all. The in-flight animation is just plain cool, beats the heck out of the lines, although I think maybe next year should have both? Just an idea. The ability to save a template association just rocks. Also, the little things, like the player card (okay, maybe not a little thing) spruce up the graphics AND make it easier to see what is going on, without compromising anything.

So far, great job Shaun.

Post #: 15
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 9:08:03 PM   
MizzouRah_slith

One word: Troll

Or a 10 year old hitting keys on a keyboard.

(in reply to tbear2b)
Post #: 16
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 9:57:51 PM   
OrionX

I hope I wasn't coming across as a troll.

I was trying to just state that the originals posters comments held no water just due to the lack of how he communicated his dislikes.

(in reply to MizzouRah_slith)
Post #: 17
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 10:07:03 PM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

I love how he bails *before playing a game*... that's just brilliant!

But it might give Shaun a point to consider - barrier to entry. I love the game because I think the game play and season-after-season experience is fantastic. But if you are losing a customer, whatever we might think of his posting style, *before* they reach that point, then maybe there are some things to consider.

Exactly. There is usually a nugget in every post. Do posts like that bum me out? Of course -- people can get pretty nasty. I have to take a deep breath when I read stuff like that. That said, I already activated the export function pre-draft for v1.1, so that post was already a net positive for PureSim (my fragile ego aside!)

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 18
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 10:46:27 PM   
JudgeDredd

Hey puresimmer....you didn't invent anything else did you? I hate to think what else you screwed up on!!

I'm having a great time with the game. Thank you very much. You have the people here for being helpful and your apparent commitment to making it what you want it to be to thank for my purchase. As far as I'm concerned, I can see me having loads of fun with this - which = bargain!

Thank you.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 19
RE: first impressions... - 5/16/2006 11:31:27 PM   
Bucky

puresimmer,

I also purchased the 2005 Gold and was also wondering if there was a special upgrade price. It appears not which is OK. The previous version was pretty good, if the improvements in 2007 are significant, I won't mind purchasing it again.

I like supporting the small companies like yourself, and have also purchased Maximum Football. MAXFB looks promising and could be a very good game with the next couple of releases. Just like you, the creater of MAXFB is also very responsive to the customers.

Good luck, and I'll probably be purchaisng your new Baseball Sim in the near future.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> first impressions... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI