Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

For Shaun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> For Shaun Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
For Shaun - 5/21/2006 11:34:44 PM   
JudgeDredd

Shaun

I have a request please. As a complete n00b at Baseball, I'm finding it hard to find, learn and remember the meaning of the abbreviations relating to the stats in the game.

Please could you help this little British n00bie out and have popup text showing the meaning of each abbreviation as the mouse is hovered over it.

I don't want to hold up the next patch, but if you could let me know if it's possible and could be included sometime in the future, that would be great.

Thx for the fun.

Alba gu' brath
Post #: 1
RE: For Shaun - 5/22/2006 3:22:06 PM   
JudgeDredd

Here's hoping no news is good news!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: For Shaun - 5/22/2006 5:31:25 PM   
orton1227

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/baseball_basics/abbreviations.jsp

Here's a website that you can print out abbreviations from. It might be easier if you just compile a bunch of abbreviations in a Word document and then print it out, and keep it next to your computer. Hope this helps!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: For Shaun - 5/22/2006 5:44:12 PM   
JudgeDredd

I've tried that Orton, (although that's the first time I've been sent the link to that website). Just a quick look reveals that it doesn't show CH. Now I've only cited that as an example of the problem I'm having. I don't even have the game in front of me at the moment, and yet I know there is a stat CH and I can't remember what that stat means....or indeed if someone has told me it. Solution is to have the abbreviations explained in game. The columns can have tooltips on them as I've seen s tooltip appearing saying "Click to sort".

I have many sites being passed to me with stats abbreviations, but they don't seem to tally for all the abbreviations in the game.

Also, it would be much easier from a beginners point of view if I coudl hold the mouse over to see at first glance, rather than have to scan a document only to find the abbreviation isn't in the document I have...which is getting a little irritating now.

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm flying blind alot of the time, because I don't remember what stats mean what and I don't have a definitive place to go. If the stats abbreviations used in the game are not found on other websites (and this appears to be the case for a fair few of them) then the only definitive place for the abbreviatiosn to be elaborated on is in the game.

It's only a request, though.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to orton1227)
Post #: 4
RE: For Shaun - 5/22/2006 7:32:51 PM   
orton1227

Oh. I think the ones you can't figure out are the attribute abbreviations. CH is Contact Hitting. SPD is Speed etc. I'm surprised these aren't in the manual. I haven't read it myself though.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: For Shaun - 5/22/2006 8:09:41 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well I don't think it matters, orton. Thx for the help, but it seems my request has fallen on deaf ears.

I'll struggle along trying to find the answers and asking about.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to orton1227)
Post #: 6
RE: For Shaun - 5/23/2006 2:21:11 AM   
puresimmer

Sorry, I don't mean it to seem I am like I am ignoring you, at this point I am answering hundreds of messages and emails per week and this one is not a crash or seriosu game issue. I appreciate your feedback.

That said, I don't think there will be much added in this area. Please don't take this negatively, just not the sort of thing I can allocate a lot of time for.

Shaun

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: For Shaun - 5/23/2006 2:55:09 AM   
lynchjm24

If you go to Baseball Prospectus they have a glossary they link to on the top of the home page. That should have most of what you are looking for.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 8
RE: For Shaun - 5/23/2006 9:33:44 AM   
JudgeDredd

My post wasn't directed solely at you Shaun...well, the original one was, but the last one was just venting my frustration at enjoying a game I can't get to grips with. I'm making in roads, but it's slow going.

At least the answer is there.

Thx lynch. Someone pointed out there is a difference between some of the stats I can't find being personal stats. I'll have to spend the time playing the game and looking for the abbreviations and their meanings and make up my own comprehensive list. Shouldn't take too long. Any left, I can ask here to tidy up.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to lynchjm24)
Post #: 9
RE: For Shaun - 5/24/2006 3:39:58 PM   
Morace Smith

Shaun, Got your new version 2007 and even bought a new laptop for it. However, there are some problems as follows:

Unexpected Error -2005530520 This appears usually in the 3rd or 4th inning of a human controlled team right after a home run is hit. The whole system freezes and you have to power down to get out. This is frustrating at the very least.

Dialog/Result Boxes: When a hit occurs it does not always show a green box but a red box as an out occurred confusing at times but no big deal.

Size Of Screen: Can the screen size be reduced as I have hid my tool bar and I can barely play the game just barely enough room to click on the commands. On some screens you can't read the bottom of the page or know what the buttons are for its trial or error. Remember I am on a laptop, just checking to see what can be done.

Minor Leagues: The note on the top about the dialog box is confusing I don't even know where to look. It also would be a nice feature to be able to name the city and nickname to the different levels. Also, when do the minors become fully stocked?

Possible Improvements:
Just as you hired players it would be nice to hire coaches at each level with their skills and attributes which would also impact a teams financials. Also, with the coaches arguing with the umpire to contest a call could get you ejected and the preferences could kick in
I owed a baseball game in the 90's I have owned many but the game was Front Page Sports Baseball. The cool thing about the game was that with the ball flight you could see the players move to the ball and also the hitters/runners move on the basepaths. This would complete your package and add even more realism as actually sitting at the ball park. Also, in another game you could pick team colors home and away which would further add interest.

I have been a big supporter of yours I have bought every release and you have helped me in the past! You seem to care about your product. Don't take me wrong with my critque I really enjoy your game and hopefully you can make some of the fixes and with working with Matrix possible even more enhancements to make it an accurate and great game for all to enjoy! Feel free to contact me: Morace Smith MSmith3898@aol.com

Thanks for your time I bet your really busy!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: For Shaun - 5/24/2006 10:49:42 PM   
Johnny Slick

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Well I don't think it matters, orton. Thx for the help, but it seems my request has fallen on deaf ears.

I'll struggle along trying to find the answers and asking about.
Are you asking what the ratings mean? I'll try and break it down for you:

CH - Contact Hitting. The ability of the batter to make contact with the ball. Heavily influences batting average.

PH - Power Hitting. The ability of the batter to hit the ball with authority when he does hit it. Big influence on homeruns. In conjunction with CH and SPD, influences doubles and triples as well.

EYE - Eye. Ability of the batter to discern what's a ball and what's a strike. Influences walks, and since a guy with a high eye is more selective, probably gives a bump to all areas of the game.

SPD - Speed. How quickly the batter moves about the bases. Although as the saying goes you can't steal first base, you can steal second and third in this game. Also, a high-SPD player can turn a single into a double, a double into a triple, and take extra bases on other peoples' hits more often.

RNG - Range. How much ground a player covers at a given position in the field. Really important for CF, 2B, and SS, but pretty important for everybody who plays the field overall (except maybe C).

HND - Hands. How well a player handles the ball once he gets to it. Influences error rates. 2B, 3B, and SS all, historically speaking, can commit a lot of errors if they have low Hands ratings, so make sure those guys' are pretty high (especially if you're using my XML!).

ARM - Arm. The strength of a players' throwing arm. You want to make sure your RF and to some extent your CF have good ones for those long throws from the right side of the OF to catch a guy trying to go from 1st to 3rd on a single. Also, 3B and SS will have a lot of plays where their arm strength is tested against a fast batter's speed (long throw from 3rd and short to first), so it's a good idea to have guys there with good arms as well.

Stuff, Control, and Velocity - To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what these abilities prevent. Okay, Control is obviously how well a pitcher keeps his pitches within the strike zone, but even there things are so organic with pitchers that a guy with 20 CNT and 10 STF and VEL will probably walk more guys than a guy with 18 STF, CNT, and VEL.

Did that help?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: For Shaun - 5/24/2006 11:05:59 PM   
JudgeDredd

Alot. Thx for taking the time, Johnny. Much appreciated.

I just have to start collecting all these on a document for me to refer to.

Cheers

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Johnny Slick)
Post #: 12
RE: For Shaun - 5/24/2006 11:23:58 PM   
donkuchi19

Judge Dredd,

Don't feel bad about not knowing all of the abbreviations. I absolutely love baseball, have grown up with it all my life, but statistical geeks keep coming up with new things. I still don't know what WHIP is or how to figure it. I can do batting average, fielding pct, ERA, slugging pct, and all of those but cannot figure out WHIP. I don't really care that much because I have my set of stats that I look at and it works for me.

When it really comes down to it though, the only really important stat is the W/L record.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 13
RE: For Shaun - 5/24/2006 11:43:39 PM   
Johnny Slick

All WHIP is is walks + hits per innings pitched. It's a roto-league stat. The first I saw of it, in fact, was in an old Rotisserie League handbook. Interesting tidbit: one of the creators of that "game" is NY Times ombudsman Daniel Okrent.

(in reply to donkuchi19)
Post #: 14
RE: For Shaun - 5/25/2006 3:56:24 AM   
donkuchi19

Thanks Johnny,

I never really looked that one up. Now I don't have too. Makes sense too when you think about it.

(in reply to Johnny Slick)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support >> For Shaun Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI