Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Runner out tagging on fly ball

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Runner out tagging on fly ball Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Runner out tagging on fly ball - 5/29/2006 3:17:13 AM   
markprior22

There are too many instances of runners being thrown out at home on "deep" fly balls to the outfield. I just had a ball hit to deep CF (both the PBP and ball animation showed it as very deep) and the runner was thrown out tagging from 3B. This needs some tweaking.
Post #: 1
RE: Runner out tagging on fly ball - 5/29/2006 5:32:08 AM   
redeck

what was the runners speed, what was the fielders arm? i find that if the equation is in the runners favor by more than 30points or so, he will usually score. however hif its less, he will usually be gunned down.

but why wait for a fly ball just steal home everytime you get on third it seems to be effective for my faster runners LOL

thanks,
Dave

(in reply to markprior22)
Post #: 2
RE: Runner out tagging on fly ball - 5/29/2006 5:38:17 AM   
markprior22

I hear what you're saying but if a ball is hit to "deep" OF, any professional baseball player could tag and score from third.

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 3
RE: Runner out tagging on fly ball - 5/29/2006 6:07:51 AM   
Amaroq

LoL. I've had this happen as well - a deep fly to right-center, and my Speed 91 player was thrown out by an OF arm rated 44?

(in reply to markprior22)
Post #: 4
RE: Runner out tagging on fly ball - 5/29/2006 6:30:50 AM   
redeck

thats why i say steal home dont wait for the fly ball

thanks,
Dave

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 5
RE: Runner out tagging on fly ball - 5/29/2006 5:17:39 PM   
starship

You've just hit upon what I consider to be the biggest problem with text-based baseball sims--the play-by-play is just window dressing.  It looks pretty, but has no real meaning to the play of the game.  So, a fly ball that appears to go to the wall or right behind the infield is looked at by the game the same way--as a fly ball.  The only factor that's important is the ratings of the runner and thrower.  In other words, any time the game asks if you want to tag or not there is a chance you'll be thrown out.

P.S.  The only exception to this is Diamond Mind Baseball, where the description of where the ball is really does matter. 

P.P.S  Sorry for my text size.  For some reason I can't change the font.

< Message edited by starship -- 5/29/2006 5:19:37 PM >

(in reply to redeck)
Post #: 6
RE: Runner out tagging on fly ball - 5/30/2006 2:38:17 AM   
Amaroq

You're wrong about that, in this instance.

If you play PureSim, you'll notice that its much easier to advance on a Deep Fly ball than a normal distance one, and easier at normal distance than shallow. Its also much harder to advance to second base (closer to most outfielders) than to home plate. Its also much easier to go from second to third on a fly ball to right field than a fly ball to left field.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 7
RE: Runner out tagging on fly ball - 5/30/2006 1:47:18 PM   
captskillet

I think you gotta do some reading between the lines on the PbyP..........I got used to doing that with BBW...........it may have been a deep fly ball but did say 'to the wall' or 'on the track'.....generally unless I have a Rickey Henderson/Ty Cobb type on 3rd I pretty much have to see something in the PbyP that tells me the fielder is on the warning track or at the wall specifically before I send guys!   And by the way depth of the flyball has a meaning (at least it did in BBW) .

< Message edited by captskillet -- 5/30/2006 1:49:20 PM >

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to starship)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Runner out tagging on fly ball Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI