Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ootp6

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> ootp6 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ootp6 - 6/2/2006 5:27:27 AM   
waltwa

i have always bought both games but have favored ootp over puresim. i really think puresim has greatly improved this year and am really enjoying playing it. but i also have bought the new ootp and like many have really had a steep learning curve. but as i have played ootp and am beginning to learn the many new and complicated aspects of the game i am beginning to find the potential for a fantastic game.

if you go to the forum for ootp you will see all kinds of complaints and many justified but the difference i see is that this edition of puresim is a major improvement over a previous edition while ootp is almost a new game and also an extremely deep game. ootp needs a 350 page game guide but the game is solid and i think it works.

you know what is great- there are 2 developers that are trying to make money by pleasing their customers and both are forcing each other to produce a better product each year. i recently remodelled my house and i went to Lowe's and Home Depot to buy products. i hope to have puresim, ootp and baseball mogul on my computer (altho mogul better get going).
Post #: 1
RE: ootp6 - 6/2/2006 6:32:38 AM   
Beach23BoyP

Competition is always good. That's why "govt programs" don't (or very rarely) work.

(in reply to waltwa)
Post #: 2
RE: ootp6 - 6/2/2006 6:09:06 PM   
MagyarBill

In the past two months I've bought the newest versions of PS, OOTP and BM and have played PS and BM quite a bit since the new versions have come out.  I just got the new version of OOTP and haven't had a chance to really get into it but I intend to play all three.  Each of them has something that they do better than the other two.  I like all three games for various reasons.  I'm going on vacation but when I get back I plan on playing the 20th century using historical players in all three games to see how the results differ - of course, it will probably take me a long time to do it but it will be fun.  I always wonder about those people who complain about the prices and paying for new editions each year.  I pay $8 for a movie that lasts maybe 2 hours and may suck but my $29.95 for PS (and the $ I spend on OOTP and BM) will give me hundreds of hours of enjoyment - money well spent.

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 3
RE: ootp6 - 6/2/2006 6:52:30 PM   
domonas

I have all three as well, and each game obviously has its pros and cons. 

BM just seems too "easy" to build up a dynasty.  Took the current O's and won 28 straight championships.  But the good thing about BM is that it has a built-in historical sim system.  Just start from 1901 and hit sim, and it'll make all the necessary team name/city changes as well as the built-in expansion.  The stats are the least realistic of the 3 IMO (too many 60+ HR seasons and I think Ryan Howard ended up with over 1000+ HR's at the end of his career), but ease of use and sim speed makes this game fun to play.  I should note that during a purely historic replay sim, the game crashes at 1993, but I believe they are working to correct this problem.

PS is something I'm still getting used to and honestly, have played a bit more since the 1.12 patch came out.  I like the expansion, ease of use, the almanac has a nice mixture of stats and info... the biggest drawback IMO to this game is the speed.  It's taken me quite a long time to sim through the early part of the century in my replay sim that started in 1901, and it'll only go slower once the expansion teams are put in during subsequent years. 

OOTP is something that I havne't logged many hours with, so I'm hesitant to really speak much about it.  But from what I have noticed, it is by far the most complex of the 3 games (in terms of options and configurations).  It's very thorough in terms of letting the user become the GM of a franchise and manage almost EVERY aspect of being a GM, but that is also its drawback.  You can get so bogged down in the micromanaging of a team, and you fail to really enjoy seeing the product you put together out on the field.  Honestly, OOTP will be easier to use and bugs worked out with subsequent patches, but as of today, I think I like PM the best in terms of ease of use, fullness of features, accurate stats, etc.  Maybe after a couple patches to OOTP that'll change, but we'll see.

(in reply to MagyarBill)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> ootp6 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI