Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interesting website

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Interesting website Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interesting website - 6/9/2006 7:51:27 PM   
o4r

Just follow this link, you will see alot of pdf file.

download all of them and slowly read.... It contains alot of article on small arm those we are interested....

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf

Post #: 1
RE: Interesting website - 6/9/2006 9:09:22 PM   
KG Erwin

Very nice. Thanks.

(in reply to o4r)
Post #: 2
RE: Interesting website - 6/10/2006 10:24:53 AM   
o4r

I wonder did anyone use AT rifle in WWII to snipe enemy.... just like the way we use the .5 cal sniper rifle...

BTW, Eriwin, any inside info on the outcome of combat leader....

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Interesting website - 6/10/2006 4:00:22 PM   
264rifle

I have read of the British "Boys" rifle being used for anti-personel work in Eiteria (?) by firing against rock to form splinters. No mention of range. no way to simulate this the game.

3 problems with WWII Anti-tank rifles being used as long range snipers.

1. I suspect (but can't prove) that the ammo wasn't accurate enough to make it really worth while. Modern Ammo may keep all rounds in a 1 foot circle at 1000yds but WWII anti tank ammo might have been lucky to keep all rounds in in a 3-4 circle at 1000yds. Just a guess and would like to hear from anybody with real information.

2. More important is that there may have been a real problem mounting scopes on these guns. Modern .50cal rifles are notorous for wrecking scopes mounted on them (special models have been developed to solve the problem). Even if some enterprising souls did mount a WWII era scope on an AT rifle as a private venture I wonder just how many shots it might last for before the cross hairs broke or a lens fell out. Remember that the gun would have to be fired to sight it in thus reducing the number of combat rounds before failure.

3 German and Polish 7.9mm rifles had severe barrel wear problems and any rounds fired degraded their muzzle velocity and thus their armour penetration.

If some hard working senerio designer want's to use this idea all well and good but it seems like too much of a "what if" to put in the game otherwise.

(in reply to o4r)
Post #: 4
RE: Interesting website - 6/10/2006 4:03:53 PM   
Korpraali V

quote:

ORIGINAL: 264rifle

I have read of the British "Boys" rifle being used for anti-personel work in Eiteria (?) by firing against rock to form splinters. No mention of range. no way to simulate this the game.

Eritrea? If it's against the Italians in East Africa then that's probably the place.

(in reply to 264rifle)
Post #: 5
RE: Interesting website - 6/11/2006 3:13:02 AM   
264rifle

You are right. One of these days I will learn to spell, maybe in another 20 years.

Problem with trying to put this into the game is that the trick doesn't work if the ground is sand, soft dirt or deep snow. Game doesn't know the difference.

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Interesting website Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI