Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Couple of questions from an OOTP user

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Couple of questions from an OOTP user Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/10/2006 12:04:58 PM   
Claymore Cut

Hi,

I am considering buying this game, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask that I was not able to figure out from the demo (I'm more familar with the OTTP series).

1) Is it possible to set up an exibition game?

2) I see there aren't the standard 40 man rosters. Is there a September call up or no?

3) How are rookie contracts and free Agency handled?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/10/2006 2:59:32 PM   
henry296

1.  I think you can do something like that in Sandbox Mode, but I've never tried.
2.  There are no September call-ups
3.  During the draft you offer your draftees a 1-5 contract.  Free agency is a round by round set up where you offer contracts and then player will let you know who he favors.  You will have one chance to beat the offer.  Even if you offer more money and the same years, they still might pick the other team.

Hope that helps.

(in reply to Claymore Cut)
Post #: 2
RE: Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/10/2006 4:29:04 PM   
JimboJ

To answer the first question, no there is no exhibition game mode, although I think that would be a nice addition.  I would like to be able to manage a few games and get a feel for my roster before I start playing games that count.

(in reply to henry296)
Post #: 3
RE: Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/10/2006 8:00:22 PM   
Claymore Cut

1) Don't see why you could not have a pick up game. To be honest, when I downloaded the demo, I really wanted to get a feel for the managing system so I spent about 30 minutes looking for the option.

2) That really sucks about spetember call ups. It would be great as a check box option for those that wanted it.

3) So I am guessing no arbitration, but you can lock in rookies for 5 years? Why not the traditional 6?

Seriously, this game has a lot too offer. The new OOTP is gonna take me MONTHS to figure out. I could see myself swtiching main sims to puresim if they only added a little depth to the roster management/contracts.

A 40 man roster with call ups (or something like it) a toggle option to have free agency or no (i.e. in the pre-1970s you simply could not hop teams), and a slightly more indepth contract system if using free agency would be about all I think I need.

Any chance of any of these things getting patched in? I'm not familar with previous versions or history so I'm not sure if anything I just suggested is taboo or not.

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 4
RE: Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/10/2006 9:58:35 PM   
markprior22

Shaun's been making big changes and adding a lot over the past couple of years.  I don't know what his specific priority list is, but I imagine most of these things are "on the list"

Post #: 5
RE: Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/10/2006 10:16:31 PM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

ORIGINAL: markprior22

Shaun's been making big changes and adding a lot over the past couple of years. I don't know what his specific priority list is, but I imagine most of these things are "on the list"

Given the complete disatisfaction with a lot of people with OOTP2006, he really has an opertunity to gain some ground here in the BB sim market. A lot of people are holding off purchasing OOTP2006 (or interested in trying something new). I'd suspect is some of the suggestions I made were included as options, the game would have an even greater appeal to such an audience.

< Message edited by Claymore Cut -- 6/10/2006 10:17:24 PM >

(in reply to markprior22)
Post #: 6
RE: Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/11/2006 1:54:46 AM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymore Cut

1) Don't see why you could not have a pick up game. To be honest, when I downloaded the demo, I really wanted to get a feel for the managing system so I spent about 30 minutes looking for the option.

2) That really sucks about spetember call ups. It would be great as a check box option for those that wanted it.

3) So I am guessing no arbitration, but you can lock in rookies for 5 years? Why not the traditional 6?

Seriously, this game has a lot too offer. The new OOTP is gonna take me MONTHS to figure out. I could see myself swtiching main sims to puresim if they only added a little depth to the roster management/contracts.

A 40 man roster with call ups (or something like it) a toggle option to have free agency or no (i.e. in the pre-1970s you simply could not hop teams), and a slightly more indepth contract system if using free agency would be about all I think I need.

Any chance of any of these things getting patched in? I'm not familar with previous versions or history so I'm not sure if anything I just suggested is taboo or not.

1. I don't understand the real need for that.
2. With OOTP I never called up more than 5. I guess we need at least that many in PS.
3. You can change the XML file to 6 or 7 year contracts. Easy to do. And yes, you can kill "Free Agency" during league creatation.

BTW, with the power of the XML file you can do things only dreamed of with OOTP. I suggest you check it out. Shaun just needs to keep on working. He is getting closer and closer. IMO, OOTP2006 has potential, but Markus lost a bit of focus when he adapted his baseball sim to SI Games' Football (Soccer) sim.

Post #: 7
RE: Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/11/2006 2:30:59 AM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beach23BoyP

2. With OOTP I never called up more than 5. I guess we need at least that many in PS.
3. You can change the XML file to 6 or 7 year contracts. Easy to do. And yes, you can kill "Free Agency" during league creatation.

BTW, with the power of the XML file you can do things only dreamed of with OOTP. I suggest you check it out. Shaun just needs to keep on working. He is getting closer and closer. IMO, OOTP2006 has potential, but Markus lost a bit of focus when he adapted his baseball sim to SI Games' Football (Soccer) sim.

1) Because sometimes you might not want to play a full league but have a couple of what if games for fun.
2) I'm not sure if I follow you. In MLB (which this games does a pretty good job of simming) you get to expand your roster from 25 to 40 in September. It would be great (especially for historical simmers) to have this as a an option.
3) You can kill free Agency, but can you toggle it (i.e. start with it off but turn in on for historical sims in the 70's?)

As for the XML stuff, I am complete idiot when it comes to codding and such. Is there any puresim editing tutorials or the such you might direct me too? I don't even know where to start ;-)

As for OOTP, I''m not trying to bash it, it's just way too much in a lot of directions I don't want to go. I'm sure many will love it, but I (and I'm guessing quite a few more, from the ootp boards) would prefer something that doesn't require a 354 page manual to get the hang of.

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 8
RE: Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/11/2006 4:21:50 PM   
Abev

quote:

ORIGINAL: markprior22

Shaun's been making big changes and adding a lot over the past couple of years.  I don't know what his specific priority list is, but I imagine most of these things are "on the list"

IMO this is the best thing about PS. Shaun is always here and contributing to the forum and keeping us up to date with changes hes making/will make. When the community asks for a change, he usually makes it.

(in reply to markprior22)
Post #: 9
RE: Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/11/2006 4:59:40 PM   
Beach23BoyP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymore Cut

quote:

1) Because sometimes you might not want to play a full league but have a couple of what if games for fun.
2) I'm not sure if I follow you. In MLB (which this games does a pretty good job of simming) you get to expand your roster from 25 to 40 in September. It would be great (especially for historical simmers) to have this as a an option.
3) You can kill free Agency, but can you toggle it (i.e. start with it off but turn in on for historical sims in the 70's?)

As for the XML stuff, I am complete idiot when it comes to codding and such. Is there any puresim editing tutorials or the such you might direct me too? I don't even know where to start ;-)

As for OOTP, I''m not trying to bash it, it's just way too much in a lot of directions I don't want to go. I'm sure many will love it, but I (and I'm guessing quite a few more, from the ootp boards) would prefer something that doesn't require a 354 page manual to get the hang of.

XML editing is not coding. It is simply copying the puresim.xml file (found in the xml folder) to another name (mine is Beach23BoyP_51_Realplayers.xml) and then easily editing it via Wordpad or Notepad. It is just as easy to do that as it is to edit a document using Microsoft Word.

Search this forum for posts about xml file.

Post #: 10
RE: Couple of questions from an OOTP user - 6/11/2006 8:01:22 PM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

XML editing is not coding. It is simply copying the puresim.xml file (found in the xml folder) to another name (mine is Beach23BoyP_51_Realplayers.xml) and then easily editing it via Wordpad or Notepad. It is just as easy to do that as it is to edit a document using Microsoft Word.

Search this forum for posts about xml file.

Thanks for the info!

(in reply to Beach23BoyP)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Couple of questions from an OOTP user Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI