Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 6/28/2006 9:25:55 PM   
MarkShot

Greup,

In answer to your question, HTTR wasn't simply a repackaged RDOA from a different publisher. There were quite a few enhancements to the game. One of the most significant, in my opinion, was that RDOA only modeled down to the battalion level where as HTTR modeled down to the company level.

Thanks for taking the time to answer the survey! Enjoy the game (even if you are forced to run it under Windows). :)

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to Greup)
Post #: 31
RE: Promoting the game - 6/28/2006 9:36:18 PM   
JeF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98
The game is mostly movement with pausing to give orders. As a result screen shots do not do the game justice. Only a movie can give the correct flavour.

I second that.
Movements, manoeuver, delays, it's what this engine is about. No screenshot is able to render that.
And I do agree that the movie should have subtitles or any indication about what is going on.

JeF.

Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 32
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 6/28/2006 9:40:45 PM   
JeF

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot
One of the most significant, in my opinion, was that RDOA only modeled down to the battalion level where as HTTR modeled down to the company level.

Not 100% accurate : British and US arborne were modeled down to the company level. Most germans and XXXth corps were not. Some combat simulations (especially regarding big Flak Bn) were a bit odd IIRC.
HTTR gave a much better experience overall and came with scenarios covering the whole MG op.
FYI, all differences are listed in the HTTR game section on the website in my sig.

JeF.

Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 33
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 6/29/2006 2:09:02 PM   
Guppy

1) How did you become aware of COTA?

After reading the reviews and comments about HTTR, I followed the development to COTA.

(2) What led to your decision to purchase COTA?

I wasnt interested enough in the Arnhem setting but the COTA theatre just gave me an itch I had to scratch.

(3) Why hadn't you previously purchased RDOA or HTTR?

I was playing other games and dont like to have too many games going at once. I am working my way through the COTA tutorial and am hooked.

(4) Prior to the purchase did you try the old RDOA demo that can still be found on the Net for download?

No.

(5) How would you characterize your PC gaming interests?

Wargames (CMBB and CMAK, Combat Command 2: Danger Forward!, Combat Command 2: Desert Rats!, Korsun Pocket), COD, Adventure (does Sam and Max fit in that genre?)

It would be great to see more WWII theatres not covered.
Burma, New Guinea, Phillipines.

(6) Prior to your purchase had you previously purchased other Matrix Games offerings?

Korsun Pocket and Across the Dnepr, War Plan Orange

(in reply to Greup)
Post #: 34
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 6/29/2006 5:58:40 PM   
wodin

I would take the RDOA demo of the internet as I imagine it would do more harm than good.

COTA and even HTTR are so far removed from RDOA now.

(in reply to Guppy)
Post #: 35
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 6/29/2006 6:39:06 PM   
MarkShot

The Internet is not a BBS. Once something reaches it, it never truly dissappears. The RDOA demo is no longer available from Battlefront or Panther Games, but it can easily be found.

Personally, I don't believe the RDOA demo has much of an impact one way or another. Although it does seem clear that the development resources needed to make an up to date COTA demo would not be justified.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 36
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/6/2006 10:40:53 PM   
HansBolter

If COTA is the first Panther Games product which you have purchased, then would you please be so kind as to respond to the following questions. (If you have yet to purchase COTA but are waiting for the boxed version or intend to purchase it soon, then feel free to respond.)

(1) How did you become aware of COTA?

Coming Soon advertisements on the Matrix site.

Fell in love with the game mechanics system in HTTR

I own HTTR but this is the first I have even heard of RDOA...what is it?
(4) Prior to the purchase did you try the old RDOA demo that can still be found on the Net for download?

75% WWII wargames and 25% fantasy role playing
(it's a long story but basically in order to be able to wargame one night a week when my best friend got married we had to agree to participate in something his wife enjoyed as well so we all became table top D&D players one night a week as well and my interest in that genre has stuck)

(6) Prior to your purchase had you previously purchased other Matrix Games offerings?

Yes. I own Korsun Pocket, Across the Dnepr (best depiction of that portion of Barbarossa since Panzer Gruppe Guderian), Battles in Normandy, HTTR, Uncommon Valor and World at War.
Thank you for your time.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 37
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/6/2006 10:51:30 PM   
Roger Neilson

Via Matrix coming soon announcements

It seemed an innovative approach, especially the vector graphics idea
Hadn't heard of them
No
Strategic/operational/tactical - and historical rather than games
Yes laods, but don't have time to play them as I'm addicted to WITP
Thank you for your time.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 38
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/6/2006 10:53:30 PM   
MarkShot

RDOA = Red Devils Over Arnhem

This was actually the first game of the series (published by Battlefront in 2001).

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 39
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/7/2006 1:50:46 AM   
HansBolter

Ahh, I gues I missed that one.

There is an old AH area movement board game called Storm Over Arnhem. It is a fast paced highly playable and fun game. They carried the area movement mechanics system into two other games, one on Cassino and one on Stalingrad. I have all three on the shelf

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 40
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/7/2006 6:38:08 AM   
mbtanker

The movie idea is great (If you have not seen it yet try out Camtasia Studio, http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp). Movies are good for folks new to the system and good for explaining more complex features. I'd prefer those over an AAR. The AAR was useful but I found it long after buying and learning the game. More polish is always good as long as it does not detract from time on the manual and tutorials themselves.

(in reply to Greup)
Post #: 41
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/7/2006 6:09:52 PM   
Bonxa

As a HTTR I customer I have vague memories of responding to a similar inquiry some time back.

The movie idea sound fine, just make sure there is a lot of communication outside of the video itself, such as subtitles or voice.

One thing I find works against the AA engine is the difficulty in understanding the terrain. Terrain is critical to wargaming and the LOS tool and Area LOS tools do a reasonable job of getting me the info I want. Much better would be a shift to a 3D map. Think a mix between Combat Mission and Google Earth. The units would still be highly abstracted and the interface could essentially be kept as is. I think it would give a much better feeling to the game as well. With 3D cards of some sort being well spread now a days it shouldn't up the minumspecs noticably either. One game that came up in my mind while thinking about this is Dangerous Waters. It's SubSim combining a 3D world with a 2D map in an excellent way. Without the 3D map the game would be much more dull but without the 2D map it would be unplayable (due to the distances and amounts of information present).

Has this been considered before? What are the cons?

(in reply to mbtanker)
Post #: 42
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/7/2006 9:03:01 PM   
wodin

No 3D!! Please god. The day it goes 3D is the day I will stop buying the games in this series. I find the LOS area  tool fantastic.

I do not want to start messing around trying to get a decent viewpoint whilst Im playing a wargame.

(in reply to Bonxa)
Post #: 43
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/7/2006 9:20:23 PM   
Banquet

wodin - I agree that the main map probably shouldn't be 3d.. but I'd like a button where you could get a 3d view. If possibly with some kind of indication of where the units are. I think this would be a great feature. I would want to switch back to the 2d map though, for actual play.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 44
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/7/2006 10:57:38 PM   
Bonxa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet
wodin - I agree that the main map probably shouldn't be 3d.. but I'd like a button where you could get a 3d view. If possibly with some kind of indication of where the units are. I think this would be a great feature. I would want to switch back to the 2d map though, for actual play.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly how it works in "Dangerous Waters". You have one main view and one window on top of it (The window takes up less than 1/4 of the display but should ideally be scalable). You can toggle between having the main view as the 2D map or 3D viewpoint (the little window will switch accordingly). Obviously I prefer having the main view be in 2D and just watch the action in a 3D window (or in the AA case, check the terrain in 3D).

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 45
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/8/2006 4:39:41 AM   
Arjuna

Well personally I would love to have the option to also view in 3D a la Google Earth style. Don't worry Wodin this would be an "option", so you wouldn't be compelled to use it. However, this requires a rewrite of our mapping structures and the graphics engine. Both are BIG jobs. So it won't happen soon unless you guys spread the word to your mates and get them to buy COTA.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Bonxa)
Post #: 46
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/9/2006 6:13:51 PM   
Malakim

quote:

For first time customers ...

quote:

Thank you for your time.

1. I visit Matrixgames.com every now and then, and noticed it in the "Now Playing" section on the front page.
2. Reading the forums, and some conversation with other players there.
3. I knew about HTTR, but I don't really know why I never picked it up. I might get it later, though.
4. Didn't play the demo - but I did wath the HTTR "interactive" demo.
5. RPG's, simulations and strategy/war games are what I mostly play.
6. In addition to COTA, I own Korsun Pocket and Uncommon Valour from Matrix Games.

Best Regards,
Markus Svensson
--
UNIX is user-friendly; it's just picky about its friends!
UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 47
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/12/2006 9:31:04 AM   
ChrisGer

I'm a first time customer of Matrix, so here we go... ;-)

quote:

Discussion on the Wargamer Forums and Usenet (c.s.i.p.g.war-historical).

I don't like turn-based wargames very much and I love WEGO or (non-click-fest) RTS. The realism and OOB of COTA just blew me away... ;-) AAR helps fundamentally in understanding the game and makes one longing for more... *g*

Never heard of them. My bad, I guess. Will probably buy HTTR later on, once I had my go on COTA ;-)

nope.

Wargames, FPS, simulations (SBP! OMG I need this game! *g* )

Nope. Again, my bad. ;-)

And Kudos, COTA has got to be the best (most realistic) wargame I have yet seen! You got me hooked, for sure...

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 48
RE: Questions for first time customers - 7/12/2006 10:22:07 AM   
hlhudson74

(1) Matrix Games Forums

(2) MarkShot's AARs from HTTR and COTA Beta. Re-reading his HTTP AARs and comments convinced me that HTTR was still worth getting.

(3) Just never could pull the trigger. Years of playing SPIs HTTR had saturated my interest in Operation Market Garden. I have more interest in Mediterranean WWII actions and COTA filled the bill. BUT, I also picked up HTTR when I got COTA.

(4) No

(5) Wargames and Simulations

(6) WitP and UV

Henry

(in reply to AlexB)
Post #: 49
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/17/2006 3:12:41 PM   
devoncop

Hi all.

Well as a first time customer of a Panther Game and a relative newcomer to Matrix , the reponses are as follows....

1) Via "The Wargamer" website and Marix Games Forum

2) Reading Reviews and AAR's

3)Not initially aware of them and then less interested in the subject matter

4) No

5) Operational/strategic Historical games and am moving away from more mainstream RTS type games

6)Just WITP (Just?!!!!)

Hope that helps and very best of luck with the company.It is filling a need I think many people have for intelligent gaming.

Cheerd
Ian

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 50
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 7/31/2006 11:01:12 PM   
Hoyt Burrass

Repeat Customer

quote:

Matrix Website

quote:

Purchase of Trial of Strength, Fire Brigade, RDOA & HTTR...It was a high point talking to Dave about Trial of Strength at Origins in 2004.

quote:

But, I had

quote:

Yes, Prior to my purchase of RDOA

quote:

As a constant gnawing hunger...seriously, Wargames and FPS

quote:

Yes, Korsun Pocket, which I do not really like, and HTTR

(in reply to Greup)
Post #: 51
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 8/3/2006 6:34:07 AM   
sapper_astro

(1) How did you become aware of COTA? Saw it here on coming soon section. Read peoples replys and checked out HTTR reviews.

(2) What led to your decision to purchase COTA? The Timeframe of the scenario, where it was set (sick to death of Late West front/East front wargames), and the way the game played with operational command/Wego. Aussie dev too.

(3) Why hadn't you previously purchased RDOA or HTTR? Timeframe. See above. There are 101 different late west front games out and out before.

(4) Prior to the purchase did you try the old RDOA demo that can still be found on the Net for download? No.

(5) How would you characterize your PC gaming interests? Different moods. Sometimes I enjoy a good (not clickfest action) RPG game. Sometimes Warlords type games. On rare occasions an action game (eg: GTA San Andreas) and most of the time, Wargames like the ones sold at Matrix, Battlefront, Paradox,etc.

Yes.

(in reply to Hoyt Burrass)
Post #: 52
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 8/6/2006 9:29:25 PM   
mefi

Recommendation on the Paradox boards from other strategy gamers.

I'd heard very good things about the game and wanted a new strategy title which was at operational level. The review at Armchair General was very good and I respect the opinion of that particular reviewer greatly when it comes to games.

I really wasn't convinced that a real-time engine could offer more than a turn-based model at operational level. I had heard of HTTR but not RDOA.

No. I was unaware of the game's existance.

Strategy and RPG games.

Yes. WitP and UV.

Thoughts on the AAR.

A mini-AAR done for the publisher/developer doesn't really sell the game for me to be honest. I want to know about the AI and how the game plays out from an independant source who have no vested interest in the game.

That said, they are worth doing as they do illustrate gameplay although the pinch of salt required to believe them as actually representing the game faithfully would never be the sole determining factor in purchasing a game. Much as a good review from a non-specialist wargaming site.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 53
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 8/13/2006 12:59:55 AM   
redsolo

Just bought the game, downloaded it and will play it (again, as you will understand).

1) I was browsing all war game sites, to find a new good game. I saw that COTA was similar to HTTR, so thats how I started to get interested into it.

2) I was interested in HTTR but I never bought as there was no demo available for it. I was not going buy COTA/HTTR without playing it. I must play the game myself before handing over 500 KR of my hard earned money for a game that could be a RTS Stratego in new clothes. Lets just say that I found a "demo" of the game on the shady side of the Internet.

3) I could not test it before I bought it. If there had been a demo for HTTR, then I would have played it and most likely bought it. But now I wont buy it as COTA seems to have a few good features that are missing in HTTR. Sorry.

4) I have never heard of RDOA. I never saw that HTTR came from a game named RDOA. I couldnt find the demo, as there was no link (or text) to it.

5) Generic, games that I like: SilentHunterIII, Max Payne2, Operation Flashpoint, Call of duty, Swat 4, Thief serie.

6) No

For promoting the game, I have only ONE suggestion. Make a demo available for it. It could just contain one scenario, a few units but could be playable by both sides. To give newcomers like myself a feeling for the game, how it works, etc. It shouldnt be too hard, size is no longer a problem. Most of the times, I need to get my hands into a game before deciding if I should buy it. There are many crap games (especially WWII RTS) out there, which in my eyes arent worth 40€ (or 10€).
By not having a demo available, people are going to find other ways to get ahold and test it (like I did). Then the chance of getting the money for a game they already have is much lower. Please, I do not consent on piracy, Im a software developer myself, BUT I think most of the times people want to try something out before they buy it. Im not proud of what I did, but it got me to actually buy the game. So, please make a demo available. If it is HTTR, COTA or the next title, wont probably matter as the game mechanics/engine is the same.

But I did like the Virtual tour of HTTR, and missed that COTA didnt have one.

Having media tutorials would be very nice, if they would be made in game. Similar to the virtual tour, but recorded in "real-time". That would really show me why this game is different from the rest. And of course, those tutorials would be nice for newbies such as myself.

I would also suggest that you bring the three games into one site. Now it is not very apparent that COTA is a succesor to HTTR (and RDOA). I think this is more important in the future when you are going to deliver more operations. If there isnt a strong link between the games, they will canabalize on each other.

Making manuals downloadable, would be nice. I can not see any reason for not having them public.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 54
RE: Questions for first time customers - 9/16/2006 6:33:58 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

"CLICK FEST". This game is so far removed from a click fest.
I agree 100%, as a primarily turn-based gamer i was leary back when i bought RDOA at release. HTTR was/is my favorite theater of the war so it was a must buy and the interface was greatly improved.
It is a shame, but i'm sure some people see wargame & rts together and are biased instantly when in reality the AA series can have less "clicks" than a turn-based game. It is a unique product in all respects and the only real-time wargame i really enjoy.
I had not planned on getting COTA at first but after reading the forums about how awesome the new improvements were i just couldn't say no. Of course, everything i read was true: the interface/improvements are really amazing and give the player a much easier time to control as much (or little) of the battle they want. If i could change one thing i would like to have the option to have the game automatically pause at certain adjustable time increments as it is easy to get swept up in the action before realizing you should have reacted/changed orders sooner.
Excellent ai and many paths to victory...with practice.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 55
RE: Questions for first time customers - 9/16/2006 6:58:27 AM   
MarkShot

TheHellPatrol

Actually, you could use the RunUntil option to pause say every 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or whatever ...

Look for it next to the >>> button for max speed execution.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 56
RE: Questions for first time customers - 9/16/2006 7:23:42 PM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

TheHellPatrol

Actually, you could use the RunUntil option to pause say every 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or whatever ...

Look for it next to the >>> button for max speed execution.

Really? Awesome...thanks. I just assumed it was like the DB series and "RunUntil" next combat only. That made my day...thanks again!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 57
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 10/11/2006 11:34:01 PM   
save

Had Httr

httr was a good ga,e
I did :)
NO
realism games , realism sim - my type of games
httr

(in reply to Greup)
Post #: 58
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 10/12/2006 12:50:23 AM   
piotre

A: Through a review on The Wargamer site.

A: Description of the unique play system in the review, AARs and tutorials on this forum.

A: I wasn't aware of them.

A: No.

A: I'm mostly into flight simulation (civil and military), some FPS, strategy ans simulation games are my favs (I used to be a boardgamer).

A: No.

Cheers,
Pietro.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 59
RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers - 10/16/2006 9:17:25 PM   
Sturmovik

Hi all, first post for a fist timer of the AA serie

(1) Going through Matrix Games' website after having bought Harpoon 3 ANW
(2) The descriptions on the official website were tasty and the Mini-guide got me completely hooked

(3) Hadn't heard about it

(4) no

(5) eclectic! from World of Warcraft to Harpoon3 going through Battlefield2 or the Close Combat series

(6) yes

quote:

Would a more polished AAR have been more effective at promoting the game?

The mini-guides AAR were good enough for me! Especially the Beta-tester musing and the quotes of community discussions, because that was real stuff not just some marketing vague rubbish.

quote:

Another thing we have discussed in terms of promoting products is the use of 3-5 minute multi-media tutorials illustrating some of the basic aspects of the game: giving orders, micro/macro-managing, following the action, ... What do you think of that idea?

Why not

Finally thanks for this great game! Even though I'm still on the learning curve I already know it's the best PC wargame I ever played. I think we can even compare it with the best of the tabletop wargames.
And please don't go 3D! the look and feel with the tactical map is so much closer to the reality of a commanding officer and so much more analysis-friendly that it would be a shame to have to watch ragg-dolls running around pretending they are soldiers

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> RE: Questions for first time and repeat customers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI