Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Harpoon Upgrade offer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon Upgrade offer Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/14/2006 11:56:26 PM   
HercMighty

So the longer you have been a loyal Harpoon player the worse you get rewarded?

Odd.
Post #: 1
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/14/2006 11:59:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

Herc,

Actually, that's an odd way of looking at it. Typically, upgrades are offered to customers who purchased the old version recently enough that they won't have gotten their purchase value out of it yet. If you've had Harpoon 3 for a good long time, you still get a $15 discount. If you just bought it within the last month, you get $35.

I think offering a $15 discount to folks who may have bought Harpoon 3 a year ago or more is a pretty good deal, especially when you consider that it wasn't Matrix that sold you that copy.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 2
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 12:39:09 AM   
elcidce

I own an old version of Harpoon 3. I have owned it for almost a year. At the time I bought it the multiplayer patch was supposed to be due any day and I was looking forward to trying it. If you would like to keep the older customers happy maybe something should have been announced at the time that Matrix agreed to publish the new version about an upgrade and that the patch was no longer free. I understand the decision that was made and dont deny the right to earn what the games worth but I think it could have been handled better from a consumers standpoint. Im a little surprised since I asked about an upgrade a few weeks ago and was told that it wasnt going to be done. I am still going to purchase the game with the upgrade of course.

I have enjoyed quite a few of matrix games and will continue to be a customer, but I had to vent a little.

Are the links working for the upgrade yet? If not please make an announcement when it has been fixed. Thanks

< Message edited by elcidce -- 6/15/2006 12:42:59 AM >

The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 1:42:03 AM   
HercMighty

So how are we supposed to get it if we only have LOK\KEE files?

(in reply to elcidce)
Post #: 4
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 1:43:14 AM   
uncleharpoon

Howdy,

To the best of my memory we never offered a free upgrade between major versions after we brought this product back from the dead. We have a policy of free UPDATES. Basically we need to charge for 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 but we don't charge for 3.7.1, 3.7.2.

We have tried very hard to be up front with folks and as AGSI and Matrix nailed details down on Harpoon. We tried to communicate hard decisions when made (but some of those were not made until this week). We were very open about beta testing and the forthcoming availability from Matrix - but we weren't sure when this would happen. Frankly, my wife thinks this should have been done a year ago. Come to think of it - I probably should put her name (and my kids' names) in the credits for putting up with the time and money we've sunk into this!

But back to your concerns... I believe that our Team AGSI was consistent in stating that Matrix would set final pricing and that any prices we quoted were our guess. After about May 6, when Matrix announced shipping was imminent, we did give a specific price as our best guess. When Matrix sat down and figured out what the pricing was going to be we worked with them to secure:

1. A lower price point for the new product.
2. A discount for existing AGSI customers.
3. A different discount that honors the incorrect price quoted (with disclaimer btw) for those who purchased after May 1. Just don't tell my wife ok?

We thank you very much for your ongoing support. It's your contribution to the Legacy of Harpoon

V/R

(in reply to elcidce)
Post #: 5
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 1:48:02 AM   
uncleharpoon

Upgrade information for Spearsoft/AGSI customers is here:

http://mediawiki.advancedgaming.biz/index.php/H3ANW_UPGRADE

(in reply to uncleharpoon)
Post #: 6
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 1:49:17 AM   
HercMighty

But that only talks about:

Enter your email address and eSellerate order number or your eSellerate serial number in the appropriate section

I never had one of those.

Post #: 7
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 1:55:17 AM   
David Heath

Hi Herc Mighty

The upgrade is only for customers with eSellerate serial numbers. So if you never had them it does not apply to you.

David

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 8
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 2:45:33 AM   
thewood1

There is no link to the discount coupon...Am I missing it somewhere. The link on that page takes me to a generic ANW page.

Post #: 9
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 2:51:01 AM   
Erik Rutins

The upgrade links should show up tomorrow or Friday.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 10
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 3:04:08 AM   
thewood1

The release seems a little premature doesn't it?

Post #: 11
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 3:15:43 AM   
WayneBGood

I remember that AGSW offered holders such as myself a e-sell number if we had the lok kee kind of file. The problem was that you couldn't obtain that e-seller number. Now as those loyal customers who orginially purchased H3 from Jesse Spears, we're being told that you can't obtain the upgrade at the dicount price? That's a hell of a blow for customer loyalty.
Wayne

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 12
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 3:25:33 AM   
HercMighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Badcat

I remember that AGSW offered holders such as myself a e-sell number if we had the lok kee kind of file. The problem was that you couldn't obtain that e-seller number. Now as those loyal customers who orginially purchased H3 from Jesse Spears, we're being told that you can't obtain the upgrade at the dicount price? That's a hell of a blow for customer loyalty.
Wayne

Yup, now they not only get my money for this game but any future versions. There was also problems with the E-Seller number that I stayed away from it.

(in reply to WayneBGood)
Post #: 13
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 3:29:52 AM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: HercMighty

There was also problems with the E-Seller number that I stayed away from it.

Me, too.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 14
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 3:43:29 AM   
Erik Rutins

Gentlemen,

We're going to discuss these different number concerns with AGSI, thanks for bringing them up. However, I don't see H3ANW as an "upgrade" though we are offering a discount for past customers. The main goal of the discount was to help those who had recently purchased a version of H3 so if it helps in that regard, it's working. I believe the older numbers (Lok-Kee) already received a free upgrade some time ago, but we will discuss it further with AGSI.

H3ANW is a significant new release and coming through Matrix rather than directly from AGSI. We do feel that it's worth the full release price especially for customers who last purchased Harpoon over a year ago.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 15
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 3:45:11 AM   
HercMighty

Who said anything about for free, I like many other users have spent money on this game to keep it alive. Now I am being asked to spend $50 on a game that I only really want for the Bug Fixes.
Post #: 16
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 7:24:26 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

The release seems a little premature doesn't it?

It's your typical "can't win" scenario. Everyone wants the news games released NOW, but then someone complains because everything isn't perfect in the original release

I sympathize Erik!

Perhaps though, as a thought for the future, you might consider doing "early" direct download releases with a cautionary warning "does not include all content - free upgrade when available". This would please the "must have it now" crowd while warning away those who expect a finished game when they buy it. It would also give you a chance to get some quick reaction feedback from the enthusiasts before locking down the final download and boxed version.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 17
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 7:45:25 AM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Gentlemen,

We're going to discuss these different number concerns with AGSI, thanks for bringing them up. However, I don't see H3ANW as an "upgrade" though we are offering a discount for past customers. The main goal of the discount was to help those who had recently purchased a version of H3 so if it helps in that regard, it's working. I believe the older numbers (Lok-Kee) already received a free upgrade some time ago, but we will discuss it further with AGSI.

H3ANW is a significant new release and coming through Matrix rather than directly from AGSI. We do feel that it's worth the full release price especially for customers who last purchased Harpoon over a year ago.

Due respect to all concern, but your right it's not an upgrade, because the game still has issues that have not been addressed since the orginal 360 release of H2 for example the logistics bug, now I know Matrix has only recently aquired the franchise, but correct me if I'm wrong the original developers are still involved with the product. I've bought just about every item released for the computer harpoon. I feel $65 aus is just a bit too rich for this latest version. The changes don't justify the cost even with the $15 US discount.

Formerly Goodwood

Post #: 18
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 10:02:04 AM   
Geneo

While I'm not yet sure if I will purchase the latest reiteration of Harpoon, I did get my eSellerate from the eSellerate website just in case. According to the email I received from eSellerate, I bought H3 from SpearSoft way back in 2003. It was as simple as punching in my email address and my order history came up in less than 5 minutes. Since my purchase, I believe I got my value from my purchase many times over through the hours spent playing H3. Being offered a discount for something I bought many years ago, and from a different publisher, to me is a class act.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 19
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 1:54:59 PM   
thewood1

How many companies do we complain about releasing product prematurely. Matrix had the opportunity over the time spent in development to fix some of the most glaring bugs and offer up a shining final product. Instead what we get is very close to complete, but looking at the history of how many iterations some people in the Harpoon communty have paid money for, there was an expectation that for $50, we would get all the perks we were used to and all the bugs squashed.

I think it would have been better to wait a month, get the AGSI website fixed, get the DB editor ready, and fix the bugs people have been compaining about for years.

I have no problem spending $50 for future support, but the release process should have a LOT clearer and there was almost no pressure to release right now. Some where communication broke down between Matrix and AGSI. Why make the most loyal customers wait a couple of days for the discount? Why have a blank readme listed on the AGSI website? Why have conflicting messages on the DB editor? Why tell people to go spend $50 and then not be ready.

If this were a true upgrade, no reason to complain. For $50, the expectation is that the product is ready, the documentation is ready, and the companies are ready.

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 6/15/2006 2:12:14 PM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 20
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 3:53:06 PM   
JudgeDredd

I don't get what the bitching is about...but I haven't been following Harpoon for as long as some people.

I bought Harpoon way back when (I can't remember whether it was Windows or Dos version, tbh)...but what is the whinging about?

Is the whinging about the documentation?
Is the whinging about broken links?
Is the whinging about a product which has not been upgraded "enough"?

Buy it or not? Your choice. FFS - no-one is holding a gun to your head...deal with it.

You know, there are EA customers (of which I am one) all over the world paying full price for updates. Ask them if there latest Madden NFL 2005 or NHL 2005 was worth the price tag. Same applies to them...buy it or don't. Either way your hand is not being forced. You can use the same game you've got now and wait for the next installment and then whinge about that.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 21
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 4:06:02 PM   
thewood1

I'll reply in a manner much more civil than your comments:

You don't discover most of this until after you buy the game. Next time please read through the thread a little more carefully before thowing out comments like "Deal with it".

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 22
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 4:35:14 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I'll reply in a manner much more civil than your comments:

You don't discover most of this until after you buy the game. Next time please read through the thread a little more carefully before thowing out comments like "Deal with it".

Look pal...buy it or don't - end of.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 23
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 4:56:42 PM   
thewood1

I was actually one of the first. I have no complaint on the $50. The complaint is that they company just wasn't ready to release the product. I think spending $50, and several hundred more than that over the years gives one a right to say that this isn't all its cracked up to be.

I understand the need to make money and have no issue with that. As my purchase shows. It is just a little annoying that someone who hasn't purchased the game jumps in with some fairly rude comments.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/15/2006 5:33:24 PM   
JudgeDredd

They were not meant to be rude ...simply to the point.

I completely understand paying money for something and not getting what you think you deserve...I mentioned EA products for a reason...I am one of those customers. Every year they release a new Madden and every year from 1998 I have bought it and then sat wondering why I do it...but I do it because
a) they are the only company to produce a 3D American football game
b) they make "just enough" changes to tempt me over to the dark side

I read the posts here and wondered why people were moaning about why some people were being offered a discount and others not.

EA has, to my knowledge, never offered me a discount on any game they have updated. Nor would any sensible developer. I completely see Erics point in that the people that have had the game for many years have had that time to get their moneys worth and then some. The people who just bought the previous version in the last 6 months or so may feel a tad ripped off...and were therefore offered a discount. I bought it years ago...I'm not looking for a discount and, bugs and all, I had a blast with it...so consider it money well spent and I will probably get this one.

So I am kind of with you...but my point still stands. They are charging $50 because they are charging that. They have made the changes they have made. They have committed (from what I have seen) to a DB editor in July/August. They are comitted to takling the game further.

At the end of the day, no matter how you look at it or how you want to take it, that is the way it is. I can't stop you expressing your opinion, nor would I want to.

On top of the bazillion dollars you have already spent on this franchise, you continue to support it by buying it again...but at the end of the day, people have a choice.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 25
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/16/2006 8:28:29 PM   
JRyan

Well I think $50 for this game is CHEAP. For the amount of hours I have played it and will CONTINUE to play it, that is a very FAIR price. In all actuality, its less than I would have expected.

I have bought almost EVERY version of Harpoon, actually I collect them now, paper and computer. Thats just me though.

I would like to add some comments here. The Harpoon Community spent many of hours of 'free' time gladly testing, identifing bugs, checking errors, and many other hours trying to make the game the best of its kind availiable. I firmly believe that it is.
For those of you who have played H2 or H3 to this point, H3ANW IS a whole new era for pooning. This now has a working multiplayer. That alone makes it worth every penny in my mind. I was on the test crew when the very first round of MP worked. It was that human factor that gave me the chance to even compete against the guru's. It was amazing! I had waited 10 years for it! NOTE: I still lost.....I didnt get my steak but got a little hamburger :)

Although the graphics havent changed, the AI, DB's, and MP make this a whole new version to me. The extras such as the launcher make it that much better. How often do the old players remember editing that darn ini file? Thats pretty much gone now.

I for one want to thank AGSI and Matrix for sticking with the Pooners and giving us what we so desired, the ability to play against the armchair admirals of the world.

Ethan Atsinger

PS

And to think that MP works along with NUKES! Oh Yeah!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 26
RE: Harpoon Upgrade offer - 6/18/2006 3:35:48 PM   
ess1

This thread got me to load up H3 copyright: 2002 AGSI, developed by Spearsoft.
I emailed the .lok file and discover that the address is no longer valid...

From reading the "upgrade info" I presume that I have the 3.6 version; now er..'locked'.

Looks like I have to purchase the Matrix version. How does this differ from my supposed v. 3.6?

(in reply to elcidce)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon Upgrade offer Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI