Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years - 6/18/2006 9:18:59 AM   
looneyluden

Has anyone noticed on fictional leagues that pitchers stats begin to overwhelm batting stats within five years of simming. I have been trying to start a fictional league, and have stadiums, logos, cities, and team names hammered out. The set up is 14 teams, one league, two divisions of seven teams each. Next I sim quick sim through the first five seasons to build a little history to the league before I would take over and manage a team. The first thing I do after five seasons of quick-simming is done is a quick check on stats from year to year to see if they are reasonable and semi steady. But there seems to be a problem with pitching beginning to dominate by the end of the third year, and it continues on this trend after that.

I have tried a few different financial set-ups to see if it was just that my cities financials were set too low, and maybe they were focusing only on pitching when funds were limited. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I tried low financials for all cities, medium, and pretty much unlimited financials for all cities. All leagues had the same results by the 3,4, and 5'th seasons. Then I tried a fictional league set up the same, but this time with no financials at all. This resulted in almost identical situation.

The stats break down something like this. League ERA starts out in the first two seasons somewhere around 4.50, which I think is perfect. But after that it drops consistenty each season to where by the 5'th or 6'th season the league average is about 3.60. Runs scored, HR's, RBI's, etc...all drop from the 3'rd season on, and it is a dramatic drop. I checked comparisons to real MLB and the results I get by the 4,5, and 6 season in Puresim never get that low offensively in MLB ever.

Has anyone seen this, and if so, does anyone have any ideas on how to correct it? I tried messing with the advanced simulation options to make certain offensive categories occur more frequenlty, such as HR's and hits. That seems to slow down the dominance of pitching, but I have no idea what i would need to change it season after season to maintain semi realistic stats.

This is a great game and I have had a lot of fun with it my first few days since i bought it. But now I am getting ready to start a permanent league for myself and want to get the most resemblance of real baseball possible. Thanks in advance for any help.
Post #: 1
RE: Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years - 6/18/2006 9:38:04 AM   
Claymore Cut

What year are you starting your league in?

(in reply to looneyluden)
Post #: 2
RE: Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years - 6/18/2006 7:03:53 PM   
looneyluden

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymore Cut

What year are you starting your league in?

I started all of the leagues in the year 2000. Also it is the patched version 1.1.

(in reply to Claymore Cut)
Post #: 3
RE: Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years - 6/18/2006 7:44:14 PM   
looneyluden

Here is some specific examples on stats:

These are league totals based on a 14 team league.

YEAR 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004
-----------------------------------------------------------
HR 1994 1951 1888 1766 1592
WALKS 8603 7676 7623 7249 7148
RUNS 10165 9648 9558 8814 8590
ERA 4.28 4.06 4.00 3.67 3.58

Those stats results are pretty much the same for all three leagues I ran with financials set to different amounts.

Next I ran a similar league, but this time without financials at all. Stats followed the same pattern, but at a slightly slower rate.

YEAR 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERA 4.47 4.43 4.15 4.22 4.10 4.02 3.87

Post #: 4
RE: Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years - 6/18/2006 8:47:39 PM   
Cringer

Just had a thought about this, not sure if it will do anything at all but worth a shot...

I almost suggested earlier that you try to upgrade to the beta patch 1.16 (before 1.17 was released). Now I will say you should get beta patch 1.17.

After looking through the GM/Managerial Tendencies thread I thought maybe this is having a bit of an effect. You are using 1.1 still, before the computer teams adjusted the tendencies on their own. Upgrade, give it a try, and see if it changes anything.

Post #: 5
RE: Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years - 6/19/2006 2:04:58 AM   
looneyluden

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cringer

Just had a thought about this, not sure if it will do anything at all but worth a shot...

I almost suggested earlier that you try to upgrade to the beta patch 1.16 (before 1.17 was released). Now I will say you should get beta patch 1.17.

After looking through the GM/Managerial Tendencies thread I thought maybe this is having a bit of an effect. You are using 1.1 still, before the computer teams adjusted the tendencies on their own. Upgrade, give it a try, and see if it changes anything.

Thanks for the suggestion; but unfortunately, it didn't help. Now I am adjusting the sliders each season to give more homeruns/bb's/hits. This is helping keep stats about where they should be for a season. But it is total guess work.

I may try a different sized league sometime and see if that changes things. But so far I have seen this in every fictional league I have tried. I am surprised to see that no one else is experiencing this.

(in reply to Cringer)
Post #: 6
RE: Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years - 6/19/2006 2:31:26 AM   
Cringer

I have been playing in the early 1900's so far, so I can't go off of what today's stats should be.

How long have you let a career go? You have mentioned 5 years, how about 10? Do you see it level off? Swing back up? Get even worse the longer it goes?

Post #: 7
RE: Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years - 6/19/2006 9:54:10 PM   
Amaroq

looney - one thing PureSim has is a 'trends' modelling approach. In other words, it is quite possible to see a league 'skew' towards hitting or towards pitching. Normally, that sort of effect is fairly minor, and takes longer than 5 years to come into play - but I remember an entertaining 'story hour' story from somebody whose league had gone far enough that the league leading batting average was like .290 or so, and an ERA of 3.50 indicated a pretty poor pitcher.

You say you're seeing this repeatedly on different leagues, so perhaps it isn't that - but its not something I've been noticing in my associations, and Shaun is pretty good about running long unattended auto-plays frequently to ensure that the numbers generated for league totals are still pretty much 'spot on'.

(in reply to Cringer)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Pitchers begin to dominate within 5 years Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI