Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

some quick questions (helos, bridges, arty)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> some quick questions (helos, bridges, arty) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
some quick questions (helos, bridges, arty) - 6/18/2006 11:43:08 AM   
Arno 2

Hi guys

I'm not a military expert, so I apologize for some "dumb" questions:

the first one is mainly for me understanding the situation: in the scenario southern germany 1990 on the russian side I have these helicopters capable of firing over distances of 40 hexes... what I don't understand is how they can have losses when attacking someone (tanks in this case) over that distance. There are no allied air assets I can see, so whats killing my troops??? (am I right to assume that the helos stay where they are and they just fire their rockets over that distance?)

next one concerns the helos as well: these same guys can fire over fourty hexes but can only fly 5 hexes?? I'd just like to understand why ;) (my mobile airbourne guys can fly about 40-50 hexes... so whats the big difference?

the next one concerns destroyed bridges: as a defender I assume it's a good idea to destroy bridges to be able to defend the hex better?! in this case where should I put my troops? a) on the hex where the bridge is located or b) on the hex behind it?

another one concerning mobile airbourne troops: is there a way to synchronize attacks on hexes? I wanted to attack a hex with normal ground forces and send in my special forces on the helos to support the attack. Is this possible (when I send my helos in they always resolve the fight right on the spot and either win or get killed completely without help from surrounding units...)

seems I forgot my arty question while writing so "I'll be back" ;-)

thanks for the help,
Arno
Post #: 1
RE: some quick questions (helos, bridges, arty) - 6/18/2006 3:56:28 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arno 2

the first one is mainly for me understanding the situation: in the scenario southern germany 1990 on the russian side I have these helicopters capable of firing over distances of 40 hexes... what I don't understand is how they can have losses when attacking someone (tanks in this case) over that distance. There are no allied air assets I can see, so whats killing my troops??? (am I right to assume that the helos stay where they are and they just fire their rockets over that distance?)

The helicopters are assumed to move those forty hexes and attack at (relatively) close range. Losses will be from a combination of enemy airpower (even if you can't see them, I'm sure NATO has plenty of air units- check the air briefing) and ground based AA weapons.

quote:

next one concerns the helos as well: these same guys can fire over fourty hexes but can only fly 5 hexes??

Five hexes would be the rebasing distance in one turn. What's the turn length in the scenario?

quote:

the next one concerns destroyed bridges: as a defender I assume it's a good idea to destroy bridges to be able to defend the hex better?! in this case where should I put my troops? a) on the hex where the bridge is located or b) on the hex behind it?

Behind it. Destroyed bridges don't affect combat but they do affect movement and supply: the enemy units will have a harder time entering these hexes, and if they advance past them then they will receive less supply on the far side until the bridge is fixed.

You should generally defend behind rivers, since units attacking from a river hex suffer a penalty to reflect the difficulty of crossing.

quote:

another one concerning mobile airbourne troops: is there a way to synchronize attacks on hexes? I wanted to attack a hex with normal ground forces and send in my special forces on the helos to support the attack. Is this possible (when I send my helos in they always resolve the fight right on the spot and either win or get killed completely without help from surrounding units...)

What you want can't specifically be done in TOAW. I suggest you try landing your airborne or airmobile units behind the enemy unit and have them participate in an attack in the usual way. The rear attack bonus you get will reflect the problems the enemy suffers when your forces suddenly appear in the middle of their defences.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 6/18/2006 3:57:31 PM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Arno 2)
Post #: 2
RE: some quick questions (helos, bridges, arty) - 6/18/2006 5:35:29 PM   
Arno 2

thank you very much for the good advice!
as to the airmobile units I thought it would be cool to attack from all sides and additionally from on top ;) turned out that only my airmobile units attacked and got chewed up pretty bad

thanks again for the fast (and very helpful) answers

take care
Arno

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> some quick questions (helos, bridges, arty) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI