Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Guns do not fire all ammo when ordered to do so

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Guns do not fire all ammo when ordered to do so Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guns do not fire all ammo when ordered to do so - 6/25/2006 1:16:27 AM   
hermanhum

Guns do not fire all ammo when ordered to do so

Guns do not fire all ammo available when ordered to do so;
also, targets cannot be re-engaged;
also, engagement level varies

• Play test scen in GE
  • Attack the runway with 127mm guns. Use ONLY one mount and allocate all 255 units of ammo
  • Only a small amount of ammo is expended to knock the runway down to STOL and player is not allowed to fire more
  • If the 406mm guns are used, the runway can be knocked down to [VTOL / Large Helo capable]
  • As the runway is being repaired (i.e. recovers to Small a/C capability), the player is not able to knock it down again. If he tries to continue firing with the partially depleted mount, it will not fire.

Sample file has been attached for ODb.

at StrategyZoneOnline

Post #: 1
RE: Guns do not fire all ammo when ordered to do so - 6/25/2006 7:29:06 AM   
hermanhum

Just ran the test scen AGAIN with ODb and SE. Am I using the wrong ODb? I am attaching a screen shot of my ODb directory. Is it out of date or incorrect?

I have looked in the DB editor and the 127mm AP round is effective against: fWeapon_Targets fWeapon_Targets Code Surface Vessel Land Structure Hardened Structure Hardened Target
If I am using the wrong version of the ODb, let me know. Otherwise, run the file and see for yourself.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hermanhum -- 6/25/2006 7:30:44 AM >

Post #: 2
RE: Guns do not fire all ammo when ordered to do so - 6/25/2006 2:11:57 PM   
destruya

Wouldn't this also be a rate of fire issue as well?  I know when I've done one of my fuel-tank strafing runs, occasionally I've needed to make more than one pass to empty the cannon.

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 3
RE: Guns do not fire all ammo when ordered to do so - 6/25/2006 2:25:41 PM   
hermanhum

It's really good to see someone else come in with a new perspective.  Why don't you grab the test file and see for yourself?  There is nothing fancy to it.

I don't think that it is an ROF issue.  When you did your strafing run, the Weapons Allocation box allowed you to allocate all of your 'shots' even if they took a few runs to fire.  However, the problem I have identified is that only 44 of the 300 'shots' have been made available to you.

Glad to see you are taking an interest.

(in reply to destruya)
Post #: 4
RE: Guns do not fire all ammo when ordered to do so - 6/25/2006 11:06:58 PM   
jpkoester1

Most ammunition in the game cannot totally destroy runways. Some can damage it however.

Let's say you have a 12.000 foot runway at the start of the engagement. This can be knocked down to STOL/helicopter by damaging it with naval guns, however, the runway will not be removed from the map. All ammunition that cannot totally destroy a runway (most ammunition excluding nukes) will stop firing at this point because it cannot inflict more damage than it has already done.

Now as soon as you stop firing the repair crews will move out and start repairing the runway. As soon as it reaches anything above STOL/helicopter capability you will be able to once again cut it down to that.

This means that guns stopping to fire when a certain amount of damage has been done to runways prevents you (and especially the AI) from wasting munition that won't be able to do more than it has already done. Instead of a bug this is a feature that works as intended.

Now if you really want to destroy that runway so it can't even support helicopters/STOLyou'll have to use nukes or weapons flagged as capable of destroying runways in the DB.

Cheers,
JP

"I cna tyep 300 wodrs per minuet"

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 5
RE: Guns do not fire all ammo when ordered to do so - 6/25/2006 11:25:41 PM   
hermanhum

The total destruction of the runway is not in question.

The problem, again, is:

1) The 406mm guns can knock it down to Large Helo capable, but the 127mm guns stop firing when it is still capable of STOL.  I can understand that the firing will stop at a certain point in order to conserve ammunition, but the point at which this stops is the issue in doubt.  IMO, the 127mm guns should fire until the runway is down to the minimal level: Large Helo only.

2) As the runway recovers to say, Small / Med aircraft capability, the 127mm mount that you previously fired at the runway WILL NOT FIRE.  You can fire other mounts, but the one you already fired will not be allowed to fire even though it appears in the Allocation window.

(in reply to jpkoester1)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Guns do not fire all ammo when ordered to do so Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI