Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wishlist (cont'd)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> RE: Wishlist (cont'd) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 2/21/2007 10:43:51 PM   
MarkShot

Hmm ... I never noticed that.

What I have wanted for the last five years is RTS style assigning a hot key to a force or a map location. But so far, my wish isn't even on the back burner; not even a TT number. Snivel, snivel ... Oh, well.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to kilowatts)
Post #: 91
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/6/2007 12:14:26 AM   
Vance

I often find myself using my thumb and little finger for estimating range rings at another location than the location the unit is curently in. So I got the brilliant idea of using the LOS tool for measuring distances, but counting the black bars is a little clumsy.

So I thought this was a great item for the whish list. Fortunately before asking, I searched the forum and it turns out it is already in:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

TT2977 - UI - Add range to the LOS tool

And

quote:

<snip>
I still think that for BFTB we'll try and add in a text number every kilometer, just to make it easier.

Why not display the range as numbers at the cursor position, like "TLOS" for the threads tool? (The answer will probablly be that "TLOS" is a bitmap and not free text) Or display the range in a box in the toolbar?

(in reply to Analog Kid)
Post #: 92
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/17/2007 6:53:09 AM   
gazrang

My wish is the addition of the 'reverse cycling' by using right-click on display toolbar buttons.

On other buttons, reverse cycling is very convenient to me when battle is on rush.

(in reply to Vance)
Post #: 93
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/22/2007 1:05:49 AM   
Doobious

I like a few of the ideas so far...

Someone mentioned in another thread about having a small picture show up when you select a particular unit. An image that is represenative of what that unit is/the units main equipment that would give us a good idea about the unit. As I recall they even made a little mock-up of it. I really liked that idea. Combine that with a display of the information that is available in the senario editor being available in-game, and I think that would make a huge difference.

The idea of draging the units around in the OB screen to organize units is a GREAT idea! Very intuitave method of organizing units IMHO. (I actually tried to do this a couple times when I first started playing, only to discover that it didn't work )

What about some audio cues for when certain messages arrive. I seem to miss messages alot when the action is going. For instance, when reinforcements arrive, a nationality specific voiceover telling us that reinforcements have arrived, along with the text message. If it is Greek troops, then a guy with a thick Greek accent tells me that Greek reinforcements have arrived. This would work for artillery barrages ending, supplies arriving, when an enemy/friendly unit is eliminated, and maybe when troops retreat or are routed. Some of them could be humorous too.

Anything that adds more immersion to the game is good!

What about giving different units their own sound effects (based on unit type, not each individual unit in the editor). The effects do this a little, but more unique effects to give a clearer audio que to what exactly is firing. You might not know where the tank brigade is, but you can sure hear it! Infantry units attacking sounds like small arms fire, tanks attack and you get mg fire and main guns firing, motorcycle units sound like reving 'cycle engines and small arms fire, AT guns sound like, well, AT guns, etc... and this could be modable in the senario editor with the ability to add your own sounds.

Any possibility of a campaign mode where we can take units from senario to senario, and they progress in experience as the campaign moves along?

I love Tomus' idea about the LOS/terrain graph showing the lay of the land. Combine this with elevation/grade lines on the map and the range indicator in the LOS tool and that would be a huge improvement.

We have normal and small unit icons, what about ones that are 150% larger than the normal ones? Maybe with more unit info on the icon and larger text? I am running this on a large LCD monitor and sometimes the normal icons seem small.

Great game. Can't wait for the Bulge!

< Message edited by Doobious -- 3/22/2007 2:44:13 AM >

(in reply to gazrang)
Post #: 94
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/24/2007 7:27:13 AM   
Archy

Is it possible to get maps that are at least 10x bigger ? i find scenarios to be too short even 6 days ones. I would like to play whole campaigns, manage my units and bring them to the front, releive others, It would be great. Low ammo warnings/estimations. Redesign of air support, add some air supply, air reinforcements, new airwar system where you need to send recon/fighters/bombers instead of 'airstrikes'. Ability to entranch/fortificate faster with engineer units. Im both always micro and macro managing and love it so much , i love how your AI does it's thing , it's just neat and responds mostly to what you order them. I know that more units tend to make calculation harder so perhaps if bigger maps came maybe adapt it to higher numbers.

This game really brings it to another level by removing hex wich i never liked at all and always turned me off. I would like this kind of game engine used to make it more of a rts approach. Unfortunatly this game is too non graphical and complex for 99.9% of the crowd and will never appeal to mass market. It's very hard to find someone to play in mp with.

S!
Nicolas "Archy" Menard

(in reply to Doobious)
Post #: 95
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 5/13/2007 11:20:42 AM   
lian

I agree with Doobious: small picture of a unit when selecting it would be nice (I loved the photos in Close Combat 5 when you select your units before beginning the fight. It was just a little picture but you saw the kind of unit you get) and much "realistic" sounds.
It's very frustrating to read that a unit has surrended and you don't know where it happened (I'm so a great general that units prefer to surrender rather than fight when I'm on the field ): you have to search all over the field for the little cross.
And other thing is the Info Box. I prefer to get the combat power and it would be nice we can get two informations at the same time (like strengh+Combat power. You can get a good combat power and not notice at first sight the unit has great losses).
Well, it's only some wishes, I don't know if it's hard to do, if it's very usefull for most players.
Thank you for your job. I'm taking pleasure with the game (my 14 old son cannot imagine I play this kind of games) and it's the more important.

(in reply to Archy)
Post #: 96
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 11/16/2007 10:09:57 AM   
FredSanford3

Here's a big wish: Being able to back-patch AA, HttR, & CotA with all the neato features like mines that will be in BftB.  A 'master estab' and scenario/map editor to go with, as long as we're dreaming...Bundle it all as a "Gold Edition" like other pubs...

(in reply to kilowatts)
Post #: 97
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 11/18/2007 12:54:31 AM   
Arjuna

Well we will be including the original HTTR estabs in BFTB so users will be able to redesign the HTTR scenarios and play them in BFTB. We won't be including the COTA estabs though.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 98
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 11/22/2007 2:52:11 AM   
FredSanford3

But wouldn't it be fun to run some King Tigers through a 1940-41 era 1st UK Armd Bde equipped with A10's?

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 99
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 11/25/2007 9:25:37 PM   
FredSanford3

How about Counter-battery artillery fire as a possible Order/Task?

Also, is aerial recon considered in spotting (still thinking along the conter-battery lines)?

Post #: 100
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 11/26/2007 2:53:58 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

How about Counter-battery artillery fire as a possible Order/Task?

Also, is aerial recon considered in spotting (still thinking along the conter-battery lines)?

If you leave your artilery under AI fire control Counter Battery becomes one of it's highest priorities. AI controlled artillery seems to prioritize artillery/guns, HQs and bases. I almost never take fire control of artillery. The degree of micromanagement necessary to keep all tubes firing efficiently detracts too much from keeping up with everything else, especially in very large scenarios.

Post #: 101
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/24/2008 5:11:00 PM   
Mehring

Here are two things which I think would enormously improve the system.

1. To market primarily the engine rather than the setting. Whatever scenarios could be bundled with the engine, but if you could buy the scenarios as add on mods for the latest engine, I for one would be playing HTTR as well as CotA and the Bulge scenarios. If you look at many of the most long lived game systems, in one way or another they use this. Three examples-

ASL (and its Platoon Leader and ATS spawn) has a rulebook which is continually updated but the scenarios are never obsolete, you just play them with the updated rules.

The Close Combat series went through five engine improvements. The historical contexts of three out of four editions were unofficially adapted for the fifth, on top of all the other mods and tweeks. It's dying now because the newest 6th engine is too closely identified with a contemporary war which inspires almost universal loathing, while the demands of modders for ever increasing historical accuracy reveals the inadequacy of the fifth engine.

IL-2 Sturmovik has been continually updated and there are an untold number of add ons, free and for purchase, to extend the range of theatres and times you can play. Only after many years does is the original engine due for a complete overhaul with a Battle of Britain game.

2. The ability to deploy your forces as you see fit, if within certain parameters, would greatly increase the longevity of the scenarios. They would become less predictable. This could be defender first, simultaneous setup or whatever. For paradrops it would be good to allocate forces to drop zones and then let the engine determine, based on historical conditions, whether they actually land there, and if not, where.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 102
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/25/2008 1:44:35 AM   
Arjuna

Mehring,

Both good points.

Re Updated Scenario Packs. First off, it takes considerable resources to update a previous scenario set to work with an updated engine. Adding new features often requires additional data to be added or modified and can also affect play balance. Mods to the Estabs can require significant testing and tweaking. Eg. The new resupply system added to COTA required the creation of new supply units, SEPs and off-map supply schedules. All airborne bases needed to be overhauled to provide them with sufficient transport capacity, even if that meant man-packs. So updating the HTTR scenarios was never going to be a quick or cheap option.

However, I do agree that the concept is a good one and we'll look into it, seriously. No promisses, but it is something we have been giving thought to.

Re. Pre-start free deployment. Another good idea but one that requires a significant investment of development time, especially into the user interface. This would require the creation and implementation of a special "setup" phase at the start of a game. It would also require the UI functionality to drag forces, presumably within some constrained deployment zone(s). The ScenMaker would need to be modified so that the deployment zones could be created and that units placed on the map have a tag that links them to a particular zone. Similarly reinforcements would need to be linked in the SM and then a UI ability to drag them from the Reinforcement tab to the respective zone on the map. The UI would need to be modified so that it could prevent the dragging of forces into a prohibited zone.

Moreover, the AI would need some smarts so that an AI controlled side could deploy its forces amongst the respective zones. This would entail adding some form of priority value to each zone within the ScenMaker. We may need several such values if we want to differentiate between armour, arty and infantry for instance.  We may want to add a min and max value for each too.

Sure it's do-able. But it is a BIG job. As to where it stacks in the overall wish list I'm not so sure. I for one would rather see other features added first. But then I'm willing to be influenced by a groundswell of user opinion. So I'd appreciate some feedback from others.

< Message edited by Arjuna -- 3/25/2008 1:46:31 AM >

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 103
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/25/2008 3:20:45 AM   
FredSanford3

quote:

Sure it's do-able. But it is a BIG job. As to where it stacks in the overall wish list I'm not so sure. I for one would rather see other features added first. But then I'm willing to be influenced by a groundswell of user opinion. So I'd appreciate some feedback from others.

My 'groundswell of user opinion' vote goes for mount/dismount capability. Sorry to beat that drum again, but I really think it'd be the #1 improvement to a great engine. It seems to me that that would dovetail with the comments about routing units and abandoning their equipment as well - if the game can handle mounting/dismounting, it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to provide means for abandoning guns/vehicles.

...and a campaign game, or at least a way to save/export the end state of units in a scenario, and import said unit states to a subsequent scenario.

Well, shoot, that's two votes. Chicago-style voting, I reckon.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 104
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/25/2008 1:18:10 PM   
Howard7x

I agree to disagree with Franklin...

The #1 improvement to this game would be a campaign mode, the mount/dismount capability would come a welcomed 2nd

I understand all of the problems and reasons why a campaign mode is currently not an option. If you had a bigger dev team and more time it would be the feature that would make this games replayability endless.

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

Post #: 105
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/25/2008 6:54:06 PM   
Mehring

All of the above, so get crackin' ;)

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 106
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/25/2008 8:39:58 PM   
FredSanford3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mehring

There you go. A compromise. We want it all, and we want it now.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 107
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/26/2008 1:47:51 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mehring

There you go. A compromise. We want it all, and we want it now.

Fine! Glad to oblige. Please forward the cash advance to our bank account by cob and I'll get onto it right away. And if you are wondering how big a cash advance, then think BIG like the features you want.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 108
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/26/2008 6:54:07 AM   
FredSanford3

nm

< Message edited by Franklin Nimitz -- 3/26/2008 6:55:42 AM >

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 109
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/26/2008 5:04:45 PM   
Howard7x

If i won the lottery, i donate some to you and SSG so you can make even better wargames! Nice gesture eh? Well, i just need to win the lottery now  Anyone wanna buy me a ticket?

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

Post #: 110
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/26/2008 6:39:18 PM   
FredSanford3

I hope for all our sake's that Arjuna finds his Kurt Schilling.

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 111
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/27/2008 1:48:29 AM   
Arjuna

OK I had to google "Kurt Schilling" to realise it was another baseball reference.  I was worried for a minute that he might be a stalker or something worse!

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 112
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/27/2008 4:27:14 AM   
FredSanford3

Did you see the part about him buying Advanced Squad Leader when Avalon Hill was bought out by Hasbro?

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 113
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 3/27/2008 5:46:45 AM   
Arjuna

No I did not. I see. Please excuse my ignorance.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 114
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 5/8/2008 12:08:37 AM   
JFalk68

I would love to see a more detailed AAR broken down by unit losses and damage inflicted by a particular unit. I know I can scroll over the units at the end of the battle but I want to see a more direct comparison of the units starting strength and what they finished the scenario at. I want to know which of my units distinguished themselves :)

Anyways, great game. I just picked it up a few days ago and I am thoroughly enjoying it

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 115
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 5/8/2008 2:23:03 AM   
Arjuna

JFalk68,

Welcome.

Yes your not the first to request that. It's already in our Task Tracker database. I'm not sure if we'll get to it for BFTB, but I'll bump it up the priority ladder.

TT1766 - UI - AAR - add unit performance detail to AAR

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to JFalk68)
Post #: 116
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 6/20/2009 3:58:57 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

JFalk68,

Welcome.

Yes your not the first to request that. It's already in our Task Tracker database. I'm not sure if we'll get to it for BFTB, but I'll bump it up the priority ladder.

TT1766 - UI - AAR - add unit performance detail to AAR

What's the final verdict on this one?

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 117
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 6/22/2009 1:11:24 AM   
Arjuna

No it's not going to make it for BFTB. I'm desperately trying to wrap things up. So nothing new is going to get in at this stage. We'll be reviewing the wish list after BFTB and so we'll review this item then.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 118
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 6/22/2009 2:53:40 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

No it's not going to make it for BFTB. I'm desperately trying to wrap things up. So nothing new is going to get in at this stage. We'll be reviewing the wish list after BFTB and so we'll review this item then.

Understood.

Someday, I'd like to see it incorporated into an AA game so that I can evaluate what happened and how effective my strategies were, apart from "winning."

The games based on the Sid Meier's Gettysburg engine had end-of-game screens that detailed how many casualties individual units inflicted.

Those post game analysis of the results were an important part of the whole experience.

Now, back to work!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 119
RE: Wishlist (cont'd) - 6/23/2009 5:13:44 AM   
sross

I've been searching the forum and trying to find an answer about dismounting motorized infantry. I see that it was suggested as an improvement, but was unable to ascertain whether it will be added in a later patch or the next game. Is there any update on this? 

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean >> RE: Wishlist (cont'd) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI