Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

You say Manado..I say Menudo

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> You say Manado..I say Menudo Page: <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
You say Manado..I say Menudo - 3/18/2009 8:31:33 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Potayyyto...Potahhhto
Menudo....Manado

Let's call the whole thing off.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 3091
Haiku - 3/18/2009 8:44:11 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Here is a haiku (sort of) our opponent composed and sent to us by email.

It's like there's this open door and through it walks a wolf.

You know you could shoot the wolf pretty easily but someone forgot to buy bullets.

So you stand there clutching this empty useless gun, wishing you had some bullets,

and the wolf just kind of casually walks over and tears your throat out.

Yeah, that's what it's like

The time for the japs to hit Manado is now before reinforcements can become ensconced. It is too far forward to base a serious surface force so the base is very vulnerable to air and naval bombardment. I lost all minelayers and the nearest airbase suitable for bombers is Kai which is beyond range of P-38's and everything except the heavies. I will be flying in ground support troops and an Australian CD unit and construction engineers will be landing at Manado today. Tomrrow I will fly in some Dutch Avengers. They will not be very potent as the base cant handle torpedo loadouts yet. I have no SBD's in Oz.

If the Empire shows up with some carriers and a combat brigade, they could take back Manado. I will try to send an Aussie Cav Brigade up there as soon as the AP's get back to Darwin from the Amboina landing.

The move to Hollandia is more misdirection. I have spotted Jap transports at Wewak...so he is likely reinforcing.

Post #: 3092
RE: Haiku - 3/19/2009 4:48:11 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

You know you could shoot the wolf pretty easily but someone forgot to buy bullets.

So you stand there clutching this empty useless gun, wishing you had some bullets,

Kind of reminds me why I came to hate Modern Poetry in High School English long ago in 1968.

This crap doesn't even rhyme like a bad Rap Song!

OTOH, Menado is looking a lot like a fulcrum here (I did so love learning about simple machines in 2nd grade in 1959).

I bet if you hold it onto that fulcrum, you could use it to move the entire Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere wherever you want...

This will be mst interesting to watch. Keep us updated, please.

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 3093
Love Shack - 3/19/2009 4:12:48 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Beach Cottage, Dunedin, New Zealand, May 22, 1943******

A middle aged woman draws an imaginary roccoco design on the naked body of her consort, who is lying prone in bed. She skirts close to a birthmark which looks amazingly like the island of Corregidor.

Jean: Douggie, my little stud muffin?

Number 2: Oh, you mean me?

Jean: Yes silly. I...just wanted to say, when I came here, I was angry...about the wife swapping club..and....well..I wanted to kill you...

Number 2: <tries to speak but she quiets him with a finger to his lips>

Jean:...No, don't speak. I'm not done. I did want to kill you when I came here, but you have swept me off my feet again. Douggie, you seem a new man. You are more spontaneous and...well..then there are certain things about you that...well...just seem bigger. I know it's crazy, but it is just that thang you do. I do miss Arthur though and I want us to go back to Georgetown.

Number 2: Can I talk now?

Jean: Oh, yes sorry.

Number 2: Where is Gerogetown?

Jean: In Washington, silly.

Number 2: I'm not sure they will let me...and who is Arthur?

Jean: Your son silly. Come on Douggie, I'm serious.

Number 2: Oh, yeah, I forgot.

Jean: Well?

Number 2: But what about my coastwatching duties?

Jean: Oh, silly there aren't any Japs around for a thousand of miles.

Number 2: That is what they want you to think. They are good at camouflage. By the way, who is watching Arthur if you are here?

Jean: Au Cheu.

Number 2: Wait..your'e kidding .."Ah Chew"...haahahah...who is her brother "silent but deadly"? Hahahhaa. Hey watch this! <he stands and begins swallowing air> ommp...ommmmp...ommmp.
...ommmmp.ommmp....ommmp.... <he trows his head back and begins to belch> M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P <then nothing> DAMNIT! I ALMOST MADE IT!
DID YOU HEAR THAT? I WAS THAT CLOSE!....

Post #: 3094
RE: Haiku - 3/19/2009 6:19:21 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

quote:

This crap doesn't even rhyme like a bad Rap Song!

Maybe it works better as a limerick?

There once was a wolf who could walk.

That we were all safe was just talk.

We called him a bore,

so he walked through the door,

and fell in amongst the flock!

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 3095
RE: You say Manado..I say Menudo - 3/19/2009 7:57:11 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Cool limerick!

May 22nd goes well for the Allies in Sulawese and Dutch New Guinea. There are no Jap sub attacks and all the transports reach their destinations safely without air or surface attack.

1) Australian Construction Engineers and shore guns reach Manado. This is no small feat with the gauntlet they have to run between Davao (unkown number of bombers), the Eastern Borneo airfields and Makassar with nearly 100 bombers (mostly Bettys). Manado now has 32 Kittyhawks, 18 P-38's and 8 Catalina

2) The KNIL Barisan Regt takes Morotai with a limited number of howler monkey and friendly fire incidents.

3) 9th Aus. Div and friends attack effectively again at Amboina, reducing fortifications to level 1 but the Japs hold.

4) USAAF ground support troops arrive off Cape Sansapor without incident.

5) One coy. of Sparrow Force begins landing at Hollandia without opposition.

Here is a pic of the real Allied landing near Hollandia in 1944. There was only one road off the beach and the beach was quite narrow so it was quite overcrowded.

Post #: 3096
Hollandia - 3/19/2009 8:44:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Naval forces for the Hollandia/Aitape operation April, 1994

Post #: 3097
Hollandia - 3/19/2009 8:59:04 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3098
RE: Haiku - 3/20/2009 2:48:12 AM   
Moondawggie

We called him a bore,

[/quote]

Hey, the guys Mandrake is fighting are controlling the IJA/IJN, and the only poetry those dudes know is Haiku.

Now, if Mandrake were waging a war against the Greater Irish Co-Prosperity Sphere, then a limerick would be acceptable.

OTOH, your limerick rhymes much better than a bad Rap song

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3099
RE: Haiku - 3/20/2009 11:44:44 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

We called him a bore,

Hmmm... should Mandrake get the flock out of there, then??

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3100
RE: Haiku - 3/20/2009 6:43:15 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Hmmm... should Mandrake get the flock out of there, then??

Pull out? Heck no! That doesn't sound very manly !

Why do you think I sent Eastern Borneo Bn and Sparrow Force? They are "fungible".

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3101
RE: Haiku - 3/20/2009 8:22:39 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Pull out? Heck no! That doesn't sound very manly !

Invasion interruptus??

Sorry, i am in a punny mood today!

Post #: 3102
Babo - 3/21/2009 7:42:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

********USAAF 90th BS(M)Briefing Room, Babo, New Guinea, May 24, 1943*******

Col. Cathcart: <surveys a large scale map of Dutch New Guinea and its environs. He speaks to one of the MP's at the tent entrance> I am here to tell you, sargeant, those Japs may be little but they are smart as whips.

MP: Yes sir, they are smart, little yellow bastards. We would have whipped them already if they weren't.

Col. Cathcart: Every time they make a run in at Sansapor they seem to JUST make it outside of B-25 range before daybreak. One of these times.....they will mess with the 90th Bomb Squadron ONE too many times.

MP: Yes sir, they will regret it then, I'd say.

Col. Cathcart: <he takes out his calipers and begins to walk off distances from Sansapor on the map. He comes up with the same figure he did 5 minutes ago and the very same figure he came up with yesterday> Sargeant, there is something odd. The Japs usually hit Sansapor about oh one hundred then when we spot them about 7 hrs later they are out of range. Figure 110 miles from here to Sansapor then 7 hrs at 30 kts.....that gotta be...even under the most favorable conditions....no more than 320 or 330 miles. Yet everytime..they seem to be out of range..at least according to the map. <for the 10th time he checks his calipers against the map key.
He notices this time that one corner of the key appears to be separating from the map. He tugs lightly at it. To his astonishment, the entire map key peels neatly away revealing several pieces of wartime, low latex chewing gum affixed to it. The original map key can now be seen.>

SARGEANT! I WANT A 24 HR GUARD ON THIS MAP! AND SOMEBODY GET ME SOUTHWEST PAC DENTAL POLICE ON THE HORN...PRONTO!

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/21/2009 7:53:21 PM >

Post #: 3103
Here they come - 3/21/2009 8:48:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Amboina falls on the 23rd but the airfield is wrecked. Jap carriers and BB's are spotted East of Morotai. Their likely target is Menado but they coudl easily hit Sansapor, Morotai or even Kai.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3104
RE: Babo - 3/22/2009 5:43:43 PM   
Moondawggie

quote:

********USAAF 90th BS(M)Briefing Room, Babo, New Guinea, May 24, 1943*******

Col. Cathcart: <surveys a large scale map of Dutch New Guinea and its environs. He speaks to one of the MP's at the tent entrance> I am here to tell you, sargeant, those Japs may be little but they are smart as whips.

MP: Yes sir, they are smart, little yellow bastards. We would have whipped them already if they weren't.

Col. Cathcart: Every time they make a run in at Sansapor they seem to JUST make it outside of B-25 range before daybreak. One of these times.....they will mess with the 90th Bomb Squadron ONE too many times.

MP: Yes sir, they will regret it then, I'd say.

Col. Cathcart: <he takes out his calipers and begins to walk off distances from Sansapor on the map. He comes up with the same figure he did 5 minutes ago and the very same figure he came up with yesterday> Sargeant, there is something odd. The Japs usually hit Sansapor about oh one hundred then when we spot them about 7 hrs later they are out of range. Figure 110 miles from here to Sansapor then 7 hrs at 30 kts.....that gotta be...even under the most favorable conditions....no more than 320 or 330 miles. Yet everytime..they seem to be out of range..at least according to the map. <for the 10th time he checks his calipers against the map key.
He notices this time that one corner of the key appears to be separating from the map. He tugs lightly at it. To his astonishment, the entire map key peels neatly away revealing several pieces of wartime, low latex chewing gum affixed to it. The original map key can now be seen.>

SARGEANT! I WANT A 24 HR GUARD ON THIS MAP! AND SOMEBODY GET ME SOUTHWEST PAC DENTAL POLICE ON THE HORN...PRONTO!

I sure hope that Yossarian didn't have a tooth capped recently....

Post #: 3105
RE: Babo - 3/22/2009 6:52:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

I sure hope that Yossarian didn't have a tooth capped recently....

Oh sure...the poor guy grouses about a couple of missions and now he gets blamed for eveything.

The funny thing is...the day after the gum incident, 90th BS flies it's first antishipping mission in some time.

It looks like the Japs want the Taro field back at Sansapor.
I think I would have picked Menado if I were them givent the usefulness of the position to a landing in Mindanao. I think the feigned encirclement move in Northern New Guinea is working. The remaining ground forces at Sansapor are quite weak. As it happens, the elite Beauforts waiting to torpedo something for months are out of position in Wyndham. They can't be brought to bear at Babo until the 26th. The RAAF at Sansapor did a bang up job. Also the prsence of so many Jap carriers in my area bodes well for Lord Admiral Tabpub's big operation in the Solomons.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/22/2009 7:00:27 PM >

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 3106
Meanwhile - 3/22/2009 7:30:11 PM   
Cap Mandrake

It looks like the Japs brought the whole shootin' match to New Guinea....meanwhile...120 mi West of Vanikolo (Santa Cruz Islands) the US Navy is up to something. 4 fleet carriers, 2 CVL's, 3 CVE's, 4 fast BB's, five pre-war BB's and over 500 carrier aircraft are headed NW. They brought Americal Div. 43rd ID, a Tank Bn and some Marines just for fun.

They were unspotted till today when Jap Bettys launched from Lunga. A total of 20 Bettys were destroyed with no USN losses. No doubt, the Japs will deduce where they are headed...and with their carriers off New Guinea there is not much they can do about it...short of shore batteries and sea mines.

Post #: 3107
RE: Babo - 3/22/2009 9:01:18 PM   
witpqs

quote:

If prepared well the taro itself is OK. The secret is the sauce.

Post #: 3108
RE: Babo - 3/22/2009 9:48:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

Well...there you have it. They shall have a fight then.

*********The PM's bunker, London, May 25, 1943**********

Sir Alan Brooke: .....it's Blamey, you see. He's come undone about the Jap carriers. He wants to get his boys out of Dutch New Guinea.

W.C: Get them OUT, you say? NONSENSE! We shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the Taro fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Sir Alan Brooke: Why....that's.....that's quite good. I am not sure, however, that there there are any streets in Cape Sansapor.

W.C: Right...jungle paths then. Get it off right away to Blamey. No time to go all wobbly on us........

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3109
L Ron Hubbard...snicker - 3/23/2009 12:31:45 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Stalker girl is out of town and I had a bad cold last night so I watched Battlefield Earth on one of my 600 chanels...or maybe it's 500..who knows.

Oh dear God that was terrible. At several points I said out loud, "what were they thinking"? I even checked the label on my chai tea to make sure it had no hallucinogens. I kept thinking "is it the acting...editing...pacing...cinematography...yes..yes..yes and yes...but there is a certain indefinable quality...a pervasive crappiness that transends normal moviemaking." I couldn't believe that Heaven's Gate was actually worse than this thing. I congartulated myself for not spending any money on it.

Then I looked up the author ....

More on Admiral Draemel after I get back fromt he Ducks game.

Post #: 3110
RE: L Ron Hubbard...snicker - 3/23/2009 1:19:24 AM   
BrucePowers

I did not watch the movie and I was sorry I bought the book

Post #: 3111
RE: L Ron Hubbard...snicker - 3/23/2009 2:30:24 AM   
USSAmerica

I read the book years and years ago, basically when it came out, as a teenager.  I remember enjoying it then, but never bothered to watch the movie.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3112
RE: L Ron Hubbard...snicker - 3/23/2009 2:39:52 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Stalker girl is out of town and I had a bad cold last night so I watched Battlefield Earth on one of my 600 chanels...or maybe it's 500..who knows.

Oh dear God that was terrible. At several points I said out loud, "what were they thinking"? I even checked the label on my chai tea to make sure it had no hallucinogens. I kept thinking "is it the acting...editing...pacing...cinematography...yes..yes..yes and yes...but there is a certain indefinable quality...a pervasive crappiness that transends normal moviemaking." I couldn't believe that Heaven's Gate was actually worse than this thing. I congartulated myself for not spending any money on it.

Then I looked up the author ....

Yeah, i just recently saw it for the first time on Rifftracks, which is a really nifty innovation... the guys from Mystery Science 3000 riff on the movie all the way through it... basically, you can download a movie (in MP4 format) then combine it with their commentary, thus avoiding any copyright problems... of course, you could just watch the movie without the commentary as well...

Anyway, old L. Ron supposedly wrote the series, but it turned out he was dead when most of it was written... i guess you can really crank em out once you don't have bodily considerations to deal with ... of course, this business didn't come out for some time.

The Scientologists declared that L. Ron had been transformed to light or gone directly to heaven or something, but the IRS got on their case and they eventually were forced to produce his body... i think he had been dead for close to a decade - which turn out it was when his writing career took off (going on memory here.)

Post #: 3113
RE: Babo - 3/23/2009 6:37:17 AM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

Actually more important, IMHO, would be the Kava drink.

Alfred

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3114
Herr Admiral Draemel - 3/23/2009 4:03:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Aboard HMS Exeter, flagship of Amboina Landing Force, 40 mi North of Kai Island, May 20, 1943******

Admiral Draemel stands outside the bridge to have a smoke. As he begins to light his pipe he drops his match. The match is still lit. As he is a very parsimonious man, he bends to pick it up. The ship rolls to port. In his precarious position (and because he is no longer a young man) he loses his balance and his head pitches heavily into a heavy door latch. He staggers upright, the world is compressed into a narrow tunnel of vision. The ship begins to roll to starboard. He feels himself moving backwards in slow motion. "MY GOD!", he tries to say. Under the circumstances, his less than perfectly functioning brain falls back on familiarity and it sounds more like, "mein Gott". It is barely croaked in any event. Nobody hears him. The small of his back hits the cable railing and he pitches ass over tea kettle into the Banda Sea. Auf Wiedersehen Herr Admiral Draemel.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/23/2009 4:05:08 PM >

Post #: 3115
RE: Herr Admiral Draemel - 3/23/2009 4:06:22 PM   
USSAmerica

Things are looking up for the Commonwealth Naval assets. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 3116
RE: Herr Admiral Draemel - 3/23/2009 4:10:43 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Things are looking up for the Commonwealth Naval assets.

Not so fast. You don't think that is the end of the story.

Check this out...Milo...of the Draemel variety is in a book by Newt Gingrich

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Books/Story?id=4741089&page=3

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3117
RE: Herr Admiral Draemel - 3/23/2009 4:22:42 PM   
Cap Mandrake

******Wooded street, King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, May 22, 1943******

Gracious trees arch over the street. Before a neatly maintained home, with dozens of tulips in full bloom, a khaki sedan with "USN" stenciled on its side pulls to a stop. Two US Navy officers get out and begin to approach the home. From behind a picture window in the front of the house a middle aged woman lets loose a wail that can be heard from the walkway, "MEIN SCHATZ, MILO!"

Post #: 3118
RE: Herr Admiral Draemel - 3/24/2009 3:11:41 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

Check this out...Milo...of the Draemel variety is in a book by Newt Gingrich

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Books/Story?id=4741089&page=3

That was one heck of a destroyer torpedo run he led into the teeth of the IJN BBs in WW2 1941 v.B-7 mod 5.3!

Mandrake, you just might miss him in the future.

Fair winds and following seas, Admiral Dramel!

Post #: 3119
RE: Babo - 3/24/2009 2:52:22 PM   
FOW

I have always been very sceptical of the 'Global Cooling' hypothosis UNTIL NOW

Am I the only person to notice the giant icebergs floating around the Molucca and Banda Seas

quote:

Post #: 3120
Page:   <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> You say Manado..I say Menudo Page: <<   < prev  102 103 [104] 105 106   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI