Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wait...no....I...I....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Wait...no....I...I.... Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/27/2009 3:00:16 AM   
Cap Mandrake

******Emerald Bay, Laguna Beach, July 25, 16:40*******

As a red sliver of sun sinks below the horizon, the ornate prow of an authentic replica Viking longboat slices through a breaker after riding halfway up the wave. The heavy vessel is undeterred and continues seaward. The kindling, which has been set alight now reaches a crucial temperature and seems to erupt in flame. The orange reflections of the fire now mix with the last rays of the setting sun. A crowd of 120 (minus a few a***** who RSVP'ed but no showed..thanks pal, you do realize I have to give the caterer a number BEFORE the event..where you born in a barn or something..hello..where was I..oh..) stand in reverence (OK..so there are a few who smuggled in some Heinekins..OK...are you happy, Jeez, cut me some slack, OK?). Security have done their job well. None of the guests have an avatar pinned to their shirt (or dress).

Cap Mandrake (aboard the longboat): Wait....no....I...I..I am not so sure about this. Hey, this is getting really hot! OK..no..I changed my mind! HELP! My fine linen trousers are smoking! HELP!....

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/27/2009 3:02:59 AM >

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 3331
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/27/2009 3:10:33 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Security have done their job well. None of the guests have an avatar pinned to their shirt (or dress).

That's because you didn't post the date.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 3332
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/27/2009 3:11:31 AM   
BrucePowers

Now if Bob and I had been there we might have been able to put out the fire

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3333
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/27/2009 3:13:01 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

As a red sliver of sun sinks below the horizon, the ornate prow of an authentic replica Viking longboat slices through a breaker after riding halfway up the wave. The heavy vessel is undeterred and continues seaward. The kindling, which has been set alight now reaches a crucial temperature and seems to erupt in flame. The orange reflections of the fire now mix with the last rays of the setting sun. A crowd of 120 (minus a few a***** who RSVP'ed but no showed..thanks pal, you do realize I have to give the caterer a number BEFORE the event..where you born in a barn or something..hello..where was I..oh..) stand in reverence (OK..so there are a few who smuggled in some Heinekins..OK...are you happy, Jeez, cut me some slack, OK?). Security have done their job well. None of the guests have an avatar pinned to their shirt (or dress).

Cap Mandrake (aboard the longboat): Wait....no....I...I..I am not so sure about this. Hey, this is getting really hot! OK..no..I changed my mind! HELP! My fine linen trousers are smoking! HELP!....

My contacts in Southern California say it has been a little hot there lately.

Post #: 3334
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/27/2009 4:32:16 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

quote:

Security have done their job well. None of the guests have an avatar pinned to their shirt (or dress).

That's because you didn't post the date.

It was open bar. I was trying to keep the cost down.

Post #: 3335
Blue Footed Booby Force - 7/27/2009 4:41:47 AM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Bridge of HMS Shropshire, 220 ESE of Tuguegarao, Luzon, 07:30, July 9, 1943*********

Adm. Furlong (task force CO): Major, it looks like Tuguegarao. Recon shows a Jap unit at Aparri. Are your men ready?

Major Hazard, CO of Blue Foote Booby Force, 7th Aus. Inf Div:: Yes, Admiral, I believe we are.

Adm. Furlong (task force CO): And maps? Surely your preparation time is limited?

Major Hazard, CO of Blue Foote Booby Force, 7th Aus. Inf Div:: We are going to make inquiries at the Esso station.

Post #: 3336
RE: Blue Footed Booby Force - 7/27/2009 6:08:48 AM   
bradfordkay

I think congratulations are in order... but to whom I am not quite sure! 

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 3337
RE: Blue Footed Booby Force - 7/27/2009 3:10:55 PM   
CaptDave

What Brad said. All the best!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 3338
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/29/2009 4:38:16 AM   
Moondawggie

Wow! Laguna beach! Viking Longboats on fire in the Sunset! Even an Open Bar!

That's one excellent way of commemorating the demise of a free man...Sorry I missed it!

All the best in the future, Mandrake: Fair Winds and Following Seas throughout your marriage.

Stalker Girl is should henceforth forever be known as Mandrake's Girl! We all rejoice for you....

Now, Capt., GET BACK TO THE DARN WAR!!!!!

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 3339
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/30/2009 2:06:36 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

Wow! Laguna beach! Viking Longboats on fire in the Sunset! Even an Open Bar!

That's one excellent way of commemorating the demise of a free man...Sorry I missed it!

Well...truth be told...the ship thingy is metaphorical The open bar part I did not make up. We had 2 cases of wine, half a case of champagne, 10-15 half gallons of liquor, sissy drinks like Amaretto, a 20 ampere margarita machine imported from Yossrian's Home in Darwin...and with all that, the guests nearly got into a WWF smackdown over the Heineken on tap.

It turns out that part of Stalker Girls extended relatives make the Clampetts look like urbane sophisticates. (If she ever reads this I am soooooo dead)

OK..back to the war. Lord Admiral Tabpub ordered the assault on Kiska after weeks of air preparation. The airfield was vacant but somebody forgot to tell the Jap costal defences their position was hopeless. They absolutely tore into the AP's disembarking 7th ID. A bombardment by USS Colorado did little to silence the guns. About half of 7th ID is ashore but disorganized and out of supply. There is no way for them to attack at this time. A withdrawal would be equally problematic. The combat report from the landing was so shocking that it apparently caused Lord Admiral Tabpub's motherboard to go up in smoke. So I had to take over.

I transfered Colorado from the bombardment force to the amphibious TF to absorb damaged from the shore batteries. This left the Light Cruiser Concord and 6 DD's as a security force. The Colorado trick worked well as she absorbed 90-100 shore battery hits without catastrophic damage. The transports still got hit but not nearly as bad as on D-day.

A balanced Jap Crusier/DD force showed up at night and was intercepted by Concord and her DD's. It was ugly (see below). It would have been interesting to see if Colorado might have tipped the balance but I fear she would have eaten some torps as well. The good news is the Japs exhausted so much ammo on the Concord TF that the transports were completely saved. I haven't seen the game file yet but hope there is enough supply ashore that I can withdraw and let the 7th ID rest a bit before attacking. At least 2 of the Jap DD's will need yard time but I suspect the three CA's are still battleworthy. The weather was lousy so the Jap surface force escaped retribution by air from Adak.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 3340
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/30/2009 2:11:22 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

It turns out that part of Stalker Girls extended relatives make the Clampetts look like urbane sophisticates. (If she ever reads this I am soooooo dead)

< Message edited by BrucePowers -- 7/30/2009 2:13:18 AM >

Post #: 3341
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/30/2009 2:14:50 AM   
BrucePowers

Congratulations by the way. I hope all is well.

Post #: 3342
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/30/2009 2:26:09 AM   
bradfordkay

"make the Clampetts look like urbane sophisticates."  

Well they were compared to most of the residents of Bugtussle and Hooterville! At least until that Douglas couple moved into the area... 

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 3343
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/30/2009 7:08:56 AM   
Grotius

Grats, Cap. :)

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 3344
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/30/2009 8:16:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

********Near Tuguegarao, Luzon, 06:50, July 10, 1943*******

Major Hazard, CO of Blue Footed Booby Force, 7th Aus. Inf Div: <the Major leads a long column of men in twos along a paved road. He raises his hand to halt the column and makes inquiry of a man tending to some pigs> YOU THERE! We Aussie. We friends. Kill Japs <he mimics a machine gun> POW POW POW. Where Esso station? <mimics gas pump handle> Glug Glug Glug.

Pig Farmer: <in barely accented English> What do you neeed gasoline for? You have no vehicles.

Major Hazard, CO of Blue Footed Booby Force, 7th Aus. Inf Div: Ah, slendid! You speak English, then?

Pig Farmer: As do you, I see. We haven't had any gasoline here for almost two years. The Goddmaned Japs took it
all.

Major Hazard, CO of Blue Footed Booby Force, 7th Aus. Inf Div: Yes, I see. Well, really, we were looking for a map.

Pig Farmer: No maps here either. Most everyone around here knows where they are going.

Major Hazard, CO of Blue Footed Booby Force, 7th Aus. Inf Div: Ah, splendid. Could you direct us to <consults paper> Too....goo....aaaah...no....eeeeeh

Pig Farmer: Tuguegarao...yeah..2 miles, turn right at the Esso station. Best be careful, though. There are Japs there.

Major Hazard, CO of Blue Footed Booby Force, 7th Aus. Inf Div: JAPS!?? But we were told the place was unoccupied.

Pig Farmer: Not by me you weren't. Will there be shooting then?

Major Hazard, CO of Blue Footed Booby Force, 7th Aus. Inf Div: Quite possibly, yes.

Pig Farmer: Good luck with that. Put a bullet in Sgt Yoshimura for me. The guy is a sadistic one. I had best move my pigs along....

Post #: 3345
RE: Wait...no....I...I.... - 7/31/2009 1:58:00 AM   
BrucePowers

Some real intel

Post #: 3346
At the Esso station - 8/3/2009 8:48:46 PM   
Cap Mandrake

********Off Tuguegarao, Luzon, 11:50, July 10, 1943*******

It is a dark and stormy night. (not really...it's dark all right..but not stormy... I just always wanted to say that..now that I have it is oddly unsatisfying).

Oh, yes...the scene: Bridge of Tone. 3000 yds off Tuguegarao, Luzon. Tone is the flagship of a bombardment squadron of heavy cruisers out of Takao. The ships are in line ahead at 12 kts. All main guns point shoreward. To keep the men on their toes, the Admiral has ordered a special communication drill to pass messages aboard ship. All messages are to be passed verbally, man to man, in English. He liked to amuse himself with such things. It reminded him of his year of postgraduate study at UCLA.

Admiral Shimizu, CO, Special Luzon Bombardment Force: Captain, you may make your target the Esso station. Instruct the others to commence firing..HIGH EXPLOSIVE...LAND TARGET!

Ships Captain: HIGH EXPROSIVE.....RAND TARGET!

Sailor on flying bridge: HIGH EXPROSIVE.....RAND TARGET!

Next sailor: HIGH EXPROSIVE.....RAND TARGET!

Next sailor: HIGH EXPROSIVE.....RAND TARGET!.....

The Admiral begins to chuckle. With each repition his laugh grows louder.....

Post #: 3347
RE: At the Esso station - 8/3/2009 8:52:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

********Near Tuguegarao, Luzon, 11:50:20, July 10, 1943*******

Major Hazard, CO of Blue Footed Booby Force, 7th Aus. Inf Div: <The Major leads a very tired band of men who have been marching for nearly 17 hrs and seem to be going in circles. As he turns a bend in the road his heart leaps with joy> IT'S THE ESSO STATION LADS!

Post #: 3348
RE: At the Esso station - 8/3/2009 10:44:56 PM   
BrucePowers

Uh Oh

Post #: 3349
Care package - 8/5/2009 6:49:09 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********Mess Tent, 120 Sqdrn (Mariner equipped), RCAF, Suva, July 11, 1943**********

<An energetic young airman enters the tent carrying two large boxes>

Energetic young airman: HEY GUYS! CARE PACKAGES! I THINK THESE MIGHT BE GOOD! These are from...<looks at shipping label>...the Women's <he struggles a bit> Pro..phyl...lactic Society of Canada, Calgary Chapter.

<His enthusiasm, and the intriguing source of the Care package, rouse the men from their tropical torpor. They can hardly be blamed for their lassitude, given the heat and the fact that no Japanese vessels or aircraft have been seen for months..maybe the odd blue whale mistaken for a Jap sub..but that is it....sure there is the rumour about the Japs holed up in the mountains...but it is not like anyone can really say they have seen one. Eager hands rip at the boxes until it resembles a feeding frenzy of Oceanic White Tips. Then, when the container finally succumbs, 3 dozen dark bkue, knitted woolen, lumberjack hats spill over the floor. After an audible sigh, the men return to their torpor>

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/5/2009 6:55:36 PM >

Post #: 3350
Polska vs the Mayan empire - 8/5/2009 6:56:09 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Stalker Girl and the Mayan housekeeper are at each other's throats.

The Mayan actually advised me in all seriousness to avoid the Viking Long Boat ceremony. Stalker Girl was not amused. Now the Mayan feels she is not welcome. It is a colossal test of wills and national pride over access to the new Bosch front-loading washing machine.

I will try to broker a deal but I fear one may have to go.

Post #: 3351
Sgt. Leary - 8/5/2009 7:15:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********Aboard USS Ashland, Landing Ship (Dock), 150 ESE of Oahu, July 11, 1943********

A small bunkroom has a beaded curtain divider and is covered with swing band posters and paisely wall paper. A young Sgt. of the US Army Medical Corps reclines in his bunk.

Sgt. Leary: Woooooowwwwwww.........

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 8/5/2009 7:26:16 PM >

Post #: 3352
RE: Polska vs the Mayan empire - 8/6/2009 12:29:54 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

Stalker Girl and the Mayan housekeeper are at each other's throats.

The Mayan actually advised me in all seriousness to avoid the Viking Long Boat ceremony. Stalker Girl was not amused. Now the Mayan feels she is not welcome. It is a colossal test of wills and national pride over access to the new Bosch front-loading washing machine.

I will try to broker a deal but I fear one may have to go.

Bosch, we went with the Kenmore model. I think my wife wants me to have more access to it..............

Post #: 3353
RE: Polska vs the Mayan empire - 8/6/2009 4:18:02 AM   
T Rav

Re: Sgt Leary.

My first guess is that his location means he has found some local vegetation that is known to have certain medicinal qualities... Alternatively, he may have already started his chemistry experiments.

Looking forward to the answer in the next installment.

Ciao,
T Rav

Post #: 3354
Sgt. Leary - 8/6/2009 9:17:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**********Pearl Harbor, July 12, 1943*********

USS Ashland is dockside. A US Army Sgt. whose hair is a bit out of regulation and who wears curious octoganal glasses descends a ramp from the ship. The line behind him bunches up as he stops to stare at the clouds.

A US Army Sgt. whose hair is a bit out of regulation and who wears curious octoganal glasses:
Woooowwww.

Another NCO in line: Come on, Leary, MOVE IT!

The line begins to move again. As the men step onto the dock, the large white ID characters of the ship can be seen behind them.

It reads: LSD-1

Post #: 3355
RE: Sgt. Leary - 8/6/2009 10:45:50 PM   
BrucePowers

Post #: 3356
RE: Sgt. Leary - 8/6/2009 10:50:25 PM   
BrucePowers

Queue the Moody Blues..........

Post #: 3357
Next stop, Luzon - 8/6/2009 11:50:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3358
RE: Next stop, Luzon - 8/7/2009 3:14:24 AM   
BrucePowers

This game won't last past early 44 at this rate.

Post #: 3359
Luzon - 8/7/2009 9:49:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Tuguegarao falls with it's level 4 airfield apparently intact. The initial landings at Legaspi go very well without shore gun or naval mine losses. 2 tanks regts. and 6th ID will arrive at Legaspi within 2 days.

Haruna and Kongo have again sortied. They could reach Legaspi which could make for an interesting surface battle v PoW, Shropsire, Australia and a RN CL and 3 DD. Any heavily damaged ships would be targets for bombers from Tacloban at daylight, however.

I now need to get engineers and supply to Tuguegarao to support the next leap....probably Batan Is. in the Strait of Formosa.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3360
Page:   <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Wait...no....I...I.... Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI