Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Boise...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Boise... Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boise... - 10/19/2007 1:00:14 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobogoboom

We will build a pyre for you.

Ummm....Quapla!

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 1591
Glycogen body - 10/19/2007 2:40:13 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I think you were right the first time, it was stegosaurus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegosaurus

quote:

"Second brain"

Soon after describing Stegosaurus, Marsh noted a large canal in the hip region of the spinal cord, which could have accommodated a structure up to 20 times larger than the brain. This has led to the famous idea that dinosaurs like Stegosaurus had a 'second brain' in the tail, which may have been responsible for controlling reflexes in the rear portion of the body. It has also been suggested that this "brain" might have given a Stegosaurus a temporary boost when it was under threat from predators.[5] More recently, it has been argued that this space (also found in sauropods) may have been the location of a glycogen body, a structure in living birds whose function is not definitely known but which is postulated to facilitate the supply of glycogen to the animal's nervous system.[21]

Ahhhh...so that's what made me buy those tickets...the glycogen body. I've always had an odd desire to sit in bird baths and I ate a worm once when I was a kid too. The thing must be huge.

Check this out...a strategic plan with a one month horizon I..err..I mean Pownall hatched in Burma actually worked. Let's hear it for the glycogen body! Huzzah!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1592
RE: Huge Glycogen body at work - 10/19/2007 3:12:23 AM   
Cap Mandrake

*********************October 3rd, 1942.**********************

Cmmdr Jacobs of USS Sargo was right. Cyclone Narinder seems to be losing steam. The weather is still pretty lousy but Imphal is clear and a few B-17's manage to get airborne from Dacca The Japs pick on the poor RAF Mohawks but pay a price against the hot-shot USAAF P-40 pilots operating from Imphal. I bet they don't try that again. Because of the proximity of friendly ground forces, the majority of the Allied pilots shot down are recoverd after "hitting the silk".

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 10/19/2007 3:23:43 AM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1593
RE: Boise... - 10/19/2007 4:08:57 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I think you were right the first time, it was stegosaurus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegosaurus

quote:

"Second brain"

Soon after describing Stegosaurus, Marsh noted a large canal in the hip region of the spinal cord, which could have accommodated a structure up to 20 times larger than the brain. This has led to the famous idea that dinosaurs like Stegosaurus had a 'second brain' in the tail, which may have been responsible for controlling reflexes in the rear portion of the body. It has also been suggested that this "brain" might have given a Stegosaurus a temporary boost when it was under threat from predators.[5] More recently, it has been argued that this space (also found in sauropods) may have been the location of a glycogen body, a structure in living birds whose function is not definitely known but which is postulated to facilitate the supply of glycogen to the animal's nervous system.[21]

Actually, both are correct - many large sauropods including Apatosaurus, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus, etc. apparently had these structures... calling them a brain is a bit generous, they are thought to perhaps be just large neural plexi (plexuses), sort of like a solar plexus, that might control the legs... the glycogen body is another theory.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1594
RE: Boise... - 10/19/2007 5:31:34 AM   
Onime No Kyo

And what does this say about our friend Mandrake, Bob?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1595
RE: Boise... - 10/19/2007 3:58:13 PM   
BrucePowers

Educate a poor ignorant physicist/engineer. What is a glycogen body?

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1596
RE: Boise... - 10/19/2007 4:48:55 PM   
Yakface

Basically lots of sugar molecules stuck together in a chain.  Glycogen is somewhere between sugar and fat as far as speed of energy release goes.   We store a lot in the liver and it gives the energy needed by the body for any activity beyond a short sprint.  I assume a glycogen body is just an organ designed to store the stuff.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 1597
RE: Boise... - 10/19/2007 5:43:30 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface

Basically lots of sugar molecules stuck together in a chain. Glycogen is somewhere between sugar and fat as far as speed of energy release goes. We store a lot in the liver and it gives the energy needed by the body for any activity beyond a short sprint. I assume a glycogen body is just an organ designed to store the stuff.

What he said. A glucose polymer. I am pretty sure human beings don't have a "glycogen body" unless it is vestigial. The stuff is in skeletal muscle and the liver. The current thinking holds that your average blob of glucose polymers, no matter how they might be configured, are not capable of sentience. Despite this new insight, the Japs are still delivered a bloody nose in Burma and something still made me buy those tickets.

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 1598
RE: Boise... - 10/19/2007 7:26:43 PM   
bobogoboom

You should send boisie to burma she sounds like she is good at collecting intelegence. plus yall could have fun in the mud.............

.......... line here |   bobo here.

< Message edited by bobogoboom -- 10/19/2007 7:29:06 PM >

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 1599
RE: Boise... - 10/19/2007 7:36:41 PM   
VSWG

quote:

You should send boisie to burma she sounds like she is good at collecting intelegence.

You misspelled 'essence'...

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 1600
RE: Boise... - 10/20/2007 2:14:16 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

You should send boisie to burma she sounds like she is good at collecting intelegence. plus yall could have fun in the mud.............

.......... line here |   bobo here.

Rofl

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 1601
RE: Boise... - 10/20/2007 2:14:35 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

You should send boisie to burma she sounds like she is good at collecting intelegence.

You misspelled 'essence'...

And speaking of crossed lines.....

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 1602
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 6:03:48 AM   
Moondawggie

I think old rtrapasso hit it...When you have an 80 foot-long body, the signal produced by noxious stimuli disturbing the hind legs takes a long time to travel up the low-speed unmyelinated spinothalamic tract to reach the brain. A ganglion in the caudal spinal cord can substantially decrease the time interval for a flexor reflex arc to be activated, thereby allowing said sauropod to extract said hindlegs from the closing jaws of an ambushing raptor before the brain even recognizes that bad juju is going down caudally.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if Chennault's sweep strategy is a well thought-out fronto-cortical response to noxious Japanese air activity over the IJA 70th Division, or a poorly considered spinal reflex response instead.

The world wonders...

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1603
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 4:22:56 PM   
BrucePowers

What he said

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 1604
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 4:42:29 PM   
Nemo121

Gees, there are WAY too many doctors here for sure .

So far I count a psychiatrist, a paediatrician and a radiologist. I'm presuming Moondawggie is one as well though, what's your specialty? Anyone know of any others?

I'm sure people wouldn't be surprised at the number of sharks... umm, I mean lawyers... who play but I didn't expect so many docs. I don't know a single one in Ireland, other than myself, who wargames

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 1605
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 4:46:15 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Theres a rocket scientist too. Does that count?

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1606
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 4:51:07 PM   
Nemo121

hehe, I know, I once actually UV'ed someone who literally did put rockets into space for NASA. LOL!!! You know you're in an intellectual pursuit when your opponents literally CAN be brain surgeons and rocket scientists

Post #: 1607
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 4:58:21 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm a lawyer turned magazine publisher and editor, but I confess I have difficulty figuring out what's going on in Cap's entertaining AAR.  I admitted my confusion yesterday in a post in a thread by Cap's opponent, John 3rd:

"John, are you going to pick up with your AAR in the CapMandrake game?  Those of us who 'subscribed' hope so.  After all, it's impossible to figure out what's going on from Mandrake's AAR - it's full of talk about randy women in Idaho who study dinosaur ganglions to figure out whether apatosaurs enjoyed amaretto sours."

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1608
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 5:02:22 PM   
Terminus

Well, that's sorta-kinda par for the course with Mandrake's AAR's...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1609
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 5:09:45 PM   
Nemo121

Hehe, I just started reading this AAR yesterday but I have to admit I love it. "I don't want to be a Bohr" LOL!!!!

And any AAR which can bring DINOSAUR neurology into the fray just has to be classic. Now, to be air I don't think that the real issue was how quickly the dinosaur's reflex arc could be activated. As a psychiatrist I'm bound to argue that what was FAR more important was HOW that dinosaur would feel about almost being eaten 6 weeks later. Did it have flashbacks? Did it almost re-experience the attack? Did it have nightmares and did it have an increased startle response --- possibly mediated by this same caudal plexus ( I personally never bought the glycogen body explanation )? Why aren't we focussing on the IMPORTANT questions here people????    And really I think the most important question is precisely what sort of topiary the nurse DID go for if it wasn't some famous WW2 battleship. Honestly let's prioritise!!!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1610
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 5:15:41 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'm a lawyer turned magazine publisher and editor, but I confess I have difficulty figuring out what's going on in Cap's entertaining AAR.  I admitted my confusion yesterday in a post in a thread by Cap's opponent, John 3rd:

"John, are you going to pick up with your AAR in the CapMandrake game?  Those of us who 'subscribed' hope so.  After all, it's impossible to figure out what's going on from Mandrake's AAR - it's full of talk about randy women in Idaho who study dinosaur ganglions to figure out whether apatosaurs enjoyed amaretto sours."

That research is old news. Yes, dinosaurs did enjoy amaretto sours.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1611
Paris, plaster of - 10/20/2007 6:13:38 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***************SEAC HQ, Ledo, October 5, 1942**************

Gen Pownall: Can you tell me, Col., what progress have 7th Armoured made toward the rail junction?

Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: They report very diffciult going, especially for the Stuarts and lorries, sir. They estimate 25 miles to the rail junction.

Gen Pownall: 25, you say? Why, weren't they only 27 miles 2 days ago?

Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Yes sir. They are encountering many natural obstacles.

Gen Pownall: Blast!.... Still, I am pleased with their effort. The enemy have made no attack at Myitkyina and we have certainly succeeded in pinning the Jap reinforcements at the rail junction...a full division and an armoured brigade. How go the air drops? Are we meeting their needs?

Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Yes, sir, in general I think we are but there was an emergency request from the chief medical officer of 7th Armoured just his morn. It seems they are desperately short of plaster of Paris.

Gen Pownall: Plaster of Paris? Oh dear God! It must be Hell.
May God protect them.

Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Yes sir, may He.

Gen Pownall: May he what, Col.?

Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Oh, no sir. It wasn't a question sir. I simply meant "may He", sir.

Gen Pownall: Look, Col., I am busy man. Let's not talk in code, shall we? Are you asking my permission that he may do something?

Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Oh, no sir. I shouldn't think it necessary, sir. I was simply agreeing with your sentiment, sir.

Gen Pownall: And what sentiment was that, Col.?

Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Well, sir. <beads of sweat break out on his stiff upper lip> That He may..or..might, perhaps.

Gen Pownall: Who is "he", Col.? <now clearly irritated>

Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: Why, God, sir.

Gen Pownall: Look, Col., I shan't have my officer's invoking God's name falsely. Is that clear? I shan't warn you again....Now, I want you compose yourself and answer this simple question. Who is the "he" of which you speak?

Generic British HQ Staff Officer, hair neatly trimmed and well oiled, uniform meticulously pressed by one of 3 Indian servants in his employ: <now consumed with pallor, wet stains under his arms, a schoolboy trauma which had been supressed for 20 years is recalled> Gu---Gu--Gu--GuGu--Gu-Gu--Gu.........

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 10/20/2007 6:17:42 PM >

Post #: 1612
Henderson field - 10/20/2007 6:21:31 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Oh yes, the topiary last time looked like Henderson Field, except it was oriented in a strict North/South layout. Pretty thin too...at most level two.

Post #: 1613
RE: Henderson field - 10/20/2007 6:29:48 PM   
Nemo121

quote:

it was oriented in a strict North/South layout.

with an almost military precision I'd say. Now that's dedication to wargaming.

Post #: 1614
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 8:04:11 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Gees, there are WAY too many doctors here for sure .

So far I count a psychiatrist, a paediatrician and a radiologist. I'm presuming Moondawggie is one as well though, what's your specialty? Anyone know of any others?

Throw in a Pathologist....

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1615
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 8:48:07 PM   
Nemo121

quote:

Throw in a Pathologist.... 

If its into a communal grave it'd be my pleasure.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1616
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 9:02:45 PM   
Terminus

Now, now... Dr. Trapasso happens to be a pathologist...

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1617
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 9:06:27 PM   
Nemo121

Terminus,
I know, hence my response .

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 1618
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 9:18:08 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Terminus,
I know, hence my response .

Ouch!

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1619
RE: Those pesky sauropod ganglia... - 10/20/2007 9:18:59 PM   
Terminus

That's not very nice...

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 1620
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Boise... Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI