Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Firestone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Operation Firestone Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Firestone - 4/6/2008 9:54:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

After Nandi falls, the carriers are not needed as acutely at Fiji, so Chet sends them sprinting right across a Jap lake toward Canton. On the first day, they are apparently not spotted. On the second day, there is a welcoming committee from Baker and the three carrier TF's straggle a bit so there is no uber CAP. 21 Wildcats go up against an equal number of zeroes. The CAP is effective and the AAA pretty hot but one Betty finds his mark. A second raid later also scores a hit.

Saratoga remains in the battle...the four carriers join off Canton the next day. On the 20th, 60 Zeroes and many bombers, again from Canton go in against the landing forces but are severely mauled and
achieve nothing.

On the 19th, KAGA is spotted off Flores by the little people. Looks like Chet will have another week without the KB in his hair.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/6/2008 9:55:33 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2161
Baker ain't much - 4/6/2008 9:58:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I suppose you could base heavy bombers on Baker Is. but I'm not sure where you would put the level 3 port and the service area for 150-200 planes. Dont forget to bring a desalinator and something to eat.

Modern view of Baker. I think you can see a runway outline.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/6/2008 10:03:46 PM >

Post #: 2162
Rendezvous - 4/11/2008 5:45:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Somewhere in the North Pacific, December 27, 1942*********

A large ship with a curious flight deck slices Eastward at flank speed. A funnel disgorges smoke downward on her starboard.

Post #: 2163
RE: Rendezvous - 4/11/2008 6:55:14 PM   
BrucePowers

This war seems to be heating up on all fronts...........

Post #: 2164
Big map on wall - 4/11/2008 7:36:55 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********CENTPAC HQ, Pearl Harbor, December 27, 1942*************

Adm. Nimitz: Husband, have your staff run a time-distance analysis. Start with all 4 Jap fleet carriers at last known position of Kaga off Flores, afternoon of the 19th. I want to know a worst case scenario of when they could first be in position to threaten our forces off Canton. Assume they proceed at flank speed and assume they move in unison, which is their habit. They were not seen in the Banda Sea by the Coronados or Forts at Darwin, so plot their movement to the North around Sulawese. They would want to remain undectected. They will outstrip their oilers and they would be unlikely to have sufficient fleet oilers available en route, so assume at least two refuelings in port..perhaps....<walks to map>..Davao and..Palau. I think that would require the better part of a day in each. Put them west of Canton, out of our search range from Palmyra, probably 300-350 miles to use their range advantage. When can they be there...that is the question.

Adm. Kimmel: I'll have them get right on it.

Adm. Nimitz: Splendid! I see fireworks on the horizon.

Adm. Kimmel: <moves excitedly to the window> Where sir? I do so love fireworks.

Adm. Nimitz: <rubs temples with fingertips> Husband, Husband. It's just an expression. It's midday for Christ's sake. Say, I don't suppose you have a nickname or something? No offense, but that is just a stupid first name. I hate stupid names.

Post #: 2165
RE: Big map on wall - 4/11/2008 10:49:38 PM   
Terminus

"Hubby", perhaps?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 2166
RE: Big map on wall - 4/12/2008 2:37:21 AM   
BrucePowers

Or Hubs? Nah, Hubby is better

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2167
RE: Big map on wall - 4/12/2008 3:24:13 AM   
USSAmerica

Hussy? 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 2168
RE: Big map on wall - 4/12/2008 4:17:44 AM   
BrucePowers

Ooh, I like that one too.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 2169
RE: Big map on wall - 4/12/2008 4:31:07 AM   
marky

i think his nickname at the academy was Hubby

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 2170
RE: Big map on wall - 4/12/2008 4:38:43 AM   
marky

His nickname WAS Hubby at the academy, and Adm Harold Stark called him "Mustapha"

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 2171
Praise the Lord...... - 4/12/2008 6:51:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

...and passed the curried Spam

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2172
RE: Praise the Lord...... - 4/12/2008 6:53:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

BTW...."Hubby" seems kind of Ghey too

Post #: 2173
LGTB - 4/12/2008 7:04:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Editor's Note (Designated LGTB boardmember):

As the designated LGTB representative to the Board, I feel compelled to respond to the childish and offensive buffoonery on display here. First, that IS NOT how you spell "gay". Secondly, I object to the denigration of Admiral Adams. If she/he chose to serve in the Navy that is her/his choice and should not by criticized by the small minded. He was evidently an Admiral trapped in a cabaret singer's body. That is just the way he was made. I don't see anything funny about it. As for Neslon Eddy, I honestly did not know that, but I don't see that as anything to snicker about. I intend to make a motion at the next Board meeting to have this offensive, adolescent rant permanently clo...<POOF>

Post #: 2174
RE: LGTB - 4/12/2008 10:02:46 PM   
BrucePowers

I was just inquiring for more information

Post #: 2175
Whitehall - 4/14/2008 8:08:30 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2176
RE: Whitehall - 4/14/2008 8:11:45 PM   
bobogoboom

someone got drunk with a plasma cutter it's going to take a little longer

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 2177
RE: LGTB - 4/15/2008 5:56:15 AM   
Alikchi2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Editor's Note (Designated LGTB boardmember):

As the designated LGTB representative to the Board, I feel compelled to respond to the childish and offensive buffoonery on display here. First, that IS NOT how you spell "gay". Secondly, I object to the denigration of Admiral Adams. If she/he chose to serve in the Navy that is her/his choice and should not by criticized by the small minded. He was evidently an Admiral trapped in a cabaret singer's body. That is just the way he was made. I don't see anything funny about it. As for Neslon Eddy, I honestly did not know that, but I don't see that as anything to snicker about. I intend to make a motion at the next Board meeting to have this offensive, adolescent rant permanently clo...<POOF>

I think it is LGBT.. the acronyms keep getting switched around

BTW, excellent writing sir. I'm in the process of catching up.

Post #: 2178
RE: LGTB - 4/15/2008 8:13:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

I think it is LGBT.. the acronyms keep getting switched around

BTW, excellent writing sir. I'm in the process of catching up.

Ahh. Thanks for that. When it comes to that acronym, I have a hard time remembering what goes in front and what goes in back

Thanks also for the feedback. It helped my spirits after I was prison-raped by the tragically misnamed "Alternative Minimum Tax" and had to cough up antother $6,000 to the Feds

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 2179
Cool Map - 4/15/2008 8:22:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Paint.net is a serious improvement over MS Paint. Thanks to whoever recommended that. An "oil paint" effect applied to a NASA World Wind overhead shot.

Northern Burma is in the balance and the stakes are high. The Allies have pummeled Rangoon airfield and have achieved air superiority. Indian IVth Corps was cut off for a week when the Jap 39th beseiged Myitkyina. This has been remedied but the combat power opposing the Indian IVth is substantail. The Japs caught on the jungle trail opposing 7th Armoured are trying to pull back, but they are being pounded by 10th Air Force and by the Wellys of the RAF. If III Armoured Corps can push them back, then the Japs West of Myitkyina will be cut off.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2180
RE: Cool Map - 4/15/2008 9:40:39 PM   
bobogoboom

purdy

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 2181
RE: Cool Map - 4/16/2008 10:57:49 AM   
Alfred

All very good, but what about the dinosaur bones?  Is the dig still safe?

Alfred

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 2182
EIR - 4/16/2008 9:43:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********SEAC HQ, Ledo, 09:40, december 30, 1942****************

Gen. Pownall: Have we heard from Warren. When will he commit his tanks to the attack? There are 90,000 Japs West of Myitkyinia I hope to encircle.

Aide: He is ready sir, save the EIR.

Gen. Pownall: <frowns slightly and thinks to himself> "EIR....hmmm....Electronic Intelligence...?" <finally, he can stand it no longer> Look, damnit! Haven't I asked that we dispense with the acronyms? What is with you people and the acronyms? Please tell me what 'EIR' stands for.

Aide: Yes, sorry sir. It stands for 'Environmental Impact Report'.

Gen. Pownall: What on Earth is that?

Aide: It's the fossil beds sir. Apparently the battle area is riddled with a superb collection of hadrosaur bones. Nests, fossilized eggs, the whole lot. The SPCA have filed suit...Oh, sorry sir. That is the Society for..

Gen. Pownall: the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals..yes, yes. Do you take me for a doddering fool?

Aide: Oh no sir. I have never seen you dodder.

Gen. Pownall: Ah, pay no attention. I've been irritable. It's this damn humidity. I really have a terrible problem with chafing. <adjusts his package>

Aide: Yes sir, chafing sir.

Gen. Pownall: It is curious. <turns to look out a window toward the mountains which are covered in white>

Aide: Oh no sir, I've had some serious chafing myself. Many of the men have an odd gait.

Gen. Pownall: Oh? Oh, no not that. I meant the SPCA. I wouldn't have thought dinosaur bones would have been within their scope of interest.

Aide: They've become quite aggressive. All US Army Air Force ASW..err...I mean Anti-submarine patrols now have an SPCA ride-a-long...and they have been harrassing the PM. I understand he has taken to staying in his underground bunker in London day and night....and they haven't proper lavatory facilities..so he must use a chamberpot.

Gen. Pownall: Chamberpot?! Bloody Hell! The poor bastard.

Aide: Indeed! In any event, the order has come directly from Whitehall. No attack until the report is complete.

Gen. Pownall: <turns pensively again toward the window> War is Hell.

Aide: Indeed! That's Sherman isn't it?

Gen. Pownall: Yes, yes I believe it is. <adjusts himself again>

Post #: 2183
RE: EIR - 4/16/2008 10:03:44 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********With the Army of the Ohio, on the high ground near Utoy Creek, Georgia, August 4, 1864*********

Gen. Sherman: <gallops up to hilltop and pulls his horse up abruptly. He appears angry> General, why have you not attacked as I ordered?

Gen. Schofield, Army of the Ohio: <salutes> Sir, it's the Utoy Creek Snail Darter. It's endangered sir. The Georgia Legislature has filed an injunction.

Gen. Sherman: DAMN THE UTOY CREEK SNAIL DARTER! WAR IS HELL! You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. AND THAT APPLIES TO THE DAMNABLE UTOY CREEK SNAIL DARTER AS WELL! <as an aside to his aide> Somebody write that down. It sounded really cool.

ATTACK, GENERAL ATTACK! I will see you next in Atlanta. <turns and gallops off>

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/16/2008 10:05:17 PM >

Post #: 2184
RE: EIR - 4/16/2008 10:52:56 PM   
witpqs

ENDANGERED SPECIES: Pubic enemy No.1

Post #: 2185
RE: EIR - 4/16/2008 11:25:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ENDANGERED SPECIES: Pubic enemy No.1

Indeed! The level of "deforestation" is accelerating. What can be done?! If a teen comes into my office for a sports physical and still has a virgin stand of forest, it is usually because they are trying out for the marching band....everyone else rarely has more than a few days of stubble.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2186
RE: EIR - 4/17/2008 12:01:30 AM   
bobogoboom

they are just being curtious.

and that ladies and gentlmen was just a new low for me.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 2187
RE: Big map on wall - 4/17/2008 6:32:07 AM   
Moondawggie

Sorry I'm a little late here, but I vote the nickname "Hubba-Hubba" for Kimmel---it fits a guy who "so loves fireworks."

Mandrake, the AMT clobbered you too? My sympathies...

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 2188
Galloping - 4/17/2008 8:12:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Editor's Note: *****prepositions omitted to prserve the identity of the writer****

The ***** vignette ***** General Sherman has confused a number ** readers. Several have written expressing strong views ****, as the General was a biped, he could not reasonably have galloped. It is the view ** the Board **** the author, not uncharacteristically we might add, simply omitted the phrase "** horseback". The use ** horses by officers ** rank ** improve mobility was a common practice ** the time.

Post #: 2189
RE: Galloping - 4/18/2008 1:52:51 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Editor's Note: *****prepositions omitted to prserve the identity of the writer****

The ***** vignette ***** General Sherman has confused a number ** readers. Several have written expressing strong views ****, as the General was a biped, he could not reasonably have galloped. It is the view ** the Board **** the author, not uncharacteristically we might add, simply omitted the phrase "** horseback". The use ** horses by officers ** rank ** improve mobility was a common practice ** the time.

Those prepositions can be quite the fingerprint.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 2190
Page:   <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Operation Firestone Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI