Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 7:32:27 AM   
Koffee

Hey All,

The 50% sale, coupled with greater-than-normal disappointment in the new OOTP is sure to bring an influx of former OOTP players to PureSim.

I figured it would be good to have a thread where we can come together and provide tips and share insights while experiencing what PureSim has to offer.

Feel free to add any other pertinent information (OOTP Username, what attracted you to PureSim, etc) in this thread!

In my case, my OOTP username is sfgiants88. OOTP is really my first love, but I have been quite disappointed in the new version. I've heard nothing but good things about Shaun, so I figured I'd give PureSim a try while waiting for OOTP2007.

Looking forward to becoming a part of this community!

< Message edited by Koffee -- 7/3/2006 7:35:34 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 8:10:05 AM   
PadresFan104

Koffee -

Welcome aboard and thanks for the post!! I don't know if you noticed from the other threads, but you won't find much (if any) OOTP bashing around here. Shaun (the developer) is real uncomfortable with that kind of stuff, since he has nothing but complete respect for Marcus and the folks that work on OOTP.

I guess I mention it just so the thread focuses on what is good about PureSim, and not what is bad about OOTP. I'm really not trying to act like thread police, just want the newer folks to know what kind of community we have going on here as it's got a much different feel than most others.

Al

(in reply to Koffee)
Post #: 2
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 9:44:00 AM   
DreamTeams

My OOTP username is DreamTeams. I play both OOTP6.5/12 and PureSim2007 because I enjoy both games. However, OOTP gets the larger share of my playtime because I use it to sim a totally fictional league that I've carefully developed. It's still the most perfect game for my league. But, I've started a separate MLB league with fictional players using Puresim that I enjoy also.

I made my first purchase of Puresim when Shaun finally added an ingame player editor to PS2005. Still I didn't play it much. But, I wanted to support him because I could see that he was listening to his customers. I'll support any sports game developer who chooses to take that road.

This year I purchased PS2007 and continue to play it. What drew me back to the game were the improvements to the ingame that I had been reading about. So, I downloaded a copy of the demo and fell in love with the in-game because it is so much fun. The sound and ball flight animation have enhanced this area of the game so much for me. I'm very happy with the purchase and plan to continue supporting Shaun in his efforts to develop a fine simulation of baseball. He's come a long way, but he's definitely on the right track with his customer base.

How about my experience with OOTP2007? Well its current state of instability is NOT why I purchased PS. Please keep in mind that I purchased PS2007 before the OOTP release. So, I purchased PS on its own merits. It's a fine game. But, you can bet that OOTP's current issues will be addressed if the game is to survive. Regardless, I will say that in my estimation the current OOTP is just not as much fun as previous versions. Especially the ingame, where I spend a considerable amount of time in sports sims. This is coming from a guy who has logged countless hours with the game. From what I've read the 'fun' will not return to the OOTP ingame this version. The developer has said perhaps it'll return in the next version. But, I actually prefer the OOTP6.5/12 ingame to the current version and so I'll continue to play that version and tinker with the 2006 version.

Anyway, I'm happy to see PS getting a boost in popularity and hope these boards continue to develop.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 3
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 1:23:50 PM   
purist

Hi, my OOTP username is justafan. I've been keeping an eye on Puresim for years now but never really got hooked. When this sale came along it made me jump off the fence. I'm glad I did. I've been playing non-stop since midnight Friday. I'm having a blast. This game has come a long way.

Thanks Shaun, for giving me that little push I needed to give this great game a chance.

(in reply to DreamTeams)
Post #: 4
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 3:58:39 PM   
akw4572

I've played both over the years, ootp since v4, and puresim since a couple of versions ago. I've spent more time with ootp, and on their boards than here, or shaun's old site. I'm more attracted to puresim right now with ootp in the state it's in. I manage all my games out, and puresim has more options for me right now. I think Puresim has continued to grow, while I'm not sure on the direction for ootp right now. I may end up playing ootp just as much in the past, but I don't know. I think puresim needs some more moders to attract some customers (I made some parks that are at baseballsimcentral for last version), but I think the sale and the advertising of will get quite a few people to take the plunge.

(in reply to purist)
Post #: 5
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 4:19:48 PM   
Nukester

Hi All, Nukester from the OOTP boards

With the price drop, I decided to give PureSim a shot. Ive been playing OOTP since version 2. I play 99% "what-if" historical leagues (solo), so all of the new bells and whistles of "game worlds" is lost on me with OOTP. I will probably never use any of that new stuff. Figured Id come here and see if this game is better for my historical needs.

I had a few hours to play around with Pureim last night (yes, I have OOTP2006), trying to get used to everything. A couple of things that I was wondering about with PureSim historicals (Im sure there will be more, but these stuck out after only a little while with the game:

OOTP is very customizable. PureSim seems to be too, but it seems a bit more cryptic as to what needs to be done (that is probably only because it is NEW to me :)). For instance, if I wanted to edit the Lahman DB to use in PureSim, what do I need to edit ? There seemed to be (and I cant confirm this now because Im at work) a bunch of tables added in that are not in the original DB, with names something like PSBatting, and PSPitching (or something like that). What is the difference between those tables and the normal Lahman tables ?

Also, is there no way to start a historical league with an inaugrial (?) draft, without having to rename all of the teams and cities ? I saw a way to start a historical leage using the correct teams, but it didnt look like you could do a draft with that league (started right at Spring Training). The only way I saw to do it was to have the game create a bunch of fictional teams. Then you could do a draft for historical players, but would have to rename and edit everything else. Is there no easy way to do this ?

Something else I couldnt find (and which was a pet peeve of mine in OOTP versions past, before OOTP2006) was being able to have financials on, but with no Free Agency. didnt see a way to do it. Can you ?

Next, I imported the 1903 season, and had the roster size set to the smallest size(35 man I think ?). I ran a test season to see how out of whack the SB's and K's would be (because of the lack of data for the early years in the Lahman DB) and noticed fictional guys at the top of my leaderboard. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

After noticing the fictional players, I said to myself, Ok its like this years OOTP where you are forced to have fake guys in your real life league. Just my 2 cents, but that sucks royally. So I looked around the forum and found the Deadball.xml file in the 3rd party add ons section. At first it didnt work, but then I found a missing line and changed soemthing else (the puresim.xml had a line saying something about the demo and the deadball one was missing this line. Once I put it in it didnt blow up when told the game to use that engine). I also changed the line above or below it. Deadball.xml had a "369" in part of the line and puresim.xml had it as "370" so I changed it to "370"

Skimming thorugh the xml file I saw the part about setting the file to produce "super scrubs" for fictional players. Everything was set to create 100% superscrubs, but all of my league leaders were fictional, certainly not "super scrubs". Maybe I missed something, but is that working the way it should ? Ill try again tonight....

Anyway, figured Id go ahead and see what this game was all about

< Message edited by Nukester -- 7/3/2006 4:22:23 PM >

(in reply to Koffee)
Post #: 6
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 7:32:46 PM   
PadresFan104

Nukester -

I'm not an expert on the game engine (can't address the Lahman question), but I'll address some of your other questions and observations.

- No, there is no way to start the sim with a historical import if you want to be able to have an innagural draft. You're not missing anything, just a design limitation at this point.

- No, there is no mode that has financials on, but free agency off. It's either off (all players' contracts are reserve clause) or on (free agency).

- Regarding the fictional players in an historical association. I haven't tried it, but I know Shaun made a change at some point in this years development (maybe it was in a beta patch?) that gives the user the ability to choose the "level" of fictional players that are added. One of the choices is "Scrubs" to take care of the situation you mention. Did you see this dialog when you created your association?

Al

< Message edited by PadresFan104 -- 7/3/2006 7:34:39 PM >

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 7
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 7:56:00 PM   
Nukester

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

Nukester -

I'm not an expert on the game engine (can't address the Lahman question), but I'll address some of your other questions and observations.

- No, there is no way to start the sim with a historical import if you want to be able to have an innagural draft. You're not missing anything, just a design limitation at this point.

- No, there is no mode that has financials on, but free agency off. It's either off (all players' contracts are reserve clause) or on (free agency).

- Regarding the fictional players in an historical association. I haven't tried it, but I know Shaun made a change at some point in this years development (maybe it was in a beta patch?) that gives the user the ability to choose the "level" of fictional players that are added. One of the choices is "Scrubs" to take care of the situation you mention. Did you see this dialog when you created your association?

Al

thanks for the info. I did see the ability to choose the level of fictional players in the .xml file. Is there somewhere actually in-game to do this ? I have no problem editting the xml file. Just curious.

However, in the xml file, all fictional players should have been "super scrubs", but I was having fictional players at the top of my leaderboards. It was late and i was kind of bleary eyed by this time, so maybe did something wrong with the league creation (maybe I created the league first, then went into the game and switched engines ? Dunno, maybe. Ill try again tonight).

If I remember correctly however, the tab to change the engine from "default" to the "deadball.xml" enigine doesnt appear until after the league is started, so the original "default" engine created the initial scrubs, then after that the deadball scrubs would be created. Perhaphs I need t rename the deadball.xml file to puresim.xml file and create the league that way ?

Post #: 8
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 8:00:04 PM   
PadresFan104

No, no XML editing should be necessary. There is a dialog box that *should* appear when you are creating your association, just before the game generates the players to fill in the minors. I'll try it out later today so I can tell you exactly when it appears.

Ok, just tried it out with version 1.18. Set up a Historical Replay starting in 1900. I did not get the dialog box I was expecting (oops!) and yes, I got some fictional players who were good enough to send some regulars down to the minors.

Maybe someone else can jump in and help out. I know that feature is there....

< Message edited by PadresFan104 -- 7/3/2006 9:10:39 PM >

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 9
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 10:02:18 PM   
Nukester

Thanks PadresFan. By the way, I only patched up to 1.1. I didnt get any of the beta patches. Do you recommend getting them ? Dont want to hijack the thread any more, so Ill try it out when I get home (in about 2 hours) and see if I did something wrong, and start a new thread on my adventures. From reading the forum, it doesnt seem many people are playing with historical "what-if" leagues. Id still like to know more about the way the game incorporates the Lahman DB with imports (if there is any difference between the PS type tables and the normal Lahman tables).

This is where I found the info about the "scrubs and super scrubs". :

quote:

<DISTRIBUTION_SEEDED>

<!-- Works like DISTRIBUTION_REPLAY -->
<POOL_SIZE mult="1.3"/>

<!-- By default we don't generate any decent fictional players when using real players -->
<STANDARD_PLAYERS percent_init="0" percent_each_year="0" age_roll="7d4+12" age_roll_rookie="2d5+25"/>
<YOUNG_PLAYERS percent_init="0" percent_each_year="0" age_roll="1d4+17" age_roll_rookie="1d6+17"/>

<!-- Note some scrubs are generated each year regardless of what you enter here -->
<SCRUB_PLAYERS percent_init="0" percent_each_year="0" age_roll="7d4+12"/>
<SUPER_SCRUB_PLAYERS percent_init="100" percent_each_year="100" age_roll="4d4+22"/>

<!-- For scubs mult is a multiplier x num teams in league -->
</DISTRIBUTION_SEEDED>

Post #: 10
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 10:09:33 PM   
PadresFan104

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nukester

Thanks PadresFan. By the way, I only patched up to 1.1. I didnt get any of the beta patches. Do you recommend getting them ?

Heck ya. I recommend that everyone who has recently purchased patch up to 1.18. Lots of good stuff and as stable as 1.1 as far as I can tell.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 11
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 10:24:20 PM   
rwd59

Longtime OOTP player who bought Puresim 2004 and have now bought the new version. I am looking to see if this game can fill my baseball needs since OOTP in its present incarnation cannot. Now for a question. I don't want fictionals in my historicals if at all possible. I don't mind them in the minors to fill out my rosters but want to make the chance of them making the majors almost non-existant (I know it will always be possible but want to limit it as much as possible). I noticed in the XML section from the post above that scrubs were set at 0 and super scrubs at 100. Which one of these setting makes for a worse player? The term super scrub sounds better than scrub but it may not actually be true in the game. A little help please.

edit- I opened up my xml and found that super scrubs are worse than scrubs. I have found scrubs created with pretty good ratings however in spite of them being superscrubs.

< Message edited by rwd59 -- 7/3/2006 11:17:00 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 11:07:25 PM   
PadresFan104

I believe that scrubs will sometimes be better than real players, but Super Scrubs are there just to be minors filler.  I'm sure Shaun will clear all of these questions up the next time he come around.

(in reply to rwd59)
Post #: 13
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/3/2006 11:33:11 PM   
Nomo Ootp

Quite a few new Puresim players..... I am Sandman on the OOTP boards - although I have deleted the link to the site from my favorites and plan on sticking to the Puresim boards......

It was disappointing to see all the negativitiy on the other board. I kept out of it and just read the posts until I decided enough was enough....... hence the nomo OOTP....

I have nothing bad to say about OOTP. I was invited to the beta team but had to drop out in December and did not return to the boards until May. OOTP has been a good experience for me and I still plan on using 6.5 and CATOBASE. I play fictional leagues and while the new OOTP game sounds very promising there are just too many issues and the game itself is just not fun for me. Nothing about the game - I just don't like it. BTW, I bought the first version of Puresim and also found that it was not as fun for me as OOTP so it is just a personal preference and not a slam against either game creator. Both have provided me with many hours of enjoyment. I have played EWB, Baseball for Windows, Tony LaRussa, Old Time Baseball, DMB, PTP (in 1987). So I guess I buy the game that is best for me at the time.....

Why did I go back to PS - Simplicity.... the game is quite entertaining, and yet simple to play and to go through the menus without screwing things up. Yet it offers you the ability to make the changes to your association to get the game results and history to your liking..... I still rate this game a bit lower than OOTP 6.5, but with 6.5 being a lame duck program with no future, I feel that Puresim will surpass it and keep me satisfied with my gaming habits for quite some time. On a scale 1-10 with 1 being lame and 10 being perfect I put OOTP at a 7 for game play and Puresim a 6. For Future game play you gotta go with Puresim and I give Shaun a 8 in this area.... btw - no game is perfect so I give no 10's ever.....

Regards,

Steve Rohde aka Sandman
nomo OOTP

Post #: 14
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/4/2006 2:32:42 AM   
SpharV2

One thing I like is that we seem to be getting a better class of OOTP players. I played in some online 6.5 leagues and enjoyed it, but I couldn't handle being on the boards because of the way so many people on the boards acted. I don't understand why some people feel the need to use a game's BB to try and make themselves seem important or denigrate other people. It's something that's only happened on the PS boards once or twice, and it was quickly squashed. So, welcome to the boards, I'm glad to see you all supporting this game.

(in reply to Nomo Ootp)
Post #: 15
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/6/2006 12:11:09 AM   
rwd59

I'm over from OOTP. Any others like me who came over to see if this game can satisfy our needs with the new direction of OOTP?

(in reply to SpharV2)
Post #: 16
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/6/2006 12:13:04 AM   
Claymore Cut

quote:

ORIGINAL: rwd59

I'm over from OOTP. Any others like me who came over to see if this game can satisfy our needs with the new direction of OOTP?

Cough...Here...Cough...

(in reply to rwd59)
Post #: 17
RE: A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players - 7/6/2006 12:38:01 AM   
fenrrris

Hey everyone. I'm also over from OOTP (same name, few posts) and, while I personally think OOTP 2006 is a fine game, the 50% off sale was too good an offer to pass up. Puresim has had instant appeal. I think the game captures a genuine and unique baseball spirit that is obscured by the technical magnitude of OOTP. As much as I love managing a team through every tiny quandary and crisis, there's something equally gratifying to kick-starting a golden age Dodgers franchise and enjoying a baseball day-dream: Home runs on a dark night in Ebbets field, the resolving crack of a bat, or the majesty of a dominating mound performance. The simplicity with which Puresim accomplishes its task is definitely to be applauded.

Puresim has won my consistent support.
Now I'm a little frustrated that I've got to spring for two baseball sims a year.

< Message edited by fenrrris -- 7/6/2006 12:39:53 AM >

(in reply to Claymore Cut)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> A Thread for Transitional OOTP Players Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI