Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TCP/IP problems - please help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Crown Of Glory Support >> TCP/IP problems - please help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TCP/IP problems - please help - 7/6/2006 7:43:01 PM   
Russian Guard

Greetings,

Trying to connect with a friend via TCP/IP, here's what happens:

1) I'm the host - I start the process as described by TCP/IP FAQ, above.

2) After inputting the IP and selecting host, the set-up screen appears, although my computer name isn't used (instead of "David" it calls me "server" - may not mean anything, but I thought it would use my computer name - I tried changing it to something obvious, like "Napoleon" but still calls me "server", is that as expected?)

3) My friend does his thing (inputs my IP and clicks "join") and he appears as a player on my set-up screen - his name is there, I'm listed as "server" (see above)

4) My friend clicks a flag and then clicks the appropriate box next to his name, to select his Nation. I do the same.

5) The game freezes for about 30 seconds...then his chosen flag appears in the box it should. My flag does not appear. Then after about 5 seconds, his flag pops back up to its top location and my friend is booted from the game.

We have not been able to get past this point, no matter what we try. As soon as he selects a flag, the same thing happens as described above. Even if I do not choose a flag, just him, the same thing happens.

I have disabled all firewalls, even the Windows firewall, and he has also done so. No affect.

We tried him hosting and I can't connect to the game, I do not get a lit-up "join" button. He noted that he is also called "server" instead of his computer name.

Any advice or comments are very welcome. Thanks!

Post #: 1
RE: TCP/IP problems - please help - 7/6/2006 9:57:22 PM   
Wolfiehill

Check the LAN detailed battle bug thread. You are wasting your time anyway until its patched.

We are playing LAN with no connect problems (using TCP/IP).

We did have a problem with Norton at first with results similar to yours. If either of you has Norton on auto protect try disabling it.

Good Luck.

Wolfie

(in reply to Russian Guard)
Post #: 2
RE: TCP/IP problems - please help - 7/7/2006 5:24:41 PM   
ericbabe

It does call the server computer "server"; that is expected.

Since you can't see your friend's computer when he tries to host, the problem may be that he needs to configure his router.  He may be connecting to you properly, but when you try to communicate with him it may be that his computer is not accepting packets from you as the server.  He may need to put his computer's network IP address in the router's DMZ, or else configure NAT (network address translation) or port forwarding on his router.

(in reply to Wolfiehill)
Post #: 3
RE: TCP/IP problems - please help - 7/7/2006 7:27:09 PM   
Russian Guard

Thanks Eric - we did isolate the problem to his computer, as last night I was able to connect and play a few test turns with another friend (whom I also convinced to buy the game - unabashed self-congrats ) I'll pass along your suggestions.

However, we did have a problem playing, one I haven't read about in the forum (although it may have been discussed and I missed it).

Everything seemed to work fine until we played a detailed battle. The played Nations were Russia and Austria, not allied but both at war with France (we had broken the alliance just testing out game commands, including forcing access). AI France attacked us both in Styria. The battle went great (game-mechanics-wise) until the following sequence:

* The Russians routed en masse and headed for the hills - so far so good
* The Austrians "sounded the retreat" and starting breaking and leaving the field

The problem was, I was seeing the "Austrians Sound The Retreat" message at top of screen, and watching his units break and rout. The Austrian player, however, was still moving his units and attacking, he wasn't seeing what I was seeing at all.

Once this state occured, after all Alliend units routed from the field (as I saw it) the game seemed locked in a "feedback loop" where he was merrily playing and battling and I was looking at French units dancing around all by themselves.

I am aware that a new patch is pending (any news on that release?). Does this sound like packets were dropped?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 4
RE: TCP/IP problems - please help - 7/10/2006 8:03:10 PM   
Russian Guard

Questions, questions...lost in the mists of time...

Post #: 5
RE: TCP/IP problems - please help - 7/11/2006 6:45:05 PM   
ericbabe

Sorry, I haven't been able to check the forums every day as of late. 

This does sound just like the problem with detailed combat we've had reported.  I think it's a bug I introduced in one of the patches (part of fixing a much smaller problem) as we never saw anything like this during beta testing.  I've written a fix for it which is still in the preliminary testing stages.  Glad to hear you were able to get your connection working.

Post #: 6
RE: TCP/IP problems - please help - 7/11/2006 8:03:18 PM   
Russian Guard

No need to apologize - your attention to the forums is well-documented and appreciated.

I guess we'll wait for the release of the next patch. I have heard differing views here, on when that's expected to be released. Since you mention that a fix is in the "prelim" stages of testing, I will assume that a patch is still some weeks away.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Crown Of Glory Support >> TCP/IP problems - please help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI