Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

North Africa Campaign vs. PO?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> North Africa Campaign vs. PO? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/10/2006 7:35:07 PM   
PaladinSix

As I'm (finally) finishing off the Wehrmacht in Bob Cross' D-Day/France 1944 scenario, I've begun to look around for another challenge. I'd like to stay in the World War II era, since I've gained some familiarity with unit capabilities, and I'd like something fairly large and complex.

The six TOAWIII scenarios dealing with North Africa seem promising, but I can't find any notes regarding their suitability for PO play. I've read that some scenarios (Fire in the East, for instance) don't work too well against the computer, since Elmer has a hard time managing objectives in the bigger scenarios. Anyone know if the North Africa campaign works reasonably well with the PO? Also, for a moderate challenge, would it be better to play as the Axis or Commonwealth forces?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a fairly large scenario that is designed with a programmed opponent in mind?

PaladinSix
Post #: 1
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/10/2006 8:28:42 PM   
ralphtricky

El Alamein 42. It's programmed for the British PO.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 2
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/10/2006 8:38:40 PM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaladinSix
Alternatively, can anyone suggest a fairly large scenario that is designed with a programmed opponent in mind?

PaladinSix

As a newbie TOAW player (hooked on Grigsby's "War In Russia") I'm having a blast in Todd Klemme's The Great War 1914-1918 scenario...

While there are Victory Point locations, the primary way to win this game is to break the will of the opposing force. Capturing the capitol city of most nationalities in the game will result in that country's surrender and withdrawl from the war. This applies to every nation except Germany, Russia, Serbia, Belgium, and England (which cannot be attacked by the Central Powers because of the British control of the seas). NOTE: At some point in 1917 there is a very good chance that the Czar will fall and be replaced by a provisional government. There is a very high chance that a few turns after that the Bolshevik Revolution will cause Russia to withdraw from the war.

It's on the Rugged Defense site

Map size and unit density of managable proportions for a newb like me, but with a decent PO (especially the Central Powers PO) and the complexity of handling several fronts at the same time.
In the West it's defend/fortify/counter attack d/f/c etc ... While in the East there's room to manouvre

Orirginally written for COW but converted to TOAWIII by opening and saving it in the editor.

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 3
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/10/2006 9:18:28 PM   
PaladinSix

Thanks, I'll give both of those a try next.

PaladinSix

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 4
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/10/2006 9:44:10 PM   
sol_invictus

You know, it is the WWI scenarios that I am most looking forward to playing when my copy gets to me this week. I really have little or no interest in going over WWII again; I want something fresh that I haven't gamed before. I am also looking forward to playing the monster Franco-Prussian War scenario.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 5
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/11/2006 10:55:31 AM   
dobeln

Yea, WWI and pre-WWI (I.e. Balkan Wars) are a lot of fun. For a quick, very hard game against the PO, playing the Ottoman in the 1912 war or Bulgaria in 1913 is rewarding!

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 6
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/12/2006 5:33:26 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

As I'm (finally) finishing off the Wehrmacht in Bob Cross' D-Day/France 1944 scenario, I've begun to look around for another challenge. I'd like to stay in the World War II era, since I've gained some familiarity with unit capabilities, and I'd like something fairly large and complex.

The six TOAWIII scenarios dealing with North Africa seem promising, but I can't find any notes regarding their suitability for PO play. I've read that some scenarios (Fire in the East, for instance) don't work too well against the computer, since Elmer has a hard time managing objectives in the bigger scenarios. Anyone know if the North Africa campaign works reasonably well with the PO?

The PO has been fully programmed for all six of the CFNA scenarios. However, note that the very large map, coupled with the comparably low unit count AND a flank hanging in mid-air makes it very difficult for the PO to do well. It can still make for a fun practice outing, though.

quote:

Also, for a moderate challenge, would it be better to play as the Axis or Commonwealth forces?

The Axis is the bigger challenge in most cases (especially in the El Alamein setup), but the earlier scenarios give him a better chance (particularly the one that starts with Graziani's offensive).

quote:

PaladinSix

I can also suggest my "The Next War 1979", "Okinawa 1945" (Japanese PO in particular), "Germany 1945" (German PO in particular), and "Cambrai 1917" scenarios. And, of course, you've already tried "France 1944".

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 7
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/12/2006 6:18:03 PM   
PaladinSix

Thanks for the details. I'll give the North Africa campaign a try, and if the PO struggles a little bit, thats OK, since I'll probably struggle a little bit as well.

Cambrai looks intriguing too, but the WWI scenarios I've tried tend to decline into bloody slugging matches. Realistic of course, but I prefer maneuver warfare.

PaladinSix

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/13/2006 12:46:31 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

Cambrai looks intriguing too, but the WWI scenarios I've tried tend to decline into bloody slugging matches. Realistic of course, but I prefer maneuver warfare.

That's what WWI was about, unfortunately... However on the East front there's some space to roam around... just try to avoid making the mistakes Samsonow made.

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 9
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/13/2006 1:48:27 AM   
tklemme

"I'm having a blast in Todd Klemme's The Great War 1914-1918 scenario... "

So that's why my ears were burning.

Glad you're enjoying the scenario and I hope it still plays well. I just got my copy in the mail yesterday and am re-reading the manual. I haven't played in years and was frankly never very good. Maybe if I concentrate on playing instead of scenario designing I'll learn to play the game properly.

Todd

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 10
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/13/2006 1:56:04 AM   
PaladinSix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

quote:

That's what WWI was about, unfortunately... However on the East front there's some space to roam around... just try to avoid making the mistakes Samsonow made.

I pride myself on nevering repeating others' historical mistakes. Instead, I find novel ways to make bloody and disastrous mistakes of my own.

PaladinSix

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 11
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/13/2006 2:47:02 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaladinSixI pride myself on nevering repeating others' historical mistakes. Instead, I find novel ways to make bloody and disastrous mistakes of my own.

PaladinSix

Same here! Sometimes I get obsessed by a certain target ... which turns out bad and a great deal of my forces get wiped out... a classic case of "Stalingraditis"

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to PaladinSix)
Post #: 12
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/13/2006 2:50:25 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: tklemme
Glad you're enjoying the scenario and I hope it still plays well.

I'm new to TOAW and find the flexibility to re-create and represent classic battles and wars excellent! For years I've been roaming around in the steppes of the Soviet Union (Grigsby's WiR) and now like the change of decorum and try to defend my country of birth, albeit on the pc screen

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to tklemme)
Post #: 13
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/13/2006 3:04:30 AM   
tklemme

"...change of decorum and try to defend my country of birth..."

I did at least two other scenarios with Belgium on the map. One is "France 1914" and the other is "Mons 1914". They're probably out there on the internet somewhere.

Todd

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 14
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/13/2006 3:08:05 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: tklemme

"...change of decorum and try to defend my country of birth..."

I did at least two other scenarios with Belgium on the map. One is "France 1914" and the other is "Mons 1914". They're probably out there on the internet somewhere.

Todd

Even better Todd, they're included in TOAWIII

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to tklemme)
Post #: 15
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/13/2006 3:23:02 AM   
tklemme

Ah, so they are. I haven't had time to dig through everything yet.

I don't have any plans to make new scenarios but if I can find the time to relearn the game I'll probably collect my scenarios and give them a going over -- updating them with any gameplay issues that have shown up since they were last updated. I saw some comment somewhere about Balkans 1912 or 1913 not having a computer AI player on one side or some such. I don't remember doing that, but it's been awhile.

Todd

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 16
RE: North Africa Campaign vs. PO? - 7/13/2006 5:04:19 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

Same here! Sometimes I get obsessed by a certain target ... which turns out bad and a great deal of my forces get wiped out... a classic case of "Stalingraditis"

Easy to do. Players are advised to take stock of the whole situation regularly. Do I really need sixteen mechanised divisions in the Dakotas?

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> North Africa Campaign vs. PO? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI