Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2 Newbie ?'s regarding Air units and a word to the wise

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> 2 Newbie ?'s regarding Air units and a word to the wise Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2 Newbie ?'s regarding Air units and a word to the wise - 7/12/2006 12:30:04 AM   
Skeleton

Regarding air units, two questions; when is advisable and when is it not to divide them? Along the same lines, when is it advisable to change operations from day to night? I am not looking for any hard rules, rather preferences and advice from experience. On another note, I have read a few post here and elsewhere from people who are torn about getting this game. I lurked and sat on the fence for eight months or so, unsure about the complexity, the micro management, etc and I have just this to offer anyone who might need a gentle push in the right direction; get it. This game is really "the game" when it comes to grand operational strategy. If you are put off by the price, also know this, this thing is HUGE. I don't know that I can say this about many other titles, but, I can see myself playing this game for years to come. It is that good. Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.
Post #: 1
RE: 2 Newbie ?'s regarding Air units and a word to the ... - 7/12/2006 12:55:47 AM   
ADavidB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

Regarding air units, two questions; when is advisable and when is it not to divide them? Along the same lines, when is it advisable to change operations from day to night? I am not looking for any hard rules, rather preferences and advice from experience. On another note, I have read a few post here and elsewhere from people who are torn about getting this game. I lurked and sat on the fence for eight months or so, unsure about the complexity, the micro management, etc and I have just this to offer anyone who might need a gentle push in the right direction; get it. This game is really "the game" when it comes to grand operational strategy. If you are put off by the price, also know this, this thing is HUGE. I don't know that I can say this about many other titles, but, I can see myself playing this game for years to come. It is that good. Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Here are a few of my general "rules of thumb". Other people are likely to have different ones:

I usually only divide air units:

1 - When I want to transport a "group" via ship. This way if the ships are attacked I can regrow the air unit from a portion rather than lose the entire thing

2 - When I absolutely have to defend several places at once and I don't have multiple air units available. But always remember, air combat in this game favors the side with more planes in the air at one time and one place, so you are usually better moving an entire group from place to place rather than using individual squadrons

Splitting groups into squadrons doesn't appear to reduce the damage that occurs when an airfield receives a naval or aerial bombardment.

I only put planes on night operations when:

1 - I have dedicated night fighters/bombers to use. They tend to have poor daylight characteristics, particularly the early war versions.

2 - My opponent starts to try night attacks and I then need to put up night fighters

The effectiveness of night time bombing was reduced significantly in earlier revisions so for the most part, you won't achieve any useful result from night bombing.

Good luck -

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 2
RE: 2 Newbie ?'s regarding Air units and a word to the ... - 7/12/2006 1:07:54 AM   
invernomuto

As Jap player I seldom divide my air units: usually I need my units at full strenght. I divide them when I need more flexibility or need different A/C on small carriers like CVE. I do not know if Allied tactics are different.
As for night and day operation, night operations are usually bombing missions. Night bombing efficacy was greatly reduced some patches ago, so you need large numbers of bombers to produce some results. Usually night bombing mission are used against bases that are well defended with lot of A/Cs on CAP during daylight. Japanese does not have a decent night fighter and night bombing is really a pain...

Bye.

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 3
RE: 2 Newbie ?'s regarding Air units and a word to the ... - 7/13/2006 12:02:03 AM   
Skeleton

Very good, thanks for the info and advice.

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 4
RE: 2 Newbie ?'s regarding Air units and a word to the ... - 7/13/2006 12:26:04 AM   
Mike Solli

As the Japanese player, I pretty much divide air units for 2 reasons:

1. I always divide my units into chutai when I transport them by ship (which isn't very often).

2. I divide them into chutai when I'm reinforcing my front line units.

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> 2 Newbie ?'s regarding Air units and a word to the wise Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI