Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distance modifyer + supply bug (CoW)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Distance modifyer + supply bug (CoW) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distance modifyer + supply bug (CoW) - 7/16/2006 11:50:34 PM   
Industrial

This is a bug I just discovered in CoW, but as it probably isnt widely known it might aswell be in TOAW III, too

Problem: I tried to reduce the available supply by funneling it through a +distance location, now as soon as that happens (it doesn't matter whether the distance modifyer is directly above the supply point or allong the supply route) the supply will immediately drop to its lowest level, even if the +distance modifyer is just +1.

could we get appropriate supply drops to simulate lower-level supply points?

"The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

<--- aka: Kraut
Post #: 1
RE: Distance modifyer + supply bug (CoW) - 7/17/2006 1:42:23 AM   
golden delicious

Did you place the supply point actually in a distance hex, or behind it? I think the former has been used with success in quite a few COW scenarios.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Industrial)
Post #: 2
RE: Distance modifyer + supply bug (CoW) - 7/17/2006 1:49:14 AM   
Industrial

I tried both, here is a little test scenario, upper 1/3 without a distance modifier, middle with distance modifier on the supply path, lower 1/3rd with distance modifier on supply source.

Attachment (1)

"The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: Distance modifyer + supply bug (CoW) - 7/17/2006 5:24:02 AM   
JAMiAM

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature...

The problem with using distance hexes for supply drops is that the effect needs to be integrated into the scenario with the other various effects that distance hexes have. I'm not saying it's wrong to use them to modify supply lines. In fact, I used them on a revision of SeaLion 1940, to create a range of effects I wanted for offshore supply points, representing the seaborne supply that the invading Germans would have - if they protected them. However, they can often cause as many problems as they solve. What was your design intent, and in which scenario are you trying to use them to force supply drops?

(in reply to Industrial)
Post #: 4
RE: Distance modifyer + supply bug (CoW) - 7/17/2006 8:46:19 AM   
Telumar

I think he refers to the West Front 44 development thread at Szo. He wants to have harbours that serve as a minor supply source by putting the harbour with the supply source in a distant hex. If this isn't what he's looking for this would at least interest me.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 5
RE: Distance modifyer + supply bug (CoW) - 7/17/2006 9:36:10 AM   
JAMiAM

The thing to keep in mind here, is that if you use the distance hexes on the land, it may create more problems than it solves with screwy range inhibitions for artillery and other support assets. It would be safer to put the supply hex in a deep sea hex, adjacent to the port. Even at sea, it may be problematic with naval combat being changed a bit (though, like in SeaLion, it may be the effect you're looking to achieve).

If you're looking for a scaling down of the supply levels, rather than a complete drop, for unconnected (by rail) distance hexes, then that might be possible, but it would be a fairly low priority enhancement at this time. I don't see it as insurmountable though, and the effect could be tied into the value of the distance versus the supply radius.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 6
RE: Distance modifyer + supply bug (CoW) - 7/17/2006 10:51:39 AM   
Industrial

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

If you're looking for a scaling down of the supply levels, rather than a complete drop, for unconnected (by rail) distance hexes, then that might be possible, but it would be a fairly low priority enhancement at this time. I don't see it as insurmountable though, and the effect could be tied into the value of the distance versus the supply radius.

That was exactly what I was trying to do, to have 3 kinds of supply sources, one at full supply (major port) one that starts at one supply level lower (normal) and one at 2 supply levels lower (minor)

For example a major port would have 100 supply, which than dropps to 75,50,25 after the set supply-net length, normal port would start at 75,50,25, minor port at 50,25.

Well, but distance hexes always immediately drop the supply to 25, so that didn't work

Henry Alfred Kissinger

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Distance modifyer + supply bug (CoW) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI