Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! - 7/28/2006 6:57:52 PM   
puresimmer

Matrix and I have reached an agreement that PureSim Baseball 2008 will be published by Matrix Games for a 3rd season. That's great news for me, since I know what the plan is and I can start planning for next year's version.

Matrix has been great to work with and PureSim Baseball 2007 has now far surpassed the sales numbers of any previous version. I think we have some real momentum here! It has been interesting to see all the new faces, and even more interesting to see how sales have picked up so much after a bit of a slow start.

A combination of word of mouth, a poor showing by a competitor in the genre, some more review coverage and the All Star break promotion have really propelled PureSim into a place its never been sales-wise. A nice review in this months PC Gamer magazine should provide a good spike as well. PureSim was rated almost 30 points higher than its primary competition by PC Gamer!

This is the best I have ever felt about PureSim's potential, to the point where maybe this time next year I'll be considering doing this full time :)

I appreciate you guys support and hope to hit one out of the park with PS 2008.

Ok, with that said, consider this your thread to sound off on brand new features, functions, interface changes etc. Basically this will be a thread I will use to help gauge interest on directions I'd like to take the game, along with a place to gather inspiration.

No idea is a bad idea, brainstorming rules apply here. I want to have the high level feature set locked down in the next few weeks so development can begin in August.

Developer, PureSim Baseball
Post #: 1
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 7:14:34 PM   
Amaroq

To 'guide' this discussion, lets run with a 'one idea per post' motif: don't just toss a one-liner out there, give us a paragraph describing what you mean.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 7:16:37 PM   
puresimmer

Yes, good plan.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 3
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 7:24:57 PM   
Amaroq

I'll lead off - I'd like to see an improved text play-by-play capability, specifically getting the play-by-play files out into the community. The Football Manager / OOTP model seems to work fairly well for this: several text files, with a lookup to a random element. So, the result for "Stole second" might look like this:

STEALS_SECOND_FROM_FIRST | 3
%r1 goes... Here's the throw... | SAFE! | %r1 moves himself into scoring position with a steal.
%r1 is running... | The throw to second... | Not in time! | %r1 is safe at second
%r1 takes off... | %c will make the throw... | SAFE! | %r1 barely beat out the throw!

Aspiring authors would be limited to the constant situtations Shaun could describe - STEALS_SECOND_FROM_FIRST, for example, but the next number would tell the game how many items there will be to choose from. Each line item uses "|" as a special character to denote a carriage-return and brief pause for suspense; in this example, the first line item has three lines, while the last two line items have four lines. Each time a specific play result is called for, the game chooses a random set of descriptions of it, and cycles through the possibilities.

The initial shipping game file might contain only 1, 2, or 3 entries for different events (depending on their frequency), but prolific community writers could expand that out to their heart's content, 10, 20, 30.

You might use techniques like having three 'out' results for those stolen base attempts, whose first two lines match the first two of these descriptions, so that the user can't tell from subtle clues in the play-by-play what the outcome will be.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 4
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 7:30:35 PM   
PadresFan104

Allow greater "skinning" of the game.  I don't know where Panzers has gone off to, but his work is amazing and really helps with the presentation of the game.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 5
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 7:45:45 PM   
PadresFan104

Expand the managerial options by giving us the "Run & Hit" in addition to the "Hit & Run", even if there are 2 outs. 

From Wikipedia:
A related play is the less formal run and hit, similar to the hit and run, except with a fast runner on first base who is capable of stealing. The batter is given the option of hitting, with prior knowledge that the runner will be moving with the pitch. This differs from a straight steal in that the batter is encouraged to swing, instead of being prevented from swinging.

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 6
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 7:46:38 PM   
PadresFan104

Don't mess to much with in-game sounds.  It's really good where it is.  

Post #: 7
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 7:48:21 PM   
PadresFan104

Apparently, Action! PC Baseball moves the player names around the field during gameplay.  Might be something to look into as an option in the next release.  I know a few people around here were interested in seeing the ball bounce around to represent throws and the like as well.

Post #: 8
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 7:55:48 PM   
PadresFan104

I would love to see some rare plays in 2008.

- Bounces off his head for a HR
- Balks
- Hit by Pitch (don't know that I've ever seen this... If it's already there, I think it shouldn't happen more)
- Inside the Park HR
- Catchers interference
- Ball hits runner
- Catcher picking off a runner on first (snap throw)
- run downs

Post #: 9
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 7:58:40 PM   
PadresFan104

Add some suspense the cool plays you already have.  For example, there is one particular case where runners will try for an extra base and are thrown out.  Often, this play happens at the plate.  The PbP, however, doesn't have any "panache" with this play.  It simply tells you that the runner tried to take an extra base and was thrown out.

How about:

"Ruth is going to try and score!"
"Here's the throw home from Luzinski!"  (pause for dramatic effect)
"He's Out!"

Post #: 10
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:04:00 PM   
Nomo Ootp

I would like to have the game check for photos by name, even if the player is a fictional player.  I assign faces to my fictional players and at this time I am doing it manually.

Post #: 11
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:04:54 PM   
Abev

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

This is the best I have ever felt about PureSim's potential, to the point where maybe this time next year I'll be considering doing this full time :)

I wish for this more than once a day. Without access to the big picture, I have to believe that daily feedback will improve the PS experience. How many times has there been threads where we just have to guess or assume an answer? Maybe some questions are best left unanswered, but some require a definative response.

Even if its just an ultra basic newbie question, that, with a quick response, keeps them interested and keeps them playing, which makes them a contributor to the message board, which develops a fan, which makes them a repeat customer.

---

+ I would love to see enhanced contract features. Entry level contracts locked in at a nominal amount for players in the league less than 3 years. Before their 4th year, they have a salary request. If the request is met, so be it, if not, the players goes to salary arbitration and gets a binding 1 yr award. In the following year the player is a UFA. Also would love to see Restricted Free Agents. Kind of a mix between the MLB and NHL contract rules.

+ I would like there to be a negotiating period. If a player, who is going to be a FA, asks for $X, and the team wants to give <$X, there can be negotiating. Where the players will seek other offers and give messages like "Atlanta is willing to give $5mil a year for 5 years" when you actually offered $3.5mil. Maybe if you can come close there can be some give on the players part.

+ Amateur draft in JUNE.

+ MORE minors. Yes more. An option to increase to multiple teams per minor level. For example 2 A, 2 AA, 1 AAA.

+ A "Trading Block" list. Each team has a list like a watch list, but its for teams who would consider getting rid of some of their players. Maybe even just having the ability to "mark" players in a list format. Where they only get trade proposals for players on that list. CPU teams could also have this to know who the Human could actually trade for.

+ A "One For One" option. In the league config, a checkbox that will allow one for one trades only.

+ SDK - More access to other tables like a Transaction table where players movement from team to team is available for addins.

+ SDK - Ability to addin to the player card directly, in another tab.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 12
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:07:46 PM   
Abev

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

Add some suspense the cool plays you already have.  For example, there is one particular case where runners will try for an extra base and are thrown out.  Often, this play happens at the plate.  The PbP, however, doesn't have any "panache" with this play.  It simply tells you that the runner tried to take an extra base and was thrown out.

How about:

"Ruth is going to try and score!"
"Here's the throw home from Luzinski!"  (pause for dramatic effect)
"He's Out!"

And with that, more audible feedback from play results. A "jingle" for a home run. A "jingle" for a run scored. Umpire calling every out, whether on the bases or flyballs.

When I manage (rarely) or watch, I keep the text moving fast and cant read it to see what happens.

Post #: 13
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:08:59 PM   
Abev

quote:

ORIGINAL: PadresFan104

Don't mess to much with in-game sounds.  It's really good where it is.  

An option for in game sounds then

Post #: 14
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:10:32 PM   
Nomo Ootp

I would like to see an export/import function available for the player general bio information.  I can see a nice mod being a program like the originator at the ootp site.  One where I can select a country and a names list and it would modify the players general information.  Another idea would be to have an output csv that has the same structure of the player general output in ootp. This way the Originator program could work for this game as it does for OOTP.  Then all that would have to be done is to have the csv file imported back into the Puresim databases...... 

The reason for this request is that I like to play fictional leagues like a Minnesota-Wisconsin league where 80% of the players must be residents of the two states, and 10% from the midwest, and 10% from the rest of the "World".  I also have collected a lot of names sets from various countries and have created my own sets for my own use with another game.  I also have traditional names lists of historical names and would like to use these in Puresim if possible......

(in reply to Nomo Ootp)
Post #: 15
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:15:52 PM   
BauerPower

Game and almanac keeps statistics of batter's career record versus each pitcher.
"Dinglehoffer is lifetime 14-41 .341 with 3 HR versus Rex Razor"

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 16
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:18:35 PM   
BauerPower

I love the expanded team statistics like winning streaks and records versus each team. Put these stats in the almanac so they don't disappear at the end of the season.

The game keeps track of hitting streaks, display them and include them in the almanac.

Baseball fans love the stats and they love being able to see them in the almanac.

(in reply to BauerPower)
Post #: 17
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:25:27 PM   
33sherman

As for stats, career and single-game playoff records would be great. Also a master list of no-hitters, as someone else has suggested.

(in reply to BauerPower)
Post #: 18
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:25:58 PM   
Abev

In the Almanac:

"Similar players", "similar players through age x", Black Ink, Gray Inf, HOF Standards, like in baseball-reference.

(in reply to BauerPower)
Post #: 19
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:27:30 PM   
Nukester

Whatever you do, DONT turn this into World Cup Baseball

(in reply to BauerPower)
Post #: 20
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:31:23 PM   
Nukester

Historical Leagues with initial draft WITHOUT having to go through and rename all of the teams (PureSim Classic but with real teams names and locations instead of fictional ones that need to be re-edited)

or

The ability to dump players to an initial draft in the PureSim Historical Career Mode (Or whatever that mode is called....at work so I dont have the game in front of me)

Wanting a historical initial draft and having to do it through PureSim Classic mode where the names need to be changed is a real pain in the butt.

< Message edited by Nukester -- 7/28/2006 8:53:17 PM >

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 21
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:41:54 PM   
BauerPower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Abev

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

+ I would love to see enhanced contract features. Entry level contracts locked in at a nominal amount for players in the league less than 3 years. Before their 4th year, they have a salary request. If the request is met, so be it, if not, the players goes to salary arbitration and gets a binding 1 yr award. In the following year the player is a UFA. Also would love to see Restricted Free Agents. Kind of a mix between the MLB and NHL contract rules.

+ I would like there to be a negotiating period. If a player, who is going to be a FA, asks for $X, and the team wants to give <$X, there can be negotiating. Where the players will seek other offers and give messages like "Atlanta is willing to give $5mil a year for 5 years" when you actually offered $3.5mil. Maybe if you can come close there can be some give on the players part.

+ Amateur draft in JUNE.

+ MORE minors. Yes more. An option to increase to multiple teams per minor level. For example 2 A, 2 AA, 1 AAA.

I know this is brainstorming and any idea is good, but just my own single opinion on these requests.

I personally think the contracts are good they way they are. Simple, no elaborate rules that just cause new ways for the AI to screw up and release good players. My main concern is not to have realistic financials, the main thing is a game where I don't run away with the league every year. Some years I win it all and some years I finish at the bottom because there is an incredible GM AI that makes shrewd moves that results in good teams that challenge my team for pennant.

For me if you are going to move the draft to June have it an option so people can choose. MLB has the draft in June because that is when the college season finishes, but it is not necessarily the best place for my association.

The same with more minors, make it an option. For me, the minors aren't that much of a big deal. For some it is, and that's great. I don't see the benefit.

I like a challenge, a great struggle to win championships and lots of statistics kept track of. Some people like realistic financials and minor leagues. I know it must be tough to make a game for everyone.

(in reply to Abev)
Post #: 22
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:44:43 PM   
33sherman

quote:

Simple, no elaborate rules that just cause new ways for the AI to screw up and release good players. My main concern is not to have realistic financials, the main thing is a game where I don't run away with the league every year.

I agree.

(in reply to BauerPower)
Post #: 23
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:47:18 PM   
Nomo Ootp

I would like to see the Pitcher position just set to pitcher and the endurance rating removed.  I hate it when I see a 12 endurance on a player and know that he could never start effectively while in real life closers can start, and some can do so effectively.  They just chose to close because they are more valuable in the position.  Perhaps a rating broken down in 3 parts to reflect effectiveness and have a rating for Starting, Relieving and Closing.  That way a pitcher like Smoltz could be 10,8,10 or something to that affect..... 

Bottom line get rid of the pitcher roles and endurance ratings.  If I want to change a guy from a reliever to a starter I think that the guy should be able to go more than 3 innings.....

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 24
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 8:56:30 PM   
Nomo Ootp

Another neat little idea.  Having an association be affiliated with another.  It would be great to have an association that has affliliation with other assoications and have the ability to trade with the other association.  Could possilby have a level rate for each association, this way we could similate FULL MINORS without having the main association bloated plus it allows for the playing of minor league games..... 

This would replicate the minors better -  Have it structured so that a low level league can only be affiliated with a league one level above.  Perhaps have MLEs thrown in so that players that move up to a higher league will not necessarily succeed at that level.....

(in reply to Nomo Ootp)
Post #: 25
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 9:00:51 PM   
Nomo Ootp

Would like to see player development and ratings change throughout the season.  

(in reply to Nomo Ootp)
Post #: 26
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 9:02:18 PM   
Nukester

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomo Ootp

Would like to see player development and ratings change throughout the season.  

yes this would be a fantastic addition in my book

(in reply to Nomo Ootp)
Post #: 27
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 9:05:50 PM   
BauerPower

The ability to to make 3rd base coach decisions. It doesn't make sense to give me the option to advance from 1st to 2nd on a fly ball and not give me the option to advance from 3rd to home on a fly ball or 2nd to home on a single.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 28
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 9:14:25 PM   
Edward

The ability to include CASH in trades.

I also like all of Padresfan104 ideas.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 29
RE: PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming t... - 7/28/2006 9:27:48 PM   
PadresFan104

In game box scores!!  Another key piece of information to have in order to manage effectively.

(in reply to Edward)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> PureSim is on a roll / PureSim 2008 brainstorming thread! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI