Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The issue with Fly Ball Distances

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The issue with Fly Ball Distances Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The issue with Fly Ball Distances - 7/29/2006 8:45:53 AM   
PadresFan104

Shaun - The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that you were on to something when you asked what park I was using when I was seeing the problems of distance in feet not matching up with the visible location. When using the default park, distances look really spot on, but when using my images, they begin to fall apart in the deep outfield, where the perspective (height of pixels) is very different. It really seems like the default image is used as a basis for some calculations and other park images are going to throw this calculation off.

Am I right? If so, is there anything we can do about it? Basically, on stadiums like my Petco Park, due to the different perspective, Deep Fly Balls will be given a much shorter distance than if your default photo had been used and I believe this will affect gameplay when the tag up play is on. It also makes me wonder if it is affecting the likelyhood of doubles and triples on regular hits as well....
Post #: 1
RE: The issue with Fly Ball Distances - 7/29/2006 2:38:06 PM   
puresimmer

I've tweaked this further in 1.26

Don't worry, where you place the hit locations when building a park will not impact things at all from a physics standpoint. Obviously poor placement will hurt with suspension of disbelief. I have spent the last 2 hours looking over / tweaking all the physics code. One cool thing I added was appropriate messages displayed to user and in the game log when a ball hitss the wall. It was always calculating this, but not always displaying it.

The key to making tagup decisions is looking at how PureSim describes the depth. It will say "Shallow" for a really shallow hit, and "Deep" for the ones withing 20ish feet or so of the wall. Normal depth hits will not get an adjective.

So, give 1.26 a whirl and let me know.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 2
RE: The issue with Fly Ball Distances - 7/29/2006 2:44:14 PM   
Hard Sarge

I not sure you been following some of the posts on this

a 318 ft fly to right field gap, can be called a shallow fly, and then next ball hit to the right field gap with a 318 foot deep fly ball

I have seen 280 foot flys in the same part called normal, with 320 being deep and 350 being normal

(now unless the ballparks from PadresFan site have some odd walls, something is not being done right)

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 3
RE: The issue with Fly Ball Distances - 7/29/2006 3:11:01 PM   
puresimmer

Like I said to Padre fan I spent 2 hours in that code this morning and would like him to give 1.26 a whirl when it becomes available.

I think 1.26 does a better job of giving consistent messages with fly ball distances.

Let me know, it should be available today.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 4
RE: The issue with Fly Ball Distances - 7/29/2006 8:47:57 PM   
PadresFan104

Shaun - Really appreciate the deep dive into that code.  It may take a few hours from now, but I'll get you some feedback.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 5
RE: The issue with Fly Ball Distances - 7/30/2006 3:40:53 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

Like I said to Padre fan I spent 2 hours in that code this morning and would like him to give 1.26 a whirl when it becomes available.

I think 1.26 does a better job of giving consistent messages with fly ball distances.

Let me know, it should be available today.

no hassle, was just saying your reply did not seem to follow what had been being posted, thanks for looking in to it

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The issue with Fly Ball Distances Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI