Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 7/29/2006 4:30:36 PM   
Sandrik

Im just posted a scenario on Games Depot, so I hope its there in a few days. It is an TOAW III version of the scenario I did for HPS's MidEast '67. Please send constructive comments to asandrik@bellsouth.net. I may not see comments posted here as I have an ill four month old and don't get to the boards much. Thanks...

Al

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 7/29/2006 7:38:48 PM   
Zeitgeist

I'd be happy to give it a play :)

I plan on running through all of the Israel scenarios :)     

(in reply to Sandrik)
Post #: 2
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/1/2006 2:41:40 AM   
ghostdog

Cant wait to try it!  exactly what ive been waiting for! 

Any chance that Syria will intervene in Lebanon and/or attack Golan?

that would make a neat variant.

(in reply to Zeitgeist)
Post #: 3
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/1/2006 1:21:50 PM   
Sandrik

You're the second person to request this (the other in an E-mail). I didn't put it in as I think the Syrians would be very reluctant to actually get into the fight with an army which is falling apart. However, maybe I need to reconsider that stand. I really don't think Syria would intervine but it might be good for game play if there was a small (5-10%) chance. Or maybe a slight chance tied to an event. let me think about it.

By the way I got a great E-mail with some really good suggestions. I'm going to incorperate some of them over the next few days. Also I noted an error on the Brigade Eng Companies were the unit counter indicates their at Bn strength. I already tweaked that for Version 1.1 I will also change the Hezbollah Garrision Units to Irregulars.

Al

(in reply to Sandrik)
Post #: 4
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/1/2006 11:51:44 PM   
ghostdog

Cant wait to see more variants.  Permit to make a few points.  While Syria is certainly reluctant to intervene in the current conflict, you have to look at a few more angles.

1.  Syria, largely ignored in the conflct other than accusations of support for hezbollah may consider intervention into lebanon.  after the IDF has battered itself in fighting hezbollah, the syrians may enter northern lebanon hoping not to fight but show force.  your scenario could assume combat does occur between them.  you could give this about a 20-35 perent chance maybe.  (remember, syria might not have to win, just bloddy the israelis and make thier campaign seem a waste)

2.  as a last ditch, Syria attacks the golan heights in the hopes that IDF northern command is exhausted and relocated fighting in lebanon.  this could only be about 5-10 percent chance.

(in reply to Sandrik)
Post #: 5
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/1/2006 11:54:29 PM   
Sandrik

The latter is exactly what I was thinking down to the percentages. I think more like 5%.

Al

(in reply to ghostdog)
Post #: 6
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/2/2006 12:35:58 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sandrik

The latter is exactly what I was thinking down to the percentages. I think more like 5%.

5% might be the real figure but having the Syrians come in or not makes a massive difference. I'd suggest you make it more likely, so people who want to play this situation don't have to start twenty games to get to it, or even make it an Arab option. Obviously Hezbollah don't decide what Syria does, but this would I think be the best way to approach it from a game point of view, provided the scenario is balanced both with and without intervention.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Sandrik)
Post #: 7
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/2/2006 12:48:34 AM   
ghostdog

I agree.  we play these games to see "what if", not always "what might".  I dont know a whole lot about scenario design, but if there was a way to build in both intervention scenarios (syria goes into lebanon, syria attacks golan or heck even both!), that would be interesting.  and it would give the arab player more options.  perhaps even add WMD option for Syria, most sources agree they still have Sarin (GB) in thier inventory. 

options for israelis could include:

possible US intervention on Israel's side.  (if syria attacks for example)

or US withdrawl of support.  (this might mean less supplies and replacements)

P.S  im curious why you chose to use M2 Bradley as the main IDF APC?  Israel doesnt have them, I just figured you were trying to aproximate the Achzarit (basically a T-55 modified to be an IFV)?  i think maybe the bradley's anti-tank score i bit high for that, why not use AIFV?

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 8
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/2/2006 12:53:51 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: ghostdog

I agree.  we play these games to see "what if", not always "what might".  I dont know a whole lot about scenario design, but if there was a way to build in both intervention scenarios (syria goes into lebanon, syria attacks golan or heck even both!), that would be interesting.  and it would give the arab player more options.

If necessary there's no reason there couldn't be multiple scenario files.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to ghostdog)
Post #: 9
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/3/2006 6:07:53 PM   
Sandrik

Israel attacking Syria is already a Theater Option, you just have to pay the Political coast (i.e. VPs). So for those wanting to go at Syria just invoke the Attack Syria option.

I just don't see the chances that Syria will decide to will jump in being more than 5 to 10%, and I think that is being generous!!!!!!!!

Al

Post #: 10
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/5/2006 6:53:33 AM   
Ecthelion008

I think Syrian and Iranian intervention should be triggered automatically by Israeli pushes north of the Litani and possibly by the occupation of Tyre.

Also, are you sure about just using TF "A" and so on for all the brigades? According to Wikipedia, Golani consists of:

* Barak Battalion - Gdud 12
* Gideon Battalion - Gdud 13
* "Golani Buds" -
* The Egoz Reconnaissance Unit (a company)
* The First Breachers' Battalion (HaBokaim HaRishon) - Gdud 51

< Message edited by Ecthelion008 -- 8/5/2006 7:00:10 AM >

(in reply to Sandrik)
Post #: 11
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/5/2006 1:49:34 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ecthelion008

I think Syrian and Iranian intervention should be triggered automatically by Israeli pushes north of the Litani and possibly by the occupation of Tyre.

I don't think Iran should intervene at all.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Ecthelion008)
Post #: 12
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/5/2006 6:37:25 PM   
Sandrik

Barak Battalion - Gdud 12
* Gideon Battalion - Gdud 13
* "Golani Buds" -
* The Egoz Reconnaissance Unit (a company)
* The First Breachers' Battalion (HaBokaim HaRishon) - Gdud 51

Not a bad suggestion.  One reason I named them TF's is because I cross assigned the Mech Inf and Armored Bn's in each unit (note each armored TF has only 24 tanks).  Really if you want to get technical I should have used TF Aleph, TF Bet(Beth), TF Gimel (Gimmel) & TF Dadel (and I might do that for Version 2.0)

Al

Post #: 13
RE: Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 - 8/5/2006 11:03:38 PM   
Ecthelion008

I agree that splitting the units based on actual battalion designations is best.  The TF "A" and "B" make things look sort of off.

(in reply to Sandrik)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Israel's WoT 2006 TOAW III ver 1.0 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI