Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Damage vs. Hit Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> Damage vs. Hit Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Damage vs. Hit Question - 8/3/2006 9:14:39 PM   
btaft

I have done a quick search and have not found a clear discussion (possibly because it may be very basic and common knowledge). In watching the battle animations I have notice that often I will see a message that will say "Belt Armor Hit" or "Deck Armor Hit". Sometimes this will be followed by a penetration message or other damage. Is it safe to assume that if there is no secondary damage report that the incoming shell merely just hit the ship and effectively bounced off (therefore being nothing to be concerned about). I suspect this is the case but I wanted to be certain.

Thanks,

Brett
Post #: 1
RE: Damage vs. Hit Question - 8/3/2006 9:46:01 PM   
Tankerace

When the ship is hit, but the armor is not penetrated, no secondary damage is done (in the way of magazine explosion, flooding, etc). However, depend upon the size of the shell in question and the armor struck, some system damage can result. This could be crew casualties, equipment damaged from the explosion, etc.

Usually, ships can take hit after hit on their armor and it only do little damage, and most of it superficially. However, it is when you get penetration messages you need to worry, as something could go boom. However, if a ship takes literally 100 non penetrating hits from large caliber shells, it could be reduced in combat efficiency (slower speed, on fire, etc), and a fire could start which can pose some issues. This can affect the fighting efficiency of the ship, and might scratch the paint, but in general is not life threatening to the ship.  That said, I would keep a check on the ship, as the more sys damage it sustains, the slower it's total speed. This can be bad if the ship is running from bigger ships, bigger guns.

< Message edited by Tankerace -- 8/3/2006 9:51:10 PM >

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to btaft)
Post #: 2
RE: Damage vs. Hit Question - 8/3/2006 9:50:29 PM   
btaft

Thanks!!

I really appreciate the excellent explanation.

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> Damage vs. Hit Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI