Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Leader

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Leader Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Leader - 7/25/2000 3:18:00 AM   
David

I noticed while reading the manual that there are four levels of leaders: Overall Commander Battalion Commander Formation Leader - designated by the 0 Unit Leader - named leader? How are Overall Cdrs, and Battalion Cdrs created? How is their relationship established with subordinate units? [This message has been edited by David (edited July 24, 2000).]

Post #: 1
- 7/25/2000 10:44:00 AM   
Wild Bill

It is a chain of command. The Ai sets it up. When units are purchased, each leader of a unit is the primary key to making the unit do what it should. And it works upward, should he fail, the formation leader gives it a try (if he is in contact with the unit). and so on. Example. A unit takes fire It is suppressed. First it tries to rally itself. Failing that, the unit leader tries to rally it. Should he fail, the formation leader will help with another check. It works downward to, with a unit benefitting from leaders' experience and morale. So leaders do play a role in the success of individual units, conceivably all the way up the line....Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to David)
Post #: 2
- 7/25/2000 2:49:00 PM   
renwor

quote:

Originally posted by David: I noticed while reading the manual that there are four levels of leaders: Overall Commander Battalion Commander Formation Leader - designated by the 0 Unit Leader - named leader? [This message has been edited by David (edited July 24, 2000).]
while I noticed the same, I still couldn't find all my commanders, specificaly the Battailon leader. I understand the unit leader ...one sitting in each tank, leading inf. sqad, commanding a gun. The B0 ..... Z0 AA0 ...... ZZ0 are the formation leader units, so their unit commander is formation commander at the same time ... great, In contact with higher HQ even better. Ok, now there is "overall commander" the leader of A0, which is basicaly players alter ego in the game. BTW I would LOVE an option to rename him, I hate when game assigns some STUPID name to ME!!! Like "Col. Klaus" GRRRRRR BUT WHERE ARE ALL MY BATTAILON LEADERS ??? tsssss huuiiii crackle crackle ... "Bataillon Leaders, batailon leaders announce your possition" tssskrrr **** STATIC **** trrrcrrrr .... Renwor the Confused

(in reply to David)
Post #: 3
- 7/25/2000 3:04:00 PM   
Wild Bill

The reference to "battalion leader" is to the A0 unit. He is the battalion leader or the regimental leader or the head honcho. In the SP series, Colonel is usually as has as you go and the number of units that could be purchased was the equivalent of a battalion. Now your A0 unit can be a divisional commander. You can even make him a general and of course, you can name him. Start the scenario,find the A0 unit in the deploy screen, right-click on it, then click on the A0 name and type in a new one. You would have to do it in the scenario editor to make it permanent. While in the editor, you can make him a general. Just click on the rank and type a 10. Now he will be a general. Be sure and save when you are through. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to David)
Post #: 4
- 7/25/2000 6:55:00 PM   
renwor

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: The reference to "battalion leader" is to the A0 unit. He is the battalion leader or the regimental leader or the head honcho. You can even make him a general and of course, you can name him. Start the scenario,find the A0 unit in the deploy screen, right-click on it, then click on the A0 name and type in a new one. Wild Bill
Ok, so bataillon commander is basicaly what I thought is overall commander, but still I can find only three levels of command in the game, fourth being me at the computer. But I have no comands or rally points, so I don't think I should count. Yes , of course I can rename any UNIT, even the A0. But A0 is six men usually. It would be a bit arrogant to name this unit Lt. Gen. Nabugetarage, leaving remaining five ignored. What I had in mind was possibility to rename a leader of a unit, at least leader of A0 unit, which I still see as myself. I don't want to be a "Col. Klaus" I want to be Col. Renwor. It's particulary true for so called long campaigns. Oh, btw. I just found out why it's called "long campaign" sometimes. I started at 9/39 for the germans with 1500points core. Two years later, in the desert I got my first "defend" mission against british. In this battle, it took half an our for one AI turn. I could make a tea, make a sandwich, drink a tea, eat a sandwich and AI was still assaulting ... oh GOD!!! result: 57 lost germans, 2 AFvs 1585 lost british, 75 AFvs in single battle. As much as I like the campaign "core development" element, I think it was my last "long campaign" battle ever. Wild Bill's scenarios are sooo much more entertaining. Renwor the Frustrated

(in reply to David)
Post #: 5
- 7/25/2000 8:58:00 PM   
Schrubbery

I think the four levels go as follows: A0 - I, myself and me, the overall commander B0 - the commander of a larger formation (battalion, company) C0 - the first platoon's commander of B-formation C1 - a normal squad in C-platoon of B-formation, with Sergeant Rock kicking his men's a## So, it's four. You have to notice that when you buy a battalion or a company, you get that formation an extra leader, which is the second level of command. Click the HQ tent icon to figure your command structure and fight those battalion commanders. Oh, and besides of editing the names of any units, you can also edit the names of any leaders of those units! Just go to the unit screen and move your cursor over the leader's name, and it highlights and you can click to edit it just as when you rename the unit. It's very fun in the long campaign to name all leaders after people your friends, except for that mine-sweeping punishment platoon which gets your boss and other enemies... [This message has been edited by Schrubbery (edited July 25, 2000).]

(in reply to David)
Post #: 6
- 7/25/2000 9:54:00 PM   
renwor

quote:

Originally posted by Schrubbery: I think the four levels go as follows: A0 - I, myself and me, the overall commander B0 - the commander of a larger formation (battalion, company) C0 - the first platoon's commander of B-formation C1 - a normal squad in C-platoon of B-formation, with Sergeant Rock kicking his men's a## So, it's four. You have to notice that when you buy a battalion or a company, you get that formation an extra leader, which is the second level of command. Click the HQ tent icon to figure your command structure and fight those battalion commanders. Oh, and besides of editing the names of any units, you can also edit the names of any leaders of those units! Just go to the unit screen and move your cursor over the leader's name, and it highlights and you can click to edit it just as when you rename the unit. [This message has been edited by Schrubbery (edited July 25, 2000).]
Wow!!! So buying three tank platoons isn't the same as buying one tank batailon of three platoons? Never realized that When I bought large company, like 15 light tanks, it always appeared as let's say three groups B0-B4; C0-C4;D0-D4 and I didn't realize B0 is higher commander than C0,D0. Stupid me!!! Ok, sometimes it appeared even as follows: B0 C0-C4 D0-D4 E0-E4 and I .... I DELETED the B0 as the formation seemed too small for me !!! Ghe ... :{ Also with renaming of leaders... I would almost swore I tried it, but didn't figure this out . I feel silly, but I cannot wait to get to my computer and test this Renwor the Silly One

(in reply to David)
Post #: 7
- 7/25/2000 10:34:00 PM   
Panther

Would it be possible not to make the command structure so linear especially now that you can have so many units. If you play with lets say to remnants of divisions which is possible should the command structure branch out for the different divisions. A0 is still the main leader but its subordinates are lets say B0 and D0 should hold the same rank. Same goes for the different companies with in the organization. The leader from one company would have a hard time telling the leader of another company what to do unless orders higher up specificaly alowing him to do that. What I think would be cool is to allow branching out of the command structure in a seperate screen. Then you can attach a name to the organization (Example 134 INF DIV) all units below that unit in the branch structure automatically get the designation. A0 CORPS / \ B0 X0 / | \ / | \ C0 D0 F0 G0 H0 Y0 | T0 / \ Z0 AA0 You should still be able to manualy change the designations if you want to. Panther

(in reply to David)
Post #: 8
- 7/25/2000 11:39:00 PM   
Tombstone

This game is based on the sp3 engine. That game had formations as large as battalions. When it says unit commander that used to mean platoon commander which is now squad leaer, and formation commander used to be company commander which is now probably platoon commander, and battalion commander was what it was which is now probably company commander. The overall commander was A0, and still is. As far as I remember, the 'battalion commanders' would command however many formations they came with, so you could delete some of the formations and replace them with other ones... the new formations would benefit from that commanders chain of command... or something like that. Tomo

(in reply to David)
Post #: 9
- 7/26/2000 6:36:00 PM   
Fabs

This is an aspect of the game that I am not clear on. Most of the scenarios thatI have designed have involved from one Company to a full battalion, and what is in the game deals with that satisfactorily. There are clear platoon commanders, and you can buy Companies with a HQ. and a leader to go with it, and change names, ranks etc. to suit your whims. The A0 in this scale is Battalion Hq., and if you want to model a full Battalion Hq. and its security you can play around by attaching units to the A0 to make it as large as you want. I have never tried to fight with two battalions, where you would need Battalion Hqs to still be intermediate and the A0 would be a Regimental or Brigade Hq. As far as I know you can not buy ready made infantry battalions while setting up a scenario, and I do not know if there is a mechanism to create further intermediate command levels by, say, assigning a "0" unit to another "0" unit. As far as I know, the assigned unit loses its "leader" status and is given a number >0, or it retains the status and the other unit loses it (used to happen in Steel Panthers, haven't tried it in SPWAW). Perhaps this is one of those areas where the existing documentation needs some support to clarify what may be poorly understood new possibilities of the game system. ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited July 26, 2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to David)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Leader Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI