Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> Multi-player Leagues >> Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 4:09:25 AM   
SittingDuck

A number of us are going to give a multi-player league a shot. This is a learning process with PSBB for all of us, although I'm sure many of us have played online leagues before. Some of us may have even commished a league - I did one for FPS BBPro '98 called 'Dynasties of the Diamond' way back in 1997/8.

Anyhow, the idea for this league is to get about 8-10 owners together and sim a season (hopefully more!) of the all-time greatest baseball teams. Each owner can choose his favorite team to play; however, all teams must be post-deadball era.

This post will contain all relevant data and be continually updated, so check it regularly. When the league starts to form, we'll work into another forum as appropriate.

So please let me know what team you are interested in managing!

A few things to consider right now when choosing teams:

No more than one team of a particular franchise. The exception could be NYY due to their history (two teams allowable), but there would need to be a significant time gap between the two franchises.

Interested Owners

KG Erwin - (the dreaded) 1971 Pittsburgh Pirates
Fouts - 1998 San Diego Paaaadres
Padresfan104 - 1980 PhilaDELphia Phillies
akcranker - 1989 Ooakland A's
Sitting Duck - 1970 Bawl'mer Orioles
Nukester - 1986 New Yawk Mets
Deltadog - 1955 New Yawk Yankees
Dneely - 1953 Broooooklyn Dodgers
Jearly - 1941 Boston Red Sawx
tbear2b - 1991 MinnesOta Twins
Paul Vebber - 1982 Miwahhky Brewers (aka, Southside Bums)
Woodruff - 1985 St. Louis Cardinals

< Message edited by SittingDuck -- 8/19/2006 6:24:11 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 4:14:57 AM   
SittingDuck

Rules to be considered:

These are just some of my initial thoughts presented to the group for discussion:

DH
- I would vote seriously against the DH. Several reasons that I won't state unless anyone has concerns. Or, if we have enough teams that are DH teams, we could put them into one league

Rotations - not a real big deal since we can choose our own, but 4-man would be good as a default due to the possibility of having to put a team on computer-ownage if we have a gap in ownership. Maybe it's not a big deal. If a team has to go CPU-owner, I can always just set the team myself

Closers - would vote 'ney' personally

Rosters - 35 man since this is concentrating on existing MLB players during that team's history

Trading - obviously! That's going to be half the fun!!

Ballparks - we'll want to have historical parks created, as closely as we can to available data. Not always easy to get exact data on things like wall heights. Further, the limit of 9 vectors for the outfield walls really is a limit and basically ballparks are an issue of compromise. I'll work with all owners to get them as close to historic.

< Message edited by SittingDuck -- 8/18/2006 4:34:57 AM >

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 2
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 4:24:40 AM   
jearly

Sitting Duck - I just replied on your other thread, I'd be interested in Managing the 41 Red Sox

Post #: 3
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 4:37:41 AM   
dneely

DNeely would like to have the 1953 Brooklyn Dodgers.

Thanks, David

Post #: 4
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 4:38:40 AM   
tbear2b

I noticed you put me up for the 41 Red Sox, but that was Jearly.

I will, however, take control of the 1991 Twins. They might not be the greatest team of all time, but I loved 'em!

(in reply to jearly)
Post #: 5
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 4:45:41 AM   
Nukester

Just to reiterate....this is an experimental league. Basically being setup so we can see the nuances of multiplayer PS. Im not sure any of us really know what to expect.

(in reply to dneely)
Post #: 6
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 4:47:22 AM   
SittingDuck

Tbear - sorry, thanks for pointing that out.

Nuke - you got that right.

Dneely - I was thinking about them today...

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 7
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 4:50:44 AM   
SittingDuck

Kind of surprised you didn't go for the '27 Yankees, Nuke.  But '37 rocked, too.

Post #: 8
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 5:59:51 AM   
Deltadog

Since you indicate that there can be 2 Yankee teams and since the first team I ever saw on TV involved the 1955 Yanks, I will take them.  Don't remember what other team was involved  I assume that this is far enought from 1937?

Post #: 9
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 6:32:23 AM   
Nukester

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck

Kind of surprised you didn't go for the '27 Yankees, Nuke.  But '37 rocked, too.

I thought about it, but overall I think 37-38 were better teams. I almost went with the 77-78 Yankees because they are my all-time favorite team (being 9 years old at the time)

If you dont want to have 2 Yankee teams, let me know, and Ill pick someone else

Post #: 10
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 6:33:19 AM   
SittingDuck

'55 would be OK, I think.  Just check to make sure there are no big dogs from the '37 team still hoofin' it.  I'd prefer to keep one instance of any one player in the league at a time, if that makes sense.  But if it is an issue, then I am sure we can figure something out.

Mr. Vebber wants the '82 Brewers.  So we're crankin' it up.

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 11
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 6:39:44 AM   
Nukester

Ill tell you what. Even though I would rather use the '37 Yanks, if you want to keep it to one team, Ill bow out for Deltadog and use the '86 Mets

Post #: 12
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 7:03:13 AM   
PadresFan104

I'll take the 1980 Phillies

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 13
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 7:39:20 AM   
Nukester

Actually if the '37 Yanks are out, Ill take the '75 Cincinnati Reds instead of the '86 Mets

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 14
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 8:13:29 AM   
tbear2b

Rules to be considered:

These are just some of my initial thoughts presented to the group for discussion:

DH - Agree with SittingDuck, no DH. Even though I won't be able to use Chili Davis, I think baseball is more pure without a DH.

Rotations - Don't care myself.

Closers - I like closers, but that's partially because I'm so young that's all I've ever really known. I'll go with the group concensus on this one and adjust as needed. Again, this will affect my team, but not as much as if it were an even closer to current team.

Rosters - 35 man only makes sense

Trading - ditto on the trading

Ballparks - Metrodome sucks, but at least in PureSim, I don't have to sit in for three hours to watch pro baseball! I'm with historically accurate parks on this one too.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 15
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 8:37:13 AM   
Woodruff

I already posted in that other thread, but I'll post here too.

Over there I requested the 1978 Royals.

However, I don't see the Cardinals listed...someone else had claimed them in the other thread, I thought.

If the Cardinals are available, then I would like to get the 1985 Cardinals.
If the Cardinals are spoken for, then I'll take the 1978 Royals.

Thanks.

Post #: 16
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 10:32:23 AM   
Fouts

I've never played Puresim multiplayer.  I would love to give it a try. 

If you need another manager, I'd like to join.

Some of my choices would be;

1998 SD Padres
1989 SF Giants
2002 SF Giants
1929 PHI A's

I'd be happy managing any of those.

(in reply to Woodruff)
Post #: 17
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 2:32:12 PM   
SittingDuck

Nuke, I'd really love to see either the Mets or Reds represented.  So I'll put you down for Reds until you mention something else.

(in reply to Fouts)
Post #: 18
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 2:35:58 PM   
SittingDuck

Fouts, are those your desired teams in descending order?

Post #: 19
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 2:38:37 PM   
SittingDuck

At this point we are like 50/50 on closer/no-closer usage teams. The more I think about it, the more it would make sense to use closers since a team like mine or the 1955 team would just not fill in the closer slot, if they desired to play it historical, which I personally would do, but hey - whatever.

Also, 5-man rotations would be the way to set up the league as any CPU team would at least be guarded from burning itself out. Human-owned teams can set up their rotations any way they like, but I'm pretty sure the CPU would override any rotation setup I have input come the first time it has an issue.

< Message edited by SittingDuck -- 8/18/2006 2:48:58 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 2:46:27 PM   
SittingDuck

The other thing I was thinking - and this could totally be rendered irrelevant soon - is league structure.

Initially I was thinking two separate leagues. However, if you are wanting to see which team does best, then you'd want them playing against all other teams and not just 3-5 teams. What is important is a spread of games against all teams. A WS, while nice, would just mean that half of the teams are never really a part of the test for a given team. So it would seem one massive league would be the way to go with a limited amount of teams.

OTOH, if we get enough guys interested (which brings up another problem), then there would certainly be enough competition to run a WS. That is pretty much up to everyone else, though.

Here's the other concern I mentioned - often when you get a bunch of people interested in a league, you'll have early attrition. So that is my concern - setting the league up for 'X' amount of teams and then after about 1-2 weeks having 3-4 teams have to go on CPU control. So I'd like everyone to give a lot of consideration as to whether they want to try to stick it out on this and not bonk out early. I'll keep everyone apprised of ideas/concerns/whatever so no one has to be taken aback by any changes or issues. There is a lot to work out from my end regarding FTP and stuff like sim arrangements and so forth. So that is all stuff to be thought out and relayed to the group.

Post #: 21
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 2:54:16 PM   
SittingDuck

Woodruff, to answer your question in the other thread on AI teams, I was actually thinking last night that it might behoove us to set up a few AI teams for historical teams that have not been chosen in the end.  Like an A's team or whatever.  There are quite a few teams we could set up that way.  Not looking to have a massive league, but it would be nice to have some teams represented.  This would also give us a field of teams open for management should the league become desirable to other guys.  Which might occur, but then again, we might lose a few guys after some time.  So we can make a decision on that later.

Post #: 22
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 4:20:13 PM   
Nukester

quote:

ORIGINAL: SittingDuck

Nuke, I'd really love to see either the Mets or Reds represented.  So I'll put you down for Reds until you mention something else.

Thats fine. Deltadog can have the Yankees

Post #: 23
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 5:49:19 PM   
Deltadog

I hate to take a team that someone else had first.  If it had not been indicated that 2 Yankee teams would be ok provided that they were far enought apart, I would not have done so.  Since Nuke had them first, I can select another. 

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 24
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 6:11:06 PM   
Paul Vebber

NOte that if you are phonetically spelling things then THe Brewers are from 'Miwahhky', ast least on the South Side where I grew up...

< Message edited by Paul Vebber -- 8/18/2006 6:12:56 PM >

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 25
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 8:24:27 PM   
Nukester

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deltadog

I hate to take a team that someone else had first.  If it had not been indicated that 2 Yankee teams would be ok provided that they were far enought apart, I would not have done so.  Since Nuke had them first, I can select another. 

Nah thats fine. However, if we go from "experimental" to "real" league in the future, I get 1st dibs on the Bombers

You know what ? The '75 Reds might be a better team, but I think Ill personally have more fun running the '86 Mets, since I know them very well, and they have a better pitching staff. Ill go with the '86 Mets

(sorry for changing my mind so many times)

(in reply to Deltadog)
Post #: 26
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 8:30:30 PM   
Nukester

Some of these teams are very close in years, so you may still have to sift through the rosters to make sure there are no duplicates of the same guy on teams (if that the way you want to go). I havent checked, but there may be someone on both the '80's Phillies and the '82 Brewers, or the '85 Cardinals, etc....

Also, are the teams going to be normalized (if something like that can be done within the game), or is it "bring with you what you had at the time" (for example low Sb totals for '30's teams, high HR's for late '80's and '90's teams, etc....) ?

< Message edited by Nukester -- 8/18/2006 8:31:09 PM >

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 27
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 8:51:05 PM   
Woodruff

I can see why you might normalize.

However, that would essentially negate my reasoning for selecting the two teams I wanted (Royals and Cardinals), since I selected them specifically for dominating numbers of stolen bases (and stolen base percentages).

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 28
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 10:29:27 PM   
SittingDuck

All good points.

The 'player on two separate teams' things could be annoying. This is one reason I was thinking about using the Year-Suffix thing (Steve Carlton, 1980). Personally don't like it in my league, but this makes me see its value. Thoughts? Anyhow, I am going to have my hands full getting the FTP stuff and sim schedule/process (which we'll need to discuss) ironed out right now. Which makes me think I'd really like to be able to have polls.

On the normalizing, the only thing that really is a philosophical obstacle is where do you set the benchmark? What year or era? Thus, I tend to think it would be best to leave all settings at the current 'center mark' (ie., not adjusted negatively or positively), and by this I mean the sliders affected via the 'Options' menu. I won't like the HR totals at all, personally, but c'est la vie.

However, if we can agree to an era that is to our liking for the big things like ERA, HRs and such, then I can normalize it out via a few runnings of the association. Set it and then let it roll. Personally, I enjoy the pre-1969 stat levels because I see a relevance dating back to the 40's and perhaps even earlier. Not perfect, but not as skewed as it becomes later. I mean, 30-40 hrs should be, IMO, real power. And an ERA above 4.0 should not be considered #3 starter stuff, ya know? OK, this is getting philosophical and shows the difficulty of finding an era that everyone is content with. But if there is a majority consensus, then we can just go with that and be done with it. Because you really can't get it perfect because that is pretty undefinable.

At some point when the membership drive has reached a plateau, then I'll whip up the league and post it so guys can download it. It won't contain all of the historical parks, most likely, but that can be finished later. As well, if anyone has a particular logo, then we can use that. Or if you just want to use your own logos, whatever. Which is probably the right thing anyhow.

< Message edited by SittingDuck -- 8/18/2006 10:31:14 PM >

(in reply to Woodruff)
Post #: 29
RE: Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! - 8/18/2006 10:32:49 PM   
SittingDuck

It's OK on changing your mind, Nuke.  You can have all of them potentially until someone else steps up and grabs one.  Down for the Mets.  Someone will likely get the Reds and I hope, the A's.  My true competition, you see.  Which I want to prove inferior. 

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> Multi-player Leagues >> Puresim Multiplayer League - Greatest All-Time Teams! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI