Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wall Heights

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Wall Heights Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wall Heights - 8/19/2006 11:40:22 PM   
DonBraswell

Shaun,
From what I'm seeing the stadium wall heights are not having any effect during the in game ball flights. I can really see this at stadiums with screens or high walls. The L A Coliseum, Fenway, Old Braves Field, Ebbetts Field, Forbes Field, Griffith Stadium, Pologroungs, ETC. Hits into the screen or wall are home runs instead of balls in play. Any thing we can do about this.
Don
Post #: 1
RE: Wall Heights - 8/20/2006 12:05:01 AM   
SittingDuck

whoa

(in reply to DonBraswell)
Post #: 2
RE: Wall Heights - 8/20/2006 2:19:32 AM   
donkuchi19

I also notice this at Jacob's Field. I have seen many line drive homeruns that hit the out of town scoreboard on the wall.

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 3
RE: Wall Heights - 8/20/2006 7:56:42 AM   
KG Erwin

Don, overall, I see historical effects for the parks.  What specifically is bothering you? 

(in reply to donkuchi19)
Post #: 4
RE: Wall Heights - 8/20/2006 10:40:59 AM   
akcranker

I've seen alot of this in the NAMBLA association with the ballpark photos that were used.. but according to Padresfan the ballparks are still the default puresim parks with the photos layed over the top...

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Wall Heights - 8/20/2006 6:54:51 PM   
DonBraswell

Lets use L A Coliseum for example. In PSPN cast watching a game, Hodges hits a long fly ball to left that hits the screen about 15 feet above ground level. I would have to look again, but I think the screen height is 40 feet. To get a home run at the L A Coliseum you had to hit the ball over the 40 foot screen 256 feet from home plate. A ball hit into the screen was in play. The same as hitting a ball off the wall at Ebbetts Field. PSPN shows these balls as a home run. If a home run is hit 260 feet the ball flight should consider the wall height and show it over the screen or wall, not into the screen. Maybe the the game can't tell where the wall is using all of the different pictures we have available? I just would like a home run to look like a HR. Maybe in the park configeration we need movable lines to show wall heights. Line sections that you can slide up and down to show where the top of the wall/screen is. It just doesn't look right to have a HR called when the ball flight shows the ball hit the screen/wall. Maybe parks should be setup seperately?
Any suggestions?
Don

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Wall Heights - 8/20/2006 10:54:25 PM   
puresimmer

This has nothing to do with the game engine but rather a limitation of user-created parks with pictures taken at varying perspectives and how the person that created the park mapped the flight paths onto them. PureSim has no idea what the picture it is drawing the ball flight on to looks like, it simply looks at the distances and wall heights entered when the park is created.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

Post #: 7
RE: Wall Heights - 8/20/2006 10:58:12 PM   
SittingDuck

So this is for user-created parks that use different pictures and coordinates, correct?

But doesn't apply to a park that has had dimensions/walls changed and uses the Turner Field gamecast info?

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 8
RE: Wall Heights - 8/20/2006 11:09:31 PM   
puresimmer

I'm not sure I understand the question. What I am saying is the ball flight is eye-candy and if the the user maps one of the "XD" locations to a spot half way up what looks to be a huge wall, then even if the engine calls for a Home Run, it may not look like a home run visually. That said, it has no impact on the integrity of the simulation engine.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to SittingDuck)
Post #: 9
RE: Wall Heights - 8/20/2006 11:49:12 PM   
SittingDuck

OK, I just didn't understand your initial explanation; hence, the incomprehensible question.  Thanks for the further clarification.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 10
RE: Wall Heights - 8/21/2006 12:33:14 AM   
DonBraswell

Shaun,
I understand that this is not a game engine problem. I was just thinking eye candy helps sell games too. I was just trying to find a way to make it look better.
Don

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 11
RE: Wall Heights - 8/21/2006 12:40:05 AM   
Woodruff

Don,

I think the problem with that lies in the pictures themselves. In order for what you're saying to apply, there would have to be a picture file for every single instance of every possible combination of fence depth and fence height.

Quite an undertaking, to say the least.

In other words, the software doesn't even see the "picture"...it could be a portrait of me for all the game cares.

Post #: 12
RE: Wall Heights - 8/21/2006 4:13:56 AM   
DonBraswell

The subject is mute. No further comments are required.
Don

< Message edited by DonBraswell -- 8/22/2006 12:49:52 AM >

(in reply to Woodruff)
Post #: 13
RE: Wall Heights - 8/21/2006 5:35:26 AM   
Woodruff

Or even "moot".

(Geez, I was just trying to help explain...)

Post #: 14
RE: Wall Heights - 8/21/2006 5:56:31 AM   
SittingDuck

Classic thread.

(in reply to Woodruff)
Post #: 15
RE: Wall Heights - 8/21/2006 10:23:07 PM   
Tigers Roar

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

I'm not sure I understand the question. What I am saying is the ball flight is eye-candy and if the the user maps one of the "XD" locations to a spot half way up what looks to be a huge wall, then even if the engine calls for a Home Run, it may not look like a home run visually. That said, it has no impact on the integrity of the simulation engine.

While the subject may be 'moot' I do have a question.

Based on Shauns comments, should we be locating the XD location in Home Run territory for truer ball flight recreation on home runs? I always thought that the XD location was just a long out...is it really a home run?

Thanks

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 16
RE: Wall Heights - 8/22/2006 12:48:58 AM   
DonBraswell

Hey, who said I could spell any way. Sorry, I wasn't directing my last comments at any one. Shaun is the man who decides the issues. So I'll be moot, I mean mute. or what ever.
Don

PS: We're in this together and have fun.

To Tigers Roar,
All of the hit locations are in play, except for the ones for foul territory.

< Message edited by DonBraswell -- 8/22/2006 1:03:46 AM >

(in reply to Woodruff)
Post #: 17
RE: Wall Heights - 8/22/2006 12:58:07 AM   
DonBraswell

I've moved my deep and extra deep locations closer to the fence/wall. On some with high screens and/or walls I have even moved them up onto the wall/fence. It does look weird to see a lined out to left 30 feet above the ground. But I have signed a few Lakers players lately.
Don (not tall enough to play) Braswell

(in reply to Tigers Roar)
Post #: 18
RE: Wall Heights - 8/22/2006 3:52:05 PM   
Tigers Roar

Thank you Don for the feedback on the XD locations.  That confirms what I thought I knew (if that makes sense).  Shauns comments did leave it a little open for doubt. 

Post #: 19
RE: Wall Heights - 8/23/2006 2:46:48 AM   
KG Erwin

OK, I understand why the in-game experience plays some tricks on the eye.

Of course, if I were sitting in the stands, after 7 innings my eyes might be too befuddled to tell the difference anyway. (burp)

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Wall Heights Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI