Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive update uploading in process

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive update uploading in process Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/26/2007 1:13:08 AM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Wow. What discrepencies. A closed society - and one disrupted by revolution and invasion - is hard to get information from. I will convert the Albatross to 1944, but leve the other in for 1945 - on the assumption that some record says it was - and it might have (it is already very late - and we no doubt have left vessels out anyway).

I found Soviet materials on those big "monitors." Seems it is very much in doubt exactly what happened? Apparently all lost all their engines and guns near the end of WWI - when Revolution stalked the land. They were rearmed during the First Five Year Plan - for which I have detailed information. Also reengined - or at least 5 of them were. They do not appear to have ended up uniform. Some had single 12cm side mountings. Two had single 13 cm mountings in all four positions, but then these were replaced by 152mm mounts using turrets from the original class. I don't know if that means all four mounts or just the fore and after mounts that originally had 152mm? Apparently all got rebuilt bridges with space for a proper director and an extra 37mm AA gun - which is intrigueing since "extra" implies they already had 37mm AA - but that isn't how they were born. I am tempted to leave this alone in the form Monter reports - just for the sake of simplicity! And no where do I find a record of their deck armor - yet all the smaller monitors had 50mm deck armor - so why would ships with 4.5 inch of teck (and turret) armor not have any deck armor? Very confusing.

I am going to rework the Amur Flotilla - expanding it to include obscure vessels - since I found the naval records for their reconstruction - tonight. This is my last research project. This, eratta, and conversion of minor craft to multiple ship formats - is all that is going to happen before freezing. If we don't freeze tomorrow - we do so Monday. Get any eratta in now.

Errata,(Hope it's not too late, you have been very busy).
Recently I asked a question about the bombload on the Netherland Fokker T.IV bomber. Your comment was that you believed it carried depth charges.
The plane was a 2 engine pontoon torpedo/recon bomber, as large as the Italian pontoon bombers of the same era. The design was so successful 8 years after it's initial entry in 1927, a further order for 12 more planes was made,giving it a stronger airframe and bigger engines.
The plane was protected by 3 machine gun positions,(7.9 MM), in the nose,dorsal, and ventral positions.
The plane carried either 4x440lb bombs, or 18x110lb bombs(internally), or a single torpedo,slung under the fuselage).
The plane had a range of 1012 miles,top speed of 259 mph with an impressive ceiling of 25260 feet!

Currently, the plane (in RHS) will "go along for the ride" on bombing missions, but with a RHS imaginary load of DC's(?), will accomplish nary a splash.

Now, here's the kicker. While that plane was used mostly by the NEIAF, another 2 engine pontoon bomber, (with similar bomb or torpedo load, also used solely by the NEIAF is completely missing from the OOB's,I think)..
The Fokker T.VIII-W was created in 1937,(newer plane and certainly better looking!).
There were 36 of them, and the performance was a tad better in all areas.

Source:Combat Aircraft Of The World..John W.R.Taylor ISBN 0-399-50471-0

and Aircraft Of WW2..Stewart Wilson...ISBN 1-875671 35 8

Please consider making this change.

< Message edited by m10bob -- 2/26/2007 1:32:03 AM >

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 901
RE: RHS microupdate 5 and 6 .644 uploaded (important e... - 2/26/2007 2:32:56 AM   
el cid again

Some significant errors in ship classes were detected by Cobra and, upon investigation, a total of six were corrected (so they point to correct art). I also found a class of micro AKs for riverine service upgrading to Baltimore Class CA - due to an invalid upgrade pointer! And Alvrmartin found an Aussie brigade pointing at a battalion formation in Level 6.
Both Level 6 and Level 5 data files are updated. About 30 US LSTs added and others date/location corrected. This update entirely replaces x.643 and needs to install on top of comprehensive update x.642.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 2/26/2007 2:47:01 AM >

Post #: 902
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/26/2007 2:37:38 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

Wow. What discrepencies. A closed society - and one disrupted by revolution and invasion - is hard to get information from. I will convert the Albatross to 1944, but leve the other in for 1945 - on the assumption that some record says it was - and it might have (it is already very late - and we no doubt have left vessels out anyway).

I found Soviet materials on those big "monitors." Seems it is very much in doubt exactly what happened? Apparently all lost all their engines and guns near the end of WWI - when Revolution stalked the land. They were rearmed during the First Five Year Plan - for which I have detailed information. Also reengined - or at least 5 of them were. They do not appear to have ended up uniform. Some had single 12cm side mountings. Two had single 13 cm mountings in all four positions, but then these were replaced by 152mm mounts using turrets from the original class. I don't know if that means all four mounts or just the fore and after mounts that originally had 152mm? Apparently all got rebuilt bridges with space for a proper director and an extra 37mm AA gun - which is intrigueing since "extra" implies they already had 37mm AA - but that isn't how they were born. I am tempted to leave this alone in the form Monter reports - just for the sake of simplicity! And no where do I find a record of their deck armor - yet all the smaller monitors had 50mm deck armor - so why would ships with 4.5 inch of teck (and turret) armor not have any deck armor? Very confusing.

I am going to rework the Amur Flotilla - expanding it to include obscure vessels - since I found the naval records for their reconstruction - tonight. This is my last research project. This, eratta, and conversion of minor craft to multiple ship formats - is all that is going to happen before freezing. If we don't freeze tomorrow - we do so Monday. Get any eratta in now.

Recently I asked a question about the bombload on the Netherland Fokker T.IV bomber. Your comment was that you believed it carried depth charges.
The plane was a 2 engine pontoon torpedo/recon bomber, as large as the Italian pontoon bombers of the same era. The design was so successful 8 years after it's initial entry in 1927, a further order for 12 more planes was made,giving it a stronger airframe and bigger engines.
The plane was protected by 3 machine gun positions,(7.9 MM), in the nose,dorsal, and ventral positions.
The plane carried either 4x440lb bombs, or 18x110lb bombs(internally), or a single torpedo,slung under the fuselage).
The plane had a range of 1012 miles,top speed of 259 mph with an impressive ceiling of 25260 feet!

Currently, the plane (in RHS) will "go along for the ride" on bombing missions, but with a RHS imaginary load of DC's(?), will accomplish nary a splash.

Now, here's the kicker. While that plane was used mostly by the NEIAF, another 2 engine pontoon bomber, (with similar bomb or torpedo load, also used solely by the NEIAF is completely missing from the OOB's,I think)..
The Fokker T.VIII-W was created in 1937,(newer plane and certainly better looking!).

Actually - the change in loadout was made in response to data in the Forum that it ONLY operated with that loadout in NEI. And your data on a different plane is not germane UNLESS it was in NEI service. I can check Taylor - since I have him - but I don't remember it in any of the squadrons - and it does not appear to be in CHS either. CHS had a very detailed update to NEI aircraft -and since we have had significant reviews for RHS - because of Dutch participants who won't let us get even a tiny thing wrong without comment. Anyway - we would have a slot problem - unless the type could be combined - except in EOS AFTER Cobra finishes the new art set (when Allied plane slots will free up).

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 903
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/26/2007 2:38:42 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: Herrbear

quote:

ORIGINAL: drw61

As I was playing EOS 6.643 this morning I found that the allied micro AKs (slot 1365) are upgrading to Northampton CAs (slot 191) 

It is also in CVO Scenario 60. Also, about 5 or 6 of these Allied Micro AKs ships named Indian ### have no weapons while the rest have a couple of .30 and .50. The class (1365) has 2 .50. Was it intentional that some were unarmed?

I saw this in an overnight test - and it is now part of the update just uploaded.

(in reply to Herrbear)
Post #: 904
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/26/2007 3:02:29 AM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually - the change in loadout was made in response to data in the Forum that it ONLY operated with that loadout in NEI. And your data on a different plane is not germane UNLESS it was in NEI service. I can check Taylor - since I have him - but I don't remember it in any of the squadrons - and it does not appear to be in CHS either. CHS had a very detailed update to NEI aircraft -and since we have had significant reviews for RHS - because of Dutch participants who won't let us get even a tiny thing wrong without comment. Anyway - we would have a slot problem - unless the type could be combined - except in EOS AFTER Cobra finishes the new art set (when Allied plane slots will free up).

I have no doubt the plane will get its' correct load-out when you check your Taylor book..
Yes, I remember the comments in the forum as well, but I have quoted my sources.
On further exploration, I found this site which sez the T.VIII never made it to Java!!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://avia.russian.ee/pictures/holland/fokker_t-8.gif&imgrefurl=http://avia.russian.ee/air/holland/fokker_t-8.html&h=821&w=592&sz=12&hl=en&sig2=lqi909QQjoRU5tf1tUUhGw&start=32&tbnid=dhUKyusV6W19pM:&tbnh=144&tbnw=104&ei=HTPiRbHhFZqshATQ7viwBw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddutch%2Beast%2Bindies%2BFokker%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D30%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

As for the Dutch East Indies A.F.:

http://www.geocities.com/dutcheastindies/Dutch_OOB.html

Here is that older T.IV:

http://avia.russian.ee/air/holland/fokker_t-4.php

< Message edited by m10bob -- 2/26/2007 3:31:23 AM >

Post #: 905
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/26/2007 1:22:06 PM   
davidjruss

Sid,

I have downloaded v6.642 , v6.643 and v6.644 files from CobraAus site with current Pwhex.

I started a new game and find that many base locations are now out of synch with the map and in the wrong place.

Before adding v6.644 Dunedin (NZ) was still in the middle of the ocean , now the base is located at hex 55,144 and now others such as( but not confined to ) Hobart and Melbourne are in the ocean.

DavidR

Post #: 906
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/26/2007 2:03:58 PM   
davidjruss

Sid,

Apologies , please disregard post 906 - I have discovered what I was doing wrong.

DavidR

(in reply to davidjruss)
Post #: 907
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/26/2007 6:15:32 PM   
el cid again

I found both your planes - in Aircraft of the Second World War (Weal et al).

The only datum I can confirm on the VIII is that 36 were made. Only 11 ever went into Dutch service - and all of those in ETO. [The rest - and indeed most of those 11 - also served with UK or Germany - also entirely ETO]. As was SOP for colonial powers, they relieved the older plane - which was then sent to NEIAF. I speculate that the torpedoes of the older planes were retained in ETO as well - which would explain the following.

I was able to confirm the older plane in NEIAF service - in two variants (IV and IVa - 12 each). And indeed the report they were used for ASW and recon - but not for torpedo bombing or other bombing (land or sea) is also correct. I bet there were no torpedoes available for it in that theater - and that it was not regarded as effective as a day bomber - nor was it fitted with radar (so it could, like Swordfish, be effective at night). [The RNN did primary research on radar and some of its radar was put into production by UK during the war - but aircraft radar does not seem to have been part of the package.]

Now I have no problem giving players options. It was pointed out these planes should not be torpedo bombers in NEIAF service - and I removed the torpedoes for that reason. But there were plenty of 50 kg (and 10 kg) bombs -
so we can fit it with these - and let players specify an AS mission if they want to. It is not clear just what code does in that case? But it will fly an ASW mission, for sure.

Follow up: OK - the problem - which may explain historical usage - is not weight carrying - but hard points. You cannot fit a significant fraction of the load with the bombs available - although you might rob some 250 pound bombs from B-10s - otherwise you have to use 110 pound (50 kg) bombs. Now these are indeed dangerous - and also useful in ASW work - so I gave the plane a mixed loadout - but only 2 DC and 2 bombs - so it won't be a great bomber. But it will fly more mission types if you wish it to.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 2/26/2007 6:44:54 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 908
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 2:22:34 PM   
m10bob

quote:

I found both your planes - in Aircraft of the Second World War (Weal et al).

The only datum I can confirm on the VIII is that 36 were made. Only 11 ever went into Dutch service - and all of those in ETO. [The rest - and indeed most of those 11 - also served with UK or Germany - also entirely ETO]. As was SOP for colonial powers, they relieved the older plane - which was then sent to NEIAF. I speculate that the torpedoes of the older planes were retained in ETO as well - which would explain the following.

I was able to confirm the older plane in NEIAF service - in two variants (IV and IVa - 12 each). And indeed the report they were used for ASW and recon - but not for torpedo bombing or other bombing (land or sea) is also correct. I bet there were no torpedoes available for it in that theater - and that it was not regarded as effective as a day bomber - nor was it fitted with radar (so it could, like Swordfish, be effective at night). [The RNN did primary research on radar and some of its radar was put into production by UK during the war - but aircraft radar does not seem to have been part of the package.]

Now I have no problem giving players options. It was pointed out these planes should not be torpedo bombers in NEIAF service - and I removed the torpedoes for that reason. But there were plenty of 50 kg (and 10 kg) bombs -
so we can fit it with these - and let players specify an AS mission if they want to. It is not clear just what code does in that case? But it will fly an ASW mission, for sure.

Follow up: OK - the problem - which may explain historical usage - is not weight carrying - but hard points. You cannot fit a significant fraction of the load with the bombs available - although you might rob some 250 pound bombs from B-10s - otherwise you have to use 110 pound (50 kg) bombs. Now these are indeed dangerous - and also useful in ASW work - so I gave the plane a mixed loadout - but only 2 DC and 2 bombs - so it won't be a great bomber. But it will fly more mission types if you wish it to.

Sorry, I just don't see why you *feel* they had no torpedoes. The Dutch were basing torpedo equipped destroyers and cruisers,with more than one large naval base there.
While the plane could be used in ASW work, it was purpose-designed as a *torpedo-bomber*..

http://www.dutch-aviation.nl/index5/Military/index5-1%20T4.html

I have found another page showing where each of them were destroyed,(most by bombing), so, (like the rest of the Allies early on), they were unprepared, but an assumption that the planes might not be used as designed once the firing started, is IMHO flawed.
Not looking for compromise, but an approach to what should be more historically accurate.
In the event they had no torpedoes, they still had internal bomb bays, with a capacity of near 1800 lbs,(hardly a "couple of hundred-pounders").........

This next thread shows their were torpedoes available in the Dutch East Indies,and when used by Dutch subs, were very potent.(Yeah, I know aerial torps can differ, but I include this site for the sake of history.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/DutchSubs.php

As far as how many torps were in the NEI, I found another site that shows the American U.S.S. Alden used Dutch torpedoes when they ran out of American torps.
(The Dutch torps were FAR superior to those used by the U.S. at that time.)

"A smoking gun?"

This site shows the Dutch did indeed have aerial torpedoes in theatre:

http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/Shinonome.htm

< Message edited by m10bob -- 2/27/2007 2:59:17 PM >

Post #: 909
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 5:04:38 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Making a big deal over availability of torpedoes in the DEI when we can't govern the availability of torpedoes for any other aircraft, especially the strategic like strike force Nells and Bettys have been designed as in this game.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 910
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 7:42:29 PM   
el cid again

quote:

quote:

Sorry, I just don't see why you *feel* they had no torpedoes. The Dutch were basing torpedo equipped destroyers and cruisers,with more than one large naval base there.
While the plane could be used in ASW work, it was purpose-designed as a *torpedo-bomber*..

http://www.dutch-aviation.nl/index5/Military/index5-1%20T4.html

quote:

REPLY: The torpedoes used by surface ships (and submarines and PT boats) are generally different from the torpedoes used by aircraft. For one thing, most aircraft operated lighter weight torpedoes of a different caliber.
This wasn't always the case: the Japanese midget subs used the same torpedo as aircraft - but note that it is a lighter and smaller torpedo from those used by surface ships or full sized submarines. The midgets actually were like aircraft in that they lacked torpedo tubes! [They just had round torpedo holders - they were loaded externally like aircraft torpedoes - there was no door or elaborate mechanism as is usually the case on a submarine. As a result firing one torpedo almost always forced the submarine to surface!] Anyway - this aircraft began WITP as torpedo armed, and posters complained it was ahistorical - that it was not used in that way. I confirmed that - and I confirmed that again yesterday. I had the impression you wanted to carry bombs - and it turns out this isn't an efficient bomber - but I have to agree it could carry a few - and some were available. Exactly why they were not used with torpedoes I do not know - but they were not - and no suitable ones seems a reasonable guess as to why?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 911
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 7:53:49 PM   
treespider

Aerial torpedos in the NEI????

According to this website there were a few...however should the T-IV be allowed to carry them?

http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/

VI45
Aerial torpedo intended for use by the new Fokker T-8W torpedobombers. 17 were delivered, 12 of which after May 1940. The were then shipped to the Netherlands East Indies. On April 2 1940, an additional 100 were ordered with the torpedofactory in Fiume, but the torpedoes (although 4 million dollars had been paid in advance) were never delivered due to the involvement of Italy in the war, from June 10 onwards.

Specifications

Diameter
45 cm ( 17.7 inch )

Origin
British

Manufacturer
Whitehead, Weymouth

Charge
170 kg trotyl

Overall weight
745 kg

Range
1500 m @ 45 knots
2500 m @ 41 knots

Service
1937-1942

Total number purchased

< Message edited by treespider -- 2/27/2007 8:08:31 PM >

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

Post #: 912
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 7:54:24 PM   
el cid again

quote:

quote:

I have found another page showing where each of them were destroyed,(most by bombing), so, (like the rest of the Allies early on), they were unprepared, but an assumption that the planes might not be used as designed once the firing started, is IMHO flawed.
Not looking for compromise, but an approach to what should be more historically accurate.
In the event they had no torpedoes, they still had internal bomb bays, with a capacity of near 1800 lbs,(hardly a "couple of hundred-pounders").........

This next thread shows their were torpedoes available in the Dutch East Indies,and when used by Dutch subs, were very potent.(Yeah, I know aerial torps can differ, but I include this site for the sake of history.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/DutchSubs.php

As far as how many torps were in the NEI, I found another site that shows the American U.S.S. Alden used Dutch torpedoes when they ran out of American torps.
(The Dutch torps were FAR superior to those used by the U.S. at that time.)

"A smoking gun?"

This site shows the Dutch did indeed have aerial torpedoes in theatre:

http://www.netherlandsnavy.nl/Shinonome.htm

REPLY: Sometimes a torpedo can mount in a similar sized tube - German attempts to use Japanese ones (when theirs failed maintenance tests at Penang) failed - the torpedoes were not compatable. But sometimes you can do it. That should not be confused with attempting to use a surface ship torpedo on an aircraft. Different kettle of fish entirely.

The reason we removed torpedoes from this aircraft is that it was considered ahistorical - so we have a problem: not all posters agree about what is historical! I cannot please you both.

The reason we are limited about bombs is mounting points. A torpedo can be replaced by 1, 2, 3 or 4 bombs - depending on the specific hardware available. While a torpedo plane can carry bombs, it is a bit like a fighter doing so - it never carries very many (at least not in that age). A purpose built bomber of that period, on the other hand, would have typically 10 or more hard points, so if you wanted to carry more smaller bombs, or if you were going to carry a maximum load (not permitted in WITP theoretically speaking) - you could do so. As far as I know no torpedo bomber had such a provision - and in the absence of specific data otherwise - the general rules seem best to apply.
IF there were heavy bombs available it might be different. But NEIAF used the B-10 (Martin 339) as its "bomber" - and other than that only had 50 kg bombs for "heavy" work (10 kg was also used). I don't have any specific knowledge, but it seems unlikely in the age of dissimilar measurement systems (metric and English) that American bombs would be mountable on a European aircraft. Even if that is not a germane issue, there were not very many 250 pound bombs purchased - and it is hard to believe the rather numerous B-10 units would be robbed of their primary ordnance in favor of an old, slow aircraft delivering them. If we made that the "standard" loadout - players would use it - be forced to use it - so it would not be some rare, exceptional thing - it would be the rule. I couldn't rationalize that far. But carrying a couple of 50 kg bombs in lieu of DC might actually make sense - they are deadly to submarines, transports, destoyers, patrol craft, etc. Also much more useful than DC vs a land target.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 913
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 7:56:22 PM   
treespider

Another Dutch areial torpedo..but should the T-IV be allowed to carry them???

IV45
Used aboard submarines, and kept in reserve for the new Fokker T-8W torpedoaircraft

Specifications

Diameter
45 cm ( 18 inch )

Origin
British

Manufacturer
Horten, Norway

Length
5,43 m

Engine
4-cylinder radial

Charge
180 kg trotyl

Overall weight
820 kg

Range
2500 m @ 40 knots
6000 m @ 28,5 knots
6700 m @ 28 knots
7500 @ 26,5 knots

Service
1928 - 1946

Total number purchased

Here's a link to:

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 914
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 8:06:04 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Making a big deal over availability of torpedoes in the DEI when we can't govern the availability of torpedoes for any other aircraft, especially the strategic like strike force Nells and Bettys have been designed as in this game.

This seems to be an incomplete sentence - but we may guess at its thrust.

The original objection to torpedoes for this aircraft is that it never was used in that role. This is confirmed - unusually so - in reference materials that normally would not say such a thing - so it must be considered an important note.
We removed the torpedoes in favor of DC because we were asked to do so for historical reasons. I have now shifted to a mixed torpedo/bomb loadout to please this poster. But that seems not to his liking. He wants the torpedoes back.

If there were no torpedoes in theater for this aircraft, it is certainly ahistorical to permit them. If there were torpedoes in theater for them, but they were not used, it is likely they could not be used (like the German torpedoes at Penang - in these conditions torpedoes do not last very long). Comparing a total lack of capability with a supply rate is comparing apples and fried prawns - a different kettle of fish altogether. IF we could control torpedo inventories - I prefer to do so - and in my games we track every one - by type. That we cannot does not justify giving torpedoes to an aircraft no longer used with them. Since the aircraft was relieved by a more modern aircraft in NEAF - I suspect that the plane was sent to NEIAF for other duties - and the expensive fish retained in Europe - where conditions permit storage for many years. This is the pattern of colonial powers of the period: send older planes to the colonies - and update the homeland striking force with the newer ones. I could be persuaded otherwise by specific data - and have been.

I regard making a big deal about 2 dozen wholly obsolete secondary aircraft exclusively used for recon and patrol work as something of a waste of time - and have done so as a courtesy. Had I just taken this poster's suggestion - we would be flying T VIIIs which never were in theater - and giving the Dutch more than 3 times the number that ever served with them (even in ETO). I have considered the suggestions - found the addition of the T VIII unwarranted - and the idea of making the planes have more possible missions a reasonable one - so I added bombs which permits that. It is as far as I am prepared to go absent specific information that we can reasonably give players a further capability (which we need to admit is ahistoric in the sense it was not used - but which we might want to do if it was technically possible).

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 915
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 8:08:10 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

IV45
Used aboard submarines, and kept in reserve for the new Fokker T-8W torpedoaircraft

Specifications

Diameter
45 cm ( 18 inch )

Origin
British

Manufacturer
Horten, Norway

Length
5,43 m

Engine
4-cylinder radial

Charge
180 kg trotyl

Overall weight
820 kg

Range
2500 m @ 40 knots
6000 m @ 28,5 knots
6700 m @ 28 knots
7500 @ 26,5 knots

Service
1928 - 1946

Total number purchased

There is this: one of the several classes of Dutch submarines in the theater could probably fit this torpedo.

I found records of two 18 inch and one 21 inch torpedoes in Dutch service that might have been used. Only one of the 18 inch torpedoes was certainly used ever, anywhere, by aircraft. The other one may or may not have been - it was also made by Horton in UK - and there is no record of a 21 inch used operationally anywhere. This is pretty ambiguous - but my best guess is that likely only one torpedo was ever used - and that one had a range of 1500 m with a 150 kg charge - intended for dropping at 100 knots - it would be suitable for obsolescent aircraft. And it would not be safe to try it! [You cannot drop at the full range of the torpedo - so you would have to close to almost 1000 yards to release - at 100 knots. Not something I would want to do.]

< Message edited by el cid again -- 2/27/2007 8:28:39 PM >

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 916
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 9:01:19 PM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

This seems to be an incomplete sentence - but we may guess at its thrust.

The original objection to torpedoes for this aircraft is that it never was used in that role. This is confirmed - unusually so - in reference materials that normally would not say such a thing - so it must be considered an important note.
We removed the torpedoes in favor of DC because we were asked to do so for historical reasons. I have now shifted to a mixed torpedo/bomb loadout to please this poster. But that seems not to his liking. He wants the torpedoes back.

If there were no torpedoes in theater for this aircraft, it is certainly ahistorical to permit them. If there were torpedoes in theater for them, but they were not used, it is likely they could not be used (like the German torpedoes at Penang - in these conditions torpedoes do not last very long). Comparing a total lack of capability with a supply rate is comparing apples and fried prawns - a different kettle of fish altogether. IF we could control torpedo inventories - I prefer to do so - and in my games we track every one - by type. That we cannot does not justify giving torpedoes to an aircraft no longer used with them. Since the aircraft was relieved by a more modern aircraft in NEAF - I suspect that the plane was sent to NEIAF for other duties - and the expensive fish retained in Europe - where conditions permit storage for many years. This is the pattern of colonial powers of the period: send older planes to the colonies - and update the homeland striking force with the newer ones. I could be persuaded otherwise by specific data - and have been.

I regard making a big deal about 2 dozen wholly obsolete secondary aircraft exclusively used for recon and patrol work as something of a waste of time - and have done so as a courtesy. Had I just taken this poster's suggestion - we would be flying T VIIIs which never were in theater - and giving the Dutch more than 3 times the number that ever served with them (even in ETO). I have considered the suggestions - found the addition of the T VIII unwarranted - and the idea of making the planes have more possible missions a reasonable one - so I added bombs which permits that. It is as far as I am prepared to go absent specific information that we can reasonably give players a further capability (which we need to admit is ahistoric in the sense it was not used - but which we might want to do if it was technically possible).

You seem to be stressed,Sid..
Being detail oriented, I believe you missed the tail end of one of my prior posts in which I explained I had been wrong about the 2nd Fokker being in the PTO:

I have no doubt the plane will get its' correct load-out when you check your Taylor book..
Yes, I remember the comments in the forum as well, but I have quoted my sources.
On further exploration, I found this site which sez the T.VIII never made it to Java!!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://avia.russian.ee/pictures/holland/fokker_t-8.gif&imgrefurl=http://avia.russian.ee/air/holland/fokker_t-8.html&h=821&w=592&sz=12&hl=en&sig2=lqi909QQjoRU5tf1tUUhGw&start=32&tbnid=dhUKyusV6W19pM:&tbnh=144&tbnw=104&ei=HTPiRbHhFZqshATQ7viwBw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddutch%2Beast%2Bindies%2BFokker%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D30%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

From your comments, it would seem you have considered my "input" as a hinderance, to your efforts. You consider including others' input as a "favor"?
Don't do me any "favors".
I truly believed you in past when you stated this was not a sole effort, but involved the contributions of many.
I understand now.
Xin loi.......................

Post #: 917
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 9:11:53 PM   
treespider

There is also this website-

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/neth/mld/types/fokker_TVIII-W.htm

Fokker T.VIII-W * Retired *
Five T.VIII W/G1 ordered 23 September 1938 (R-1 to R-5) and nineteen T.VIII W/G2 ordered 1 January 1939 (R-6 to R-24). Total of 24 ordered. Delivered 25 April 1939 - 28 July 1939 and 10 May 1940 - 12 May 1940. Only 6 of second batch actually delivered (making a total of 11 aircraft) due to German invasion. Torpedo-bomber reconnaissance floatplane. Eight escaped to UK on 14 May 1940, and used to form 320 sqn RAF on 1 June 1940.
Twelve T.VIII W/M version ordered 1 February 1940 for use in NEI. Serials R-25 to R-36 allocated but not used. Captured by Germans before any completed. Total ordered was 36. Two further aircraft, under construction for Finland as FW-160 and FW-161, were taken over by the MLD as R-37 (c/n 5636) and R-37 (c/n 5637) respectively, but were not completed before capture by the Germans.
One example (R-25?) escaped from the Netherlands to the UK on 6 May 1941. This aircraft was then used for covert flights into occupied Europe, before being struck off charge.

Serial
c/no.
Prev. Identity
Delivered
Fate/Notes

R-1

25 Apr 1939
Crashed in Suffolk 28 Nov 1940, to AV958

R-2

5 May 1939
Destroyed near Rozenburg 10 May 1940

R-3

16 May 1939
to RAF AV959, soc in UK Sept 1940

R-4

28 July 1939
Burnt at Scheveningen 10 May 1940

R-5

28 July 1939
Shot down by mistake 13 Sept 1939

R-6

10 May 1940
to RAF AV960, soc in UK 28 Nov 1940

R-7

10 May 1940
to RAF AV961, soc in UK 28 Nov 1940

R-8

12 May 1940
to RAF AV962, soc in UK Sept 1940

R-9

10 May 1940
to RAF AV963, accident in Irish Sea 26 Sept 1940

R-10

12 May 1940
to RAF AV964, accident in Irish Sea 26 July 1940

R-11

May 1940
to RAF AV965, soc in UK 28 Nov 1940
References:
  • 70 Jaar Marineluchtvaartdienst by N. Geldhof (1987)

Here's a link to:

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 918
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 9:15:36 PM   
Terminus

quote:

IV45

Specifications

Diameter
45 cm ( 18 inch )

Origin
British

Manufacturer
Horten, Norway

Length
5,43 m

Engine
4-cylinder radial

Charge
180 kg trotyl

Overall weight
820 kg

Range
2500 m @ 40 knots
6000 m @ 28,5 knots
6700 m @ 28 knots
7500 @ 26,5 knots

Service
1928 - 1946

Total number purchased

The Dutch used a Norwegian torpedo?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 919
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 9:22:27 PM   
treespider

In regards to the use of torpedos on the T.IVa I believe it was possible albeit doubtful...

here is an excerpt from Bloody Shambles p.60 -

"...,while the old T-IVas, 11 of which were still on hand, equipped GVT-12 and GVT-14, and were used for training along with the C-XIvws, and the remaining Dornier Wals..."

and from this website ...it would appear there were only 11 in service during the war...

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/neth/mld/types/fokker_TIV.htm

Fokker T.IV * Retired *
12 T.IV version (Lorraine engines) delivered to NEI 1927 - 12 August 1930, torpedo-bomber/recce floatplane. Serials T-1 to T-12. Rebuilt 1936 with Cyclone engines. Several still in service in May 1940. T-1 ordered Dec 1926, T-2 to T-7 ordered Feb 1928, T-8 to T-12 ordered 12 Dec 1929.
12 T.IVA version (Cyclone engines) to NEI 27 April 1936 - 1938, and still used in March 1942. Serials T-13 to T-24. T-23 and T-24 were retained in the Netherlands for some flight trials in 1938, before being delivered to the NEI the following year. Aircraft T-13 to T-18 ordered 4 Jan 1935, T-19 to T-24 ordered 19 Jan 1937.

Serial
c/no.
Prev. Identity
Delivered
Fate/Notes

T-1

Accident 16 Oct 1937 near Banda, NEI

T-2

soc Jan 1939 Morokrembangan, NEI

T-3

soc 1940 Morokrembangan, NEI

T-4

T-5

T-6

T-7

Sept 1929

T-8
5219?

12 Aug 1930
soc 1 Sept 1939 Morokrembangan, NEI

T-9
5220?

1 July 1930
soc 1 Mar 1939 Morokrembangan, NEI

T-10
5221?

1 July 1930

T-11
5222?

12 Aug 1930
soc 1 May 1939 Morokrembangan, NEI

T-12
5223?

T-13

27 Apr 1936
T-IVA, Accident 12 Oct 1937 near Awarawar, NEI

T-14

T-IVA, Accident 26 May 1941 near Soerabaja, NEI

T-15
5395?

T-IVA, Destroyed 2 Mar 1942 on Meer van Lengkong, NEI

T-16

T-17

T-18
5398?

T-19

T-20
5433?

T-IVA, Destroyed by bomb 3 Feb 1942 at Morokrembangan, NEI

T-21
5434?

T-22
5435?

T-IVA, Destroyed by bomb 3 Feb 1942 at Morokrembangan, NEI

T-23

T-24

Here's a link to:

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 920
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 9:23:45 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

And an Italian one as well...wonder if they had Moosi?

< Message edited by treespider -- 2/27/2007 9:38:38 PM >

Here's a link to:

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 921
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 10:02:34 PM   
el cid again

quote:

There is also this website-

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/neth/mld/types/fokker_TVIII-W.htm

Fokker T.VIII-W * Retired *
Five T.VIII W/G1 ordered 23 September 1938 (R-1 to R-5) and nineteen T.VIII W/G2 ordered 1 January 1939 (R-6 to R-24). Total of 24 ordered. Delivered 25 April 1939 - 28 July 1939 and 10 May 1940 - 12 May 1940. Only 6 of second batch actually delivered (making a total of 11 aircraft) due to German invasion. Torpedo-bomber reconnaissance floatplane. Eight escaped to UK on 14 May 1940, and used to form 320 sqn RAF on 1 June 1940.
Twelve T.VIII W/M version ordered 1 February 1940 for use in NEI. Serials R-25 to R-36 allocated but not used. Captured by Germans before any completed. Total ordered was 36. Two further aircraft, under construction for Finland as FW-160 and FW-161, were taken over by the MLD as R-37 (c/n 5636) and R-37 (c/n 5637) respectively, but were not completed before capture by the Germans.
One example (R-25?) escaped from the Netherlands to the UK on 6 May 1941. This aircraft was then used for covert flights into occupied Europe, before being struck off charge.

REPLY: That text is word for word lifted from Weal - so it is what I was reading. I think it is pretty close.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 922
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 10:03:30 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

IV45

Specifications

Diameter
45 cm ( 18 inch )

Origin
British

Manufacturer
Horten, Norway

Length
5,43 m

Engine
4-cylinder radial

Charge
180 kg trotyl

Overall weight
820 kg

Range
2500 m @ 40 knots
6000 m @ 28,5 knots
6700 m @ 28 knots
7500 @ 26,5 knots

Service
1928 - 1946

Total number purchased

They mainly used Horton torpedoes from UK - at least re air.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 923
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/27/2007 10:06:11 PM   
el cid again

Bob: In RHS Cobra does art and technical support and RHS site management, I do coordination and testing and verification, Mifune does the manual and technical support, and Alvrmartin does utility error tracking. All of us do OB, along with major contributions from AKWarrior, Joe Wilkerson, and others at times, and the Forum as a whole. But if something is disputed - it is my job to figure out what to do about it? Goes with coordinator.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 924
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/28/2007 4:15:50 AM   
Herrbear

According to Tom Womack's book The Dutch Naval Air Force Against Japan, the T-IVs could carry torpedeos but was not used that way in the NEI. According to him "...several of these planes were used for bombadier training; most were modified shortly after the outbreak of war to carry three depth charges and were assisgned to fly A/S and reconnaissance patrols along the north coast of Java and over the Java Sea."

The new loadout that Sid has of only 2 DC and 2 bombs is a reasonable load.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 925
RE: RHS 6.650 comprehensive update (end of development) - 2/28/2007 4:48:41 AM   
el cid again

6.65 is in upload. Level 5 transmits in 6 hours (must go to work now). Level 5 and 6 development is ended - but we will fold in eratta reported in a x.651 update. We will also keep these up with Level 7 development - and issue seasonal maps to enhance them (summer first).

Post #: 926
RE: RHS 6.650 comprehensive update (end of development) - 2/28/2007 6:06:04 AM   
JeffroK

The Dutch had aerial torpedoes (I dont know which type) available in the DEI as the Do Flying boats launched some night Torp attacks. According to Bloody Shambles.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Post #: 927
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/28/2007 11:25:50 AM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Herrbear

According to Tom Womack's book The Dutch Naval Air Force Against Japan, the T-IVs could carry torpedeos but was not used that way in the NEI. According to him "...several of these planes were used for bombadier training; most were modified shortly after the outbreak of war to carry three depth charges and were assisgned to fly A/S and reconnaissance patrols along the north coast of Java and over the Java Sea."

The new loadout that Sid has of only 2 DC and 2 bombs is a reasonable load.

Thanks Brian...I appreciate your sources. I just had a gut reaction to back handed comments from Sid:
"I regard making a big deal about 2 dozen wholly obsolete secondary aircraft exclusively used for recon and patrol work as something of a waste of time - and have done so as a courtesy. Had I just taken this poster's suggestion - we would be flying T VIIIs which never were in theater - and giving the Dutch more than 3 times the number that ever served with them (even in ETO). I have considered the suggestions - found the addition of the T VIII unwarranted - and the idea of making the planes have more possible missions a reasonable one - so I added bombs which permits that. It is as far as I am prepared to go absent specific information that we can reasonably give players a further capability (which we need to admit is ahistoric in the sense it was not used - but which we might want to do if it was technically possible). "

Sometimes he's kinda like a bull in a china shop. I had already posted MY correction (my assumption the T.VIII had made it to the NEI,) but Sid does not seem too keen on reading every word in a paragraph.
I understand.
We are of the same generation and as much as he reads, he may still be stuck on that Evelyn Woodhead/JFK speed reading technique of "scanning" for nouns/verbs..
Sometimes, you miss important stuff this way.
Not the first time he has missed something in the threads..
It's come to be an expectation by some, and has turned off many who might have been of a positive mind in the beginning.

(in reply to Herrbear)
Post #: 928
RE: RHS 5 & 6.650 comprehensive update (end of developm... - 2/28/2007 11:38:26 AM   
el cid again

The Level 5 updates have begun the upload process.

Edit: Completed.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 2/28/2007 6:36:18 PM >

Post #: 929
RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive updat... - 2/28/2007 11:51:01 AM   
el cid again

Bob: I did indeed miss that you cought the T VIII was not in Java the first time you posted it. And I have indeed missed other things. This isn't entirely something you should regard as a personal flaw on my part: information theory says there will be errors. The amount of data I handle is vast - and in order to finish projects I do not spend a lot of time on every field - or every posting. The more important the field or matter - the more time I devote to it - so hopefully the most important things are also very accurate. But there must be errors - and anyone who handles this quantity of data is going to make them. People who must never be wrong cannot do this sort of thing - because they are going to come face to face with John or Joe noticing this or that error. The data set was remarkably dirty to begin with - and it suffers in several unfortunate ways that might not theoretically have to be the case (including some legacy structural issues, some editor procedures that induce or facilitiate errors, and a lack of definitions of design intent - for which reason I have gone to the trouble to create and publish some standards). Joe Wilkerson told me up front that nothing I could do would please everyone - and while I am the sort who would love to do just that - it appears he is correct. Everyone feels his particular datum is worthy of a great deal of attention - if he did not he would not have brought it up - and not many people have tried to manage things on this scale - so few are sympathetic with the issue that - if we spend many days on each field or record - we will not be done in our lifetime.
There are 133,000 fields in the data set, another 133,000 fields I personally manage just in hex side definitions, 2304 communications codes, 2304 terrain codes, 2304 hex type codes, and a number of other things. One day per field would amount to 747.7 years - and we have spent more than a day on just one value of this or that sort many times.
We cannot continue to do that. But a management decision to limit time so we can get a product is bound to make someone unhappy. I truly regret that - and if I knew a way to spend 10 days per field - I would gladly do so - because in my heart I am a data perfectionist.

EDIT: That is what it takes to do one mod with its own map system. I manage 18 mods and 3 map systems.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 3/2/2007 1:45:45 AM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS integrated 6.642 integrated comprehensive update uploading in process Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI