Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RHS 5 & 6.653 (FROZEN) class file microupdate (uncorrupted)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS 5 & 6.653 (FROZEN) class file microupdate (uncorrupted) Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RHS 5 & 6.653 (FROZEN) class file microupdate (unc... - 3/4/2007 9:54:23 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidR

Sid ,

Re the 6.653 PT fix posted on Cobra Aus site. You state that this fix is for those on the primary distribution list. Am I right therefore in assuming that there will be a further fix for the general gaming public. I say this as I am still getting CTD's after downloading the fix from Cobra.

DavidR

I do not do the public distribution - it is a secondary distribution handled
by Cobra. But yes - it follows in due course - next time he wakes up.
We are offset in time zones. Meanwhile, we have people worldwide you can ask for copies
from - if you don't like to wait. Some of us are always awake.

(in reply to davidjruss)
Post #: 961
RE: RHS 5 & 6.653 (FROZEN) class file microupdate (unc... - 3/4/2007 10:05:11 PM   
Ol_Dog

Likewise, I am still getting the "none" class and crash after applying the PT fix micro

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 962
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/4/2007 10:10:51 PM   
m10bob

Even though I am fairly certain I have finally updated everything, I still have some of the river craft showing "Spare Bitmap" images, instead of boat pics.(The most recent riverboat pack even had 3 sides/shils I did not have go in- (which I copy/pasted manually to know this.)
No crash yet, so far.

Post #: 963
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/5/2007 12:04:26 AM   
BlackSunshine

Ugh!!! Been waiting anxiously to play this mod after the respawning CA bug forced us to restart a PBEM game.  I just started a new game as IJN with the latest "freeze" and now it's bugged again??  I'm halfway through my turn 1 (which takes quite some time) and see this.

Can I apply the fix to my game, or do I have to restart again?

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 964
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/5/2007 12:27:01 AM   
CobraAus

quote:

I still have some of the river craft showing "Spare Bitmap" images,

can you tell me what the bitmap numbers of the 'Spare Bitmap' panels you are getting when looking at ships sides

Cobra

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 965
RE: RHS 5 & 6.653 (FROZEN) technical issue (location/de... - 3/5/2007 5:37:12 AM   
el cid again

I have a problem with M-8 scout cars replacing Soviet Medium Tanks in 1945 -

a number of other device issues (bad armor, the KV-85 is a duplicate of the JS-1/IS-1,
a 20mm gun is rated like a 45 mm gun, etc)

and tank counts in 1942 should not increase in the first half of the year - when IRL they declined
significantly

It will take until morning to fix this in a microupdate (device files and location files)

Note however that the main off site tester - head of the Allied Tag Team - has very nice things to say about the
eratta - as in it is not turning up !

Post #: 966
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/5/2007 11:11:22 AM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: CobraAus

quote:

can you tell me what the bitmap numbers of the 'Spare Bitmap' panels you are getting when looking at ships sides

Cobra

Looking..I first saw it on Japanese air vs boat attacks..

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 967
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/5/2007 1:51:02 PM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

Cobra
''

Nothing wrong with your art panels Cobra, it was ME!!!
I looked inside the file and realized I had not put the riverboat pack into the subfolder, but had just put them into the ART folder..
Now, I can see the great work you did on the PT's and how nice the junks look.(Orange, as if made from teak,etc.)...Very nice!!
Thank you....

(in reply to CobraAus)
Post #: 968
RE: RHS 5 & 6.653 (FROZEN) class file microupdate (unc... - 3/6/2007 3:31:31 AM   
el cid again

We didn't upload the right class files - or they were corrupted and missing records - so that was fixed in a microupdate.

We found some device issues related to vehicles - M-8 Scout Cars and Soviet tanks - and we had some problems (which can only slightly be addressed) re Soviet OBs.

I forgot to send some ships to pick up 4 squadrons of planes, 2 AAA units and a division - which means players need to be more organized than should be required - while looking for the ships I found WWI Insect Class gunboats got mixed up with WWII ones - and that one was missing (the first war loss: Peterel) -

All this is in an update about to upload. For ease of players it will be comprehensive - all data files.

Post #: 969
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/6/2007 3:33:05 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

quote:

Cobra
''

Nothing wrong with your art panels Cobra, it was ME!!!
I looked inside the file and realized I had not put the riverboat pack into the subfolder, but had just put them into the ART folder..
Now, I can see the great work you did on the PT's and how nice the junks look.(Orange, as if made from teak,etc.)...Very nice!!
Thank you....

I remain in awe of Cobra's art - in particular I was surprised to see all three wakes in the triple PT boat art MOVING

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 970
RE: RHS 5 & 6.654 (REFROZEN) uploaded - 3/6/2007 4:53:05 AM   
el cid again

uploading has begun

moving on to testing phase (and Level 7)

Post #: 971
RE: RHS 5 & 6.654 (REFROZEN) uploaded - 3/7/2007 2:04:37 PM   
m10bob

Playing RHS-CVO, Allied vs AI.......All moving smooth as a charm..................

Post #: 972
RE: RHS 5 & 6.654 (REFROZEN) uploaded - 3/7/2007 3:42:48 PM   
Buck Beach

m10bob, If you don't mind can you give me specifically which parts of the pie you are using. I think I have them straight but now I am wondering about one of the critical files that has a later posting date on the RHS site. It is the 4.31 plane sides-top that was posted 8/22/06, whereas the others were earlier.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 973
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/7/2007 3:46:53 PM   
Buck Beach

Damn, I must be slower than I thought. I also have the "Spare Bitmap" images. Please for a feeble old mind, draw me a picture of the details so to speak. How should the ART folder look.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 974
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/7/2007 6:52:09 PM   
MineSweeper

El Cid, started playing RHS-CVO and came up against this uber fort at Kendari - 71,000 Troops w/ 9000 vehicles......FYI

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MineSweeper -- 3/7/2007 7:09:48 PM >

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 975
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/7/2007 7:51:31 PM   
el cid again

You have run into a supply sink! It is not a fortress - rather it is an "industrial fortress".

It is composed mainly of motorized support squads - civilians all - because these have a lower defense value
than regular support squads (being smaller in size). There also are some engineers (pioneers) and some
labor squads (a different kind of engineers actually). These insure that resources in the hex will be destroyed
when it falls. The function of the thing is to "eat" supply points - in fact every supply point generated in the hex
will be eaten by it!! SO you must IMPORT supply points to Kendari - or your units will wither on the vine. Now this
may be severe - it is possible that some supply points should be generated locally - and often this is the case.
In this case Kendari is a rich resource hex - but not a great source of cattle, wheat, rice, or even timber and gravel.
Note the nationality and commander and experience levels and planning location of this unit - all set to make it awful in a military sense. The "commander" - awful as he is - will turn into the infamous "staff officer" the moment ANY supply sink falls of that particular nationality - since they are all the same guy and when he dies the rest get the "zero zero guy" which code reports as "staff officer" - giving terrible modifiers for combat. The unit also will not move - at least in theory - the reason for the "fort" designation.

Now when a supply sink is in a major city, having lots of vehicles makes sense. But here possibly less so. The reason I did that is so that draft and pack units (with normal support) have a higher lift cost than motorized units do - a big
deal for military units. But a side effect is that regular support squads also are worth more in the defense - and to minimize the military value of supply sinks in the defense - I used motorized support.

The military impacts of a supply sink are several. It provides essentially unlimited support to military units in the hex. Actually true if you think about it - defending an area with developed industry and major pools of manpower and engineers does give you advantages over a wholly undeveloped area. It provides for damage to resources (and other industry) if the hex is attacked - even if no military units are present. Also true - particularly in this campaign. And it provides for some (perhaps too much) local defense - not in the firepower sense so much as in squad count. Again true - if you think of militia - which is associated with developed areas.

In this case it might be better to reduce the size of the sink by about 1/3 - to represent some local food production,
presumably some gravel, possibly some timber. I have not actually researched this hex - as I did for many of the hexes on the map - nor have I been there - as I have been for many of them - so I had little sense of what the local economy was right - and it remains in its "quick and dirty first pass" form = eat all the supplies and leave only the resources.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 3/7/2007 8:09:41 PM >

(in reply to MineSweeper)
Post #: 976
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/7/2007 7:56:50 PM   
MineSweeper

Thanks for getting back to me.....I have pounded this position w/5 BB and 4 CAs and invaded with over a division of troops for over 2 weeks and can not get control on this base.....I thought it was an error.....Thanks again BTW, here is a pic of the latest attack result.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MineSweeper -- 3/7/2007 8:25:19 PM >

Post #: 977
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/7/2007 8:07:12 PM   
el cid again

Larger supply sinks pose a military obsticle of some proportions - and in fact are a major reason for human testing.
AI takes positions like this by putting a unit there - and waiting - assaulting later. By then the defense is out of steam. Not only does it run out of supplies - the hex makes none while the enemy is there - but units without supplies start losing squads - and for peculiar reasons I don't understand - the military squads go first. So eventually it is much easier to take. This isn't bad for a big city - consider the battle of Manila - but it also isn't the way a place like Kendari would fight - given the natives preference for the Japanese. [Indonesia - like Malaya - was very anti-colonial. Indonesian units were armed by Japan - and never left the field until independence was achieved - look up one general Nasution.
They are not in the game - but probably should be. Indonesian native levies in KNIL service were not disposed to fight long and hard - with exceptions.]

(in reply to MineSweeper)
Post #: 978
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/7/2007 8:59:26 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

Damn, I must be slower than I thought. I also have the "Spare Bitmap" images. Please for a feeble old mind, draw me a picture of the details so to speak. How should the ART folder look.

Buck..Inside your ART folder will be a subfolder labelled "ships"(Allied I think)..Put your ship sides,etc in those subfolders.........(Same mistake I had made till I noticed my error.)

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 979
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/7/2007 11:08:30 PM   
Dili

Yeah it's an error and a big one.
It just plain wrong to have that kind of units in such places. Kendari was taken by what? a Sasebo SNLF plus some Base Forces unit in all probably a reinforced Battalion at most a Regiment without much fight.
Seems that i'll have to check the whole RHS including the allied side that i didnt wanted to make or probably just go back to CHS...this whole thing of investing in Chinese/Russians and having the fundamentals wrong doesnt make any sense. 

PS:Interesting Futur objective in that Unit...

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 980
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/8/2007 12:11:25 AM   
Bliztk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

The problem here is not the objetive, it`s the preparation and date. It should be 0 otherwise the supply sink gets experience

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 981
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/8/2007 9:57:29 AM   
Sardaukar

Yep...when Prep poits are 100 unit starts to train itself. That'd be *bad* in this instance. I'm not a fan of supply sinks because they can be beast to invade. Using division in Kendari and not getting it to fall in 2 weeks is IMHO badly unrealistic result.

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 982
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/8/2007 10:15:58 AM   
Bliztk

Yep, we are going to change the preparation points to 0 into the next iteration.

We have suggested Joe to add in a next patch a unit with 0 AV, now we have to use support and mot support that have 1/10 of AV for supply sinks.

Now we have to resort to the "Staff Officer Bug" and to set the units to 1 exp, 99 disruption and Chinese Nationality for the supply sinks

If anyone wants to change manually the preparation to 0 the affected units are:

Slot     Name
2148    USA Spokane Indstry
2160    USA Salt Lake Base
2215    USSR Blagovys'sk Ind
2275    USSR Khabarovsk Ind
2377    ROC Chunking Indstry
2399    CW Penang Industrial
2448    USSR Vlvstk Industry
2449    NEI Batavia Industry
2498    NEI Toboali Industry
2557    AU Newcastle Indstry
2576    AU Cloncurry Indstry
2585    AUST Perth Industry
2656    US Manila Industrial
2694    US LA Industrial
2706    USA Frisko Industry
2718    US Astoria Industry
2720    US Seattle Industry
2741    Fairbanks Industrial
2754    CA Vancouver Indstry
2755    FF Noumea Industrial
2758    French Koumac Indsty
2760    IA Asanol Industrial
3253    IN Dehli Indstry
3254    AU Melbourne Indstry
3256    USSR Nik'vsk Indstry
3257    USSR Komsmlsk Indsty
3259    NZ Hamilton Industry
3260    NZ Gisborne Industry
3335    AA Sydney Industry
3338    AA Brisbane Industry
3358    IN Madras Industrial
3359    USSR Sakhalin Indsty
3360    CW K Lumpur Indstry
3361    IA Karachi Industry
3362    USSR Irkutsk Indstry
3402    NEI Kendari Indstry
3404    KM Sawahlnto Indstry
3409    NEI Palembang Indstr
3258    CW Nauru Industry
2163    USSR 7th Naval Base

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 983
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/8/2007 10:50:06 AM   
Sardaukar

Hmm..Chinese nationality certainly helps since they cannot train their exp as high as others. And setting COs with all stats to 0 (or 1) might help too ? 

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 984
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/8/2007 10:57:28 AM   
Bliztk

We use the same leader (Generic Allied Leader 1) for all supply sinks. If one is captured, the "dissapearing leader" bug appears and puts the infamous "staff officer" in charge of all supply sinks, with his stats of 0,0,0 which are far worse codewise than the generic stats of 1,1,2 that the leader uses 

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 985
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/8/2007 11:24:35 AM   
Sardaukar

Why just not have individual leader for every sink instead of generic ? I don't think that'd be too much work and it'd get rid of "infamous leader bug" since I don't even want to think possible effects on other leaders if "staff officers" start to appear... Even though that's supposed to be fixed.

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 986
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/8/2007 11:25:51 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Yeah it's an error and a big one.
It just plain wrong to have that kind of units in such places. Kendari was taken by what? a Sasebo SNLF plus some Base Forces unit in all probably a reinforced Battalion at most a Regiment without much fight.
Seems that i'll have to check the whole RHS including the allied side that i didnt wanted to make or probably just go back to CHS...this whole thing of investing in Chinese/Russians and having the fundamentals wrong doesnt make any sense. 

You managed to lose me entirely. Having China and Russia easy to conquest - when it was IRL either impossible or very, very difficult to do so - "doesn't make any sense" IMHO. The Soviet case has a double whammy - if the USSR is ahistorically weak in a military sense - then the real risks of "move South" are not present and you are not simulating. The real Japanese Army had to decide what it could risk sending South - what had to stay in the North. Manchukuo, Korea and Inner Mongolia aren't just areas on the map - they are the real economic heart of the Japanese Empire - resources wise. IRL Japan is the poorest of the great powers - resources wise - it has almost nothing at home. Except for oil (of which there is some) and, curiously, uranium, almost everything else it needs can be obtained in either substantial amounts or else completely in China, Manchuria, Korea and the minor states (which Japan treated like independent countries) of Liaoning and Inner Mongolia. [In this system all resources are equal - and are measured by weight. 2/3 of ALL the resources Japan needs to import are coal - period - weight wise. And all the coal it needs - more than it needs - is available in these areas. Combined with iron ore, soy, timber, rice, and about 20 other major imports, more than 90% of the tonnage it needs comes from this area.] And if Russia is weak - Japan can "strike North" - the real goal of IJA - and get the resources of Siberia and the oil of Sakhalin - and not have to ship it any great distance at the risk of submarine interception either.

As for supply sinks - it is somewhat more of a mixed bag. But the WITP design concept of supply points tied to resource centers wholly subverts the very design concept that supply points are made by industry. If we don't "eat" them - the need to feed armies in resource areas is entirely absent. And that "doesn't make any sense" IMHO either. Now there are problems. The game forces us to concentrate resources from a vast area into a few points. In principle we could make each hex a separate location, put one mine in it, and you would not have a big supply sink there to eat the supplies. But slot limits mean we have only a few points on an island like Celebes - and these have all the resources from many hexes in them - thus a big supply sink to eat them. It is not really much different from having to fight for a long time to take the whole island - hex by hex - only you seem to be fighting for Makassar and Kendari. If I designed the system, (a) we would not need the supply sinks because we would have control over supplies at resource centers (soft control) and (b) if that were overruled by boss design programmer we would have 10 times more slots to play with.
I am not in charge - we don't have that option - and so we need to work out something. The CHS solution is to grossly understate resources - which in turn helps prevent supplies from being large - and that in turn means you never have enough to really generate the HI points Japan really could generate. I see no solution here: free supplies forward, too few resources (the factor is about 11 - and at least 3 if you only count military economy), and too much free shipping since you don't have to move either the real resources or the supplies back from Japan to the field. Whatever you are doing - you are not simulating the war - which was a war over resources and autarky (economic self sufficiency) for Japan. Until Matrix separates supply points from resource centers - or gives us control over the ratio - the RHS solution is inherantly superior to ignoring these major issues. If you really disagree - don't play RHS. It is the heart of the beaste we will address logistics instead of pretending they don't matter. We have done lots of things to minimize the impacts of the sinks - including going over to support squads which are divided by 10 - planning for wrong locations which divide AV by 5 again - and using hopelessly inept officers - among other things. When we get this working right - look for the sinks to grow - right now there is a limit of 16,000 squads - and some need to be larger than that.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 3/8/2007 12:08:37 PM >

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 987
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/8/2007 11:37:26 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bliztk

quote:

The problem here is not the objetive, it`s the preparation and date. It should be 0 otherwise the supply sink gets experience

We discovered that planning at zero is not as effective (meaning ineffective) as planning at 100 for the wrong objective. That divides AV by 5. We also made it a house rule not to change the planning objective of a supply sink to its actual location. It is not allowed to be any good at defending its location in a military sense.

Note that this is not often a problem. Most supply sinks are so small you don't know they exist - often even I cannot identify them. [A supply sink can be as small as 15 squads in size - eating half of one supply point per day] Only the largest of supply sinks are present as separate units - in order to mitigate the impacts of great numbers of squads. If you have another way to 'eat supplies' I am all ears. But it takes 30 squads to eat the supply output of a single resource center! Now often we don't do that - only when the supply output is excessive do we do it. Anyway - it is the exceptional cases we are having problems with - and have taken more than a few steps to mitigate. At this time we are trying to determine if these are enough - or if more are required? But - if more steps were impossible - and if the present situation is not acceptable - we would be better off to keep the sinks than to get rid of them. Excessive supply is a problem in ALL versions of WITP - but it is THREE TIMES worse in RHS - because we have attempted to be accurate about the resources. And our model is understating the real numbers by at least 50% - this is a conservative modeling approach. To compensate for which you don't get half your AK tonnage - they carry the other 50%. That prevents "AKs to burn" - the norm in stock and CHS as I found it. Planners need to value their shipping lift - and if they don't have to use it to move supplies and resources - they are not simulating operations in the PTO. It is the "main business" of real staffs. Often intel cannot be exploited - for logistic reasons combined with time.
Awful but true.

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 988
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/8/2007 11:39:05 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bliztk

Yep, we are going to change the preparation points to 0 into the next iteration.

quote:

Sorry. I forgot that we had tried that - then concluded there was something even more effective. [I think Nemo figured it out. Someone did: planning for the wrong objective impacts the final AV in the assault calculation - and by a non trivial amount. If I remember right it is divide by 5.]

(in reply to Bliztk)
Post #: 989
RE: RHSRAO 6.653 Missing Ship Types - 3/8/2007 11:42:39 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Hmm..Chinese nationality certainly helps since they cannot train their exp as high as others. And setting COs with all stats to 0 (or 1) might help too ? 

Good idea - and implemented (except I think the nationality is something like Philippine) - in two forms. Supply sinks generally have Generic Allied Officer 1 (or a similar officer on the Axis side). Aside from being rated awful in his own right, the very first time this guy dies, all the other units with the same guy get the dreaded "staff officer" - who is rated 0 for everything. [IRL there is NO staff officer - just a value of 0 in every field - and code reports it as "staff officer" when it sees the 0 for officer ID] AI has not been having a lot of trouble with places that used to be awful - so it is a lot better going this way. We used nationalities that don't respawn either.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 3/8/2007 11:58:27 AM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS 5 & 6.653 (FROZEN) class file microupdate (uncorrupted) Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI