Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RHS 6.77 updates released (and semi-freezing)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS 6.77 updates released (and semi-freezing) Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RHS 6.77 updates released (and semi-freezing) - 4/26/2007 12:47:17 PM   
el cid again

pwhex set 6.77 uploaded - minor changes to Alaska and BC coast

data file sets for RAO, BBO, PPO and EOS uploaded

The Russian Passive Scenarios need Soviet subs reworked - next.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 1201
RE: RHS 6.77 updates released (and semi-freezing) - 4/26/2007 1:01:08 PM   
el cid again

Level 6 CVO uploaded

Post #: 1202
RE: RHS 6.77 updates released (and semi-freezing) - 4/26/2007 1:13:49 PM   
el cid again

Level 6 RPO uploaded

Post #: 1203
RE: RHS 5 & 6.678 updates to release (data washed) - 5/1/2007 2:39:26 PM   
el cid again

After a few more lines of data entry - all 18 RHS scenarios at all three levels (for the first time) will release (and freeze) a coordinated set of files. The main change is data washing of the location files. Level 7 work has caused some minor changes in location logistic values. I may add a few US LSTs and convert some RN/Commonwealth MS to two ship units as well - time allowing.

Level 7 now needs only final cleanup of pwhex and Australian art - mainly with respect to RR and roads - to be playable.

Post #: 1204
RE: RHS 5 & 6.656 Comprehensive (and frozen) update - 5/2/2007 3:16:30 AM   
Accipiter

It's been a while since I followed this thread. I've been playing v5.13 for several months (mid 1/43 gametime) and haven't kept up with the latest information on RHS development. I have recently downloaded the level 6 map and v6.677 of EOS and I'm finding some difference that I'm hoping I can be enlightened about.

1 - I noticed that fort levels have been reduced to 0 throughout most of the DEI and Malaya. Is this intentional?

2 - Why are the supply sink now Motorized support? Does this make them behave somewhat differently?

3 - The first turn is also vastly different with an ensuing PH invasion. While this is great, is there still an EOS version that has the more traditional set-up (or even a completely unloaded/blank set-up) for those of us not wanting to invade Hawaii?

Post #: 1205
RE: RHS 5 & 6.656 Comprehensive (and frozen) update - 5/2/2007 11:29:23 AM   
el cid again

Originally, we used forts and static squads to immobilize supply sinks. Now we use the classification fort to immobilize a unit - and a "fort" means "concrete or similar thing" = "hard point" = one battery (typically 2 heavy guns or 4 medium guns). Very heavy batteries with extreme fortification are given 3 forts per battery (e.g. Fort Drum or the Tsushima Straits Forts). Forts were reworked on a global basis, and no longer represent anything inherited (i.e. done to different standards), but instead all work on the same set of standards. DEI were not singled out for special treatment. In fact, a few locations gained fortification. RHS added forts to a number of places, and greatly strengthened those in places like Hawaii. One of the first things we did was add CD to Rabaul (which had none) - but note that CHS added the same thing at the same time - upgun the Japanese major forts (Tsugaru Straits, Tsushima Straits, Tokyo Bay) - and also Manila Bay and Fort Stevens. Later we added some CD to Panama and San Francisco - which also had been understated. In general, RHS has added forts and CD guns, not taken them out. Most removed were in Japan - where vast numbers of 24 cm weapons greatly exceeded the total numbers of weapons of all major calibers emplaced.

The RHS supply sinks converted over to motorized support at the time RHS support diverged from motorized support in size and firepower. We did this for mainly logistical reasons. A non-motorized support element is considered to be pack or draft, and it involves a greater size (man count = 20) and firepower (2) than a motorized support element - which is considered to use a truck of some sort (man count = 10) and firepower (1). Sinks use motorized support because the want lower firepower totals - and because civilian vehicles are significant features of civilian economic infrastructures of great military value - it is semi-abstract - but good simulation.

EOS is DIFFERENT from the "strictly historical scenarios" at its heart. It assumes a better than historical planning. It adopts a plan that Adm Yamamoto decided should have been used two days after PH - 10 Dec 41 Japan time. It is alternate history - and dovetales nicely with better planning in terms of production - etc. found in EOS. The nearest thing to what you are asking for is PPO - which is BBO with extra political points. EOS has those points on a daily basis - but has expended them to buy the units move to PH etc. PPO lets you buy what you want with them. And it gives you the historically planned fleet on both sides (rather than the one built after lessons learned at PH, Coral Sea, etc). This is IMHO MORE historical than the actual fleets - more likely (if you could run the war 10 times you would get this sort of fleet more often than one like really happened). Remember - history is not what was likely to happen - it is what did happen.
If you want something similar to historical fleets - play RAO = CVO with active Russians (that is, like EOS). You get the carrier fleets - but the historical war start.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/2/2007 11:41:23 AM >

(in reply to Accipiter)
Post #: 1206
RE: RHS 5 & 6.656 Comprehensive (and frozen) update - 5/2/2007 5:32:53 PM   
drw61

Using EOS6.677
Found that if you convert a PG to a PT tender (AGP) it now converts to a Isle de France Class AP (slot 384).  This slot (384) originally was the AGP version of the Niagara class.

Thanks again for this great mod!

< Message edited by drw61 -- 5/2/2007 5:34:16 PM >

Post #: 1207
RE: RHS 5 & 6.656 Comprehensive (and frozen) update - 5/2/2007 11:50:19 PM   
el cid again

Wow. Slot 383 is NOT set to upgrade to 384 - so that is strange. It might be a hard coded slot. I have commented out slot 384 - and moved the Isle de France. Niagara will not upgrade to an AGP. These ships are specialized - and should not be too common. While a small AGP is possible, it should not be able to control a major landing - which code does not understand. Also - the Niagara is useful as a PG - and should not be forced to upgrade. Now as to upgrading to a PT tender - maybe that is the real problem. Not sure what is going on there - but it may contain a reference to 384? With no class in the slot it should no longer be able to upgrade to anything.

(in reply to drw61)
Post #: 1208
RE: RHS 5 & 6.678 updates released (frozen) - 5/3/2007 1:48:07 AM   
el cid again

Uploading of all scenarios begun. There are 18 of them - the first Level 7 release data file set - and it will take a while for all to upload.

Post #: 1209
RE: RHS 5 & 6.678 updates released (frozen) - 5/3/2007 6:47:48 AM   
el cid again

All 12 Level 5 and 6 scenarios uploaded. Need to create a new folder for Level 7 uploading - they will upload in plus 5 hours.

Post #: 1210
RE: RHS 5 & 6.656 Comprehensive (and frozen) update - 5/3/2007 3:50:44 PM   
drw61

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Wow. Slot 383 is NOT set to upgrade to 384 - so that is strange. It might be a hard coded slot. I have commented out slot 384 - and moved the Isle de France. Niagara will not upgrade to an AGP. These ships are specialized - and should not be too common. While a small AGP is possible, it should not be able to control a major landing - which code does not understand. Also - the Niagara is useful as a PG - and should not be forced to upgrade. Now as to upgrading to a PT tender - maybe that is the real problem. Not sure what is going on there - but it may contain a reference to 384? With no class in the slot it should no longer be able to upgrade to anything.

I just did some testing with EOS 6.678 with the slot commented out and when I used the “convert to PT boat tender (AGP)” option it crashed the game. I believe you are correct that slot 384 is hard coded; you need to have some type of PT tender in that slot to have the convert button work.

< Message edited by drw61 -- 5/3/2007 3:52:41 PM >

Post #: 1211
RE: RHS 7.679 data set released - 5/3/2007 7:02:26 PM   
el cid again

Data files for Level 7 - issued in 7x scenario format - are uploaded. Some minor eratta were incorporated - mainly related to Australian SOF - and these are available for Levels 5 and 6 as microupdates (location files only). All these scenarios are now frozen. Level 7 is completed except for the pwhex file set re Australia. You can set up a game - but not execute the first turn (except for test purposes) - pending pwhex release. There are no roads or RR in Australia and there are problems with hexes near the coasts. Fortunately, most of Australia is empty - so no changes were needed to most hexes.

Post #: 1212
RE: RHS 5 & 6.656 Comprehensive (and frozen) update - 5/3/2007 7:04:20 PM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: drw61

quote:

I just did some testing with EOS 6.678 with the slot commented out and when I used the “convert to PT boat tender (AGP)” option it crashed the game. I believe you are correct that slot 384 is hard coded; you need to have some type of PT tender in that slot to have the convert button work.

Ugly if true. Not that I understand PT boat tenders at all. Will investigate.

This class is an "AGP" in stock and CHS. Not sure what Matrix thinks AGP means - but code thinks it can be made to appear anywhere! Also it appears to have an amphibious command function (ACC). I think we need to put it back in but classify it as a tender - hard code probably means it will work as a PT tender and not being AGC probably means it won't appear anywhere - nor be a command ship.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/3/2007 7:08:00 PM >

(in reply to drw61)
Post #: 1213
RE: RHS 5 & 6.656 Comprehensive (and frozen) update - 5/3/2007 7:20:30 PM   
Kereguelen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: drw61

quote:

Ugly if true. Not that I understand PT boat tenders at all. Will investigate.

This class is an "AGP" in stock and CHS. Not sure what Matrix thinks AGP means - but code thinks it can be made to appear anywhere! Also it appears to have an amphibious command function (ACC). I think we need to put it back in but classify it as a tender - hard code probably means it will work as a PT tender and not being AGC probably means it won't appear anywhere - nor be a command ship.

AGP = Patrol Craft Tender

AGC = Amphibious Force Command Ship

Post #: 1214
RE: RHS 5 & 6.656 Comprehensive (and frozen) update - 5/3/2007 7:26:20 PM   
el cid again

A leading A should be Auxiliary. A G should be "gun". P usually means Patrol. C usually means Command. So all that makes some sense. But code (and WITP data sets) use AGP for some wierd things - and they appear like landing craft do when you call "create landing craft." Using USN taught nomenclature - AGP would be a patrol vessel - not a tender. Not that it may not have been used that way - there are anomolies. A tender - even if armed - would not normally be classified as a gunboat - nor would it be classified as a patrol vessel.

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 1215
RE: RHS X.7 file set plan - 5/8/2007 10:14:00 PM   
el cid again

RHS Level 7 pwhex files are now released.

Technical updates to Level 5 and 6 pwhex files will now be done - to make them achieve the same standard (EXCEPT that Australia will NOT be updated re communications codes).

Technical updates to all data files will also now be done. This is probably the last set of updates for Level 6 - which will not be more or less replaced by Level 7.

Post #: 1216
RE: RHS 6.77 file set uploaded (probably final) - 5/8/2007 11:38:34 PM   
el cid again

pwhex file set 6.77 - so numbered to indicate it is parallel to 7.77 - is uploaded.

it may be the last Level 6 pwhex set

Post #: 1217
RE: RHS 5 & 6.77 file sets uploaded (possably final) - 5/9/2007 12:01:05 AM   
el cid again

Level 5 pwhex set has also uploaded to the x.77 standard

Post #: 1218
RE: RHS 5 & 6.77 file sets uploaded (possably final) - 5/9/2007 1:11:11 AM   
m10bob

What changes have been done to this most recent ver 6.XX ??

Post #: 1219
RE: RHS 5 & 6.77 file sets uploaded (possably final) - 5/9/2007 7:25:36 AM   
el cid again

This is just a change to pwhex files - obscure technical stuff. A town in Mongolia gets road vice railroad. Access to certain glacier and wilderness hexes in North America is more restricted. An obscure minor Dutch island gains a trail.
Some Hemilaya mountains blocked hex sides are matched up.\

Pwhex changes may occur in a game already begun. There is no issue in this case of any sort.

There will be some data file updates for all scenarios. A few Allied MS will convert to two ship standard. A few USN LSTs will be added. A few technical tweeks to economic stockpiles. And in Level 7 CVO and RPO one or two towns need relocating in Australia. In all reports of location or ship erratta by Blitzk will be incorporated as well.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/9/2007 7:28:31 AM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 1220
RE: RHS 5 & 6.77 file sets uploaded (possably final) - 5/9/2007 11:27:17 AM   
m10bob

Thank you..Having a wonderful time in the Coral Sea at present.................

Post #: 1221
RE: RHS Level 6 Economic Utility uploaded (possably final) - 5/9/2007 11:00:00 PM   
el cid again

A revised economic spreadsheet has been made. It will be wholly in sync with the next (and probably last) data file set for Level 6 RHS scenarios. It slightly revises Capetown so its industry will work without tanker support - and there were minor revisions at several points when these applied to all RHS scenarios.

We may make a Level 5 utility if there is interest. We will add lines for a Level 7 one for sure.

Post #: 1222
RE: RHS 6.68 data files uploaded (semi-final, comprehen... - 5/12/2007 2:01:20 PM   
el cid again

This is a release of files corresponding to 7.68 - but these files are far more data washed. They are nearly in their final form - with only minor eratta and some planned ship additions/changes left to work in. While there will be one more Level 6 pwhex release - it differs only in very minor techincal ways from the present one - and won't pose any sort of problems for games in progress.

Level 5.68 files will follow in due course - followed by pwhex sets for all three levels - at which point we will shift to determined eratta hunting of things in Level 7 not present in 5 and 6. After that we may develop an AI oriented scenario, or do winter and spring/fall maps for RHS, or we may move on to a modern Pacific war (involving China), depending on interest. At that point we also should have folded in all the remaining ships.

A significant technical change is incorporated here: the sound detector is changed to be one representing both visual spotters and sound detectors.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/12/2007 10:31:54 PM >

Post #: 1223
RE: RHS 5 & .68 data files uploaded (semi-final, compre... - 5/12/2007 10:29:48 PM   
el cid again

Same remarks as Level 6.68 above

Post #: 1224
RE: RHS 5 & 6 update plan - 5/14/2007 1:19:24 PM   
el cid again

Working on Level 7 eratta, but cross checking, I have found enough issues to warrant a comprehensive update.
For example, all of Level 6 is missing the Aberdeen/Hoquiam (Washington) coast defense unit (with 12 inch guns).
A number of things were present in most scenarios but missing in at least one. Some were absent entirely in all of level 5 or level 6. A few were wrong in all. While I did the ships, there are still location issues to investigate.

Post #: 1225
RE: RHS 5 & 6 update plan - 5/16/2007 6:48:54 AM   
el cid again

Cobra writes he was down for 4 days. He is coming back up. I am wrapping up a comprehensive update - eratta oriented - and will issue it tomorrow.

Post #: 1226
RE: RHS 5 & 6 update plan - 5/16/2007 4:24:40 PM   
drw61

In EOS 7.68
On the ship availability screen, the Port of Arrival for a lot of Japanese and allied ships are listed as "Unknown".  I believe that these ships will just stay in the queue for the duration of the game.

Just read the post on ver 7 bugs and see that you know this one.
thanks

< Message edited by drw61 -- 5/16/2007 4:37:56 PM >

Post #: 1227
RE: RHS 5 & 6 update plan - 5/16/2007 9:08:16 PM   
el cid again

This isn't exactly a bug - it is a "feature" - and it is part of all mods. However, it does appear you may be right that many ships won't appear. These, in turn, fit a pattern: the ship class is far down the list of classes. It appears that AI decides to allocate available HI points in class order, and when it runs out, it stops going down the list. Next turn, it starts over - at the top. That implies you are not making enough HI points available for shipbuilding - and you have control over that to some degree. Spend less on armaments, on aircraft engines, on airframes, etc. And do not shut down shipbuilding centers. I tend to go the other way - allocating more to aircraft - and that is how the game works. Many ships in RHS were planned only - and only would appear if they had priority over other sorts of production.

Note, however, that the same thing is not happening to the Allies - good thing as they cannot allocate HI points -
and also probably meaning they are not so overallocated. The AI does often assign unknown ships to ports - and sometimes assigns ships with known ports to the unknown category - not sure why? Perhaps some of these are in locations that no longer are legal points of entry in a particular game? There also may be a relationship with local HI centers - thus a ship set to appear at a point with no shipyard may be less likely to appear. It may be that there are two stages in HI allocation - first to same hex ships - then in general to other ships - and if so that would explain why it "runs out" before it reaches a low level ship (class order wise) consistently. One can change the order of classes - but not the length of the list - nor the amount of HI points at any given point. One can capture more HI points, repair centers that make them, and insure centers that make them have enough oil and resources (giving you more HI points in future).

(in reply to drw61)
Post #: 1228
RE: RHS 5.69 & 6.69 comprehensive update issued - 5/16/2007 10:25:07 PM   
el cid again

These thoroughly datawashed data file updates are uploaded. There might be a final version of both - adding/changing a few ships - but otherwise these are virtually in final form. No ETA on that final version at this moment. Focused on Level 7 issues.

Post #: 1229
RE: RHS 5.691 & 6.691 micro update (Wake Island) - 5/19/2007 12:08:30 AM   
el cid again

In one hour I will release a microupdate to address Wake Island invasion TF issues in non EOS scenarios - and a few other technical things (adding LSTs and changing one HQ except in EOS to non EOS standards).

The x.70 release will be final for these levels - and will include the final LSTs and any other eratta - but no ETA for this at this point.

Post #: 1230
Page:   <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS 6.77 updates released (and semi-freezing) Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI