Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How to play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: How to play Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How to play - 9/22/2006 11:03:45 PM   
Nikademus

it sounds reasonable. AVG's most crucial advantage after the fall of Burma were location and Intel, along with the ability to choose whether to fight or not. (which they only did when conditions were in their favor)

Looks like they use the elite pilot rule to simulate the Zero bonus. Too bad it doesn't apply to Oscar Sentais.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 181
RE: How to play - 9/22/2006 11:38:51 PM   
Feinder

Has anyone actually read thru that AAR?

I’ve read up to 01-01-43.

It’s actually fairly interesting. I was also a little surprised how much it mirrors a WitP PBEM game. Short version :

a. Usual raid on Pearl Harbor. However, the Enterprise is also in port, and severely damaged (Japan thinks she is sunk).
b. Japan takes Port Moresby early with 3 Rgts. They land at Buna and march across Owen Stanley. Allies had time to reinforce, but did not by choice or did not have troops whatever. PM is bombed daily by anything in range, and isn’t allowed to be turned into any kind of base.
c. Fall of PI, SRA, and Burma, as usual. Japan continues to push to Ledo and Imphal.
d. Actually lines/possession of Myt-Ledo-Imphal are very back-n-forth all year.
e. Chinese also lend support in Burma, and push at Hanoi, but are pushed back. Chinese open offensives in China with fall of Myt and Ledo, China is cut off, so China offensive stalls. Japan captures a few Chinese cities, and then things settle down.
f. A CV-CV battle near Tarawa as I recall, about April. Allies get the short end. Hornet is sunk. No appreciable damage to KB.
g. Raid on PH by KB in Summer, sinks (probably) the slightly repaired Enterprise.
h. Another CV-CV battle near (?), in late May. 2 more Allied CVs sunk. Another Allied CV damaged. No appreciable damage to KB.
i. A raid by Allied CV near Aleutions in Sept(?) sinks Hosho, but Ranger is crippled. Don’t know if she get back to safety (AAR is Japan perspective).
j. Japan actually captures Darwin for a brief time. But is chased out by Oz Divs (evac covered by KB).
k. The weight of Allied LBA begins to be felt in Summer of 42 (Japan holding her own, at cost). But by November, attrition on is taking it’s toll.

Fortunately, many of the map locations are the same, so even in the absence of maps, you can still get a good feel of what is going on.
-F-

< Message edited by Feinder -- 9/22/2006 11:41:45 PM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 182
RE: How to play - 9/22/2006 11:55:34 PM   
Nikademus

wow....didn't Pearl have any air defenses?

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 183
RE: How to play - 9/23/2006 12:43:20 AM   
Grotius

Thanks for the suggestion on my attic. Yeah, I might be able to stand something in the middle of this room. I guess I'd have to attach some sort of wood support to the sheet (or sheets?) of galvanized metal. Unfortunately, shop wasn't my best class in high school. :)

In the meantime, I haven't had much luck googling "counter magnets" and the like. I suppose there isn't as big a market for these things as there might have been once. I found a reference to counter magnets at the following URL, but I know nothing about this company; I've e-mailed them to inquire about details.

http://www.thatgamestore.com/PLIST.HTM

I'll try my local hobby stores this weekend. But can anyone point me to a URL of a place that sells counter magnets?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 184
RE: How to play - 9/23/2006 8:47:40 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius
I'll try my local hobby stores this weekend. But can anyone point me to a URL of a place that sells counter magnets?

I found this site:

http://members.aol.com/hudsongame/aids.htm

They list them for $7.00 each, but there is no reference to how many in an order, so be sure to ask. If they have 80 in a box then I’d say it is a very reasonable price. Edit: Duh, yes he does reference the count, it's 80 to a box. I should not drink beer at night before attempting to read or comprehend what I'm reading.

Jim

P.S. be sure to buy everything at once in bulk, since he gives pretty good discounts for large orders. Check the discounts link at the bottom of the page.

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 9/23/2006 11:04:24 AM >

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 185
RE: How to play - 9/23/2006 5:12:48 PM   
Grotius

Excellent find, Jim! Um, how many do you think we need? Are there really 8,000 counters in this game? If so, um, that would be a lot of money on magnets. :)

Also, is there any danger in putting magnets in the same room as my PC? The magnets would be about 10 feet away.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 186
RE: How to play - 9/23/2006 5:35:54 PM   
Jim D Burns

It all depends on how many game surfaces you plan to lay flat on tables. I’d say 2000 (25 boxes) would be more than enough if you have all your other charts and tables laid out on tables, but if you plan to mount more than just your map on the horizontal plywood it’s really tough to call.

Perhaps 4000 total should do it, I don’t know. I personally will be getting another 2000 but it’s just a guess on my part as to what the beast will need in the end.

I should note these are reusable. I’ve used my magnets with many games and as long as you take the time to repackage them and store them away after each use, they should last you forever.

Also keep them about a foot away from your PC and monitor and you should be fine. They are not strong magnets individually but a large pile of them might be enough to cause some trouble with your PC, I don’t know. Better to be safe than sorry.

Jim

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 187
RE: How to play - 9/23/2006 8:06:12 PM   
Procrustes

Don't store them with your old floppy disks or data/vcr tapes!  (If you still have any, that is....)

Post #: 188
RE: How to play - 9/23/2006 8:50:37 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Excellent find, Jim! Um, how many do you think we need? Are there really 8,000 counters in this game? If so, um, that would be a lot of money on magnets. :)

Also, is there any danger in putting magnets in the same room as my PC? The magnets would be about 10 feet away.

For WITP, not that many of the counters will actually be "on the map". Most are used on displays that can lay flat on a table somewhere. 2500 shoulod be more than plenty unless you want to mount EVERYTHING on the wall.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 189
RE: How to play - 9/23/2006 9:24:14 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Also keep them about a foot away from your PC and monitor and you should be fine. They are not strong magnets individually but a large pile of them might be enough to cause some trouble with your PC, I don’t know. Better to be safe than sorry.

At work once I picked up about a 16" long semi-round bar magnet that was on a friends desk and wiped it across the top of his CRT as he was typing. The screen colors changed to a rainbow-like effect all the way across and our faces changed to . I wiped it back in the other direction (as close to reversing every movement as I could) and the screen went back to normal.

Post #: 190
RE: How to play - 9/24/2006 7:00:37 AM   
wdolson

CRTs use magnetism to paint the picture on the screen. There is an electron gun in the back of the tube that shoots a stream of electrons at the phosphor on the glass. There are electromagnets around the tube that are varied to redirect the beam to different parts of the screen. If the magnets go out, you will just have a single spot in the middle of the screen.

Running a magnet around a monitor will mess up the electron beam. The effects could be just until you take away the magnet, or they may remain until you degauss the tube. It all depends on whether something got magnetized by your running the magnet around.

LCD monitors aren't subject to this since they make the picture a completely different way.

Bill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 191
RE: How to play - 9/24/2006 7:21:14 AM   
Procrustes

My wife bought a big new CRT tv when we where dating.  Squeezed it into the car then struggled to get it home - put it on a stand between two two bookshelf speakers with big, heavy magnets inside.  Of course the picture was all warped and distorted, so she hauled the thing back and made them give her a new one.  When I came up for the weekend she was ready to take me back with her to get a third.  (I moved the speakers - it's been fine since.)

I believe you can buy sheilded speakers if you need them.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 192
RE: How to play - 10/11/2006 11:50:25 PM   
rokohn

If buying all those counter clips is a problem, here are two suggestions.

1.  Keep the ship counters for each TF in old style ice cube trays.  The only problem with that may be keeping track of where each ship is.

2.  Keep airbase info on paper, or design a spreadsheet to keep track of the planes.

My game group enjoyed "War in Europe" for several years.  One day someone came up with a series of magazine articles that gave the rules for "War in the World".  It was an attempt to adapt the planes, ships and supply rules from WitP to WiE and link the two games.  We actually played that monster through the first summer of 41 before we quit.  I played the English, and you may be assured that with two years of fore-knowledge of what was going to happen to Singapore there was no way it was going to fall.  I was definitely going to have more than 6 carriers waiting for them.

Do the rules in WitP still have one type of supply so that you can ship food in tankers?  In the original version, Tankers and Oilers were given Speed Class 2 rating, making them faster then vanilla merchants.  Not only could they resupply oil to TF's at sea, but could also supply land units and airbases.

I wanted to get the new WitP, but could not justify the expense.  Besides, most of the time I play WoW with my daughters, friends at work and my brother in Denver.  The first strategy game that allows real time interaction like Everquest and WoW should be a real hit.  (Board style, not first person shooter.)

I am beginning to ramble . . . .

Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult;
. . .
Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you;
rebuke a wise man and he will love you.
Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still;
teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 193
RE: How to play - 8/3/2007 2:26:51 AM   
Grotius

Pardon me for resurrecting an old thread, but I have been trying to learn this game solitaire, and I have loads of questions.  I don't see a "forum" at the Decision Games site.  Is there an appropriate site at which to post rather detailed questions about the rules?

(in reply to rokohn)
Post #: 194
RE: How to play - 8/3/2007 2:29:52 AM   
wworld7

quote:

Pardon me for resurrecting an old thread, but I have been trying to learn this game solitaire, and I have loads of questions.  I don't see a "forum" at the Decision Games site.  Is there an appropriate site at which to post rather detailed questions about the rules?

If you are asking about Matrix WITP rules I would say ask here. If not, I have no clue.

< Message edited by flipperwasirish -- 8/3/2007 2:31:46 AM >

Flipper

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 195
RE: OT-Decision Games WitP - 8/3/2007 3:40:31 AM   
Knavey

Not the oldest thread to ever be resurrected here.  Wish I had a few bucks to spare and Feinder lived a bit closer. 

< Message edited by Knavey -- 8/4/2007 7:25:37 AM >

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 196
RE: How to play - 9/11/2007 9:48:26 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

Consimworld is the only one I know of, but if you ask there they may point you to others. The thread is burried deep in the forms so here's a direct link:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?50@569.NY2jdsUOiKO.7@.1dd0b18b

Here's consimworlds main page:

http://www.consimworld.com/

Jim

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 197
RE: How to play - 9/12/2007 5:16:01 AM   
Grotius

Thanks, Jim. I would've responded earlier to this thread, but lightning struck my house and fried all my PCs, so I've been offline for a while.

I managed to play out my solitaire scenario of Midway after much re-reading of the rules. It was quite fun, but a big ratio of rule-reading-time to gameplay-time. Also, I sent an email to the guy who supposedly takes questions, but I never heard back.

The site you linked has some interesting reactions to this mammoth boardgame. The consensus seems to be: great game, more historically accurate than most, but overwhelming detail that makes it almost unplayable. Notice the "almost", though. :P

Post #: 198
RE: How to play - 9/12/2007 8:14:33 AM   
ilovestrategy

Wow reading this thread reminded me of the time I spilled Dr. Pepper on top of a CRT monitor. My face went  when it stopped working! I took off the back,let it dry and viola! It came back on again. Then my face was like this 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 199
RE: How to play - 9/12/2007 11:00:16 PM   
MineSweeper

I still have the original SPI version in storage....I played it only a couple of times(never finished it) - years ago..... it is a huge game (would not even fit on the Ping-Pong Table)

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 200
RE: OT-Decision Games WitP - 9/13/2007 12:17:49 AM   
pad152

160 hrs? You must be kidding, you forgot to mention the 4-car empty garage to setup and play the dam thing an some say WITP takes to much time to play!

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 201
RE: OT-Decision Games WitP - 1/2/2008 5:18:11 AM   
madgamer2

As one large closet and several under counter cupboards will attest to I to had the board game bug and bigger always seemed better but after spending several weeks (week ends) playing SPI's TSS I lost the board game buying altogether due to
1. lack of players
2.lack of space
3.to much time fighting about the rules
4the effort just to examine and move a bunch of counters being careful to not violate some stupid rule
For those of you who still aspire to buy collect and even play such games as this i congaratulate you and feel sorry for you at the same time LOL I am glad that I no longer long for a game on a board with several thousand counters.

Now if I could just get some person who would give me a good price for all the games,mags, board games large and small (including some rare SPI and other games) I would consider it a blessing...may be eBAY if I ever get the time to even think about making a list of them (SIGH)

Post #: 202
RE: OT-Decision Games WitP - 1/2/2008 5:26:17 AM   
madgamer2

I have seen game lists from various collectors and what they are willing to pay for say SPI games of old. SPI used to publish Quad game Packs that were 4 different battles using the same rules that in some cases could be combined into one game.
The one's that seem to most valuable today are games that did not sell well well then. A few years ago I saw a list of prices and the SPI quad on the Crimeian War was worth at least $300-450 depending on condition. I should dig out my copy along with others and list them on eBy but I just can't seem to find the time and interest to do so.

Lawrence

(in reply to Oliver Heindorf)
Post #: 203
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: How to play Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI