Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Summary of Operations 12/14/42

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Summary of Operations 12/14/42 Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Summary of Operations 12/14/42 - 3/21/2008 9:38:40 PM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/14/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 154 days. A mostly quiet day everywhere.

Central Pacific: Same pattern of Japanese air patrol activity reported by U.S. subs around Kwajalein. Jap ASW TF's emerge from Kwajalein and attack three U.S. subs (SS Sturgeon, Sunfish, Perch) patrolling in the area. AAR's follow. SS Sturgeon and Sunfish both received heavy damage and now returning to Pearl Harbor for repair (both subs expected to make it). The Sunfish was hit, though AAR's do not show this (synch bug?).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 84,84

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 6
PG Tamo Maru #6
DD Numakaze
DD Maikaze

Allied Ships
SS Sturgeon, hits 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 83,83

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 20
PC Ch 12
PC Ch 10
PC Ch 5
PC Ch 4
APD Patrol Boat No. 2
APD Patrol Boat No. 1
DD Nokaze
DD Minekaze

Allied Ships
SS Sunfish

Sub attack at 84,86

Japanese Ships
MSW Tama Maru No. 2
PC Ch 11
PG Hakkaisan Maru
PG Fukui Maru
MSW Seki Maru #3
MSW Rikusen Maru
MSW Kaiyo Maru #3
MSW Hinode Maru #18
MSW Hinode Maru #17
MSW Asahi Maru No. 2

Allied Ships
SS Perch

ASW attack at 83,83

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 20
PC Ch 12
PC Ch 10
PC Ch 5
PC Ch 4
APD Patrol Boat No. 2
APD Patrol Boat No. 1
DD Nokaze
DD Minekaze

Allied Ships
SS Sunfish

No Japanese air activity reported by U.S. subs around Pago Pago or Canton Is.

Jap recon over Penhryn Is.

Sigint report for 12/14 includes entry indicating Japanese 5 AF Construction Bn is now located on Gardner Is. Previous location of 5 AF Construction Bn was Singapore.

South Pacific: Jap recon again over Norfolk Is, otherwise quiet.

Australia: No ground or air combat action. Jap recon over Tennant Creek.

F-5A recon over Darwin reports a second Jap TF now in Darwin (+1 from last report), 45 aircraft (38 bombers), otherwise no detected change in Jap forces.

Hudson I recon over Exmouth reporting Jap TF still in Exmouth, A6M2 fighters on CAP, 5 Jap LCU's (no change).
Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reports A6M3 fighters on CAP, 71 aircraft (15 fighters, 7 bombers), 5 Jap LCU's (no change).

India/Burma: Jap recon flights over Imphal, Chittagong, Dimapur.

RAF and AVG fighters launch fighter sweep over Jap base at Magwe. AAR follows.

Day Air attack on Magwe , at 31,29

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 15
A6M3 Zero x 6
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 12
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 15

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb x 59
P-40E Warhawk x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
A6M3 Zero: 2 damaged
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 3 destroyed, 9 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb: 7 destroyed, 37 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 7 destroyed, 10 damaged

F-5A recon over Rangoon reports heavy industry 112(81), 3 Jap TF's (-1 from last report), 177 aircraft (47 fighters, 55 bombers), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking, Tuyun, Liuchow. Otherwise quiet.

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 571
Game question... - 3/21/2008 9:54:17 PM   
wneumann

Game question on air units – comments or ideas from readers welcome.

What I am looking at here is “bumping up” pilot experience levels in some air units now on reserve in rear-area bases. The method I am considering to do this will be done for a small number of air units and probably very gradually.

This process is worthwhile largely due to the timing (end of the year). Air units disbanded in 1942 would return in 1943, this situation causing or increasing the change of pilot experience levels in an air unit. Doing this is also worthwhile only for the lowest experienced air units where pilot experience is considerably below that of the "standard pilot experience level" currently in effect for the air unit's appropriate pilot replacement pool.

The procedure I intend to follow is disbanding selected air units is as follows –

1) Selecting several air units at a time to disband. The conditions stated later in this post will be used to determine which air units to disband. Air units with the lowest overall pilot experience levels would be disbanded first.

2) Disbanding the air units using the option (Yes) to reform the disbanded air unit and return it to the game in 90 days. Both pilots and planes from a disbanded air unit go into the replacement pools.

3) When the disbanded air unit returns to the game in 90 days, it's expected to return with planes of the same aircraft type as it had before disbanding, with new pilots drawn from the replacement pool at the current experience level of pilots in the appropriate replacement pool for the air unit.

What this process does in effect… To use an example from the display below, the 329th fighter squadron now in San Francisco. The 329th is equipped with P-39’s (more than 300 currently in the aircraft replacement pool) and an overall pilot experience level of 53. Expected upgrade for the 329th is to P-38G’s. I do not expect to deploy the 329th to front-line service before it receives P-38G’s and it is expected to remain on the U.S. west coast until I have somewhere I can usefully employ it in front-line service. If the 329th is disbanded in 12/42, the 329th should re-appear as a reinforcement sometime in 3/43 with its overall pilot experience level increased from 53 (its current level) to 60 (the standard pool experience of U.S. Army pilots in 1943).

Air units being considered for this action fall in a category for which most or all the following conditions apply. The air unit display I show below contains a number of air units that would qualify for disbandment and return,

1) Air units now located at rear-area bases (all or nearly all of the air units being considered now at U.S. west coast bases).

2) As of now, air units where overall pilot experience level < 55. This could later be expanded to some air units where pilot experience levels < 60.

3) Air units that are currently equipped with planes of an aircraft type where a large number of planes exist in the replacement pool, and the air unit is expected to return to the game equipped with planes of the same aircraft type as it has now. (i.e. my most likely candidates from the display below are squadrons equipped with P-39’s, the replacement pool for P-39’s now has 300+ aircraft and no Allied squadrons equipped with P-39’s are now in front-line service)

4) Air units not being employed on a mission other than training, and the mission is not expected to change.

5) These air units are not expected to be needed for front-line service within the next 4-6 months.

It should be noted that this process is intended for a very small number of qualifying air units, and almost all of the air units being considered are fighter squadrons.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by wneumann -- 3/21/2008 10:02:57 PM >

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 572
RE: Game question... - 3/22/2008 1:01:57 AM   
Cathartes

Doesn't seem worth it to me.  A 5 point experience spread is no big deal.  A few days in combat or striking an airbase and you're practically there anyway. You might be better off ramping up training to 100% and have them at 60 experience, or close, by the time they would return anyway.  Also, any pilot attrition from training and replacement would bump them up faster in all probability.  Army pilots are plentiful, so no big deal to lose 'em.  

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 573
RE: Game question... - 3/22/2008 11:40:09 AM   
Alfred

Agree with Cathartes.  Major benefits accrue when the experience level is in the 70%+ range, not 60%.  Also the example quoted of the 329th FS might be considered gamey by the opponent.

Alfred

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 574
RE: Game question... - 3/22/2008 9:55:54 PM   
wneumann

I see your point, Cathartes. As I continue looking at this (and adding in both your and Alfred's remarks) the benefits of doing the process I describe are marginal vs letting them continue training. And as I also noted earlier, the number of air units I can do this with would be very limited as well.

Setting the training level higher on these air units is looking more and more to be the better approach. I'll have to monitor their "progress" to rest them now and then when pilot fatigue and/or damaged aircraft levels get too high. I'd still disband the squadrons if I needed either the aircraft or pilots as replacements in the short term, but neither the aircraft nor pilots are required in the present situation.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 575
Summary of Operations 12/15/42 - 3/22/2008 10:33:16 PM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/15/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 153 days.

Central Pacific: U.S. submarines near Kwajalein reporting Jap carrier air patrols again (Kates & Vals) in addition to the recent pattern of Jap air patrols. The KB is still in Kwajalein.

Jap air activity quiet near Pago Pago and Canton Is. Jap recon flight over Penhryn. Otherwise quiet.

South Pacific. Again a Jap recon flight over Norfolk. Everything else continues to be quiet in this theater.

Australia: No air or ground combat to report. Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek.

F-5A recon over Darwin still reporting two Jap TF's in Darwin, 34 aircraft (24 bombers), otherwise no detected change in Jap forces.
Hudson I recon over Exmouth reports A6M2 fighters on CAP, Jap TF has left Exmouth, 5 Jap LCU's (no change).
Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reports A6M3 fighters on CAP, an unidentified Jap TF now in Port Moresby, otherwise no detected change in Jap forces.

RAF Blenheim bombers hit Jap airfield at Mandalay, Jap bombers attack Allied airfield in Imphal. AAR's for both follow.

Day Air attack on Mandalay , at 33,29

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 18
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 23

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb x 31
Blenheim IV x 42

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged
Ki-61-Ib Tony: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb: 10 destroyed, 11 damaged
Blenheim IV: 3 destroyed, 14 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
25 casualties reported

Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
9 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
9 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
3 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
2 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet

Day Air attack on Imphal , at 34,26

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
A6M3 Zero x 2
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 3
Ki-21-II Sally x 15
Ki-49 Helen x 24
Ki-48-II Lily x 21

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-II Sally: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 9 damaged
Ki-48-II Lily: 2 destroyed, 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb: 5 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 10

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 16000 feet
9 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 14000 feet
3 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 18000 feet
6 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 16000 feet
4 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 21000 feet
3 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 14000 feet
7 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 18000 feet
3 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 18000 feet
3 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 16000 feet
3 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 21000 feet
3 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 16000 feet

F-5A recon over Rangoon reporting 2 Jap TF's (-1 from last report, though the Jap ASW TF attacking the Dutch SS O-24 accounts for the missing TF), heavy industry 113(80), 213 aircraft (61 fighters, 45 bombers), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

Dutch SS O-24 on patrol off Rangoon attacked and moderately damaged by Jap ASW TF (probably from Rangoon). O-24 is returning to base for repairs and expected to arrive. AAR follows.

Sub attack at 29,34 (the Jap TF below made a separate ASW attack later on the O-24, identical AAR for that action)

Japanese Ships
DD Kiji
DD Sagi
DD Kikuzuki
DD Inazuma
DD Yugure
DD Kawakaze
DD Michishio

Allied Ships
SS O24, total of 4 hits (two actions combined)

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking, Liuchow, Chengtu, Tuyun, Kungching. Several reports and actions of intel value related to Japanese LCU's Pillager withdrew from front-line positions as follows.

A ground attack mission flown by Chinese IL-4 bombers located and hit the Jap 40th Division in Wuchow. This is the second contact with 40 Division since 12/11 (that contact was in hex 44,38).

A squadron of Chinese P-43A Lancers detected and attacked the Japanese 22nd Division in hex 43,39 (NE of Wuchow). 22 Division is another of the Jap LCU's Pillager withdrew from the front in late 11/42. Most recent known location of 22 Division was hex 43,37 on 12/6/42.

Sigint report for 12/15 included an entry reporting Jap 27 Engineer Rgt in hex 50,37 near Nanking. 27 Engineer Rgt is yet another Jap LCU pulled out of the front. From this report, 27 Engineers could be moving to Nanking, another possible destination being Shanghai. If the 27 Engineers does move to Shanghai, Pillager is likely intending to transfer it out of China to parts unknown. Guess we'll all have to stay tuned for further developments...

< Message edited by wneumann -- 3/22/2008 10:42:22 PM >

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 576
RE: Summary of Operations 12/15/42 - 3/23/2008 10:26:55 AM   
Alfred

A poster in another thread just recently stated that disbanded Japanese air units return with untrained pilots, not pilots at the reinforcement experience rate.

Alfred

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 577
Summary of Operations 12/16/42 - 3/24/2008 5:20:39 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/16/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 152 days.

Central Pacific: U.S. submarines near Kwajalein reporting a sharp decrease in all Jap air patrols (including both carrier based and LBA). Also Jap air activity remains quiet near Pago Pago and Canton Is.

Jap recon flight over Penhryn. Otherwise quiet.

South Pacific: Again a Jap recon flight over Norfolk. Everything else continues quiet in this theater.

Australia: Jap fighter sweep and bombing raid against Cooktown. AAR's follow.

Day Air attack on Cooktown , at 48,100

Japanese aircraft (aircraft on this raid came from Thursday Is - now apparently an operational Jap airfield)
A6M2 Zero x 26

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 2 damaged

Day Air attack on Cooktown , at 48,100

Japanese aircraft (aircraft on this raid came from Port Moresby)
A6M3a Zero x 3
G5N Liz x 3

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
G5N Liz: 2 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G5N Liz bombing at 10000 feet

F-5A recon over Darwin reporting no Jap TF's (-2 from last report), 9 disbanded ships in port (+2 from last report), 36 aircraft (27 bombers), 2 Jap LCU's (no change).

Hudson I recon over Exmouth reports A6M2 fighters on CAP, no detected change in Jap forces.
Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reports A6M3 fighters on CAP, Jap TF no longer in Port Moresby (-1 from last report), 5 Jap LCU's (no change).

India/Burma: Jap recon flights over Imphal, Dimapur, Chittagong. No combat actions to report

Detected status of Jap base in Mandalay - 62 aircraft (25 fighters, 10 bombers), 6 Jap LCU's.
F-5A recon flight over Rangoon reporting 3 Jap TF's (+1 from last report, Jap ASW TF that attacked Dutch sub O-24 on 12/15 has probably returned), 231 aircraft (63 fighters, 53 bombers), heavy industry 114(79).

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking, Tuyun.

Chinese P-43A Lancer aircraft on ground attack hit Japanese 2 Engineer Rgt again at hex 43,39 as it entered this hex from 43,38 (see 12/15 Summary of Operations).

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 578
RE: Summary of Operations 12/16/42 - 3/26/2008 2:48:33 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/17/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 151 days.

Central Pacific: For a second day, U.S. submarines near Kwajalein reporting little Japanese air patrol activity (either carrier based or LBA).

Sigint report for 12/17 includes entry indicating Jap 21 NLF is now located at Sydney Is (near Canton Is). Last known location of 21 NLF was at Tenimbar on 5/18/42.

Jap recon flight over Penhryn.

South Pacific: Again a Jap recon flight over Norfolk. Everything else still quiet.

Australia: No air or ground combat action to report. Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek.

No recon flight over Darwin, however, detected status of Jap base in Darwin is 30 aircraft (22 bombers), 8 disbanded ships in port (-1 from last report), 2 Jap LCU's (no change).

Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reporting two Jap TF's now in Port Moresby (+2 from last report), more significantly 9 Jap LCU's (+4 from last report). Do we have a build-up in progress?

Hudson I recon over Exmouth reports A6M2 fighters on CAP, 82 aircraft (9 fighters, 21 bombers), 5 Jap LCU's (no change).

Jap minefield detected in Colombo. AK Risalder struck a mine while passing through the Colombo sea hex (it was part of a supply transport TF bound for Trincomalee) - Risalder moderately damaged and is continuing to Trincomalee.

Jap fighter sweep over Imphal. AAR follows.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 28
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 23

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 1 damaged
Ki-61-Ib Tony: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb: 5 destroyed, 7 damaged

Pilot experience levels of most Hurricane I squadrons is in the 60's, some squadrons now close to 70 experience. This with a fairly acceptable level of (Allied) attrition for both aircraft and pilots.

F-5A recon over Rangoon reporting 3 Jap TF's (no change), 214 aircraft (60 fighters, 46 bombers), heavy industry 115(78), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

Question: When looking at counts of aircraft detected at Jap bases, do these counts represent all aircraft (both operational and damaged planes) at the base, or only aircraft in operational status? Granted, these counts can at best be regarded as an estimate with fog of war and everything.

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking, Chengtu, Tuyun. Current situation map follows.

A third Chinese ground attack air mission located and hit the Jap 40th Division, this time in hex 43,40 (SE of Wuchow). It appears that 40 Division is moving from Wuchow towards Canton or Hong Kong.

Is Pillager shipping 40 Division (and other Jap LCU's) out of China to use elsewhere? Hard to say... And if so, what for? Also hard to say... Pillager has shown to be either an aggressive or conservative opponent as the situation dictates. If Pillager is moving Jap LCU(s) out of China to employ elsewhere, it could be for most any purpose, either offensive or defensive. On my part, I have to watch and catch any available intel data indicating which LCU(s) he is or may be moving and where they appear next. Until then, I can make no assessment of this movement.

1943 in this PBEM could be a rather interesting year. I'm not expecting it to be easy. Someday the Phony War is going to inevitably end. On my terms I can only hope... So far I teetered on the edge of the "learning cliff" and managed not to go over the side.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by wneumann -- 3/26/2008 2:59:30 AM >

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 579
RE: Summary of Operations 12/18/42 - 3/27/2008 12:24:59 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/18/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 150 days.

Central Pacific: U.S. submarines near Kwajalein again report little Japanese air patrol activity (either carrier based or LBA).

U.S. sub Perch attacked by Jap ASW TF southeast of Kwajalein. Perch received light damage and remaining on patrol. AAR follows.

ASW attack at 84,86

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 11
PG Hakkaisan Maru
PG Fukui Maru
MSW Tama Maru No. 2
MSW Seki Maru #3
MSW Rikusen Maru
MSW Kaiyo Maru #3
MSW Hinode Maru #18
MSW Hinode Maru #17
MSW Asahi Maru No. 2

Allied Ships
SS Perch, hits 3

South Pacific: All sectors reporting quiet.

Australia: U.S. A-20 bombers hit Japanese airfield in Daly Waters, Jap fighter sweep and recon over Tennant Creek. AAR's follow.

Detected status of Jap base in Daly Waters - 51 aircraft (24 fighters), 14 Jap LCU's, no detected airfield damage.

Day Air attack on Daly Waters , at 35,90

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 2
A-20B Boston x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
A-20B Boston: 2 destroyed, 15 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
32 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x A-20B Boston bombing at 10000 feet
8 x A-20B Boston bombing at 10000 feet
4 x A-20B Boston bombing at 10000 feet
3 x A-20B Boston bombing at 10000 feet
2 x A-20B Boston bombing at 10000 feet

Day Air attack on Tennant Creek , at 34,95

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 50
A6M3 Zero x 18
A6M3a Zero x 20
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed
A6M3a Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-46-II Dinah: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 8 destroyed

F-5A recon over Darwin reporting 37 aircraft (23 bombers), no detected change in Jap forces.
Hudson I recon over Exmouth reports A6M2 fighters on CAP, one Jap TF in Exmouth (+1 from last report), 5 Jap LCU's (no change).
Hudson I recon over Thursday Island reported 2 Jap LCU's.
Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reports no Jap TF's (-2 from last report), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

Unidentified Jap submarine detected off Colombo. Allied minesweeping operations underway in Colombo.

Several small night bombing raids were carried out by RAF Blenheims against Jap airfields in Magwe and Mandalay. Light damage to Mandalay airfield, otherwise no significant results.

F-5A recon over Rangoon reporting 3 Jap TF's (+1 from last report, one TF has a BB?), heavy industry 116(77), 9 Jap LCU's (no change), 225 aircraft (60 fighters, 52 bombers).

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking, Tuyun, Sining, Liuchow.

Sigint report for 12/18 includes entry indicating Jap 26th Division now located in Anking. 26 Division is yet another LCU Pillager withdrew from front-line positions in late 11/42. Last known location of 26 Division was Kweilin on 11/25/42. It's hard to determine anything definate from this sighting, but possible that 26 Division is moving towards Shanghai?

< Message edited by wneumann -- 3/27/2008 12:25:46 AM >

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 580
Summary of Operations 12/19/42 - 3/28/2008 5:57:10 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/19/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 149 days.

Central Pacific: Unidentified Japanese sub detected by several U.S. patrol aircraft at Palmyra. An ASW task force is being formed in Palmyra to engage this sub from disbanded U.S. SC's and MSW's in port there.

U.S. submarine Perch reporting numerous contacts with Jap carrier aircraft (both Kates and Vals) on patrol flights, along with E13A1 Jake scout planes and a stray Ki-49 Helen. KB hasn't left Kwajalein.

South Pacific: Jap recon flight over Norfolk Is. Otherwise quiet.

Australia: A rather successful port bombing attack by U.S. B-17 bombers against disbanded Japanese ships in Darwin. AAR follows. It was nice hitting all those AP's.

Day Air attack on Darwin , at 36,84

Allied aircraft
F-5A Lightning x 3
B-17D Fortress x 24
B-17E Fortress x 21

Allied aircraft losses
F-5A Lightning: 1 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 1 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Kiyama Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Nichiran Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Tanba Maru, Bomb hits 1
AP Kofuku Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Tofuku Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Nissho Maru, Bomb hits 1
AP Komeyama Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
16 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Port hits 3
Port supply hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-17E Fortress bombing at 10000 feet
4 x B-17D Fortress bombing at 10000 feet
6 x B-17D Fortress bombing at 10000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing at 10000 feet
3 x B-17D Fortress bombing at 10000 feet
2 x B-17D Fortress bombing at 10000 feet

F-5A recon over Darwin reported 8 disbanded ships in port (-1 from last report), 101 aircraft (31 fighters, 25 bombers), 2 Jap LCU's (no change). Appears the bombing raid on Darwin diverted some Jap fighters from Daly Waters.

Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek.

Hudson I recon over Exmouth reporting A6M2 fighters on CAP, no Jap TF remaining in Exmouth, 5 Jap LCU's (no change).
Hudson I recon over Thursday Is reports A6M3 fighters on CAP, 3 Jap LCU's (+1 from last report).
Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reporting one Jap TF still in Port Moresby, 9 Jap LCU's (no change), 8 disbanded ships now in port (+8 from last report).

India/Burma: Allied minesweeping ops continue in Colombo, contact lost with Jap sub near Colombo. Jap recon flights over Imphal, Dimapur, Chittagong.

Several small night bombing raids again carried out by RAF Blenheims against Jap airfield in Magwe. No significant results reported.

A small day bombing raid by RAF Vengeance dive bombers against Jap airfield at Mandalay. AAR reports no Allied planes lost, minor damage to airfield facilities in Mandalay.

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking, Chengtu, Pakhoi, Liuchow.

A ground attack mission flown by Chinese IL-4 bombers located and hit Japanese 116th Division in hex 48,36. Previous location of this division was hex 45,35 on 12/2/42. 116 Division was not one of the Jap LCU's identified in the group Pillager withdrew from front-line positions in late 11/42. However, this LCU also moved back from the front lines.

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 581
Summary of Operations 12/19/42 - 3/28/2008 5:59:38 AM   
wneumann

Current display of Victory Status and Political Points.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 582
RE: Summary of Operations 12/19/42 - 3/28/2008 11:48:15 AM   
Alfred

Looks like you could be in danger of an auto loss in early 1943.  Are you disregarding auto victory conditions?

Alfred

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 583
RE: Summary of Operations 12/19/42 - 3/28/2008 9:59:36 PM   
Cathartes

What are you doing with all those PPs?  Saving them for a rainy day?  

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 584
RE: Summary of Operations 12/19/42 - 3/29/2008 6:44:36 PM   
wneumann

Alfred,

I've been aware of Jap auto-victory conditions for some time. The VP score in mid-'42 was even more in Pillager's favor than it is now - the score's been very slowly shifting towards the Allies since then. For a considerable part of this PBEM my thought was to concede the Jap auto loss in 1/43 and keep going. Also keep a (sort of) historical flow to the PBEM rather than playing an ahistoric "two-minute drill" in Nov-Dec 1942 (the real life War in the Pacific not having a VP score) . The victory point margin in Pillager's favor I contribute to the following (this list is probably not complete, nor should the list be considered an excuse).

1) Experience with WitP. I started this PBEM with Pillager not knowing exactly what to expect. I had played one AI as Allies with Stock scenario 15. Playing Stock AI does not fully prepare you for either CHS or a human-vs-human match. CHS is a very different game (and in many respects, a better one). Playing vs a human opponent compared to AI is self-explanatory. This match-up with Pillager is my first WitP game with CHS, and my first vs a human opponent.

2) Taking the "Robin Hood" strategy a little too far. Without going too far into discussing the strategy, it does trade territory away to buy one several things... time being most noteworthy. For me to have any reasonable chance of winning in 1945, two actions on my part were necessary in 1942. First was to buy time, second to conserve Allied forces so that I would have something to execute a comeback with. The problem with the "Robin Hood" strategy is that it trades time for VP. Maybe I bought a bit too much time.

3) The learning "cliff" (as one forum contributer puts it, and quite accurately). The "Robin Hood" strategy bought me time to familiarize with a number of things, including... CHS itself, Pillager as an opponent, capabilities (or lack thereof) of Allied forces and equipment in the game, life vs a human opponent, the list goes on.

4) All other things being equal - defense is a less costly means of climbing the "learning cliff" than attack. Mistakes on defence also (usually) being less fatal than mistakes done on offence. Attacks that are (one or more of the following) ill-conceived, ill-executed, or should never have been done in the first place accomplish nothing at best (and often less than nothing). Until one knows when and how to attack effectively, often it is not wise to do so.

5) Preserving Allied forces. Until I reached a point where I can use them effectively (for either defense or offense), the best alternative course is keeping as much as possible intact or as intact as possible to fight another day. There are forces you are going to lose anyway, or need to lose to delay a Jap advance - those can be lost. Save those that can be used later for a time I can employ them effectively - I looked at this in terms of both saving Allied forces until I know how to effectively use them and also that the Allied forces I save now would be more effective later.

Losing the entire Allied carrier force in early or mid-1942 in an ill-conceived counterattack isn't particularly productive for buying time, keeping the VP score close, defending territory, the Allies making a comeback later, or anything else. The two British CV's I lost off Exmouth (Australia) in 5/42 would have happened on a much larger scale had I threw in the U.S. carriers at Pillager. The same applies to other Allied forces (air, ground, and sea) as well.

6) Much of Pillager's conquest in the South Pacific (Noumea, Pago Pago, Suva, Canton) was a result of my not getting U.S. forces into this area in time to stop a Japanese advance. The KB has a formidable reputation in WitP (and in the forums). Pillager made several successful attacks against Allied convoys travelling from the U.S. to the South Pacific or Australia. While these attacks did not claim much in terms of Allied losses (ships or cargo), they were sufficient to "paralyze" my movement of U.S. forces in this direction. I could possibly plead "guilty" to overestimating Japanese capabilities (I think readers can more accurately determine the degree of guilt)

Pillager has turned out to be a good opponent for my first step into WitP PBEM. I'm not familiar with Pillager's level of experience level in WitP in general, or playing the Japanese side of the game. I suspect we're roughly equal or at least we're playing that way. I'd certainly continue this PBEM beyond a 1/43 Jap auto victory (if one occurs). Pillager and I have put more than a year (of real time) into this PBEM. Also the value of playing experience (especially mid to late war) if we continue - the experience could be as useful to Pillager as to myself. I don't know where he stands so I'll let him speak to that.

The game from this point forward can be viewed as a very playable 1943 (and on) campaign scenario with relatively intact forces on both sides and a well-positioned Japanese outer defensive perimeter. Put victory points aside.

I also have some discussion in this string (back during the 6 or 7/42 turns) about my views of continuing the game beyond a Jap auto victory in 1/43. You're welcome to go back and look.

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 585
RE: Summary of Operations 12/19/42 - 3/29/2008 7:20:05 PM   
wneumann

Cathartes,

Except for reassigning Allied units from restricted commands (USAFFE, Asiatic Fleet, ABDA, Malaya) for evacuation, I have had little or no need to spend PP's since Feb-March '42.

I also have not reassigned any "West Coast" U.S. air units and LCU's, mainly because there has been nowhere I needed to send them up to this point in the game. With the Japanese controlling all major bases in the South Pacific beyond the Line Islands, the majority of U.S. forces are compressed into an area east of the line Aleutian Is - Midway - Johnston - Palmyra. This has also disrupted the flow of U.S. shipping to Australia/New Zealand to where large U.S. forces could not be safely transported there. Thus... nearly all the U.S. "West Coast" forces are still on the West Coast.

Keeping U.S. "West Coast" forces on the West Coast as a result of the overall situation has unintentially resulted in a substantial strategic reserve.

The stash of PP's will be quite useful in unleashing U.S. "West Coast" forces in large numbers and very quickly. It won't be my rainy day, the rain will fall on Tojo. I have more than enough PP's and other resources to do so, and do it quickly at the time and place of choosing.

I'm also aware U.S. LCU's assigned to HQ West Coast can be moved to India by transfer to HQ Southeast Asia. This includes three divisions (7th, 40th, 41st) plus Corps HQ's and other land forces. While as of now I have no plans of sending U.S. forces to India by this means, the possibility has not been excluded if the situation in India/Burma becomes favorable enough to justify sending them there for (surprise) offensive operations. Much of the facilities to support U.S. forces in India is already in place. HQ USAFFE (elements) evacuated from the Philippines via Australia is now in India and this HQ is largely rebuilt. The HQ remains inactive and well in the rear for now but could be used to support U.S. offensive ops. Mac Arthur could also very quickly be reunited with this HQ.

British and Indian forces in this theater are now more than sufficient to defend India. Cadres of nearly all the Malaya Army LCU's (particularly INF) were evacuated to India - most of these are already or well in the process of rebuilding to full TOE strength units. India is also becoming an Allied "hornets nest".

I wanted to start 1943 with "weapons" and I'll have them. The VP be damned.

< Message edited by wneumann -- 3/29/2008 8:16:12 PM >

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 586
Summary of Operations 12/20/42 - 3/29/2008 8:00:32 PM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/20/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 148 days.

North Pacific: 23rd Seabees now landing at Kiska. With this landing, all base hexes in the Aleutians are occupied by U.S. forces and in various stages of build up.

HQ North Pacific now being transferred into a vastly expanded U.S. base on Adak. Adak base already built up to port size 7, airfield size 5. Construction is continuing at Adak to maximize port and airfield size. Adak now has or is set to receive necessary stockpiles of fuel and supply points and other facilities to support all types of operations, including carriers and submarines.

Central Pacific: Jap carrier air patrols have started again near Kwajalein in addition to normal Jap air activity. U.S. submarine Perch near Kwajalein was attacked and hit by an E13A1 Jake. SS Perch suffered no additional damage and remains on patrol.

HQ South Pacific has disembarked at Palmyra. VADM Halsey is now commanding this HQ. Movement of South Pacific command forces and forces from SW Pacific "trapped on the West Coast" into the Line Islands is well underway.

Map showing projected U.S. Pacific commands and theaters follows. The map is not current, however, it's a good approximation. Expansion of South Pacific theater southwards (not shown on this map) into Penhryn and the Society Islands is also planned.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by wneumann -- 3/29/2008 8:21:28 PM >

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 587
Summary of Operations 12/20/42 - 3/29/2008 8:09:15 PM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/20/42 part deux

South Pacific: Jap recon over Norfolk Is. Otherwise quiet.

Australia: Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek. No ground or air combat reported.

The first group of U.S. submarines (7 subs) being transferred for operations in the DEI and Indian Ocean areas arrived in Sydney for refuel and brief refit. Additional U.S. subs are enroute.

Hudson I recon over Exmouth reporting A6M2 fighters on CAP, no detected change in Jap forces.
Detected status of Jap base in Darwin - port damage 1, 84 aircraft (24 fighters, 28 bombers), 2 Jap LCU's.
Detected status of Jap base at Port Moresby - 2 ships disbanded in port, 9 Jap LCU's.
Hudson I recon over Thursday Is reports A6M3 fighters on CAP, Jap TF now in Thursday Is base, 3 Jap LCU's (no change).

India/Burma: Jap recon flights over Chiitagong, Imphal, Dimapur.

U.S. and RAF Liberator bombers strike heavy industry in Rangoon. AAR follows.

Day Air attack on Rangoon , at 29,33

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 18
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 19
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 12

Allied aircraft
Liberator III x 47
B-24D Liberator x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 6 damaged
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 12 damaged
Ki-61-Ib Tony: 7 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator III: 32 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 2 destroyed, 32 damaged

Heavy Industry hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 10000 feet
9 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 10000 feet
6 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 10000 feet
4 x Liberator III bombing at 10000 feet
3 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 10000 feet
3 x Liberator III bombing at 10000 feet
2 x Liberator III bombing at 10000 feet
2 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 10000 feet

Jap fighter sweep against Imphal. Small airfield bombing strike by RAF Vengeance dive bombers against Jap base in Mandalay. AAR's for both follow.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 29
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 19

Allied aircraft
Vengeance I x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Vengeance I: 4 destroyed, 2 damaged

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 19
A6M3 Zero x 15

No Japanese losses

Detected status of Jap base in Rangoon - 5 Jap TF's (+1 from last report), 196 aircraft (42 fighters, 62 bombers), heavy industry 99(94), 9 Jap LCU's.

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking and Chengtu. Otherwise quiet.

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 588
Summary of Operations 12/21/42 - 3/31/2008 2:27:52 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/21/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 147 days

Central Pacific: Jap carrier air patrols near Kwajalein have stopped. U.S. sub Perch near Kwajalain still reports contacts with E13A1 Jake scout planes.

Japanese-laid minefield detected at Palmyra, this believed to have been laid by the unidentified sub appearing in Palmyra on 12/19. Minesweeping operations are now underway.

Australia: No ground or air combat to report. Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek.

Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reports 7 Jap LCU's (-2 from last report), 10 disbanded ships in port (+8 from last report), 81 aircraft (21 fighters, 27 bombers). Sigint report for 12/21 includes an entry indicating Jap 87 Naval Guard is located in Port Moresby. 87 Naval Gd is a previously unreported unit in the Japanese ground forces OOB - it probably entered the game as a reinforcement and sent to Port Moresby.

Hudson I recon over Thursday Is reporting A6M3 fighters on CAP, 3 Jap LCU's (no change).
Hudson I recon over Exmouth reports A6M2 fighters on CAP, no detected change in Jap forces.
F-5A recon over Darwin reported A6M2 fighters on CAP, 3 disbanded ships in port (-5 from last report), 2 Jap LCU's (no change).

India/Burma: Jap recon flights over Chittagong, Imphal, Dimapur.

RAF and AVG fighter squadrons launch sweep attacks against Jap airfields at Magwe and Mandalay. Jap bombing attack on airfield facilities at Imphal. AAR's for all three actions follow.

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb x 88
P-40E Warhawk x 21

No Allied losses

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 22
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 7

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb x 60
P-40E Warhawk x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 4 destroyed, 13 damaged
Ki-61-Ib Tony: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed, 16 damaged

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
A6M3 Zero x 18
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 43
Ki-21-II Sally x 23
Ki-49 Helen x 52
Ki-48-II Lily x 38

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-II Sally: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 10 damaged
Ki-48-II Lily: 1 destroyed, 14 damaged

Allied ground losses:
39 casualties reported

Airbase hits 7
Runway hits 59

(Imphal base damage levels: airfield service damage 9, runway damage 22)

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
6 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
14 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 11000 feet
9 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
13 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
5 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
11 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
6 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
3 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 11000 feet
7 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
4 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
3 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
3 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
2 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 11000 feet

F-5A recon over Rangoon reports 6 Jap TF's (+1 from last report, one TF has 2 BB's), 211 aircraft (71 fighters, 41 bombers), heavy industry 99(94), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

Japanese-laid minefield detected in Colombo. Minesweeping operations are underway.

British submarine Rover attacked by Jap ASW TF near Malacca Straits. Rover received moderate system damage & heavy flooding. Rover is returning to base. AAR follows.

ASW attack at 22,43

Japanese Ships
PC Takunan Maru #7
PC Shonon Maru #10
PG Kyo Maru #8
PC Hachijo

Allied Ships
SS Rover, hits 4, on fire

China: Jap recon flights over Pakhoi, Chungking, Tuyun.

A squadron of Chinese P-66 Vanguard fighters on ground attack detected and hit Jap 41st Division at Hankow. 41 Division is another of the Jap LCU's Pillager withdrew from front line positions late 11/42. Previous known location of 41 Division was at Kweilin on 11/21/42.

Chinese P-43A Lancers again hit Jap 40th Division in Canton.

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 589
Summary of Operations 12/22/42 - 3/31/2008 2:57:34 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/22/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 146 days. We've been playing turns a bit faster than I'm reporting them in here - now catching up.

Central Pacific: U.S. submarine Perch near Kwajalain reports contacts with E13A1 Jake scout planes and a Ki-49 Helen, no carrier aircraft were seen.

Sigint report for 12/22 included an entry indicating Jap 1 Mixed Brigade is now located on Kwajalein. 1 Mixed Brigade was transferred into the Central Pacific area from HQ Kwantung Army. Previous known location for 1 Mixed Brigade was Port Arthur on 11/10/42.

Australia: Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek. No ground or air combat to report.

F-5A recon over Darwin reported A6M3 fighters on CAP, 86 aircraft (27 fighters, 18 bombers), 2 Jap LCU's (no change), 2 disbanded ships in port (-1 from last report).

Hudson I recon over Exmouth reporting 85 aircraft (10 fighters, 14 bombers), 5 Jap LCU's (no change).
Hudson I recon over Thursday Is reports A6M2 fighters on CAP, unidentified Jap TF now at Thursday Is, 3 Jap LCU's (no change).

Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reporting unidentified Jap TF now at Port Moresby, 12 disbanded ships in port (+2 from last report), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

India/Burma: Jap recon flights over Chittagong, Imphal, Dimapur. Minesweeping ops continue at Colombo.

Allied bombers attack Jap airfield at Magwe. Japanese fighter sweep and airfield bombing attack against Imphal. AAR's for all three actions follow.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 42
B-25C Mitchell x 31

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 10 damaged
B-25C Mitchell: 10 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
97 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 20

Detected status of Jap base in Magwe - airfield damage 2, 124 aircraft (38 fighters, 35 bombers).

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
4 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
4 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
10 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
6 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
6 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
3 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
4 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
7 x Blenheim IV bombing at 10000 feet
4 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet
2 x B-25C Mitchell bombing at 10000 feet

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 25
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 10

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged
Ki-61-Ib Tony: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb: 2 destroyed, 7 damaged

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
A6M3 Zero x 23
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 45
Ki-21-II Sally x 26
Ki-49 Helen x 45
Ki-48-II Lily x 45

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
A6M3 Zero: 2 damaged
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 1 damaged
Ki-21-II Sally: 1 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 21 damaged
Ki-48-II Lily: 16 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb: 8 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 54

(Imphal base damage levels: airfield service damage 22, runway damage 37)

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
8 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
14 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 11000 feet
9 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
4 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
7 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
8 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
4 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 11000 feet
2 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
2 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 11000 feet
2 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet

F-5A recon over Rangoon reporting 6 Jap TF's (no change), heavy industry 99(94), 173 aircraft (63 fighters, 23 bombers), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking, Liuchow. Chinese planes again attack Jap 40th Division.

Sigint report for 12/22 includes entry indicating Jap 26th Division located in Anking. This is the second time Sigint has reported 26 Division in Anking (the first Sigint report was on 12/18).

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 590
Breaking News........ - 3/31/2008 3:01:36 AM   
wneumann

Pillager and I have discussed continuing this PBEM beyond a Jap auto-victory if one does occur. He's indicated he wants to and made the proposal to continue. I have already responded in agreement.  

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 591
RE: Breaking News........ - 3/31/2008 3:18:12 AM   
dennishe

I would never want to stop a game because of an autovictory. As an Allied player I would definitively want to drop the bomb or try to invade the home islands. As the Japanese player I would try to hold on to the very last. I think the endgame is the most interesting part of the whole game. It's a shame to stop earlier. Further there is always the direct route to Japan (Wake-Marcus-Saipan-IwoJima), which enables the Allied player to "win the war" after he already lost with an autovictory.

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 592
Summary of Operations 12/23/42 - 4/1/2008 7:03:54 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/23/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 145 days.

Central Pacific: U.S. submarine Perch near Kwajalain reporting contacts with E13A1 Jake scout planes and a G4M Betty. Again, no carrier aircraft were seen.

Unidentified Jap submarines spotted at Fanning and Christmas Is. U.S. ASW air patrols and task forces being activated to engage them.

Jap recon over Penhryn Is.

U.S. 32nd Division now disembarked in the Line Islands. All U.S. divisions except for 43rd Division (building up to full TOE strength) and the West Coast divsions (7th, 40th, 41st) being held in strategic reserve are now moved forward.

The three West Coast divisions (7, 40, 41) remain on the U.S. mainland as a "wild card" as I can retain the option of either deploying them into the Pacific theater (the most likely scenario) or a possible transfer to Southeast Asia to reinforce an Allied attack out of India. A transfer of these divisions to India would be done with the intent of an amphibious operation to "leapfrog" part or all of the Japanese positions in Burma if an attack of this nature becomes feasible and these U.S. divisions can be spared from the Pacific theater. Many of the resources to pull off an attack with these units in Southeast Asia are already in place or can be there very quickly if a move like this becomes feasible. I'm keeping my options very open.

South Pacific: Jap recon over Norfolk Is. Otherwise quiet.

Australia: Jap recon over Tennant Creek. No ground or air combat operations.

F-5A recon over Darwin reporting 3 disbanded ships in port (+1 from last report), 76 aircraft (15 fighters, 24 bombers), 2 Jap LCU's (no change).

Hudson I recon over Exmouth reports A6M2 fighters on CAP, 93 aircraft (10 fighters, 23 bombers), 5 Jap LCU's (no change).
Hudson I recon over Thursday Is reported no Jap TF's (-1 from last report), A6M3 fighters on CAP, 3 Jap LCU's (no change).
Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reports 8 ships disbanded in port (-4 from last report), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

India/Burma: Jap recon flights over Imphal, Chittagon, Dimapur. A small night bombing attack by RAF Blenheims against Jap airfield in Magwe inflicted light damage.

Detected status of Jap base in Rangoon - one Jap TF, 9 Jap LCU's, heavy industry 100(93), 148 aircraft (54 fighters, 27 bombers).

Sigint report for 12/23 includes entry indicating Jap 136 IJA Base Force is in Meiktila. 136 IJA Base Force is a previously unreported unit in the Japanese ground forces OOB - probably entered the game as a reinforcement.

China: Jap recon flights over Pakhoi, Chungking, Liuchow, Kunming.

Chinese P-66 Vanguard fighters hit Japanese 110th Division in Changsha (ground attack). Previous known location for 110 Division was Kweilin on 11/25/42. Yet another of the LCU's Pillager pulled out of the front line. 110 Division was not moved as far back from the front lines as other units from Pillager's withdrawal that have been detected.

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 593
Summary of Operations 12/24/42 - 4/2/2008 6:47:23 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/24/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 144 days.

Central Pacific: U.S. subs around Kwajalein reporting contacts with E13A1 Jake scout plane patrols, no carrier aircraft.

U.S. submarine Spearfish at Canton Is attacked Jap AG in a surface action, also detected a second Jap TF (two AP's). Spearfish also reports contact with G4M Betty on patrol.

Sigint report for 12/24 includes entry indicating Yokosuka 3 SNLF now located on Kwajalein. This unit was transferred to Kwajalein from the Philippines, previous known location was Manila on 5/21/42.

Unidentified Jap submarine detected near Palmyra by PBY Catalina on naval search. Jap recon flight over Penhryn.

South Pacific: Jap recon flight over Norfolk Is, otherwise quiet.

Australia: Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek.

U.S. A-20 bombers strike Japanese airfield facilities in Daly Waters. AAR follows. Heavy losses in air-to-air combat suffered by U.S. 3rd Fighter Squadron, one of three U.S. fighter squadrons escorting this mission.

Day Air attack on Daly Waters , at 35,90

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 15
A6M3 Zero x 11
A6M3a Zero x 12

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 48
A-20B Boston x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 damaged
A6M3 Zero: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged
A6M3a Zero: 2 destroyed, 6 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 17 destroyed, 14 damaged
A-20B Boston: 2 destroyed, 10 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
9 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x A-20B Boston bombing at 10000 feet
6 x A-20B Boston bombing at 10000 feet
5 x A-20B Boston bombing at 10000 feet
1 x A-20B Boston bombing at 10000 feet

F-5A recon over Darwin reporting A6M2 fighters on CAP, unidentified Jap TF now in Darwin, 2 disbanded ships in port (-1 from last report), 83 aircraft (16 fighters, 27 bombers), 2 Jap LCU's (no change).

Hudson I recon over Exmouth reports A6M2 fighters on CAP, 95 aircraft (16 fighters, 30 bombers), 5 Jap LCU'S (no change). G4M Betty air patrol spotted by British TK Empire Bronze approaching Perth - G4M's based in Exmouth.

Hudson I recon over Thursday Is reported A6M3 fighters on CAP, no detected change in Jap forces.
Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reports unidentified Jap TF now in Port Moresby, otherwise no detected change in Jap forces.

India/Burma: Jap recon flights over Chittagong, Imphal, Dimapur.

Small night bombing raid by RAF Blenheims against Jap airfield at Magwe. Bombing raid by Jap G5M Liz bombers against Allied base in Myitkyina. No report of losses or damage in either attack.

F-5A recon over Rangoon reports 5 Jap TF's (no change, one TF has two BB's), 182 aircraft (69 fighters, 27 bombers), heavy industry 101(92), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking and Tuyun.

Two detected Jap LCU's appear to be possibly moving towards Shanghai. Sigint report for 12/24 includes entry indicating 15 Mixed Brigade now located in Kiukiang - previous known location of 15 Brigade was Hengchow on 10/25/42. Chinese P-66 Vanguard fighters detected and attacked the Jap 13th Division in Sinyang, last known location of 13 Division was Hankow on 12/12/42.

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 594
Summary of Operations 12/25/42 - 4/3/2008 12:45:50 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/25/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 143 days.

North Pacific: Jap E14Y1 scout plane spotted over Adak Is. Jap submarine likely in the vicinity.

Central Pacific: U.S. subs around Kwajalein reporting very heavy volume of contacts with Japanese air patrols - including E13A1 Jake & F1M2 Pete scout planes, carrier aircraft (Vals & Kates), also Ki-49 Helen and G4M Betty bombers.

U.S. sub S-35 attacked and hit by a G4M Betty near Kwajalein. S-35 received heavy damage and returning to base.

Unidentified Jap submarine detected near Palmyra moving NW.

Sigint report for 12/25 included an entry indicating Jap 2nd Mongolian Cavalry Division now located at Saipan. This unit transferred to Saipan from the Kwantung Army. Possible that Pillager is transferring some of his front-line LCU's out of China and/or Manchuria to reinforce garrisons on island bases in the Pacific?

Australia: Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek. U.S. B-17 bombers launched a second attack against Japanese port facilities in Darwin. AAR follows.

Day Air attack on Darwin , at 36,84

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 16

Allied aircraft
F-5A Lightning x 3
B-17D Fortress x 21
B-17E Fortress x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 5 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 18 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Nichiran Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AP Kofuku Maru, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
42 casualties reported

Port hits 2
Port supply hits 8

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x B-17E Fortress bombing at 10000 feet
9 x B-17D Fortress bombing at 10000 feet

F-5A recon over Darwin reporting A6M2 fighters on CAP, no Jap TF's (-1 from last report), 2 ships disbanded in port (no change), port damage 12, 45 aircraft (20 fighters), 2 Jap LCU's (no change).

British TK Empire Bronze arrived at Perth from Aden with cargo of 12K fuel to augment base stockpiles in Perth.

Hudson I recon over Exmouth reports A6M2 fighters on CAP, 90 aircraft (12 fighters, 27 bombers), 5 Jap LCU's (no change).
Hudson I recon over Thursday Is reporting A6M3 fighters on CAP, no detected change in Jap forces.

Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reported no Jap TF (-1 from last report), 2 disbanded ships in port (-6 from last report), 6 Jap LCU's (-3 from last report). Looks like Pillager maybe pulled something out of there?

India/Burma: Minesweeping ops completed in Colombo. PC Jumma hit mine and heavily damaged.

RAF Blenheims again launch small night air raid against Jap airfield in Magwe - no damage or losses reported.

RAF and U.S. Liberator bombers strike heavy industry in Rangoon. AAR follows.

Day Air attack on Rangoon , at 29,33

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 19
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 6
Ki-45 KAIb Nick x 6
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 11

Allied aircraft
Liberator III x 44
B-24D Liberator x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-IIa Oscar: 5 damaged
Ki-45 KAIa Nick: 2 damaged
Ki-45 KAIb Nick: 2 damaged
Ki-61-Ib Tony: 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator III: 24 damaged
B-24D Liberator: 1 destroyed, 34 damaged

Heavy Industry hits 8

Aircraft Attacking:

F-5A recon over Rangoon reporting 5 Jap TF's (no change), heavy industry 95(98), 190 aircraft (74 fighters, 21 bombers), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking, Pakhoi, Liuchow, Chengtu. Otherwise quiet.

< Message edited by wneumann -- 4/3/2008 12:48:41 AM >

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 595
Summary of Operations 12/26/42 - 4/5/2008 6:32:49 PM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/26/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 142 days.

Central Pacific: Continued heavy volume of contacts with Japanese air patrols reported by U.S. subs around Kwajalein. Jap aircraft including carrier aircraft (Vals and Kates), also E13A1 Jake, E14Y1 Glen & F1M2 Pete scout planes. KB probably still in Kwajalein.

Small numbers of G4M1 Betty bombers flying patrol from both Kwajalein and Canton Is. A B5N2 Kate (land based?) flying patrol detected at Pago Pago.

U.S. sub Sealion hit and heavily damaged by D3A2 Val at Kwajalein. Sealion is returning to base.

Jap recon over Penhryn. LCU's, supply, fuel, and other cargos continue arriving at forward locations throughout the Central Pacific theater.

South Pacific: All sectors reporting quiet.

Australia: No air or ground combat reported. Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek.

F-5A recon over Darwin reporting Jap TF still in Darwin, 2 ships disbanded in port, port damage 2, 38 aircraft (14 fighters), A6M2 fighters on CAP, 2 Jap LCU's (no change).

Hudson I recon flights over Exmouth and Thursday Is report no detected change in Jap forces. A6M2 fighters on CAP over Exmouth.

Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reported 4 Jap TF's now in Port Moresby (+3 from last report), 2 disbanded ships in port, 5 Jap LCU's (-1 from last report).

India/Burma: Jap recon flights again over Chittagong, Imphal, Dimapur.

Small night bombing raids by RAF Blenheims against Rangoon and Magwe. No significant damage or losses reported from either raid.

Jap air bombing raids continue over Myitkyina. AAR's follow.

Day Air attack on Myitkyina , at 36,28

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 27

No Japanese losses

Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 15

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
3 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 21

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x G3M Nell bombing at 29950 feet
8 x G3M Nell bombing at 29950 feet

F-5A recon over Darwin reporting 6 Jap TF's (+1 from last report, one TF detected with 4 BB?), heavy industry 96(97), 186 aircraft (68 fighters, 23 bombers), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking, Pakhoi, Tuyun, Chengtu.

Sigint report for 12/26 includes entry indicating Jap 8 Engineer Rgt now located in Wuchow. Previous known location of 8 Engineers was Kweilin on 11/30/42.

Numerous Sigint reports and AAR's from Chinese bombing attacks on Jap LCU's in China over the recent days indicate that Pillager has removed most of the major Japanese ground combat units out of the front lines in central China, many of these units moving in the general direction of either Canton or Shanghai. What cannot be accurately concluded from these reports is why Jap LCU's were withdrawn and where (if anywhere) these LCU's are going. Pillager could have easily kept pushing back Chinese forces and continued the gradual Japanese ground advance towards Chungking - that is... unless Jap forces were experiencing difficulties unrelated to Chinese resistance. Or Pillager is re-arranging his strategic prorities going into 1943 and drawing forces from China to implement them?

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 596
Summary of Operations 12/27/42 - 4/5/2008 7:09:10 PM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/27/42 - catching up on back game turns...

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 141 days.

North Pacific: Night naval surface action at Attu Is between Japanese naval bombardment force and a TF of U.S. PT boats guarding the base in Attu. AAR's follow. Naval bombardment attack inflicted light casualties and disruption to U.S. LCU's ashore on Attu.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Attu Island at 91,35

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano
CA Furutaka
CL Oi
CL Yubari
DD Ikazuchi
DD Ushio
DD Kisaragi
DD Hatakaze

Allied Ships
PT PT-82
PT PT-83
PT PT-84
PT PT-115
PT PT-116, Shell hits 15, and is sunk
PT PT-117, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
PT PT-118, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
PT PT-121, Shell hits 17, and is sunk
PT PT-122
PT PT-123

Naval bombardment of Attu Island, at 91,35

Japanese Ships
CL Yubari
CL Oi
CA Furutaka
CA Kumano

Allied ground losses:
87 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 4
Port hits 2

Build up of Adak into a major U.S. base is well underway. Aircraft, LCU's, supply, and fuel continues to arrive.

Central Pacific: Heavy Japanese air patrols continue around Kwajalein, including carrier aircraft (Vals and Kates) and E13A1 Jake, E14Y1 Glen & F1M2 Pete scout planes.

U.S. sub Sealion hit again and reported sunk after two more attacks by D3A2 Vals while leaving Kwajalein.

This AAR showing arrival or departure of a lone Jap AK with very heavy escort at Kwajalein.

ASW attack at 79,81 (NW of Kwajalein)

Japanese Ships
AK Melbourne Maru
PC Gamitsu Maru #1
PG Zuiko Maru
PG Yoshida Maru
PG Kyo Maru #10
PG Chosa Maru
PG Choko Maru #2
MSW Keinan Maru
MSW Fumi Maru #2
MSW Banshu Maru #8
MSW Atsu Maru
MSW Asahi Maru #2
MSW Aoi Maru
MSW Wa 7
MSW Wa 5
MSW Wa 4
MSW Wa 3

Allied Ships
SS Searaven

Jap recon flight over Penhryn Is.

South Pacific: Jap recon flight over Norfolk Is, otherwise quiet. Norfolk Island is currently unoccupied by Allied forces.

Australia: Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek.

Bombing attack carried out by a lone Japanese aircraft against beach hex at Portland Roads (in NE Australia located north of Coen). AAR follows. Portland Roads is unoccupied by Australian forces - nearest Allied garrison is at the base in Coen.

Day Air attack on Portland Roads , at 49,94

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-I Lily x 1

No Japanese losses

Catalina I recon over Port Moresby reporting no Jap TF's remain in Port Moresby (-4 from last report), no other detected change in Jap forces. Departure of Jap TF's from Port Moresby may be significant. Sea areas between Port Moresby and NE Australia have been continuously patrolled by Allied aircraft on naval search - no reported sightings of Jap TF's leaving Port Moresby. This situation will be watched closely over the next several game turns.

Hudson I recon over Thursday Is reports no Jap activity or detected change in Jap forces.

F-5A recon over Darwin reported A6M2 fighters on CAP, 2 Jap TF's now in Darwin (+2 from last report), 4 disbanded ships in port (+2 from last report), 56 aircraft (24 fighters), 2 Jap LCU's (no change).

Hudson I recon over Exmouth reporting A6M2 fighters on CAP, no detected activity or change in Jap forces.

India/Burma: A mad scramble by Jap air forces in Burma - lots of small bombing attacks against widely scattered Allied bases. AAR's follow. Pillager has developed a slight interest in Myitkyina over the last several turns. Myitkyina occupied by all but one of the Chinese Southeast Asia divisions (the other division is in Imphal).

Day Air attack on Akyab , at 30,28 (still under Allied control but unoccupied - "no mans land")

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 11
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 3
Ki-49 Helen x 20

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
6 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 27

No Japanese losses

Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 12

Aircraft Attacking:
24 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
3 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet

Day Air attack on Cox's Bazar , at 31,26 (forward outpost line of Allied forces along Burma coast)

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 8
Ki-49 Helen x 23

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet
12 x Ki-49 Helen bombing at 11000 feet

Japanese aircraft
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 12
Ki-48-II Lily x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-II Lily: 1 destroyed, 15 damaged

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 3

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet

Day Air attack on Kohima , at 35,26

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 17
Ki-21-II Sally x 14

No Japanese losses

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Ki-21-II Sally bombing at 11000 feet

Day Air attack on Chittagong , at 31,25

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 42

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIb Tojo: 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb: 3 destroyed, 9 damaged

Day Air attack on Dimapur , at 35,25

Japanese aircraft
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 2
Ki-48-II Lily x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-II Lily: 7 damaged

Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
4 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet

RAF Blenheim and U.S. B-25 bombers hit Magwe and Rangoon in night bombing attacks. No significant losses or damage reported.

F-5A recon over Rangoon reporting 6 Jap TF's (no change), heavy industry 97(96), 213 aircraft (85 fighters, 22 bombers), 9 Jap LCU's (no change).

Unidentified Jap submarines detected at Madras and near Trincomalee.

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking and Tuyun.

Sigint report for 12/27 includes entry indicating Jap 60th Division now in Shanghai. Previous known location of 60 Division was Hengchow on 10/25/42.

< Message edited by wneumann -- 4/5/2008 7:14:05 PM >

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 597
Summary of Operations 12/28/42 - 4/6/2008 12:42:28 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/28/42 - catching up another back game turn...

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 140 days.

North Pacific: Unidentified Jap submarine spotted by PBY Catalina patrol east of Attu Is.

Central Pacific: Heavy Japanese air patrols continue around Kwajalein, including carrier aircraft (Vals and Kates), E13A1 Jake scout planes, and a stray KI-49 Helen. The "stray" Helen attacked and hit U.S. sub Seadragon east of Kwajalein, the Seadragon received moderate system and flooding damage and is returning to base.

U.S. sub Spearfish detected unidentified Japanese TF (8 ships) at Canton Is.

Jap recon flight over Penhryn Is. A U.S. transport TF carrying 27th Seabees and 7600 supply arrived at Penhryn and now unloading - the Jap recon flight (H8K Emily) didn't appear to spot this TF. Other transport TF's with additional Seabee units and more supply are enroute to Penhryn.

Australia: Jap recon flight over Tennant Creek. No ground or air combat occurred.

F-5A recon over Darwin reporting 1 Jap TF (-1 from last report), 2 disbanded ships in port (-2 from last report), 49 aircraft (31 fighters), 2 Jap LCU's (no change).

No Allied recon flights flown over Exmouth, Port Moresby, or Thursday Is.
Detected status of Jap base in Port Moresby - 2 disbanded ships in port, no Jap TF's, 5 Jap LCU's.

Unidentified Japanese TF(s) detected in hex 51,94 (east of Portland Roads in NE Australia). This sighting is probably one or more of the Jap TF's departing Port Moresby on 12/27, and could be an landing force heading for the beach hex at Portland Roads. Several nearby Allied air squadrons with Hudson I's will attempt a naval attack on the sighted Jap TF(s). No Allied naval forces are in the NE Australia area, the closest being U.S. submarine S-27 enroute to a patrol mission at Port Moresby. No Allied ground forces are defending the Portland Roads beach hex. The nearest Allied base to Portland Roads (at Coen) is occupied by 1 Australian Motor Brigade - LCU reinforcements are moving overland northwards towards Coen.

Current situation map of NE Australia follows.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by wneumann -- 4/6/2008 12:55:40 AM >

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 598
Summary of Operations 12/28/42 - 4/6/2008 12:53:19 AM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/28/42 part two

India/Burma: Jap recon flights over Imphal, Dimapur, Chittagong. Night bombing attacks against Magwe and Rangoon by RAF and U.S. bombers continue - no significant losses or damage reported.

An unidentified Japanese sub off Ceylon spotted by an RAF Sunderland on naval search - sub reported moving on a SE heading.

Detected status of Jap base in Rangoon - 3 Jap TF's, 258 aircraft (79 fighters, 51 bombers), heavy industry 98(95), 9 Jap LCU's.

Small Jap bombing raids continue against a variety of Allied targets in Burma and India. AAR's follow.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 27

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 20

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIb Tojo x 7
Ki-61-Ib Tony x 17
Ki-48-II Lily x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-II Lily: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged

Airbase hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:

Day Air attack on Dimapur , at 35,25

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-II Lily x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-II Lily: 8 damaged

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet
1 x Ki-48-II Lily bombing at 11000 feet

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 10

No Japanese losses

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x G3M Nell bombing at 29950 feet
4 x G3M Nell bombing at 29950 feet

China: Jap recon flights over Chungking, Chengtu, Liuchow. Otherwise quiet.

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 599
Summary of Operations 12/29/42 - 4/6/2008 11:38:00 PM   
wneumann

Summary of Operations 12/29/42

Countdown to CV Essex arrival: 139 days.

North Pacific: Unidentified Jap submarine remains east of Attu Is. Japanese sub is operating an E14Y1 Glen scout plane.

Central Pacific: U.S. subs reporting Japanese air patrols near Kwajalein considerably decreased. No contacts with carrier aircraft, nearly all contacts with E13A1 Jake or F1M2 Pete scout planes. Map below shows detected Japanese ships disbanded in port at Kwajalein base - this almost has to include most or all the KB and a sizeable part of the Jap surface fleet.

Land-based SBD-3 Dauntless spotted Jap submarine identified as the I-6 at Palmyra. Minesweeper and ASW TF's being formed in Palmyra to deal with both the I-6 itself and its minefield.

U.S. 27th Seabees and supply continue to disembark at Penhryn Is. A Jap recon flight (H8K Emily) over Penhryn detected the 27th Seabees ashore and possibly the transport TF landing them as well.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wneumann)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Summary of Operations 12/14/42 Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI