Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Map Review - America

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWiF Map Review - America Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 1:10:38 AM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
The latest also supports at least a minor port in Port Elizabeth (118k in 1940).

I agree we can at least add a minor port in Port Elizabeth. Maybe even a city. Is it also possible to add a minor port in the South African port hex close to the Namibian border? I saw you called the hex Port **** . The **** is not easy to read from the map you showed us.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 451
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 1:18:41 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Borger Borgersen

quote:

The latest also supports at least a minor port in Port Elizabeth (118k in 1940).

I agree we can at least add a minor port in Port Elizabeth. Maybe even a city. Is it also possible to add a minor port in the South African port hex close to the Namibian border? I saw you called the hex Port **** . The **** is not easy to read from the map you showed us.

This one is really too small to be something else than a name (Port Nolloth) on the map, a terminus of the railway. I think I read that this railway was built for mining business, but seeing the population density of the area in the 70s, I beleive there was never not much urbanization there.

(in reply to Peter Stauffenberg)
Post #: 452
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 1:21:21 AM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

I'm growing in agreement with you, do you know ? You've made strong points, and Johannesburg is really big, compared to all other cities of the 40s. The list I set up shows this blattantly, it is in the top 3 of the large cities not present on the map.

I know. I heard from friends and colleagues my tendency to dig up lots of strong points in discussions can be quite annoying for some people. But I sometimes have to learn when a "battle" is lost and just accept I can't convince everyone.

It's important to remember not to propose changes just for the reason of making changes, but because the changes make sense and could actually improve the game. And the hardest thing of all is to tell oneself good enough is good enough and move on to something else instead of being a perfectionist. Sometimes people need to tell me to just accept the good solution we had already made instead of trying to improve even further. So don't hesitate to tell me if you think I'm just spending lots of effort trying to improve the map 0.00001%.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 453
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 1:29:28 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I know. I heard from friends and colleagues my tendency to dig up lots of strong points in discussions can be quite annoying for some people. But I sometimes have to learn when a "battle" is lost and just accept I can't convince everyone.

You know, people should not view discussions as "battles", and think about winning or loosing them, this leads to too many wrong discussions that lead to nowhere but dead ends. Discussions are ways to learn things, and everyone wins in discussions . I find it as pleasing being convincted by the other's sound points, than convincting people with my own good points.

Post #: 454
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 2:52:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

You know, people should not view discussions as "battles", and think about winning or loosing them, this leads to too many wrong discussions that lead to nowhere but dead ends. Discussions are ways to learn things, and everyone wins in discussions . I find it as pleasing being convincted by the other's sound points, than convincting people with my own good points.

I agree and might add: most education is painful (there are some pleasant exceptions). But at the end of the experience though, enlightenment is greatly rewarding. Sadly it is usually only a brief period of light followed closely by a rapid descent into darkness again.

And as for buffing and polishing the map, I fully believe the accumulation of these many small improvements will be its greatest strength.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 455
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 8:10:06 PM   
Froonp

Here is what South Africa looks like with Johannesburg (554k inhabitants) and Port Elizabeth (118k).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 456
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 8:17:58 PM   
Froonp

And here is what California looks like with Long Beach.
I removed the Signal hill name, as it was cluttering the map too much.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 457
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 8:59:16 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

Here is what South Africa looks like with Johannesburg (554k inhabitants) and Port Elizabeth (118k).

Looks great to me.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 458
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 9:00:19 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

And here is what California looks like with Long Beach.
I removed the Signal hill name, as it was cluttering the map too much.

Also looks great to me.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 459
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 9:32:50 PM   
ajds

The little bump is Palos Verdes, and Long Beach is of course to the east of it, so putting Long Beach in the hex to the east of the bump makes sense to me. I doubt anyone could call Long Beach moutainous, but things do get hilly in Orange County and down towards San Diego, so the hex as mountainous is reasonable. Adding the Long Beach city makes sense from a variety of directions, not least because the greater Los Angeles area had more than one population center. Thumbs up from me - as usual, excellent work.

Port Hueneme (or whatever the spelling is) could be a minor port in one of the mountain coastal hexes to the west of Los Angeles, but the coast north of Palos Verdes is all beach or rocks through Malibu and beyond, so no port along there (I am referring to the coast in the Los Angeles clear hex).

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 460
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 10:36:43 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: ajds

The little bump is Palos Verdes, and Long Beach is of course to the east of it, so putting Long Beach in the hex to the east of the bump makes sense to me. I doubt anyone could call Long Beach moutainous, but things do get hilly in Orange County and down towards San Diego, so the hex as mountainous is reasonable. Adding the Long Beach city makes sense from a variety of directions, not least because the greater Los Angeles area had more than one population center. Thumbs up from me - as usual, excellent work.

Port Hueneme (or whatever the spelling is) could be a minor port in one of the mountain coastal hexes to the west of Los Angeles, but the coast north of Palos Verdes is all beach or rocks through Malibu and beyond, so no port along there (I am referring to the coast in the Los Angeles clear hex).

Thanks, I was in doubt with the port facilities of Los Angeles proper. I removed the minor port.
I'm in doubt with the factory being placed in Long Beach. Is this realistic ?
Also, what about this strait hexside ? Shouldn't it be between Long Beach and the islands, rather than between LA and the islands ?

(in reply to ajds)
Post #: 461
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 10:59:36 PM   
Froonp

About the resource that is northeast of Los Angeles.
Originaly, the resource in California was in the mountains south of San Jose / San Francisco. This is where it is on the WiF FE maps.

ajds in his post #267 in January prudently said that :
quote:

I say this because the Kaiser steel mills were historically in the San Bernardino area east of Los Angeles, served by the Eagle Mountain iron mine even further east. I am not suggesting there isn't significant resources in the coastal mountains where the current resource marker is, I just am not aware of them, but the Kaiser mills and related mine were substantial in the WWII timeframe. In addition there was and is quite a bit of strategic mineral mining in the desert hexes to the northeast of Los Angeles (notably potash and cement), supporting the resource on that side of Los Angeles

But I would like a doubt to be removed from my mind. I looked for the Kaiser mills and Eagle Mountain in Wikipedia, and found out that Eagle Mountain was founded after the war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Mountain%2C_California).

I may be wrong, and may have found the wrong source, but can you Californians (or other people familiar with California) confirm that mining in Califonia was mainly east of LA, and not south of San Francisco ?

< Message edited by Froonp -- 4/13/2007 11:00:53 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 462
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/13/2007 11:29:47 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

quote:

Thanks, I was in doubt with the port facilities of Los Angeles proper. I removed the minor port.
I'm in doubt with the factory being placed in Long Beach. Is this realistic ?
Also, what about this strait hexside ? Shouldn't it be between Long Beach and the islands, rather than between LA and the islands ?

Look here for information about Long Beach: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Beach,_California

This link confirms that Long Beach is one of the world's largest shipping ports. It also confirms Long Beach had a big oil industry and even some other industry like aircraft, automobile parts, electronics etc. So I definitely think we can keep the factory in Long Beach.

Look at this link for a photo of Long Beach factory workers producing aircraft parts? in 1945:
http://www.webshots.com/g/45/65-sh/5497.html

Link with info about an aircraft factory in Long Beach that opened in 1941. It was originally a Douglas plant, but is now a Boeing plant. This factory produced among other aircraft the famous B-17 bomber.
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/facilities/longbeachsite.html

< Message edited by Borger Borgersen -- 4/13/2007 11:39:40 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 463
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/14/2007 12:02:47 AM   
ajds

I was basing my suggestion on 1942, thinking production at the Fontana (Kaiser) steel mills started then (in response to the Japanese DoW). But that may have been the date of start of construction, with steel production as late as 1948. It isn't clear from quick Internet review. A lot of iron ore came out of the Eagle Mountain mine and went to Fontana, but perhaps not in the right timeframe - I certainly don't know how the resource markers were assigned in WiF.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 464
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/16/2007 3:27:57 PM   
iamspamus

Yeah, I'd agree. I thought that Port Elizabeth was larger even than East London. Isn't that right?

Jason

quote:

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 465
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/16/2007 3:31:52 PM   
iamspamus

Commenting late, but this is good. Good change with Jo'burg and PE.

Jason

quote:

quote:

Looks great to me.

Post #: 466
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/16/2007 5:28:05 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: iamspamus

Yeah, I'd agree. I thought that Port Elizabeth was larger even than East London. Isn't that right?

Jason

Cities & Ports of South Africa, in 1940 & 1944 (Source : Collier 1940 & 1944 atlases) :

- Bloemfontein : 51k.
- Cape Town : 352k.
- Durban : 270k.
- East London : 47k.
- Johannesburg : 554k.
- Port Elizabeth : 118k.
- Pretoria : 138k.

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 467
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 4/16/2007 9:16:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: iamspamus

Jason

Cities & Ports of South Africa, in 1940 & 1944 (Source : Collier 1940 & 1944 atlases) :

- Bloemfontein : 51k.
- Cape Town : 352k.
- Durban : 270k.
- East London : 47k.
- Johannesburg : 554k.
- Port Elizabeth : 118k.
- Pretoria : 138k.

But including ports is not driven exclusively by population. Whether to include cities is strongly influenced by population, but not ports.

This is because in WIF ports represent two aspects of the war:
1 - military (construction, outfitting, repair, refurbishment, and stationing of fighting ships)
2 - merchant marine (the transportation of resources, food, people, and war materiel).

For instance, in Philadelphia there are two quite separate and distinct locations for these two activities. The non-military ports often have large populations, but that is not necessarily so for some of the important military ports/bases.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 468
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 8/18/2007 10:18:51 AM   
Froonp

The graphic artist finaly re-drew the Willamette / Columbia rivers near Portland, here is what it looks like now.
Comments ?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 469
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 8/18/2007 10:28:57 AM   
Froonp

We also re-did the mouth of the Cauca River area in Colombia.
Comments ?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 470
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 8/18/2007 12:41:49 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

We also re-did the mouth of the Cauca River area in Colombia.
Comments ?

You should not be able to sail CV's into Maracaibo Lake. The seadot cannot be easily rationalized. There is no major port even.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 471
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 8/18/2007 12:55:59 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99
You should not be able to sail CV's into Maracaibo Lake. The seadot cannot be easily rationalized. There is no major port even.

Well, I agree this is arguable, but WiF FE is made that way initialy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 472
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 8/18/2007 1:11:02 PM   
Froonp

Here's how it looks from space, from 200 km altitude.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 473
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 8/18/2007 1:13:12 PM   
Froonp

As a comparison, here is how Gibraltar looks from the same altitude.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Froonp -- 8/18/2007 1:16:08 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 474
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 8/18/2007 1:22:04 PM   
Froonp

quote:

The pictures from space that I posted show that you are right, but changing it would require :
- Making Maracaibo Lake a Lake in WiF FE terms, that is that the link between it and the sea would be what ? River ? Canal like the Zuider Zee ? Nothing fits here neither. Neither River nor Canal, that is the Lake touches the sea ? This would be the only place where this would show.
- Having Steve code a rule similar to the Gibraltar Rule, that would say that you can access the shores of Maracaibo Lake (104,316, 104,317, 105,315, 105,317, 106,316, 106,317) only if Maracaibo is not in enemy hands.

Moreover, as the bit of the WiF FE map I posted is showing, the 2 OIL resources can be shipped to sea directly from their hexes without going through Maracaibo, so having Maracaibo Lake as a Lake in WiF FE terms would change that.

All this said, frankly this is a tiny issue, how often will MWiF's CVs enter MWiF's Maracaibo Lake I wonder, but I think that they never will.

We'd better let it be how it is.

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 475
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 8/18/2007 8:49:11 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

The pictures from space that I posted show that you are right, but changing it would require :
- Making Maracaibo Lake a Lake in WiF FE terms, that is that the link between it and the sea would be what ? River ? Canal like the Zuider Zee ? Nothing fits here neither. Neither River nor Canal, that is the Lake touches the sea ? This would be the only place where this would show.
- Having Steve code a rule similar to the Gibraltar Rule, that would say that you can access the shores of Maracaibo Lake (104,316, 104,317, 105,315, 105,317, 106,316, 106,317) only if Maracaibo is not in enemy hands.

Moreover, as the bit of the WiF FE map I posted is showing, the 2 OIL resources can be shipped to sea directly from their hexes without going through Maracaibo, so having Maracaibo Lake as a Lake in WiF FE terms would change that.

All this said, frankly this is a tiny issue, how often will MWiF's CVs enter MWiF's Maracaibo Lake I wonder, but I think that they never will.

We'd better let it be how it is.

Another issue would be picking up the eastern oil resources.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 476
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 9/2/2007 9:00:33 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

Here is some info about Lake Maracaibo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Maracaibo

It has brackish water and acts like a major shipping route according to Wikipedia. It also seems oil supertankers enter the ports there and load oil. One of these supertankers crashed with the bridge linking the city of Maracaibo with the rest of Venezuela. This happened in 1964.

So I definitely think it's no problem keeping the all sea hex inside Lake Maracaibo. The lake doesn't have fresh water and even supports supertankers. So I guess warships could have sailed into the lake if they wanted to.

Post #: 477
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 9/2/2007 9:51:58 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Here is some info about Lake Maracaibo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Maracaibo

It has brackish water and acts like a major shipping route according to Wikipedia. It also seems oil supertankers enter the ports there and load oil. One of these supertankers crashed with the bridge linking the city of Maracaibo with the rest of Venezuela. This happened in 1964.

So I definitely think it's no problem keeping the all sea hex inside Lake Maracaibo. The lake doesn't have fresh water and even supports supertankers. So I guess warships could have sailed into the lake if they wanted to.

So be it.

Post #: 478
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 2/1/2008 1:45:42 AM   
marcuswatney

SOUTH AMERICA

Brazil:  The Amazon River Road is an anachronism.  When I was on the Amazon in 1975, Manaus could still only be reached by river.  It is a free port (truly), so the Amazon should be shown as navigable up to that point.  In 1975 the only road out of the Amazon southwards began at Santarem, roughly where Amazon of Amazon River Road is printed ... and it looked pretty new.  Northwards, the road network began at Boa Vista near the source of the Branco and ran to the border with Venezuela and onwards.

Paraguay:  The border with Bolivia is pre-1938.  The Chaco War (1932-35), an appallingly bloody war fought under the mistaken belief there was oil there, resulted in a Paraguayan victory.  The border was adjusted so that it heads west from the Paraguay River, then turns sharply south-southwest.  The Gran Chaco is a general term covering a vast stretch of land from Argentina into Paraguay.  It is probably best to remove this name, as the word Chaco is associated with Paraguay.  Perhaps put 'The Chaco' in NW Paraguay in commemoration of the massive loss of life all for nothing?

Bolivia:  The resource must surely be the Potosi silver mines.  If so, then they are just southwest of Sucre.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 479
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 2/1/2008 8:50:59 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcuswatney
Paraguay:  The border with Bolivia is pre-1938.  The Chaco War (1932-35), an appallingly bloody war fought under the mistaken belief there was oil there, resulted in a Paraguayan victory.  The border was adjusted so that it heads west from the Paraguay River, then turns sharply south-southwest.  The Gran Chaco is a general term covering a vast stretch of land from Argentina into Paraguay.  It is probably best to remove this name, as the word Chaco is associated with Paraguay.  Perhaps put 'The Chaco' in NW Paraguay in commemoration of the massive loss of life all for nothing?

You mean, it should be more like that ? :

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marcuswatney)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWiF Map Review - America Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI