Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR Brian (Axis) & Christian (Allies) "Total War"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> After Action Reports >> AAR Brian (Axis) & Christian (Allies) "Total War" Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR Brian (Axis) & Christian (Allies) "Total War&q... - 10/7/2006 12:03:27 AM   
christian brown

We have already played the Summer 1939 turn so here is a summary of the events of that turn: Atypical German Attack on Poland using a bare minimum of force resulting in a large German force pool ready to move West, which it did. Fairly typical initial Japanese move, the taking of Foochow, bombing rail in Liuchow and Kunming, CAGs prominent in all in an attempt to gain Veteran status. My Russians moved an Infantry unit from the Caucasus to Kharkov, which is my favorite defensive position for the Russians in the face of a German attack later on. Russian builds were heavily weighted toward research, we increased the Evasion and Land Attack Ratings of Infantry and Armor units as well as placing one point in fighter speed. I used all my available supply to buy spies against Japan in the hope of stealing more fighter speed technology from them. In this game, I have chosen to begin Infantry builds in both Kiev and Belorussia which I do not typically do as well as allowing the Tactical Bomber in Gorki to move forward one turn on the production track. Lastly, I paused the Heavy Bomber in Moscow, replaced the Production Point there by starting an Armor on the Production Spiral and added an Armor to the Kursk factory (which I always do.) Having seen the highly aggressive German move, I had my Western Allies shift all available ground forces to France in anticipation of a very early attack. Since my opponent sent his Veteran sub out on turn one, I decided to throw everything I had at this potentially dangerous unit, starting with moving my British CV into range and attacking it with my CAG. This only drove the sub deep so I had to send in many Light Fleets, including my Veteran Light Fleet to finish this unit off. All unused production went into research and supply, with 1 Transport Fleet begun in Australia to help replace the inevitable losses in the Atlantic. The following screenshots highlight what I have seen so far after reviewing my opponent´s move in VCR mode.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 10/12/2006 11:08:40 PM >

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson
Post #: 1
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/7/2006 12:07:24 AM   
christian brown

As you can see, my Chinese Flak was lucky enough to bring down a Japanese Heavy Bomber (heretofore referred to as HB) and gain Veteran level. The following shot shows a failed German attack on Eastern France in Fall 1939. This was a rather surprising move and I now seriously consider my options.

Attachment (1)

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 2
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/7/2006 12:21:45 AM   
christian brown

I have decided that my opponent, a rather wily fellow, probably knew that his Fall attack would fail and will come at me again next turn using everything he has. This may well be a ruse to get me to denude my defenses in Britain for a Sea Lion attempt, so I will shift almost everything possible (Malta and Middle Eastern garrisons) to France to make him pay a high cost for any further such attacks, making sure he cannot outflank me through the Low Countries and keeping adequate forces in the British Home Islands. I guess we´ll see what the Fascist response is soon!

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 3
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 2:02:32 AM   
christian brown

The böches have been successfully repulsed by the formidable Maginot line, but at great cost to the defenders, it is not likely our forces will hold this terrain much longer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/14/2006 2:06:08 AM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 4
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 2:57:56 AM   
christian brown

Inexplicably, the Japanese Air forces move out of range of China. What is Brian up to? He may be planning something really out there but I choose not to react in any way (since this may well be exactly what he wants.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/14/2006 3:01:13 AM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 5
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 2:59:53 AM   
christian brown

France falls on schedule and I await the nasty southward movement of air, with the addition of Italian Sea Forces....(Italy almost always activates the turn after France falls.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/14/2006 3:03:52 AM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 6
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 3:04:44 AM   
christian brown

After brushing aside my Med defenses, Brian moves quickly through Suez and captures the Horn of Africa. WA play was extremely poor, I overestimated the ability of my Naval forces to ward him off and did not adequately prepare a fall-back position south of Egypt and will now pay a high price in transports for my negligence.

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 7
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 3:07:22 AM   
christian brown

Very unsettling, Brian has taken Turkey and is now in a perfect position to seize the Caucasus when he decides to attack Russia (note that an Axis invason of a neutral bordering the Soviet Union does NOT result in an immediate unfreezing of Russia, though there is a significant jump in Russian War Readiness......a great cause for concern.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/14/2006 3:09:38 AM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 8
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 3:09:10 AM   
christian brown

Japan makes a strike into mainland China, he is clearly ready to go to all-out war with all Allied powers now since this also increases US WR substantially.

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 9
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 3:11:23 AM   
christian brown

As you can see, US WR is not that high, though he does not know this, a message appeared at the beginning of my turn informing me that the WR spread available for Brian to consult is 23~33, he may well assume the worst and attack me next turn to avoid a US unfreeze.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/14/2006 3:15:10 AM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 10
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 3:15:17 AM   
christian brown

Russia shifts one more Armor from Moscow to Kharkov, Barbarossa is imminent. I plan to use Kharkov as a base for counterattacks as soon as an opportunity presents itself.

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 11
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 3:16:44 AM   
christian brown

Clearly, Germany is content to hold Suez and withdraws from the Horn (so he can have more forces available against Russia, presumably.)

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 12
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 3:18:01 AM   
christian brown

Here is my WA production screen just before the hammer falls, I hope I have planned well!
Note that CVs are now totally worthwhile in the Pacific and I am building more.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/14/2006 3:21:04 AM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 13
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 3:28:16 PM   
christian brown

Barbarrossa has kicked off, note that the Russian militia unit has held its ground versus 2 German INFs, that bad boy is going "Guards Rifle" that´s for damn sure, even if only on my organizational table! I ponder my options.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/14/2006 3:30:32 PM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 14
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 3:52:22 PM   
christian brown

I tempt fate with a local counterattack aimed at Kiev.....
This does not work, but losses were favorable, almost 1 for 1, I also retook Grozny and reinforced the Caucasus, I think his plan is coming slightly unraveled, an HB strike on his unguarded transports in the Eastern Black Sea sinks a TF, making me feel pretty good about the results of my "turn 1" effort.

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 15
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 3:54:47 PM   
christian brown

Here are the final dispostions (except for the Veteran Armor and Infantry which I send to Kharkov from East Siberia.) With free militia popping up all over the place at the end of my turn, the German faces a formidable task next turn!

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 16
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 4:05:16 PM   
christian brown

I´ve had enough of twiddling my thumbs as the Western Allies, Morocco is now mine. Implications:
Vichy will now activate (which is fine by me since heretofore they´ve been giving 5 supplies plus a reource point to Germany, they will now only give Germany a PP, with with he can do as he chooses.) Perhaps a drive across North Africa will distract him a bit from the East.....
Japan has still not attacked us, though China is now a thoroughly lost cause.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/14/2006 11:49:27 PM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 17
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/14/2006 11:51:19 PM   
christian brown

My opponent was smart enough to check my supply level and so he knew I was unable to conduct major offensive operations this turn. I contented myself with sinking a German TF in the Black sea with my Moscow based HB and moved reinforcements to my Capital, the Caucasus and Kharkov. Some belt tightening is now in order, so unit builds will be few this turn, research and supply is now what Russia needs most.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/15/2006 1:17:12 AM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 18
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/15/2006 2:38:52 PM   
christian brown

Uuuuuuuuurah!
I´ve either just slipped my head in a noose or created a serious problem for OKH. I can resupply my forward armor next turn with my very well protected HB (the Luftwaffe is deployed in Rumania,Turkey and France at this time) assuming they are not eliminated all at once this coming turn. A pretty early counteroffensive with much at stake : 75% of all Russian armor is now deeply embedded in the German Rear areas. At worst, I´ll get surrounded and wiped out, but in any case, I sincereley doubt any attack on Moscow will be undertaken this turn ;)
I also pushed back in the north, killing 2 MILS at no loss (hey, every swinging d*ck counts at this point!)

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 19
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/16/2006 4:26:23 PM   
daniel123

you are a very guttsy player.  i am one who likes to build up my forces both with quantity and quality before i go over to the offence.

Post #: 20
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/17/2006 10:00:45 PM   
christian brown

Well, Moscow is safe (temporarily) but at great cost, my armor (Belorussian Front, lol!) is all gone, bye bye strike force....The flip side is not much of an upside ;)

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to daniel123)
Post #: 21
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/17/2006 10:02:59 PM   
christian brown

After some realignments (Japan is poised in Manchuria, pinning down some 10 odd units in Vladivostok, darn!) we´re left with this:
(I am still VERY concerned about Moscow, this is tenously held to say the least.)

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 22
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/17/2006 10:06:05 PM   
christian brown

China is overrun with the exception of Sinkiang and the border area by Burma (sneaky old Brian is trying something pretty daring by going exclusively after China/Russia and not hitting me at Pearl or taking the DEI.....) His forces are disposed in a tight defensive ring.

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 23
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/17/2006 10:09:10 PM   
christian brown

And I unfreeze, check out the column to the right. The advantage for Japan here is the lack of the huge WR increase associated with a Pearl Harbor attack, I won´t get to the next production multiplier nearly so fast now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/17/2006 11:59:51 PM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 24
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/17/2006 10:12:02 PM   
christian brown

After getting sort of lucky in some minor fleet skirmishes (damaged 2 LFs at no cost and exchanged damaged CAGs in the SW) and beefing up Pearl to an impressive level (4CVs, 6 CAGs, 2 fighters and a bunch of surface forces) this is what I´m left with:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/17/2006 10:13:52 PM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 25
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/18/2006 10:35:58 PM   
christian brown

For though of you with a passing knowledge of the language of Napoleon: "La Russie est dans la merde!"

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 26
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/18/2006 10:41:34 PM   
christian brown

After eviewing the whole map and considering what counts, the choice is made in all of 5 seconds: use the opening provided by the German invasion of Persia as an outlet for WA ground forces to clash with Germany directly! I have my second front and right where I need it. If all goes well, I can even shift supply to the Russians after I clear out the intervening German forces. Since he continues to post significant air resources over the Western Med, I´ll make it as believable as possible that I give a rat´s *ss about North Africa. Tie that bad boy down everywhere I can, Japan will simply be sniped on and generally harrassed (as I did this turn: damaging 3 BBs, a CV and destroying a CAG and 2 TFs w/o losses.)

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 27
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/19/2006 10:33:59 PM   
christian brown

SLIMEY WOG! With all respect due to Brian here, those CAG drivers are exactly that, 2 automatic hits and the equivalent of an offsides Midway. If you had watched these dimmies as I have, you´d have noticed they never went South of the Equator....The rest of the turn is dull and not much happens.

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 28
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/21/2006 10:14:57 PM   
christian brown

After serious reverses on the Eastern Front, including cauldron battles in Kharkov and Grozny, (as well as the capture of all Strategic-Point bearing Russian Cities) my opononent has just crossed the Automatic Victory threshhold......

Attachment (1)

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 29
RE: AAR Brian & Christian "Total War" - 10/21/2006 10:15:36 PM   
christian brown

In the rest of the World:
A serious air battle has been raging for control of the skies over Western Europe. Inconclusive so far.
Greece activates as a minor WA ally and takes Albania, Eastern Turkey and Bulgaria (removing 3 resources from Germany) as well as sinking an unguarded transport fleet in the Eastern Med.
Germany retreats from Persia and I move in and reinforce it, Iam once again within one space by land of Russia (lend-lease soon, my friends!)
Yet another carrier battle occurs, this time in the Tonkin Gulf, 2 Japanese CVs sunk, 2 WA CAGS damaged. More WA carriers mass up off the Western US coast and steam out toward the action for next turn.
Reinforcements are sent to North Africa to hold the Germans in place.

[image]local://upfiles/20729/http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/editupfile.asp?m=1278245
Delete?6C05D73FFD6D4BE0852DAED868B9133C.jpg[/image]

< Message edited by christian brown -- 10/21/2006 10:23:58 PM >

~ Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> After Action Reports >> AAR Brian (Axis) & Christian (Allies) "Total War" Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI