Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Rules Clarification List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Rules Clarification List Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rules Clarification List - 2/15/2007 7:37:04 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I agree with you that if there are no ships in the naval combat, then there is no naval combat. The key word here is 'naval', with a clear implication of there being a navy present. If there are ships in the sea area but they are not included as part of the combat (i.e., in a sea section not included), then they are not fighting and there is no reason for the air planes to be flying. More or less the same thing you said.

I disagree : "Naval" is here to indicate that this happens at sea, not that there are any ships.
Planes can fight even if there are no ships, and this is very frequent in WiF. Planes at sea in WiF FE are treated as ships, that is they stay the whole turn, rebase at the end, etc...

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 61
RE: Rules Clarification List - 2/15/2007 7:47:28 AM   
Froonp

11.5.1, 11.5.2, 11.5.4 are clear that all you need to start a initiate combat are non-convoy "units", and that the other side fights with all the "units" he have. Units are both planes and ships, so planes can fight planes when there are no ships. The only thing that can't occur is CP alone fighting CP alone.

11.5.1 Combat sequence
(...)
You can’t try to initiate naval combat at all if you chose a land or pass action. However, your units can take part in any combat that another major power initiates.
Choose a sea area and initiate a combat there. You can only choose an area if it contains at least one unit from each side that are at war with each other.

11.5.2 Initiating a combat
To initiate a combat, point to a sea area where you have a face-up (non-convoy) unit at war with another major power, and announce that you will initiate combat there. If you have no face-up units in the area (except convoys), you can’t initiate a combat there. If you chose an air action, the unit chosen must be an aircraft.

11.5.4 Committing units
You must commit every non-SUB unit in the sea area to combat. You have a choice whether or not to commit your side’s SUBs. If you decide to do so, you must commit all your side’s SUBs in the area. The active side decides whether to commit SUBs first.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 2/15/2007 8:00:14 AM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 62
RE: Rules Clarification List - 2/15/2007 9:16:01 PM   
Jimm

Wow. I can't see the flaw in that. I would have agreed with Steve and Coregames all the way on this one. I wonder how many people play it this way though?

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 63
Overrunning surprised or used Convoys - 2/17/2007 9:19:13 AM   
Frederyck

The rule for overrunning units (11.11.6) is pretty straight-forward, apart from what happens with surprised or used Convoys. It says:

" [...] If a land unit from the other side moves into a port containing any of your naval units, they must rebase. Before they do, roll for each face-down or surprised naval unit there.
If you roll a ‘5’ or higher, you keep control of the unit. If you roll a ‘1’, the enemy major power takes control of it until destroyed (option 46: partisans destroy naval units instead of taking control). Place it in the Repair pool. On a roll of ‘2’ ~ ‘4’, it is destroyed. [...] "

The key sentence is if you roll a '1' for a naval unit (convoy), your enemy takes control of it *and places it in the Repair pool*. Since convoys can't be repaired, as they cannot be damaged, what happens to it? Does the overrunning player get control of it, or is it destroyed?

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 64
Warlords and city conquest - 2/17/2007 9:28:32 AM   
Frederyck

The rule for Chinese Warlords (22.4.15) says:

"[...] When a warlord’s home city is conquered (or captured by the other Chinese faction), the warlord unit is immediately removed from the game, even before other combats are resolved (and ones that would have included their units). [...]

The use of the word "conquered" here is problematic. That word, while obviously having a normal English meaning, has a specific in-game use, in conjunction with the fall of minors or majors. Am I correct in assuming that a better wording of the above rule should use the word "occupy", ie the same word used US Entry Action 10 - Japan occupies Chinese City? From the context of the rule, I think it seems obvious that this specific "conquest" could occur during combat, but I'd like some verification of this.

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 65
RE: Overrunning surprised or used Convoys - 2/17/2007 11:29:39 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frederyck

The rule for overrunning units (11.11.6) is pretty straight-forward, apart from what happens with surprised or used Convoys. It says:

" [...] If a land unit from the other side moves into a port containing any of your naval units, they must rebase. Before they do, roll for each face-down or surprised naval unit there.
If you roll a ‘5’ or higher, you keep control of the unit. If you roll a ‘1’, the enemy major power takes control of it until destroyed (option 46: partisans destroy naval units instead of taking control). Place it in the Repair pool. On a roll of ‘2’ ~ ‘4’, it is destroyed. [...] "

The key sentence is if you roll a '1' for a naval unit (convoy), your enemy takes control of it *and places it in the Repair pool*. Since convoys can't be repaired, as they cannot be damaged, what happens to it? Does the overrunning player get control of it, or is it destroyed?

I'd say that you take control of it immediately.

I say that because the rule for "taking control" of overrunned ships had them being immediately controlled by the overrunning power in the initial rule. The rule was then changed in that now the overrunned unit is not more immediately controlled, but must be "repaired" first, but convoys were not thought of IMO.

I think that this "repair" is in fact the refurbishing of the ship with miscellaneous equipment (navigation instruments, communication, detection...), maybe various weapons (all Browning or Vickers MG being replaced by MG17 for example), and also a whole crew from the new major power.

As convoys can't be "damaged", they can only be immediately transfered to the controller.

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 66
RE: Warlords and city conquest - 2/17/2007 11:51:21 AM   
Froonp

quote:

The rule for Chinese Warlords (22.4.15) says:

"[...] When a warlord’s home city is conquered (or captured by the other Chinese faction), the warlord unit is immediately removed from the game, even before other combats are resolved (and ones that would have included their units). [...]

The use of the word "conquered" here is problematic. That word, while obviously having a normal English meaning, has a specific in-game use, in conjunction with the fall of minors or majors. Am I correct in assuming that a better wording of the above rule should use the word "occupy", ie the same word used US Entry Action 10 - Japan occupies Chinese City? From the context of the rule, I think it seems obvious that this specific "conquest" could occur during combat, but I'd like some verification of this.

While I agree that the use of the word "conquered" can be seen as problematic because of the reasons you list, I think that there is no such thing as "city conquering" in WiF. Only countries (Major Power, Minor countries, and Territories) can be conquered in WiF, not cities.

So maybe the wording could have been better with the use of the "occupy" word, but for me it is clear that the intend is for that action (warlord unit immediately removed from the game) to happen during combat or movement, that is not during the conquest phase.

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 67
RE: Warlords and city conquest - 2/17/2007 11:36:14 PM   
Ullern

More trouble list:

There is an issue with strategic bombardment that I believe are played differently in various groups.
quote:

quote from rules:

A target hex can be any hex that contains an enemy controlled usable factory. A factory is usable if the controlling side could transport a resource to it and, if they did, it would produce a production point (see 13.6.1).

Problem number one is what the words "could transport a resource to it " means. Problem number two is what happens if the factory is later captured, destroyed, or it's impossible to take a resource at end of turn.

Problem number one first:
A fairly normal situation in China is that China still got Kunming, but the only way to transport resources to Kunming is via the Burma road. And for this example: say that none of the allies are willing to lend China any resources. I would claim that the Kunming factory is still usable with the above definition, because Commonwealth can lend it’s Burma oil to China. That CW didn’t choose do so this turn is none of the concern for the axis. The rules say the factory is usable if the “side” could transport a resource to it. And the allies can if they want to.

Another example of problem number one, which might have a different ruling than the previous example:
Say USA did lend a resource to China, but the CP needed to transport the resource is still in port in Manila. This is sort of the same issue up above. Because the Kunming factory could produce if another country on the same side sent out a CP - a single naval move.
(If you rule that the factory is usable in this situation, you have to consider ruling it usable if there is a CP anywhere on the map that would allow the resource to be transported.)

So the question is what does the words "could transport a resource to it " mean. The fact that the rules doesn’t allow you to change lend lease during the “implementing actions” it that enough to make it unusable. Could if the other side moved some units, as of right now?

Problem number two:
Simple example:
A factory is strategically bombarded, later it is captured. The first owner still looses the production point, and later looses the factory so he looses two production points in this example. (Actually this example is really not under any discussion at all for this is clarified in the rules: the rules states that production points lost in strategic bombardment “will be lost from the factory owner’s production point total for the turn.”)

More advanced example:
Russia: In this example the only resource that can be transported to the Krasnodar factory is the oil two hexes east. First the German strategically bombs Krasnodar. USSR looses a production point from the total. Later the German strategically bombs the oil resources. Now the factory is no longer usable, but it was when it was strategically bombed, so the production point lost is still lost.

Conclusion
The above example shows it’s possible for a country to get a negative number of production points. (Some of the rules needs to be clarified though.) The rules do also not state what happens when a country gets a negative number of production points so this does also need clarification.

A relevant example of the last point:
In this game France has already lost Metz and Algeria, and the Italian have ZOCed the resource in the alps leaving France with four resources in France. But at that point the front has temporarily stopped. The French are strategically bombarded and looses a total of six production points. Now there are only four usable resources in France, but France does also have the Senegal resource, the Iraq oil and the Indo China resource. And all these are linked by CP, so France can have seven production points if she wants to, minus six = one. But as always the number of CP at sea are too few for the allies, so at end of turn the CW and French agree that CW can use all the CPs for resource transportation. Leaving France with only 4 -6 = minus 2 production points. But in addition the CW did lend both a resource and a three BP to France. The CW looses the resource anyway, but CW sends the BP to France. Now France have -2 production points and receives 3 BPs, what happens?

With all the above examples you may think anything is allowed. That’s not the case: Say you tried to destroy a factory with strategic bombardment. You didn’t destroy it, but the production points in the hex are lost. You spend a HQ to unflipp the bombers to try a second round in the same turn. “BEEP!” Not allowed! This is stated two places: Most clearly it’s stated in one of the later paragraphs of the 11.7 rule “You can’t lose more production points in a turn than there are usable factories in the hex or more oil than there are oil resources there.” But it’s also stated in the first paragraph of target hexes: “A factory is usable if the controlling side could transport a resource to it and, if they did, it would produce a production point.” The last part of that sentence is of course also important. A factory that is already successfully strategically bombarded would not produce a production point if a resource is transported to it. So that means the factory is considered not usable with this rule. The rule clearly states that only usable factories and oil resources can be targets, so this protects the factory from further bombing raids until next turn.
(What if the hex contained two factories and one of them isn’t usable because it already lost a production point to strategic bombardment, but the other factory is usable. Are both factories lost if you get two ** on the result table?)

Just my two cents ... err

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 68
RE: Warlords and city conquest - 2/18/2007 12:25:47 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: ullern
Problem number one is what the words "could transport a resource to it " means. Problem number two is what happens if the factory is later captured, destroyed, or it's impossible to take a resource at end of turn.

Problem number one first:
A fairly normal situation in China is that China still got Kunming, but the only way to transport resources to Kunming is via the Burma road. And for this example: say that none of the allies are willing to lend China any resources. I would claim that the Kunming factory is still usable with the above definition, because Commonwealth can lend it’s Burma oil to China. That CW didn’t choose do so this turn is none of the concern for the axis. The rules say the factory is usable if the “side” could transport a resource to it. And the allies can if they want to.

I don't know why you call this problem number one.
I agree that Kunming is "usable", and see no problem with that.

quote:

Another example of problem number one, which might have a different ruling than the previous example:
Say USA did lend a resource to China, but the CP needed to transport the resource is still in port in Manila. This is sort of the same issue up above. Because the Kunming factory could produce if another country on the same side sent out a CP - a single naval move.
(If you rule that the factory is usable in this situation, you have to consider ruling it usable if there is a CP anywhere on the map that would allow the resource to be transported.)

Same. No problem here. Kunming is still usable. I'd even say it is usable even if there is no CP, if China can send a RP to it through its rail network / Burma Road, but prefer to send the RP elswhere.

quote:

So the question is what does the words "could transport a resource to it " mean. The fact that the rules doesn’t allow you to change lend lease during the “implementing actions” it that enough to make it unusable. Could if the other side moved some units, as of right now?

I think that the problem is not there. The "could transport a resource to it" was added to explain what a functionning factory was. The question is what is a functionning factory. A functionning factory is a factory that is not destroyed, not surrounded by enemy, that is, a factory that could have produced if enough RP were available and one was sent to it.
This part was added to prevent the German to say to the CW player "hey, the Lille factory does not receive an RP, so bombing it is useless". If the Lille Factory is repaired, and not isolated from the rest of German controlled territory, it is "usable".

quote:

Problem number two:
Simple example:
A factory is strategically bombarded, later it is captured. The first owner still looses the production point, and later looses the factory so he looses two production points in this example. (Actually this example is really not under any discussion at all for this is clarified in the rules: the rules states that production points lost in strategic bombardment “will be lost from the factory owner’s production point total for the turn.”)

More advanced example:
Russia: In this example the only resource that can be transported to the Krasnodar factory is the oil two hexes east. First the German strategically bombs Krasnodar. USSR looses a production point from the total. Later the German strategically bombs the oil resources. Now the factory is no longer usable, but it was when it was strategically bombed, so the production point lost is still lost.

Conclusion
The above example shows it’s possible for a country to get a negative number of production points. (Some of the rules needs to be clarified though.) The rules do also not state what happens when a country gets a negative number of production points so this does also need clarification.

Well, I disagree. Negative PP can't happen, production can't be lower than 0, let's call it common sense.

quote:

A relevant example of the last point:
In this game France has already lost Metz and Algeria, and the Italian have ZOCed the resource in the alps leaving France with four resources in France. But at that point the front has temporarily stopped. The French are strategically bombarded and looses a total of six production points. Now there are only four usable resources in France, but France does also have the Senegal resource, the Iraq oil and the Indo China resource. And all these are linked by CP, so France can have seven production points if she wants to, minus six = one. But as always the number of CP at sea are too few for the allies, so at end of turn the CW and French agree that CW can use all the CPs for resource transportation. Leaving France with only 4 -6 = minus 2 production points. But in addition the CW did lend both a resource and a three BP to France. The CW looses the resource anyway, but CW sends the BP to France. Now France have -2 production points and receives 3 BPs, what happens?

France has 0 PP, why would you want France to have -2 ???

quote:

With all the above examples you may think anything is allowed. That’s not the case: Say you tried to destroy a factory with strategic bombardment. You didn’t destroy it, but the production points in the hex are lost. You spend a HQ to unflipp the bombers to try a second round in the same turn. “BEEP!” Not allowed! This is stated two places: Most clearly it’s stated in one of the later paragraphs of the 11.7 rule “You can’t lose more production points in a turn than there are usable factories in the hex or more oil than there are oil resources there.” But it’s also stated in the first paragraph of target hexes: “A factory is usable if the controlling side could transport a resource to it and, if they did, it would produce a production point.”

This means that this factory has been put down to rubble, by having all its PP destroyed, but that the enemy can keep on bombing it if he wants, as it is still a valid target. Same as ground striking a hex where there are 2/3 units flipped. The one already flipped can't be flipped again. There is no problem here neither.

quote:

The last part of that sentence is of course also important. A factory that is already successfully strategically bombarded would not produce a production point if a resource is transported to it. So that means the factory is considered not usable with this rule. The rule clearly states that only usable factories and oil resources can be targets, so this protects the factory from further bombing raids until next turn.
(What if the hex contained two factories and one of them isn’t usable because it already lost a production point to strategic bombardment, but the other factory is usable. Are both factories lost if you get two ** on the result table?)

Just my two cents ... err

ullern, I want to try what you are smoking (no offense meant, I'm just kidding )

To sum up, I'd say I see no problem here.
Sure, the rule could add detail about PP not being able to go negative, or more details again, but, hey, if the rule was that detailed for everything, it would be 1,000 pages long . Harry tried to detail what a usable factory was, and here we are, arguing about the explanation.

I say, think simple.

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 69
RE: Warlords and city conquest - 2/18/2007 1:30:02 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I believe all the situations you ask about are handled within the rules. At the risk of being boring, I’ll discuss normal production in some detail first so I can refer back to words/phrases when examining the questions you posed.

I think of production as factories, resources, and production points. In the simple, basic design of WIF production, you count the # of factories you have that can receive resources and the # of resources that can reach factories. Then you take the minimum of those two counts as production points. However, there are caveats.

You have to view groups of factories that are linked via rail lines as a network and resources that reach factories via convoys as a network. Resources that can reach one factory in a group can reach all the factories in the group. However, networks have pipeline constraints, which for convoys are the # of convoys available to ship resources and for rail lines, any straits hexsides that can’t be routed around (i.e., they have to be used). It is easiest to split factory networks into pieces if straits hexsides are involved: with segment A on one side of the straits and segment B on the other.

Now you analyze each factory group and the resources that can reach it, taking the minimum # of the factory hexes and the resources as the # of production points. Making sure not to use resources twice, do this for all the factory groups and you have the total production points available.

Which brings us to the problems you posed.

1 - The Kunming question is resolved using the sequence of play. Lending resources precedes strategic bombing, so if none of the Allies is willing to commit to sending resources to Kunming during a turn, and the Kunming factory is cut off from the other Chinese resources at the time of the strategic bombing phase, then the factory is not usable. Strategic bombing of the factory is not possible because the factory is not usable. If you assume that ‘usable’ applies beyond the time frame of the turn, then what prevents you from assuming that the Chinese will recover control of rail hexes later in the turn and the factory will later become usable. In fact this is a possibility. A factory may not be usable early in the turn because of a broken rail net but be usable later in the turn because of a restored rail net. While it is cut off (i.e., not usable), it can not be strategically bombed.

2 - The Krasnodor question involves the loss of a production point through strategic bombing. The loss of the one and only resource that could reach it is redundant/overkill and has no further effect on the USSR’s production point total.

3 - The captured factory that had already lost a production point through strategic bombing is different from the Krasnodor question but is a related example of redundant/overkill loss of production capacity. That the factory was usable at the time of the strategic bombing means that a resource was ‘committed’ to it, and the loss of a production point reflects the loss of both the factory and a resource (though which resource specifically is unknown). Once the factory is captured, it is removed from the major power’s factory group when determining production points. I would not penalize the major power twice for the loss of the factory. However, nor would I “give back” the resource point that was lost. So if the major power: (1) started the turn with 4 factories and 3 resource points, (2) lost a production point due to strategic bombing, and (3) had that same factory captured during the turn, I would say he has only 2 production points available, since he effectively has 3 factories and 2 resources available. If nothing changes by the end of the next turn, he would have 3 production points. Alternatively, if he started with 3 factories and 4 resources, and the same events transpired he would again have 2 production points (2 factories and 3 resources available). And lastly, given 3 factories and 3 resources, would also result in 2 production points.

4 - The answer to your question concerning France losing 6 production points due to strategic bombing hinges on the convoys. At one time the WIF rules had the players designate which resources where going to be routed through which convoys at the start of a turn. That is no longer the case in WIFFE. Instead, the routing of resources through convoys is done during the production phase. Because of this, the loophole you describe exists: the French player can purposely starve his factories of resources by devoting his convoys to transporting CW resources. This has to do with the pipeline constraints imposed by convoys when determining total production points. The French would end up with zero production points (negative production points being meaningless). They would receive the 3 build points from CW.

5 - As for destroying 2 factories when only one of them is usable, I believe the fact each hex is 90-100 km is relevant. If there are 2 factories but only 1 resource can reach them, then both could be destroyed on a ** result. If one of two factories in a hex was rendered unusable due to strategic bombing, then a ** result would only destroy 1 of them. My logic here is that an unusable factory would not be targeted by strategic bombing command.

Anyway, that is my take on how these situations should be handled - I don’t know what the code does currently.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 70
RE: Warlords and city conquest - 2/18/2007 2:08:08 AM   
Froonp

quote:

3 - The captured factory that had already lost a production point through strategic bombing is different from the Krasnodor question but is a related example of redundant/overkill loss of production capacity. That the factory was usable at the time of the strategic bombing means that a resource was ‘committed’ to it, and the loss of a production point reflects the loss of both the factory and a resource (though which resource specifically is unknown). Once the factory is captured, it is removed from the major power’s factory group when determining production points. I would not penalize the major power twice for the loss of the factory. However, nor would I “give back” the resource point that was lost. So if the major power: (1) started the turn with 4 factories and 3 resource points, (2) lost a production point due to strategic bombing, and (3) had that same factory captured during the turn, I would say he has only 2 production points available, since he effectively has 3 factories and 2 resources available. If nothing changes by the end of the next turn, he would have 3 production points. Alternatively, if he started with 3 factories and 4 resources, and the same events transpired he would again have 2 production points (2 factories and 3 resources available). And lastly, given 3 factories and 3 resources, would also result in 2 production points.

Well, not sure to follow you here, but wanted to say that if a Major Power starts the turn with 4 factories and 3 RP, and he looses a PP to strat bomb, he will have 1 PP substracted from his total at the production phase.
So, if one of the 4 factories is also destroyed, or captured, or isolated from RP during the turn, then he will have 3 PP (providing that the 3 other RP can reach the 3 other factories), from which 1 PP will be substracted from strategic bombing, so in the end he will have 2 PP.

Post #: 71
RE: Warlords and city conquest - 2/18/2007 2:15:18 AM   
Froonp

Here is what the Clarification document from Harry have about Strat bombing :

11.7 Strategic bombardment
Q If the hex later changes sides what happens to the effects?
Ans> Destroyed factories stay destroyed.

But what about the effects of the strategic bombing. are
they lost, applied to the power bombed, or the power owning
the factory hex, what affect does the change in the
number of useable factories have?
Ans The points are still lost to the major power that controlled
the factory during the bombing, even if it changes hands
later in the turn. Please explain your last question - what
case concerns you? Date: 11/6/97

Target hexes
Q 11.7, Target hexes
Replace the 1st paragraph with:
“A target hex can be any usable enemy controlled factory
hex. A factory hex is usable if the controlling side could
transport a resource to it and, if they did, it would produce
a production point (see 13.6.1).”
What is meant by ‘could’ here
World in Flames Clarifications 35
a) has a path by which a resource can be shipped to the
hex.
b) Is permitted by 13.6.1 to ship a resource to it.
Ans “Could” means that you are in a position AT THAT
MOMENT to transport a resource there (e.g. convoy
points in position if necessary). Date: 8/6/97

The bombing
Q 11.7, The bombing
Replace the 5th paragraph with:
“You can’t lose more production points in a turn than
there are usable factories in the hex or more oil than there
are oil resources there.”
Is this usable in the sense of ‘usable factory hex’ defined
above, or of ‘usable factory’ defined in 13.6.1?
Ans In the above sense. Date: 8/6/97

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 72
RE: Warlords and city conquest - 2/18/2007 2:49:07 AM   
Mziln

Basically what the words "could transport a resource to it " means is could resources be transported to the factory to be used. See 13.6.1 Resources - Transporting resources by rail and Transporting resources by sea.

Example: Suppose you control a pocket surrounded by enemy controlled hexes. Within the pocket, you have 2 factories and 5 resources. You can only use 2 of those resources because the other 3 don’t have a factory they can be transported to.

If the 5 resources are not in the pocket the factory is unusable. Strategic bombardment of a factory with no resources would have no effect on production.

The bombing

If the target is a factory hex, that number of production points will be lost from the factory owner’s production point total for the turn (see 13.6.3).

You can’t lose more production points in a turn than there are usable factories in the hex or more oil than there are oil resources there.

Once your production reaches zero or less for a turn then you have no production for that turn. You cannot "owe" resource or production points.

< Message edited by Mziln -- 2/18/2007 3:16:07 AM >

Post #: 73
RE: Rules Clarification List - 2/19/2007 9:31:20 PM   
coregames

quote:

ORIGINAL: coregames

This may sound silly, but someone in our current game is under the impression that, in a naval combat with only planes involved, an air-to-air combat can still occur. I tried to tell him that without ships to target, there can be no bombing mission to escort.

Our gaming group was still confused, based on our various interpretations of the rules. Our solution was to allow an air combat as long as at least one side has air-to-sea factors involved.

"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 74
RE: Rules Clarification List - 2/19/2007 9:43:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

This may sound silly, but someone in our current game is under the impression that, in a naval combat with only planes involved, an air-to-air combat can still occur. I tried to tell him that without ships to target, there can be no bombing mission to escort.

Our gaming group was still confused, based on our various interpretations of the rules. Our solution was to allow an air combat as long as at least one side has air-to-sea factors involved.

As per Patrice's post on this subject - yes.

Steve

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 75
RE: Rules Clarification List - 2/19/2007 11:53:25 PM   
Froonp

quote:

There will be A2A in a sea area as long as one side has FTR. Having bombers presents is irrelevant, and having ships is irrelevant too. Even air groups composed only of FTR will fight each other. Both try to dominate the same stretch of water, so why would they not fight and wait for ships to be present ?
Air Groups try to win Air superiority over sea areas in the absence of ships, to allow for vulnerable ships to come latter, when the A2A strength of the enemy is softened.

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 76
RE: Overrunning surprised or used Convoys - 2/21/2007 4:08:33 PM   
mmn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

I say that because the rule for "taking control" of overrunned ships had them being immediately controlled by the overrunning power in the initial rule. The rule was then changed in that now the overrunned unit is not more immediately controlled, but must be "repaired" first, but convoys were not thought of IMO.

I think that this "repair" is in fact the refurbishing of the ship with miscellaneous equipment (navigation instruments, communication, detection...), maybe various weapons (all Browning or Vickers MG being replaced by MG17 for example), and also a whole crew from the new major power.

As convoys can't be "damaged", they can only be immediately transfered to the controller.

This occurred in my gaming group last sunday. After a bit of discussion we agreed that the overrunning power would take control of half the CPs (round up). We thought that since 2 CPs make up a ship it could suffer a D result (which we thought was in effect happening) leaving 1 CP to take control of.

/Morten

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 77
RE: Overrunning surprised or used Convoys - 2/21/2007 7:59:51 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: mmn
quote:

quote:

This occurred in my gaming group last sunday. After a bit of discussion we agreed that the overrunning power would take control of half the CPs (round up). We thought that since 2 CPs make up a ship it could suffer a D result (which we thought was in effect happening) leaving 1 CP to take control of.

/Morten

I agree with Patrice's interpretation. Repairing naval units includes reoutfitting the ship with munitions, supplies, and crew. I have always believed that is why when the Bearn is transferred to the US, it arrives 'damaged'. Convoys need a lot less outfitting before being put to use - merely a new merchant marine crew, which shouldn't require any special training.

Steve

(in reply to mmn)
Post #: 78
RE: Warlords and city conquest - 2/21/2007 9:30:41 PM   
Ullern

quote:

Here is what the Clarification document from Harry have about Strat bombing :

Q If the hex later changes sides what happens to the effects?
Ans> Destroyed factories stay destroyed.

But what about the effects of the strategic bombing. are
they lost, applied to the power bombed, or the power owning
the factory hex, what affect does the change in the
number of useable factories have?
Ans The points are still lost to the major power that controlled
the factory during the bombing, even if it changes hands
later in the turn. Please explain your last question - what
case concerns you? Date: 11/6/97

Target hexes
Q 11.7, Target hexes
Replace the 1st paragraph with:
“A target hex can be any usable enemy controlled factory
hex. A factory hex is usable if the controlling side could
transport a resource to it and, if they did, it would produce
a production point (see 13.6.1).”
What is meant by ‘could’ here
World in Flames Clarifications 35
a) has a path by which a resource can be shipped to the
hex.
b) Is permitted by 13.6.1 to ship a resource to it.
Ans “Could” means that you are in a position AT THAT
MOMENT to transport a resource there (e.g. convoy
points in position if necessary). Date: 8/6/97

The bombing
Q 11.7, The bombing
Replace the 5th paragraph with:
“You can’t lose more production points in a turn than
there are usable factories in the hex or more oil than there
are oil resources there.”
Is this usable in the sense of ‘usable factory hex’ defined
above, or of ‘usable factory’ defined in 13.6.1?
Ans In the above sense. Date: 8/6/97

The clarifications you found here are quite good, and I am happy to accept them. I will point out though that this disallows many of the examples I wrote, and is also inconsistent with Patrice's first answer, but in line with Steve's answer. The loophole example Steve refered to in my mail exist though . (Steve's point 4)

Ullern.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 79
RE: Rules Clarification List - 2/21/2007 9:36:33 PM   
coregames

quote:

There will be A2A in a sea area as long as one side has FTR. Having bombers presents is irrelevant, and having ships is irrelevant too. Even air groups composed only of FTR will fight each other. Both try to dominate the same stretch of water, so why would they not fight and wait for ships to be present ?
Air Groups try to win Air superiority over sea areas in the absence of ships, to allow for vulnerable ships to come latter, when the A2A strength of the enemy is softened.

I can accept that rules interpretation. My only question is: why no fighter-to-fighter combats over land? Certainly air superiority is important there as well. Of course this is a game, and the rules can't always make perfect sense, but if fighter-only combats are possible at sea, it seems they should be allowed over land as well.

"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 80
RE: Rules Clarification List - 2/21/2007 10:08:30 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I can accept that rules interpretation. My only question is: why no fighter-to-fighter combats over land? Certainly air superiority is important there as well. Of course this is a game, and the rules can't always make perfect sense, but if fighter-only combats are possible at sea, it seems they should be allowed over land as well.

Because in the game, the concept of patrolling aircrafts only exists at sea, and the only aircrafts that are allowed to patrol are FTR and bombers with Air to Sea Factors.

Over the ground, the only FTR to FTR battles that you can have are those that often happen when, after all bombers have been cleared to their objectives, the FTR keep on fighting each other. No obligation here, just a will from both sides to try to gain air superiority by inflincting more losses on the enemy than they suffer.

I also might point out that historically, the British invented the Circus Missions in 1941, just to challenge the Luftwaffe Fighters in the West. These Circus Missions involved a small number of light bombers (6-12 Blenheims, Bostons, ...) escorted by large numbers of fighters, often a whole Wing. The Brits had previously experienced that the usual Fighter Sweeps missions were usually ignored by the Luftwaffe fighters who suffered from numerical inferiority, so they tried adding some incensitive for the Germans to come to fight by putting bombers in the fray. This did not work really well until the Allies were able to mount real large scale bomber raids that the Germans couldn't ignore anymore.

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 81
RE: Warlords and city conquest - 2/21/2007 10:15:44 PM   
Froonp

quote:

The clarifications you found here are quite good, and I am happy to accept them. I will point out though that this disallows many of the examples I wrote, and is also inconsistent with Patrice's first answer, but in line with Steve's answer.

Yes, I agree that the clarifications I posted made some of my previous answers wrong. But I've posted these to show my error (especially with Kunming factory being usable all the time, which I believed, but that is only true if a RP is effectively able to reach it).

quote:

The loophole example Steve refered to in my mail exist though . (Steve's point 4)

Steve 4th point was :
quote:

4 - The answer to your question concerning France losing 6 production points due to strategic bombing hinges on the convoys. At one time the WIF rules had the players designate which resources where going to be routed through which convoys at the start of a turn. That is no longer the case in WIFFE. Instead, the routing of resources through convoys is done during the production phase. Because of this, the loophole you describe exists: the French player can purposely starve his factories of resources by devoting his convoys to transporting CW resources. This has to do with the pipeline constraints imposed by convoys when determining total production points. The French would end up with zero production points (negative production points being meaningless). They would receive the 3 build points from CW.

Well, there may be a loophole here, but I do not really see what is the problem.
I for one am ok with this. Moreover, this is completely theoric, as the positions of the French Convoys (if they were positionned to ship French RP) will often not allow to ship CW RP, and if they allow, they will not often be needed for that, ans CW Convoys will already be here to transport them. So the case is purely theoric, and as aplayer I never experienced it, even with France that was inflicted 3 PP of strategical bomberdement.

(in reply to Ullern)
Post #: 82
Minor country units - 2/22/2007 3:38:56 PM   
Frederyck

What happens to a minor country's units if the country first is aligned, then becomes neutral and then is aligned again? For example, say that

a) the Russian player claims Bessarabia but is refused -> Russia must declare war against Rumania (19.6.2 Rumania)
b) when this happens, Rumania is allied to for example Germany. (19.2 Entering the war)
c) Rumanian units are set up according to the rules (19.4 Minor country units)
d) Russia attacks one Rumanian unit and destroys it but fails to take the hex. The German player decides to add this unit to his force pool. (19.4 Minor country units - Production)
e) In the next peace step, Germany enforces a peace between USSR and Rumania (19.6.2 Rumania), making Rumania neutral once more.

What happens to the Rumanian units now? There are a few on the map, a few Reserves on the production circle and one in the German force pool.

And what happens later the next turn if Germany decides to align Rumania again?

There are probably some applicable rules for this somewhere, but I am rather uncertain which ones to apply in this situation.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 83
RE: Minor country units - 2/22/2007 3:59:17 PM   
Froonp

quote:

What happens to a minor country's units if the country first is aligned, then becomes neutral and then is aligned again? For example, say that

a) the Russian player claims Bessarabia but is refused -> Russia must declare war against Rumania (19.6.2 Rumania)
b) when this happens, Rumania is allied to for example Germany. (19.2 Entering the war)
c) Rumanian units are set up according to the rules (19.4 Minor country units)
d) Russia attacks one Rumanian unit and destroys it but fails to take the hex. The German player decides to add this unit to his force pool. (19.4 Minor country units - Production)
e) In the next peace step, Germany enforces a peace between USSR and Rumania (19.6.2 Rumania), making Rumania neutral once more.

What happens to the Rumanian units now? There are a few on the map, a few Reserves on the production circle and one in the German force pool.

The rule about conquest convers this doesn't it ?
This is a complete conquest of Rumania, so Rumanian units are removed from the game (from memory). Whatever, the effects of complete conquest should be applied to Rumania.

quote:

And what happens later the next turn if Germany decides to align Rumania again?

The normal alignement rule applies normaly. Because of the conquest, there might be units missign (removed from the game), I do not remember, the conquest rules must be read.

quote:

There are probably some applicable rules for this somewhere, but I am rather uncertain which ones to apply in this situation.

Conquest Rules.

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 84
RE: Minor country units - 2/22/2007 4:58:11 PM   
Frederyck

quote:

The rule about conquest convers this doesn't it ?
This is a complete conquest of Rumania, so Rumanian units are removed from the game (from memory). Whatever, the effects of complete conquest should be applied to Rumania.

Why is this a conquest?

"13.7.1 Conquest
You can only conquer a home country or territory if you are at war with the major power or minor country that controls it."

The USSR is not at war with Germany, and it is Germany that controls Rumania. Also, no conqest of any kind has occured - Russia has declared a war on a minor, and then Germany has negotiated an end to the hostilities with no hexes having switched ownership.

Edit: I see now in the rules that the USSR actually can conquer Rumania as a special case
("If the USSR conquers Rumania:
● Germany can declare Hungary aligned with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war step; and
● Bulgaria can never align with Germany but the USSR can declare it aligned with the USSR during any later Allied declaration of war step.")

But that is not what happened in my scenario above.

< Message edited by Frederyck -- 2/22/2007 5:20:41 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 85
RE: Minor country units - 2/22/2007 5:09:51 PM   
Mziln

I agree with Frederyck. Why is it a conquest?

Germany can enforce a peace between Rumania and the USSR during any peace step if:

(1) No hex of Rumania, outside of Bessarabia, is Soviet controlled;
(2) Germany and the USSR are not at war.

13.7.3 Mutual peace

Players can also agree to reach a peace between a major power and a minor country. In that case, they return to their pre-war borders (exception: see Soviet border rectification 19.6).

19.6 Soviet border rectification

If Rumania and the USSR come to peace:
(1) Rumania again becomes a neutral minor country; (IMO units would revert back to a neutral Rumania)
(2) The USSR keeps control of Bessarabia provided there is a Soviet land unit anywhere in Bessarabia; and
(3) Germany can declare Rumania, Hungary and Bulgaria aligned with Germany during any later Axis declaration of war steps.

Would built and/or destroyed units be available for setup if Rumania would go back to war with the USSR?

< Message edited by Mziln -- 2/22/2007 5:42:35 PM >

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 86
RE: Minor country units - 2/22/2007 6:00:37 PM   
composer99

I am also not sure where you're coming from, Patrice. If Germany manages to enforce a peace between Rumania and the USSR, it is pretty clear that Rumania is not conquered, and therefore does not suffer the consequences of conquest.

I would say that in the event of an enforced peace, all Rumanian units on the map, on the production spiral, in the construction, repair or reserve pools and in the German force pool are removed from play. If/when Rumania is subsequently aligned, their units are returned to the map according to the normal alignment rules without any reductions to their forces from being conquered and liberated.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 87
RE: Minor country units - 2/22/2007 6:02:56 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I am also not sure where you're coming from, Patrice. If Germany manages to enforce a peace between Rumania and the USSR, it is pretty clear that Rumania is not conquered, and therefore does not suffer the consequences of conquest.

Yes you're right boys, I read the question to quickly, and assumed that Rumania got conquered by Germany.
My whole mail is a big piece of crap I think, I'm not in a very good day today

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 88
RE: Minor country units - 2/22/2007 6:07:30 PM   
Froonp

quote:

would say that in the event of an enforced peace, all Rumanian units on the map, on the production spiral, in the construction, repair or reserve pools and in the German force pool are removed from play. If/when Rumania is subsequently aligned, their units are returned to the map according to the normal alignment rules without any reductions to their forces from being conquered and liberated.

And I say that I agree totaly with you .

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 89
RE: Minor country units - 2/22/2007 6:52:29 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

would say that in the event of an enforced peace, all Rumanian units on the map, on the production spiral, in the construction, repair or reserve pools and in the German force pool are removed from play. If/when Rumania is subsequently aligned, their units are returned to the map according to the normal alignment rules without any reductions to their forces from being conquered and liberated.

And I say that I agree totaly with you .

For what it is worth, I agree. I think of this as being comparable to USSR reserve units should a mutual peace with Japan occur.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Rules Clarification List Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI