Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Ratings >> RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 10/22/2006 7:32:02 PM   
andysomers

Keystone - your point also taken on Buford at 2nd Manassas - I had forgotten about that one.  However, I'd still say there are other US cavalry generals that I would much rather see as "100%-ers" that had much more responsibilty (not necessarily ABILITY) in the war, my examples still withstanding.

AS

(in reply to andysomers)
Post #: 31
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 10/23/2006 2:37:57 PM   
keystone

Yes, I would agree with you on Stoneman and Pleasonton. But in general it looks like much thought is going into this game, and that indeed bodes well for the rest of us.

(in reply to andysomers)
Post #: 32
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 10/25/2006 2:17:27 PM   
Andy Mac

Can I just check something my understanding is that over the course of a game you should have about 60 generals per side ?

15 x 100%
10 x 25% = 2 - 3
say 475 x 9% = 43

And that the more generals option will increase this number

Am I also correct in assuming that any general even one with a 1 rating is better than no general ?

Otherwise I can see McClellan being unused ;)

(in reply to andysomers)
Post #: 33
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 10/25/2006 6:34:27 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Can I just check something my understanding is that over the course of a game you should have about 60 generals per side ?

15 x 100%
10 x 25% = 2 - 3
say 475 x 9% = 43

And that the more generals option will increase this number

Am I also correct in assuming that any general even one with a 1 rating is better than no general ?

Otherwise I can see McClellan being unused ;)

I've never counted the generals, but if playing with More Generals you start with around 15, and every turn or so tend to get a new one. So, with two-week turns, you get around 20 in 1861 (if playing the standard November scenario), and then about 25 per year after that. So if the game goes into 1865 you might get around 100 generals. Of course, some of them will be killed in battle.

And there's always some chance of a benefit from generals, so it's best not to leave them unused. Rating numbers, after all, are used in randomized calculations and checks, so even someone with "Terrible" can get a lucky dice roll, so to speak.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 34
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/1/2006 7:30:43 AM   
Gil R.

In response to your feedback, I’ve made the following changes:
Cavalry ratings for Fitzhugh Lee have dropped from 8 to 7 and for Buford, Gregg and Custer from 7 to 6
Leadership ratings for Rosencrans and Armistead have been lowered from 7 to 6.
Tactical ratings for Custer and F. Lee have been raised from 3 to 5.

I decided not to make any changes to Hood’s ratings just yet, despite the misgivings of some. As I see it, very good arguments could be made for giving him high ratings OR for giving him low ratings – it depends which period of the war you’re focusing on. I’d prefer to wait until the game is out and more feedback is available before deciding on this.

For now, the generals datafile is set. Once the game is out we can revisit all these issues.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 35
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/1/2006 2:56:09 PM   
spruce

hey Gil, I had some idea's - one of them on Generals. When will you open the suggestion forum ?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 36
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/1/2006 6:02:39 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: spruce

hey Gil, I had some idea's - one of them on Generals. When will you open the suggestion forum ?

I'm not sure what you mean. You're free to start a thread here or on the main forum anytime.

The one downside is that not everyone on the development team is regularly visiting the public forum, since some are way too busy getting the final product together. In a few weeks, though, you'll have everyone's attention.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 11/1/2006 6:07:44 PM >

(in reply to spruce)
Post #: 37
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/13/2006 4:17:51 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

Grant and Lee have the same values?
Fine by me, but don't be surprised to have a minie ball crash through your front window sometime soon. Some of them southern boys get a bit twitchy about Saint Robert

I believe that Grant is probably over-rated in Tactics. Where he shown mightily in Lincoln's eyes was in getting out and actually doing something instead of "sitting down in the mud and bawling for more of everything". He fought one brilliant campaign in surrounding Vicksburg, and a quite competant one at Henry and Donaldson. But mostly his real strength was observed by Sherman. "Grant don't give a good God-Damn for what his enemy is doing..., but it scares the Hell out of me!". When Grant got his teeth into something, he didn't let go. Not so much tactical brilliance..., but a lot of bulldog determination. Which was what the Union (with it's superior resources) needed.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 38
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/17/2006 2:30:14 AM   
Murat

Do promotions affect ratings? Many of these generals were capable leading small units and only ended up falling to poor when they were out of their depth (Hood, for example). A few (Lee, Stuart, Grant, Sherman) remained unaffected in their rise from smaller commands to larger ones. Some actually improved as they reached larger command (Sheridan comes to mind).

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 39
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/17/2006 2:46:22 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

Do promotions affect ratings? Many of these generals were capable leading small units and only ended up falling to poor when they were out of their depth (Hood, for example). A few (Lee, Stuart, Grant, Sherman) remained unaffected in their rise from smaller commands to larger ones. Some actually improved as they reached larger command (Sheridan comes to mind).

No, ratings are permanently fixed.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 40
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/19/2006 11:32:24 PM   
Willmore

Just curious, what are Nathan Evans' ratings ?

(in reply to andysomers)
Post #: 41
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/22/2006 7:48:59 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Willmore

Just curious, what are Nathan Evans' ratings ?

I don't have access to the file at the moment -- not being on my usual computer -- but I'm quite sure that since he's not one of our 25- or 100-percenters his stats would have been randomized. If you have a suggestion for his ratings I'd certainly welcome it.

(in reply to Willmore)
Post #: 42
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/22/2006 9:43:22 AM   
Willmore

I'm no expert on ratings, but I would see him like this:

Initiative: 5
Leadership: 6
Tactics: 8
Command: 7
Cavalry: 3 (He had some pre-war experience, I think)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 43
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/25/2006 8:24:14 PM   
Gil R.

I just checked, and right now he's randomized, so he's at 5 Leadership, 5 Tactics, 1 Initiative, 5 Command, 0 Cavalry. I've noted down your suggestions. Whoever writes his bio will get input on his ratings, too, but if that person has no strong opinion we'll go with yours in a future patch. Thanks!

I'm curious -- why the interest in Evans in particular?

(in reply to Willmore)
Post #: 44
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/26/2006 11:55:26 AM   
Willmore

No particular reason, I just think he's an interesting personality in the war. 

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 45
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/29/2006 12:11:56 AM   
Texican

Who did the ratings? Gamers? They're going to rate generals like movie goers rate movies (if it's good it's a perfect score, if it's bad, it's zero). Well, sort of.

I would wonder if it would be better to mail off some surveys to a few noted historians (heck, college professors with a specialty in the Civil War, if nothing else). I think this method was used with the old Boothill game when collecting stats for historical gunfighters. (And the results can always be patched in at a later date.)

< Message edited by Texican -- 11/29/2006 12:16:06 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 46
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/29/2006 2:04:08 AM   
Gil R.

Actually, if you look over the numerous discussion threads about these ratings you'll see that some of the people on this forum know an awful lot about Civil War generals. I have no doubt that most of our generals have pretty reasonable ratings (and the rest can be tweaked once the game is out, if there is a consensus to do so).

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 47
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/30/2006 10:49:28 AM   
histgamer

I must say that general Hancock (though he never received an army command) is very much under rated.

As a tactician he is without a doubt better than Grant, (probably not Sherman) I would argue Sherman is the best tactician but grant was not a great tactician at all, a great strategist for sure however only an average tactician.

As far as leadership Hancock was probably the best leader the union had in the east (at least after Reynolds died)

Lets look at his tactics at brigade level he performed admirably at Williamsburg performing a very impressive flanking maneuver. At Sharpsburg he took over command of his division and lead very well given the circumstances, Fredericksburg he was forced to order the slaughter of his division despite the fact that he felt the attack was doomed to fail and told Burnside this rear guard action at Chancellorsville, then comes the hour of Hancock’s career. He took command of the 2n d corps the finest corps in the union army.

He rallied the army after the disastrous flanking maneuver at Gettysburg and made sure union forces took control of the heights, (clearly he was the best union corps commander as Meade sent him forward after Reynolds death to take command of the field) then on Hancock’s advise Meade despite the fact he didn’t really want to fight at Gettysburg then on the second day he performed well helping save what was left of sickles corps (he also was smart enough to realize when sickles was advancing his corps her remarked, we will see them tumbling back again (not a direct quote)) and on the third day he repulsed Pickett’s Charge. Yes most generals could have done that but most generals would not have stayed on his horse under heavy raillery barrage and refuse to dismount despite his men requesting he do so. That’s one HELL of a leader.

Despite his wound he returned to the army and fought on to great success in the overland campaign (though many do not know this part of his career most know him only for Gettysburg. During the overland campaign the army of the Potomac had been reformed and Grant trusted Hancock with the unions largest corps (still the 2nd corps) At the wilderness Hancock smashed Hills corps (because hill unwisely had his men sleep on their arms and not reform lines) he then was nearly destroyed by Longstreet in a counter attack why you might ask? (Burnsides corps left its position to the right of Hancock’s line and left his flank exposed without warning Hancock, longstreet found the hold and drove him) However after this near disaster Hancock railed his men (as Hancock was seen doing so many times over the course of the war) his men promptly made their line into a fortress so that any follow on attack would be suicidal. At Spotsylvania it was Hancock’s corps that broke the rebel line in the center though was not able to properly follow up the attack. Many know this.

However what they do not know was before Hancock’s corps was placed in the center it was on the flank, he bridged the river and managed to get 2 of his division astride Lee’s exposed flank. What happened then after Hancock had achieved this great feat without Lee knowing about it? (a Jackson like flanking maneuver) Grant ordered him to the center where he later assailed and carried the first trench. (Despite Hancock protesting)

Hancock’s men were then slaughtered by Grant at Cold Harbor as well, when Hancock refused to continue the attack despite grants inquiry to continue the attack (most commanders refused this order, and to grants credit he didn’t believe the attack really had done much because it was stooped so quick)

While Hancock Commanded the 2nd corps from 1863 1864 it wasn’t until the very end of 1864 that the corps even lost a single piece of artillery. This was without a doubt the best corps in the union army under the best leader in the union army. Hancock’s men loved him though he eventually left the army due to his wound at Gettysburg acting up.

I don’t claim that Hancock is a better strategist than Grant, However I would argue he was amongst the very best of union battlefield tacticians Grant was no master tactician at all he wasn’t even that great, he left the tactics to Meade he was more or less average on the tactical front. Grant was great on the strategic level and leadership level. I would argue Hancock and grant are equal in leadership.

6s seam very low for the best corps commander of the east as well as probably the second best tactician of the union army in the war.

< Message edited by flanyboy -- 11/30/2006 10:52:52 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 48
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 11/30/2006 9:58:21 PM   
Gil R.

Flanyboy,

I just saw your other post about Hancock and responded.

I'm open to adjusting Hancock's ratings -- what do others think? (If I remember correctly, he's a 25-percenter, which means that I came up with the ratings on my own and asked for people on the forum to tell me if I was nuts.)

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 49
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/1/2006 12:06:36 AM   
histgamer

Actually W.S. Hancock was on the list people voted for. (I think)

However what I had in mind would probably change the grand scheme of things on the tactical level for Grant should only be a 5 or 6 on tactics (probably a 6 all and all he was only an average commander on a tactical battlefield his strategy was what he was great at) while the rest is pretty accurate. Sherman should be an 8 on tactics and Hancock a 7. Hancock should also be an 7 on leadership, he rallied the army be share force of will at Gettysburg on July 1st and did more incredible things as described on many other occasions. (And his initiative was very good though he doesn’t get credit for it because he was only a union corps commander (union corps commanders never got the fame their confederate counterparts received) I would say at least a 6 on Initiative.   Also McClellan should without a doubt be an 8 on leadership. Sure he was very hesitant however his army loved him so much that had he wanted to (and some of his aids told him he should) he could have refused Lincolns order to step down and march on Washington itself.   Also McClellan should be at least a 6 on tactics, people fail to realize while his Initiative should be a 0 as he was incredibly hesitant McClellan was quiet possibly the best tactician in the union army. To his credit he was the only general Lee never caught napping, the 7 days were 6 union tactical victories with the 1 defeat costing the rebels dearly. McClellan was in all honesty a GREAT tactician however his other massive flaws tend to hide this fact. If someone could have just convinced him to keep advancing, (and fired his scouts and spies) he probably would have taken Richmond in 1862, Lee nearly destroyed his army trying to force Mac back; fortunately his other flaws allow the south to survive.

(in reply to andysomers)
Post #: 50
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/2/2006 9:21:00 PM   
ColinWright

John Bell Hood is rated as better than Braxton Bragg? Hood was a disaster -- unequivocally, irremediably, and indubitably. Bragg may not have been popular with the troops, but he did keep the Union from getting much of anywhere in Eastern Tennesee for a year and a half. Offhand, I'd just about reverse the ratings mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Then of course Forrest is underrated. Impossible to rate Forrest highly enough.

And of course we have the persistent myth that Grant was a great general. He wasn't too bad -- but consider the three failed assaults on Vicksburg, managing to lose at the Wilderness with a 2-1 superiority in manpower, Cold Harbor (one would think he would have learned from Vicksburg), and managing to run the Army of the Potomac into the ground. After Cold Harbor, they just wouldn't attack -- why do you think Lee was able to hold Richmond for so long? Grant would be more or less John Bell Hood with plenty of troops.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 51
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/2/2006 9:29:43 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

Grant and Lee have the same values?
Fine by me, but don't be surprised to have a minie ball crash through your front window sometime soon. Some of them southern boys get a bit twitchy about Saint Robert

Saints are merely human beings who have earned merit in the eyes of God. Bobby Lee was definitely a manifestation of the Supreme Being Himself.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 52
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/2/2006 9:32:13 PM   
ColinWright

Would it be practical to let players edit the generals ratings themselves if they choose? After all, I'd love to downgrade Grant -- and I doubt you'll ever do it.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 53
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/3/2006 12:48:53 AM   
chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

John Bell Hood is rated as better than Braxton Bragg? Hood was a disaster -- unequivocally, irremediably, and indubitably. Bragg may not have been popular with the troops, but he did keep the Union from getting much of anywhere in Eastern Tennesee for a year and a half. Offhand, I'd just about reverse the ratings mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

And of course we have the persistent myth that Grant was a great general. He wasn't too bad -- but consider the three failed assaults on Vicksburg, managing to lose at the Wilderness with a 2-1 superiority in manpower, Cold Harbor (one would think he would have learned from Vicksburg), and managing to run the Army of the Potomac into the ground. After Cold Harbor, they just wouldn't attack -- why do you think Lee was able to hold Richmond for so long? Grant would be more or less John Bell Hood with plenty of troops.

I'd rate Bragg a somewhat lesser form of disaster than Hood. Bragg was possibly the most hated general of the war both by the common soldiers and the generals serving under him. Even after being relieved of command of the Army of the Tennessee he was able to convince Davis to appoint Hood to replace Johnston and which basically ended the slim hope the South had of gaining independence.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 54
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/3/2006 1:29:26 AM   
Runsilentrundeep

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris0827

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

I'd rate Bragg a somewhat lesser form of disaster than Hood. Bragg was possibly the most hated general of the war both by the common soldiers and the generals serving under him. Even after being relieved of command of the Army of the Tennessee he was able to convince Davis to appoint Hood to replace Johnston and which basically ended the slim hope the South had of gaining independence.

Actually I am in the Grant camp, while you can site all of the 1864 evidence and make a very good argument I would counter that he completed the best single maneuver of the war, the isolating of Vicksburg. He used interior lines to defeat a superior force by dividing it and attacking it in detail, while he did have the tendancy to pay a huge butchers bill he was the general that won the war. Robert E Lee also made several mistakes (not all of them were at Gettysburg) some of which were bone headed (Malvern Hill comes to mind).

I have always thought that Southern generals have faired better than Northern ones due to the fact that it is most Civil War enthusiasts tend to worship R. E. Lee or share similiar geography. I am from Pennsylvania (one of the many places I am from ) and I roomed with a Virginian in college. He acted like the war (of "Northern Agression") ended two weeks prior and it was a draw. We were good freinds and I tended to needle him about the war ("maybe if you would have spent some time putting the mint julips down and built a gun factory or two you would have had a fighting chance" or "all that praise for a bunch of 0 and 1 losers" ) it was good natured but there were a couple of times that he really got emotional about it. It is a pretty prevalent view. A good example is the fact that when people talk about great cavalry raids they almost exclusivley talk about Stuart, Forrest and Morgan and always leave out the greatest raid of all, Grierson's. Why was it the best? Because it cut through the entire state of Mississippi and served a definate strategic purpose of cutting off communications to the Southern forces during the critical time before the siege of Vicksburg. Not bad for a music teacher. Also Wilson almost NEVER gets mentioned despite the fact that he cleaned Forrest's clock.

Bragg and Hood were both bad for different reasons, Hood was too aggressive, Bragg hesitated at the wrong times. I think Bragg benifitted from fighting Rosecrans and Buell while Hood fought better generals.

< Message edited by Runsilentrundeep -- 12/3/2006 1:44:57 AM >

(in reply to chris0827)
Post #: 55
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/3/2006 4:39:05 AM   
lvaces

quote:

McClellan should be at least a 6 on tactics, people fail to realize while his Initiative should be a 0 as he was incredibly hesitant McClellan was quiet possibly the best tactician in the union army. To his credit he was the only general Lee never caught napping, the 7 days were 6 union tactical victories with the 1 defeat costing the rebels dearly. McClellan was in all honesty a GREAT tactician however his other massive flaws tend to hide this fact.

Have to disagree on this one.  I don't think anyone argues that McClellan's tactics at Antietam were great.  Normal is a generous rating for that battle.  Also, at the 7 Days battles, he let Lee undercut one flank while most of his army sat doing nothing at the other.  And remember, Lee didn't break Little Mac's flank and force his retreat until the 2nd day.  A great tactician would have strengthed the key point on the battlefield (Gaines Mill) when given over a day to do it.  It is true that the Union army won multiple defensive battles along the retreat, but McClellan was not in command for most of those.  He was elsewhere while his corp commanders and soldiers won the battles without him.  A 4 could be arguable, a 6 is too high. 

quote:

The mark of greatness for a general is success.  Grant commanded in 4 major campaigns and won then all.  What more do you want?! 1) The Fort Donelson/Shiloh campaign where he broke the back of the CSA defense of western Tennessee (and if Halleck hadn't shown up to take over and slow things down, would have in all liklihood done more),  2) The Vicksburg campaign were he captured both an army and a key fortified city through what may be the most brilliant manuevering of the war, 3) Missionary Ridge where it took him only weeks to take things from the edge of disaster to complete success, and 4) Virginia 1864/65 where he captured the CSA's most important army and city.  If this isn't greatness for a general, then greatness has no meaning.  Remember Lee lost 3 of his campaigns - 1) Antietem (drawn battle but lost campaign), 2) Gettysburg, and 3) Virginia 1864/65.

Yes, Grant did lose 2-1 men against Lee in Virginia.  But this was not because he stupidly kept butting his head straight ahead against foritified positions.  His manuevering in Virginia was almost as good as in Mississippi.  He never went straight ahead, always moving to the left to get around his opponent's flank.  The only reason it bogged down in head-to-head slugging matches was that Lee was almost superhuman in seeing what was coming and judging the right moment to move to his right.  Against most generals, Grant would have probably won his victory on the battlefield or at least had near even attrition.  And remember, if it hadn't been for that (from Lee's point of view) luckly forest fire in the Wilderness forcing Anderson's corps to move on to Spotsylvania Courthouse earlier than Lee's orders called for, Grant would have beaten Lee there and the campaign (and war) might have ended very soon thereafter.  It is true that Grant usually had more troops, but it is also true he was almost always on the offensive, a huge handicap with the new rifle technology.  What would have happened if Grant had been in Hood's place on the CSA side and Hood on the Union side?  Well, we will never know, but we do know Grant always won and Hood destroyed the one army he had.    

(in reply to Runsilentrundeep)
Post #: 56
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/3/2006 5:09:54 AM   
Runsilentrundeep

Beating the Grant drum a little more, I forget the text I read it but the passage was brillant and I misquote:

"Lee was the best of the old generals, Grant was the first of the new"

It should be noted that the rifled musket guarenteed that any major battle would have a large attrition element to it. Lee never regained initiative after the wilderness, Grant's choice to move south instead of back to Washington sealed the fate of the ANV.

-also-

In reality the two great campaigns of Robert E. Lee IMHO are 2nd Bull Run (yeah yeah I know Manassas) and Chancellersville. Of the two Chancellersville is his masterpiece, it was a strategic masterpiece. I saw up a few posts ago that Grant gave tactics over to others and just had strategic vision. Well if that was his style it was Lee's as well, in fact more so. Lee never gave orders, he made suggestions, and he tended to make suggenstions to the right people at the right time. Lee was no micromanager, and with Jackson, Stuart and Longstreet (and some very good division commanders as well) he did not need to be.

I think his greatest strength, (even more than his strategic brilliance) was his ability to make such a fractious group of generals work so well together ie his leadership/managment. Now the only team that could compete to the ANV (1862 to mid 1863) was Grant's by the end of Chattanooga, that was another group that had worked together for a year. Grant had to go east to a team he did not mold or even work with, he brought over some light staff and Sheridan but most of his group stayed with Sherman. The Potomac was never really his army, and it still had the disease of defeat in when he took command. There was even a large faction that was anti Lincoln and pro McClellan among the generals (Custer is a good example). By late 1864-1865 this had changed.

When you look at the team approach it should be noticed that the ANV's abitliy degraded due to general casualities and transfers. No one really replaced Jackson, Hood left (he was a great Division commander, a lousy Army one) Hill was better at division command then Corps, Stuart's death impared the army's eyes and so on. By 1865 the leadership (not to mention the numbers and supplies) of the ANV did not compare favorably to the AOTP.

< Message edited by Runsilentrundeep -- 12/3/2006 5:40:03 AM >

(in reply to lvaces)
Post #: 57
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/3/2006 7:06:48 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Runsilentrundeep

Bragg and Hood were both bad for different reasons, Hood was too aggressive, Bragg hesitated at the wrong times. I think Bragg benifitted from fighting Rosecrans and Buell while Hood fought better generals.

It is true that Hood faced better generals. I also wouldn't want to get trapped into arguing for 'Braxton Bragg: military genius.'

However, I think Bragg gets underrated. In point of fact, he never got badly defeated until Missionary Ridge, and he did manage to keep vastly superior Union forces virtually paralyzed in Eastern and central Tennesee from Shiloh until Missionary Ridge with often bold maneuvering and timely withdrawals. Corinth, his subsequent advance into Kentucky, his (admittedly badly conducted) victory at Chickamauga -- all these helped keep the axe from falling sooner than it did.

A lot of generals did a lot worse -- Hood, for example. So I would think Bragg should be somewhere in the middle of the ratings -- even if he was an evil-tempered bastard.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 12/3/2006 7:20:52 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 58
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/3/2006 7:16:47 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Runsilentrundeep

Beating the Grant drum a little more, I forget the text I read it but the passage was brillant and I misquote:

"Lee was the best of the old generals, Grant was the first of the new"

It should be noted that the rifled musket guarenteed that any major battle would have a large attrition element to it. Lee never regained initiative after the wilderness, Grant's choice to move south instead of back to Washington sealed the fate of the ANV.

-also-

In reality the two great campaigns of Robert E. Lee IMHO are 2nd Bull Run (yeah yeah I know Manassas) and Chancellersville. Of the two Chancellersville is his masterpiece, it was a strategic masterpiece. I saw up a few posts ago that Grant gave tactics over to others and just had strategic vision. Well if that was his style it was Lee's as well, in fact more so. Lee never gave orders, he made suggestions, and he tended to make suggenstions to the right people at the right time. Lee was no micromanager, and with Jackson, Stuart and Longstreet (and some very good division commanders as well) he did not need to be.

I think his greatest strength, (even more than his strategic brilliance) was his ability to make such a fractious group of generals work so well together ie his leadership/managment. Now the only team that could compete to the ANV (1862 to mid 1863) was Grant's by the end of Chattanooga, that was another group that had worked together for a year. Grant had to go east to a team he did not mold or even work with, he brought over some light staff and Sheridan but most of his group stayed with Sherman. The Potomac was never really his army, and it still had the disease of defeat in when he took command. There was even a large faction that was anti Lincoln and pro McClellan among the generals (Custer is a good example). By late 1864-1865 this had changed.

When you look at the team approach it should be noticed that the ANV's abitliy degraded due to general casualities and transfers. No one really replaced Jackson, Hood left (he was a great Division commander, a lousy Army one) Hill was better at division command then Corps, Stuart's death impared the army's eyes and so on. By 1865 the leadership (not to mention the numbers and supplies) of the ANV did not compare favorably to the AOTP.

You ignore the parallel degeneration that affected the Army of the Potomac. Grant managed to inflict 100% casualties on his army from the Wilderness to Cold Harbor -- and the replacements were far worse than the originals had been. At Cold Harbor, when the order to attack came down, many of the regiments simply raised their muskets up, fired them, and lay back down again.

I think this -- not some special quality of the Richmond defenses -- goes far to explain why Lee was able to hold on until the Spring of 1865. However weak the Army of Northern Virginia, the Army of the Potomac was simply no longer willing to assault it if it was ready and waiting for it. Grant essentially ruined his army as an offensive tool. That's hardly the mark of a great general.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 59
RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES - 12/3/2006 7:36:48 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: lvaces

quote:

McClellan should be at least a 6 on tactics, people fail to realize while his Initiative should be a 0 as he was incredibly hesitant McClellan was quiet possibly the best tactician in the union army. To his credit he was the only general Lee never caught napping, the 7 days were 6 union tactical victories with the 1 defeat costing the rebels dearly. McClellan was in all honesty a GREAT tactician however his other massive flaws tend to hide this fact.

Have to disagree on this one. I don't think anyone argues that McClellan's tactics at Antietam were great. Normal is a generous rating for that battle. Also, at the 7 Days battles, he let Lee undercut one flank while most of his army sat doing nothing at the other. And remember, Lee didn't break Little Mac's flank and force his retreat until the 2nd day. A great tactician would have strengthed the key point on the battlefield (Gaines Mill) when given over a day to do it. It is true that the Union army won multiple defensive battles along the retreat, but McClellan was not in command for most of those. He was elsewhere while his corp commanders and soldiers won the battles without him. A 4 could be arguable, a 6 is too high.

I suspect that one reason McClellan tends to get points from people is that Lee said he was the best of his opponents -- and I suspect that one reason Lee said that wass that McClellan was the closest thing to a gentleman among the opponents he faced. Lee was not especially cold-blooded or rational -- and episodes like Grant's letting the wounded Union troops die out on the field after Cold Harbor must have excited his contempt.
quote:

quote:

The mark of greatness for a general is success. Grant commanded in 4 major campaigns and won then all. What more do you want?! 1) The Fort Donelson/Shiloh campaign where he broke the back of the CSA defense of western Tennessee (and if Halleck hadn't shown up to take over and slow things down, would have in all liklihood done more), 2) The Vicksburg campaign were he captured both an army and a key fortified city through what may be the most brilliant manuevering of the war, 3) Missionary Ridge where it took him only weeks to take things from the edge of disaster to complete success, and 4) Virginia 1864/65 where he captured the CSA's most important army and city. If this isn't greatness for a general, then greatness has no meaning. Remember Lee lost 3 of his campaigns - 1) Antietem (drawn battle but lost campaign), 2) Gettysburg, and 3) Virginia 1864/65.

Yes, Grant did lose 2-1 men against Lee in Virginia. But this was not because he stupidly kept butting his head straight ahead against foritified positions. His manuevering in Virginia was almost as good as in Mississippi. He never went straight ahead, always moving to the left to get around his opponent's flank. The only reason it bogged down in head-to-head slugging matches was that Lee was almost superhuman in seeing what was coming and judging the right moment to move to his right. Against most generals, Grant would have probably won his victory on the battlefield or at least had near even attrition. And remember, if it hadn't been for that (from Lee's point of view) luckly forest fire in the Wilderness forcing Anderson's corps to move on to Spotsylvania Courthouse earlier than Lee's orders called for, Grant would have beaten Lee there and the campaign (and war) might have ended very soon thereafter. It is true that Grant usually had more troops, but it is also true he was almost always on the offensive, a huge handicap with the new rifle technology. What would have happened if Grant had been in Hood's place on the CSA side and Hood on the Union side? Well, we will never know, but we do know Grant always won and Hood destroyed the one army he had.

Well, I don't see winning with a stronger army as proof of much of anything. Else we get 'Norman Schwartzkopf: Military Genius.' How 'bout those Germans overrunning Poland? Real proof of great generalship.

Look: Grant had his strong points. For one, as Lincoln said, he fought. He would move. Largely, the Vicksburg campaign you cite was no more than an example of that. Grant didn't come up with this brilliant plan. He just kept trying things until something worked. That is not genius. It's only determination. If I'm trying to get my car to start, and I test the battery, and then the solenoid, and then the starter, and finally find the problem, I'm not a car repair whiz -- I'm just determined.

Moreover, Grant's career was studded with egregious blunders that would have cost him defeat if he had not enjoyed such numerical superiority. At Shiloh, he managed to let himself be completely surprised by a Confederate force that he knew was at Corinth. In the course of the siege of Vicksburg, he launched a bloody and futile assault -- and when it failed, tried two more equally bloody and futile assaults. Cold Harbor was a masterpeice of bad generalship. As I said, I don't really see any reason to see him as more than a Union John Bell Hood with more troops at his disposal.

Sure: others might differ and rate Grant as better than Hood. But as good as Lee? Hardly. That he ranks so high in the Union pantheon is more a tribute to the lack of competition than to anything else. A good man to pick if you've got plenty of replacements and want to win the war sooner rather than later -- but that's about all that can be said for him. Sort of an American Haig.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 12/3/2006 7:41:04 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to lvaces)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Ratings >> RE: GENERALS: FINAL RATINGS VALUES Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI